PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You don't get it, when everyone shouts "For Frodo" in the final battle it's because TLOR was pandering to Japanese teenagers.

The irony is that even LOTR stumbles in its execution, because outside of the three other hobbits and Gandalf, nobody in the Fellowship is really friends with Frodo. Boromir, Legolas and Gimli barely ever interact with him. Aragorn is nice to him, but Aragorn is nice to everybody.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics is a game where most of your units are generic characters with no personality or intervention in the plot, like in XCOM. Basically, there is no one Ramza can form a friendship with.

Even characters like Agrias stop participating in the plot once they join you. This is normal in SRPGs where your armies are made up of generic units that can suffer permadeath.

Doesn't the same about permadeath can be said about Fire Emblem, though? And yet...

Also, there's a ton of special units, it's not all generic units. Disagree about them not participating on the plot as well.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Persona games are very good at making you think they're going to be about something, and then running away from complex issues screaming.

P4 is a cowardly game. A game I do truly enjoy, but it brought up complex issues that young people face and then stuffed them under a carpet so fast to avoid saying anything it made my head spin.
Now this is a criticism I think is actually fair, especially for P5. But like, even as a teenager playing P4 it struck me as really awkward and problematic that both Kanji and Naoto have extremely queer coded dungeons and storylines that both cap off in the "They aren't gay/trans, they just chafe against some societal gender roles" and like it's good to point out how those gender roles can be bullshit, but wrapping that up in queer coding and then completely abandoning that and treating it as irrelevant not once, but twice definitely felt bad

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Now this is a criticism I think is actually fair, especially for P5. But like, even as a teenager playing P4 it struck me as really awkward and problematic that both Kanji and Naoto have extremely queer coded dungeons and storylines that both cap off in the "They aren't gay/trans, they just chafe against some societal gender roles" and like it's good to point out how those gender roles can be bullshit, but wrapping that up in queer coding and then completely abandoning that and treating it as irrelevant not once, but twice definitely felt bad

Don't forget about Persona 5's first arc being about male abuse of young women, which is then immediately followed up by the male party members constantly sexualizing (and at one point, literally sexually assaulting) their "sexy" female party member. The way the game treats Ann after the Kamoshida arc is disgusting. And that's to say nothing of the absolutely insane optics of the Kawakami social link storyline.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Doesn't the same about permadeath can be said about Fire Emblem, though? And yet...

Also, there's a ton of special units, it's not all generic units. Disagree about them not participating on the plot as well.
There are key differences

In Fire Emblem, every character has some kind of story or personality, with a unique design. There is a support system created around it.

And even then, most Fire Emblem games aren't really about the power of friendship at all.

Most of the characters on your team in FFT are like "Bob, he bas the generic black mage skin."

Regarding FFT's special characters, they function similarly to most Fire Emblem characters: They are subject to permadeath, so they disappear from the plot once they are recruited.

Cid, Agrias, Rapha, Mariach, Meliadoul... They stop being relevant to the plot once they become part of the team. They are relevant BEFORE, but stop after that.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget about Persona 5's first arc being about male abuse of young women, which is then immediately followed up by the male party members constantly sexualizing (and at one point, literally sexually assaulting) their "sexy" female party member. The way the game treats Ann after the Kamoshida arc is disgusting. And that's to say nothing of the absolutely insane optics of the Kawakami social link storyline.
Oh yeah, even as someone who loves P5 it's full of problematic elements and has a problem where I feel like it's trying to have it's cake and eat it too with regards to it's social commentary, all while kind of being empty and vague about what the actual solutions or a better society looks like. It's also why I think the Royal specific storyline feels much better since I feel like they were better at tackling the more personal storyline there than the general society commentary they had for the main game. But it's also kind of worth noting that none of these problems would be even remotely helped if we removed the "power of friendship" type speeches and elements, because they come from a more fundamental thematic place than the surface level writing and presentation

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The people at Atlus seemed especially worried about the transcoded nature of Naoto's story, to the point where they made a whole ass sequel manga just for her where she grows up and is super hot and is solving crimes with her hot boyfriend who's also a motorcycle.

The powers that be at Atlus seem like they want to be part of the conversation regarding issues of youth, but they sure flub their messaging every fucking time. I'm not even gonna go into Catherine. It's pretty annoying knowing ahead of time that if you play a mainline Atlus game, you're going to get hit with some hardcore homophobia/transphobia for literally no raisen.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, even as someone who loves P5 it's full of problematic elements and has a problem where I feel like it's trying to have it's cake and eat it too with regards to it's social commentary, all while kind of being empty and vague about what the actual solutions or a better society looks like. It's also why I think the Royal specific storyline feels much better since I feel like they were better at tackling the more personal storyline there than the general society commentary they had for the main game. But it's also kind of worth noting that none of these problems would be even remotely helped if we removed the "power of friendship" type speeches and elements, because they come from a more fundamental thematic place than the surface level writing and presentation

I also think Persona 5's main storyline commits the same narrative sin, so to speak, that the Doctor Who episode "Kerblam!" does, where the main characters spend all their time whining about injustice, but the game winds up supporting the flawed modern-liberal ideology that oppressive systems and structures aren't the problem, corrupt individuals misusing those systems are. And if we just punch those corrupt individuals in the face and restore the status quo, the world will "fix" itself.

The whole political ideology of Persona 5 wants to LOOK like a bunch of heroic rogues rebelling against society, but none of the main characters can really escape from the status quo, nor do they really try to beyond the barest surface level, so they all wind up supporting it anyways despite knocking down corrupt avatars of said status quo.

I just don't think Katsura Hashino is nearly as deep or insightful as he thinks he is, and the CONSISTENT trend of aggressive homophobia and transphobia in all of his games speaks to him being someone who, like Mesoian said, wants to be seen being part of the conversation but really has almost nothing to contribute to it beyond bland overtures.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think most of the real issues with Persona's writing really have nothing to do with the tone or friendship speeches or such, it's that the people writing it don't actually seem to have particularly strong views on the subjects their writing on, so things end up seeming very milquetoast and empty once you try to deep dive on their themes. They're good at identifying problems with society on a surface level, but don't necessarily have anything interesting to say about them so they write about themes which are inherently resonant but their actual answers are typically muddled and uninteresting. And this is before we consider the issues with sexism and homophobia/transphobia that clearly plague some of the writers. So their writing tends to be good until the point where they need to really drill in the answers, because the writers don't have them. This isn't something that can be solved by changing the tone or anything though. I haven't played Catherine because of the blatant transphobia being far more prominent by all accounts and them kind of doubling down on it with the expanded rerelease

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
Power of friendship > power of inheritance/destiny

would rather fight for my friends than fight for my dad, the legendary hero

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
I mean if you keep playing games/consuming narratives where a group of people join together for a common cause higher than themselves you're gonna get the power of friendship, it just comes with the territory.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I also think Persona 5's main storyline commits the same narrative sin, so to speak, that the Doctor Who episode "Kerblam!" does, where the main characters spend all their time whining about injustice, but the game winds up supporting the flawed modern-liberal ideology that oppressive systems and structures aren't the problem, corrupt individuals misusing those systems are. And if we just punch those corrupt individuals in the face and restore the status quo, the world will "fix" itself.

The whole political ideology of Persona 5 wants to LOOK like a bunch of heroic rogues rebelling against society, but none of the main characters can really escape from the status quo, nor do they really try to beyond the barest surface level, so they all wind up supporting it anyways despite knocking down corrupt avatars of said status quo.

I just don't think Katsura Hashino is nearly as deep or insightful as he thinks he is, and the CONSISTENT trend of aggressive homophobia and transphobia in all of his games speaks to him being someone who, like Mesoian said, wants to be seen being part of the conversation but really has almost nothing to contribute to it beyond bland overtures.
I mean I actually largely agree with you on this as seen by my previous post. I still liked the story of Persona 5, but that's more because I generally enjoyed the characters and their personal interactions and the moment to moment stuff (even if there are definitely a number of huge missteps there as well) then how it handled it's greater thematic points most of the time

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain

A huge problem with Persona that will be seen in each subsequent entry is that wanting to talk about society in a deep way without alienating a huge part of the pre-established audience is basically an impossible task. The premise of these games is directly tied to the writers having a clear, singular vision of the story they want to tell and the message they want to convey. That's not happening in a JRPG targeting +5 million copies with a room of 10 writers.

My hot take is that Persona should have never been this popular.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
A huge problem with Persona that will be seen in each subsequent entry is that wanting to talk about society in a deep way without alienating a huge part of the pre-established audience is basically an impossible task. The premise of these games is directly tied to the writers having a clear, singular vision of the story they want to tell and the message they want to convey. That's not happening in a JRPG targeting +5 million copies with a room of 10 writers.

My hot take is that Persona should have never been this popular.
It's also shackled to the urban fantasy curse, where it can't dramatically change the status quo because it's supposed to be set in a close approximation of the Real World, and any drastic changes to the world would push any sequels further away from "easily relatable teenage life with light New Weird trappings".

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's also shackled to the urban fantasy curse, where it can't dramatically change the status quo because it's supposed to be set in a close approximation of the Real World, and any drastic changes to the world would push any sequels further away from "easily relatable teenage life with light New Weird trappings".

Yup. This is also shackled even further by the Persona games technically remaining in the same universe each game. So every Persona game needs to somehow have their group of idealistic cookie-cutter teens SOLVE society yet also remain canon to the previous Persona games that came before it, so each one winds up in this weird little silo where the main characters punch a manifestation of society's collective juvenile woes in the face, and then 7 years later there's an entirely new one for an entirely different group of teenagers to punch in the face.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To me it's just fascinating to realize that writers from an entire nation, some of whom were born in 1960s and 70s going all the way up to Millennium born generation has always come to the same conclusion in regards to a world ending threat in their narrative.
Japanese writing in general is just on a lower tier for me and I'm sure everyone who consumes the media have accepted it

hmm-thinking.gif

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain

Sorry to show my hate boner for Persona 5 even further but this is a huge thing the writers for Persona 3 and 4 understood that 5 completely missed the mark upon. They knew they were games that wanted to be relatable to it's target audience without talking about grand politically charged storylines that would affect the world around these characters (at least not in bullshit magic ways). That's why they decided to focus on insightful introspective aspects of the common human experience such as accepting your own death and yourself. It's true that they could have gone even further with these ideas but the basic message still works because these are problems that really can only be solved by exploring and understanding yourself and other people. The bread and butter of nu-Persona.

Dealing with statutory rape, or corrupt politicians, or capitalistic working conditions does NOT work with a simple overarching theme such as "Rebellion". These are complex problems, with complex solutions. If you want to be political go ahead, but you NEED to talk about politics with a semblance of depth. Persona 5 doesn't work in the structural level. It completely misses the mark of what the series could potentially explore with the P3 formula and plotting.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
If you want to succeed in real life, you can't do everything by yourself. Having people that you can depend on and actually trust, gets you all to a higher level.

I like that message.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I assume because Japanese media constitutes the bulk of their media consumption...

There's that but I also think that jrpg's are (or at least were, i don't think it's as true nowadays) very accessible story heavy games that aimed their demo on the younger side of where a western "YA" novel would be.

And so you have people that grew up loving them wishing for more complex stories than what was attempted.

Like, Persona is a coming of age story of a group of friends in high school. How could it not be about the power of friendship? That's pretty much globally how these stories tend to go.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
While I like Persona, even if its quite imperfect, and think it's one of the better series to really cultivate and build up friendships one issue I have with the social links system is how pre-determined and fixed they are. I'm finally playing Royal right now, mid game, and this was something that dawned on me the other day. More specifically how you're often actively rewarded with just appeasing the person with what they want to hear rather than saying anything that might challenge their viewpoint. By and large the MC doesn't help these people beyond just being an amateur therapist for the other characters to talk at and work through their issues on their own, with the occasional positive word. The social links themselves often don't do much for me in building up a believable friendship between characters. That's usually achieved through the main story events of the party doing something together like friends would, going out to dinner, putting a party together, going out to the city or whatever. But the social links where they have the opportunity for one on one more personal and intimate interactions it's kind of meh.

Compared to a lot of western RPGs where the one on one conversations are the main area you often develop a connection with party members, as well as the fact that your input can often really make a difference and influence how that character develops. The bonding actively relies on a more back and forth conversation with direct input by the player that can vary based on their choices. Though on the flip side a lot of western RPGs have the issue of the PC being too influential on their party members to the point where you can kind of mold them to your will which takes agency away from them. Something KotoR 2 directly explores and deconstructs this in a great way. Overall western RGPs tend to focus on one on one relationships, between the PC and each individual companion vs most Japanese RPGs where it's all about the group even if the MC is the focal point, which is pretty obvious reflection of western ideals of individualism vs eastern collectivism. Most western RPGs don't feature much in the way of interparty events and relationships. BioWare made party banter a big thing which has been hugely beneficial to the genre, but by and large you still don't get many group oriented scenes or events of people just bonding. Another reason I think a lot of people really loved he Citadel DLC as it was the first real time the whole crew from across the series interacted together like that.

I think that's one reason I might prefer Tales of skits over Social Links because there is no illusion of choice and influence, and because they're more flexible allowing for more intimate one on one events as well as party wide ones, plus the plethora of them allows for short quick goofy stuff as well as longer more serious discussions. FE is an interesting case as well because its this weird situation of just one on one relationships with pretty much no group interactions at all, but unlike most western games it's not limited to just the PC and each companion, instead about each companion with one another. And for those PC related supports you again have very limited responses where there is a right or wrong choice mechanically that often is just telling the character what they want to hear.

Another big distinction when compared Western vs Eastern uses of the power of friendship is the fact that many western RPGs support evil playthroughs to one degree or another which I think makes it a lot harder to be so actively forward with vocalizing typical power of friendship sentiments. So while your typical BioWare game might have the same general formula of build up relations with your companions and gather your allies for the upcoming threat it can't be that explicit because you can also play as a real piece of shit who actively works against building friendships/relationships but instead relies on threats and force to get people to cooperate with them. Lot of other more hardcore RPGs allow you to go even further and straight up kill your companions outright. Yet if you play as the good guy they are very often power of friendship coded even if they never say it out loud like many JP games might.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
While I like Persona, even if its quite imperfect, and think it's one of the better series to really cultivate and build up friendships one issue I have with the social links system is how pre-determined and fixed they are. I'm finally playing Royal right now, mid game, and this was something that dawned on me the other day. More specifically how you're often actively rewarded with just appeasing the person with what they want to hear rather than saying anything that might challenge their viewpoint. By and large the MC doesn't help these people beyond just being an amateur therapist for the other characters to talk at and work through their issues on their own, with the occasional positive word. The social links themselves often don't do much for me in building up a believable friendship between characters. That's usually achieved through the main story events of the party doing something together like friends would, going out to dinner, putting a party together, going out to the city or whatever. But the social links where they have the opportunity for one on one more personal and intimate interactions it's kind of meh.

I've been saying this about Persona since P3, yeah. The Social Links just feel like the main character being a mirror that lets each Social Link character go "YEAH, THAT'S WHAT I SAID, I KNEW I WAS RIGHT". You rarely, if ever, actually help them become better people.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain

Something I have argued since the release of Persona 5 is that if they want to keep Social Links in the next entry, in they should have multiple paths. You could raise SL and get the exp rewards really fast by appeasing to a person and nurturing their worst life decisions and impulses. But if you actually give them good advice, even at the possibility of outright hurting the character, you would build a much slower but sturdier relationship that actually gives you rewards outside the SL exp. And you could give extra cutscenes and the like if you actually manage to reach this level.

Definitely better than telling a kid that cheating is fine because it gets you more points.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Something I have argued since the release of Persona 5 is that if they want to keep Social Links in the next entry, in they should have multiple paths. You could raise SL and get the exp rewards really fast by appeasing to a person and nurturing their worst life decisions and impulses. But if you actually give them good advice, even at the possibility of outright hurting the character, you would build a much slower but sturdier relationship that actually gives you rewards outside the SL exp. And you could give extra cutscenes and the like if you actually manage to reach this level.

Definitely better than telling a kid that cheating is fine because it gets you more points.

Or having your English teacher come to your house at night in a maid costume to make you tea and acting like that isn't the weirdest shit in the known universe.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
Power of Friendship is narratively relevant in P4 though. SL literally makes your Personas stronger. It has also been firmly established that the feelings of the people who reside in Inaba affect the Midnight Channel (and in turn, would have the power to overpower Izanami, which is something specifically called out on when you met Ameno-Sagiri. "That I did not forsee"). You can still dislike it but it's not like it doesn't fit and didn't set the precedent for itself compared to something like Fairy Tail where they use it to ignore the consequences of any opposition.

Also, I'd say Danganronpa 2's ending has lots of problems, but it's really not a Power of Friendship ending.

dqslime

May 5, 2023
The thread is now more about criticisms of Persona series, which I'm starting to agree with more and more. Persona 4 was a huge deal for me in 2008, and it's still the game I'm most likely to replay today out of nostalgia. However, it's very obvious by now that on top of the friendship trope (which I like and is supported by the gameplay heavily), it's a power fantasy found in a lot of media aimed at young men. Everyone loves you, you can't do anything wrong, all women want to date you, etc.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
Kanji didn't like you or anyone at the start, same with Naoto and Rise ironically. Dojima also gave you a lot of shit through most of the game and then there is the time when your party tried to bully you into committing murder.
Most of the sappy stuff was primarily added by Golden.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think theres a lot of appeal in the trope and how unsubtle it is. Its tried and true way of making the final battle feel epic.

Zinogah

Feb 12, 2023
Maryland
Persona's issues are mostly that big issues are treated as an open-and-shut thing, thanks primarily due to the way P4 and 5 handles character arcs. The third semester in P5R is so good primarily because it subverts that issue by having characters grow steadily and leave it more implied that they have a lot of growing to do after the events are over. It's especially bad coming off P3 and The Answer, which did an amazing job keeping character developments dynamic and interesting throughout the runtime. There's a friction at play that modern Persona typically lacks.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've been saying this about Persona since P3, yeah. The Social Links just feel like the main character being a mirror that lets each Social Link character go "YEAH, THAT'S WHAT I SAID, I KNEW I WAS RIGHT". You rarely, if ever, actually help them become better people.
The fact that the MC in Persona isn't an actual character or true avatar plays into this a lot I think. JRPGs never adopted the actual role playing element so many cRPGs are built around, so you never get lots of dialogue options that let you actively shape and define your character. But because they're not an actual character either but a stand in for the player they don't ever actual say or do anything on their own. So they're just kind of stuck in this weird middle ground so SLs just kind of talk at you and do all the work. You can't get a Rex like moment where he's like losing his shit with a character about how they need to live and how he cares for them, overwrought or not as it may be. They're just assumed to be a great and cool person that somehow everyone wants to confide in. Which plays into the common complaint people have with Persona MCs being treated as the hottest shit that ever lived.

Yeah this would help a lot. I think Mishima right now is the one that stands out the most for me, like this kid has serious problems and we're just like "yeah bro go off with your creepy phansite power trip shit." Ann's as well is all sorts of yikes, but that's basically Ann in a nutshell in this whole game.

It's a real shame Atlus has treated FeMC so poorly, especially not including her in Reload. Persona would be a perfect game to pull some more western RPG elements into. Having a truly customizable character and more branching choices in Social Links could work so damn well. But given P5s astronomical success that's likely never going to happen. Joker is just far too popular and I don't see them backing down from a really strong and iconic lead character design. Though I also don't see them making them a more defined character either. So it is what it is.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
Saying it's bad writing is basically just trying to jockey that your an elite and sophisticated individual with more elite tastes than those brainless plebes.

A bit defensive, huh?
Like they make a big deal of lancelot's fate, but I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care

I do agree this tends to be the weakness of the route system, but to be fair Lanselot is the start of Denam getting his order off the ground. Without him he'd either still be scurrying around the ruins of Golyat with Vyce and his sister.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I mean it's mostly about power fantasy and wish fulfilment is it not?

Pretty much everyone's dream is to have a bunch of great friends that will always there for you.

The goal of a lot of these media is to make their audience happy and feel good.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only really bothered by it when it's used as a shortcut and the friendships become literal power/magic as opposed to that "power" coming from the decisions/actions of those friends.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I think it depends entirely on if the friendships feel real. I think the Persona games, in general, do not do a good job of making the relationships between characters feel real -- feel unbreakable.

It has already been brought up in this thread, but I will echo it, I feel like FFXV (for all its flaws) does the friendship stuff very well.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
The power of friendship is awesome.
Nothing quite like having your homie by your side or encouraging you as you face whatever world-threatening villain.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I really liked it in Like a Dragon. The whole point is your friends make you stronger and none of us is an island (not even Kiryu).

Plus THAT part of the game when its just you and your friends vs the world, those dozens of hours hanging out and getting close to each other feels very earned.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends entirely on if the friendships feel real. I think the Persona games, in general, do not do a good job of making the relationships between characters feel real -- feel unbreakable.

It has already been brought up in this thread, but I will echo it, I feel like FFXV (for all its flaws) does the friendship stuff very well.

To add to this, I also think that oftentimes the focus on ROMANCE in Western RPGs actually harms the ability for the player to feel a meaningful friendship with their party members. Like I remember Liara tried to fuck my Shepard like...IMMEDIATELY after we met and that made me just not like her. Similarly, I am like still in act 1 of Baldur's Gate 3 and Lae'zel has already openly propositioned me. I turned her down, and now I'm just like...now what? How are we supposed to move forward when you tried to have sex with me after barely knowing me for a day?

By comparison, Garrus in Mass Effect 1 wasn't romanceable, so you were able to build more of a "work buddies" bond with him, and I think that helped me enjoy having him around a lot more than all the other characters who desperately wanted to bone Shepard an hour after meeting her.

And then BioWare let you fuck Garrus, too. Sigh. Sometimes I just want to have a party of mismatched weirdos who do crimes and save the world without sex becoming the central point of interacting with them.