ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
wrong pic

9bgmxS0.png
Reminder to everyone that these are the actual mission badges for the Opportunity and Spirt rovers:

Nasa_mer_daffy.png
Nasa_mer_marvin.png

www.spaceref.com

Marvin The Martian and Daffy Duck as Duck Dodgers Prepare for Upcoming NASA Missions to Mars

Warner Bros. Consumer Products Commissioned by TEAM DELTA to Design Out-Of-This-World Patches Featuring The Beloved Space Traveling Looney Tunes Characters Marvin The Martian and Daffy Duck (as the fearless Duck […]

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How long will it take for the telescope to get everything open and calibrated? It's crazy to me the cost of this thing and there's still no guarantee it opens itself and sets up correctly, just mind blowing feat of engineering.

Also, if it does set up correctly, so we know how long before we start getting pictures back?

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
How long will it take for the telescope to get everything open and calibrated? It's crazy to me the cost of this thing and there's still no guarantee it opens itself and sets up correctly, just mind blowing feat of engineering.

Also, if it does set up correctly, so we know how long before we start getting pictures back?
Sometime around June is when we should start getting images back. Lots of tests and calibrations for the next 5-6 months

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
jwst.nasa.gov

Where Is Webb? NASA/Webb

During Webb's launch, deployment and commissioning, 'WhereIsWebb' tracked Webb's 'flight' to L2 orbit, its state and progress during its deployment and commissioning process, and finally the release of its first images. This process is now complete. During this process, the page constantly...

100 miles to go.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Final critical steps are ensuring the cooling system works and the instruments properly turn on. The rest should be a breeze. Calibration won't be an issue since all the actuators are working

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
What I wana know is where do I get one of those sweet ass t-shirts that the Astronomer in the center of the live stream is wearing? Me want.

May 21, 2018

Right now, as you sit in your chair or wherever, seemingly immobile, the earth is orbiting the sun at 67,000 miles an hour. The solar system itself is orbiting the Milky Way's galactic center at 490,000 miles per hour. And all the galaxies in our neighborhood are also moving towards the Great Attractor. The Earth is moving, with respect to the cosmic background radiation, at about 390 kilometers per second.

You are moving, even when you don't want to.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I TRIED TO TELL YA'LL 😎
Heh, I dunno about you, but some of us have been a bit scarred by the various failures of the past. I wasn't that worried about this, but given the cost of the mission and the nature of space just being hard, I think healthy skepticism has been (and continues to be) warranted. That said, I appreciate all of the optimism you've been bringing!

Indalecio

Oct 27, 2017
What's next? When can we see first images?

Wait for it to cool down some more and do some additional alignment/calibration. Won't see any images until late June.

jwst.nasa.gov

Deployment Explorer Webb/NASA

Interactively explore Webb's deployments on this page. Webb is NASA's largest and most powerful space science telescope ever constructed. Webb’s enormous size and frigid operating temperature present extraordinary engineering challenges. After launching from French Guiana, the observatory will...

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Wait for it to cool down some more and do some additional alignment/calibration. Won't see any images until late June.

jwst.nasa.gov

Deployment Explorer Webb/NASA

Interactively explore Webb's deployments on this page. Webb is NASA's largest and most powerful space science telescope ever constructed. Webb’s enormous size and frigid operating temperature present extraordinary engineering challenges. After launching from French Guiana, the observatory will...
Thank you. It's amazing how everything is working out so far. This will be such an amazing tool for science.