• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Don't let me down, exciting off season. Let's fuck some shit up (which will of course be 25 dollar fines and losing their 15th round pick).

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Don't let me down, exciting off season. Let's fuck some shit up (which will of course be 25 dollar fines and losing their 15th round pick).
When the Timberwolves were caught paying Joe Smith under the table in 1999 they had to give up $3.5 million, had five straight draft picks taken away, Joe Smith's current and past two contracts were voided(meaning he lost his bird rights), the owner got suspended for two years, and the GM had to take a leave of absence.

If a team gets caught we'll see what happens.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The NBA is starting an investigation over teams paying players under the table at the request of multiple owners. We've also had stuff like Bobby Portis outright saying to the media that the Knicks contacted him five days before free agency started lol

Pure posturing from the nbas part. Like I'm supposed to believe guys like Horford, KD, Kyrie, and Kemba made these life changing decisions within minutes of free agency without having any prior contact with the team. Stop treating your fans lile
Idiots.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Pure posturing from the nbas part. Like I'm supposed to believe guys like Horford, KD, Kyrie, and Kemba made these life changing decisions within minutes of free agency without having any prior contact with the team. Stop treating your fans lile
Idiots.
Umm. KD never even met with the Nets
GM. They found out he was signing on Instagram and the Nets took the risk.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Idiots.
Silver and certain owners legitimately seem to have reached the point this offseason where this stuff is pissing them off. I don't really see what they could do to stop it, but there's probably going to be talks about it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The only solution is to reverse all the trades and moves that happened this offseason. That would never happen but it would be kind of amazing. Clips and Lakers would be beyond screwed. Heck, reversing the CP3 "trade" basically tore that Lakers team apart, and it didn't even come to fruition.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Idiots.

bruh

$3 billion worth of contracts signed in the first 24 hours of free agency

majority of which were announced and confirmed minutes after midnight

they had those meetings and made those decisions made fast

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Silver and certain owners legitimately seem to have reached the point this offseason where this stuff is pissing them off. I don't really see what they could do to stop it, but there's probably going to be talks about it.

The owners are the ones breaking their own rules. The players aren't signing for and trading for themselves. It's pure bullshit spinning from the owners to make players look like the bad guys.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
this all shows just how bad Magic was at tampering

i mean god damn
What do you me-

WF4qbHX.gif

oh

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kerr sure has a lot to say about AD, who only had one year left on his deal but is for sure tight lipped about Paul George a year after signing a 4 year deal. Fuck off, Kerr.

I'm sure he doesn't bat an eye when players get traded either. Contracts don't mean shit to GM's, why should they to players?

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Kerr sure has a lot to say about AD, who only had one year left on his deal but is for sure tight lipped about Paul George a year after signing a 4 year deal. Fuck off, Kerr.

I'm sure he doesn't bat an eye when players get traded either. Contracts don't mean shit to GM's, why should they to players?

The PG situation was not like the AD one

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Paul George after signing a max for the Knicks in 2 years. "I grew up in California but the allure of the Big Apple was always something I had my eye on".

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PG situation was not like the AD one
You're right, it was worse. He had JUST signed a 4 year deal with a team he had "unfinished business" with.

AD gave his entire career up to this point to one team who never put anything worthwhile around him.

So yeah, I understand it's fuck the Lakers all day but saying AD did something worse than PG is dumb as fuck.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Here's where we need Dr. Strange to peek into the reality where PG13 went to the Lakers:

Westbrook still revered in OKC because he's putting up stats and he doesn't have help around him (Oladipo never becomes what he is in Indiana) and fans blame the team and not him.

Lakers give up assets for PG13 and don't get the 4th pick, so don't have enough to trade for AD. Eventually sign Ingram and/or Ball to a max.

Clips trade for AD and Kawhi still spurns the Lakers to sign with them.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Here's where we need Dr. Strange to peek into the reality where PG13 went to the Lakers:

Westbrook still revered in OKC because he's putting up stats and he doesn't have help around him (Oladipo never becomes what he is in Indiana) and fans blame the team and not him.

Lakers give up assets for PG13 and don't get the 4th pick, so don't have enough to trade for AD. Eventually sign Ingram and/or Ball to a max.

Clips trade for AD and Kawhi still spurns the Lakers to sign with them.

Should go back farther to when Stern nixed the CP3 to Lakers trade. Maybe old man Kobe still be playing.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Should go back farther to when Stern nixed the CP3 to Lakers trade. Maybe old man Kobe still be playing.

Knowing what we know now about CP3, that team would have blown up. IIRC, they were trading away Odom and Gasol and getting CP3. That means their hopes would have rested on CP3, Kobe, and Bynum. Bynum would've still been done, though maybe he doesn't go bowling. But CP3 and Kobe would injure themselves in some kind of locker room brawl.

Hornets would have had Dragic, KMart, Scola, and Odom and would've been just good enough not to get AD.

Clips would still have had a decent young core around Blake and still not make the WCF. But maybe Sterling never slips up and gets ousted, so overall they would've still been a joke.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing what we know now about CP3, that team would have blown up. IIRC, they were trading away Odom and Gasol and getting CP3. That means their hopes would have rested on CP3, Kobe, and Bynum. Bynum would've still been done, though maybe he doesn't go bowling. But CP3 and Kobe would injure themselves in some kind of locker room brawl.

Hornets would have had Dragic, KMart, Scola, and Odom and would've been just good enough not to get AD.

Clips would still have had a decent young core around Blake and still not make the WCF. But maybe Sterling never slips up and gets ousted, so overall they would've still been a joke.
The Lakers probably would've still ended up getting Dwight for Bynum, who would end up crying in the locker room.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Still better than all those picks for broken Steve Nash. Kobe and CP3 might find mutual respect in not being afraid to be a dick to one another and teammates lol

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Forget PG The example I would give to Kerr if he wants to talk about loyalty and commitment is Blake Griffin. Explain that one away in this context, Steve. Or maybe just admit that both sides are only out for themselves, and quit trying to put the onus on the players to preserve loyalty and fan commitment and fairness and parity when the front offices themselves don't give a fuck about it when it's convinenent.

And if you want to argue that a player getting traded is just the cost of doing business, or "negotiate a no-trade clause then", I would argue that dealing with trade demands from star players is also the cost of doing business. Blake didn't have to re-up with the Clippers, just like the Pelicans didn't have to trade AD.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forget PG The example I would give to Kerr if he wants to talk about loyalty and commitment is Blake Griffin. Explain that one away in this context, Steve. Or maybe just admit that both sides are only out for themselves, and quit trying to put the onus on the players to preserve loyalty and fan commitment and fairness and parity when the front offices themselves don't give a fuck about it when it's convinenent.

And if you want to argue that a player getting traded is just the cost of doing business, or "negotiate a no-trade clause then", I would argue that dealing with trade demands from star players is also the cost of doing business. Blake didn't have to re-up with the Clippers, just like the Pelicans didn't have to trade AD.

Agreed, 100%. Kerr is just being a baby because he'll actually have to coach a team that isn't hilariously stacked against everyone else.

I'd also argue a team that went 73-9 signing a top 3 player in the NBA the following season is much worse for the NBA.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Eh, I can see where he's coming from. Not the whole "you owe the team" garbage because like I said before, the team and the fans will discard you as soon as they see an opportunity. But in this case an agent held the team hostage, which I don't think is a good precedent. If you want freedom, give up some money and sign short deals with options and force the team to build, but if you sign a long term deal, unless they're intentionally harming your livelihood or something I'd say play the contract you signed.

What made the AD thing different was how adamant they were that he wouldn't play for any other team but this short list which absolutely killed his trade value. Granted, they still got a huge haul, but that's more on Pelinka.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I can see where he's coming from. Not the whole "you owe the team" garbage because like I said before, the team and the fans will discard you as soon as they see an opportunity. But in this case an agent held the team hostage, which I don't think is a good precedent. If you want freedom, give up some money and sign short deals with options and force the team to build, but if you sign a long term deal, unless they're intentionally harming your livelihood or something I'd say play the contract you signed.

What made the AD thing different was how adamant they were that he wouldn't play for any other team but this short list which absolutely killed his trade value. Granted, they still got a huge haul, but that's more on Pelinka.
Players give lists of teams they want all the time when demanding trades. It's nothing new or different.

Davis ended up on the Lakers because teams weren't willing to spend enough to beat out the Lakers offer for various reasons.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Players give lists of teams they want all the time when demanding trades. It's nothing new or different.

This is the first time I can remember that it was essentially a list with one name on it. I think the official list was the Knicks, Bucks, Clippers, or Lakers. Bucks had Giannis and a bunch of expiring contracts and no picks, and I don't remember anyone actually considering the Clips anything but a smokescreen. The only other talk was if the Knicks got the number one pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.