• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
No, this is one of those double standard threads where men do the same thing, but don't get the same penalty. She probably deserved what she got, but she's right that men don't get treated that way. Expressions of frustration and anger are just simply more accepted when it comes from men in sports.

Yeah, I mean a ref making a living with presiding over women's tennis matches suddenly decided to fuck over the most famous active female tennis player because reasons... oh wait she actually broke rules.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
No, this is one of those double standard threads where men do the same thing, but don't get the same penalty. She probably deserved what she got, but she's right that men don't get treated that way. Expressions of frustration and anger are just simply more accepted when it comes from men in sports.

I used to watch a lot of tennis and can never remember a player going after an umpire so angrily for so long. It was either a quick shout and move on, or a long chat over multiple changeovers. Never a load of shouty abuse over a long period of time.

Disclaimer, I haven't watched much tennis is last 5 years or so, so things might have changed.

From where I was sitting Serena lost her head big time and deserved the punishment.
I get it though, the amount of pressure she felt under to be a superwoman (she, like most women, are anyway) and to have this dream comeback story must have been huge and she must have been massively frustrated to be so outplayed, so can understand her total loss of composure, but I'd hope, in days / weeks to come she'll understand what she did and apologise to the umpire

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
The whole rant thing about motherhood is the thing for me. So weird.

Is it that weird? She felt like she was being called a cheater, which she considers immoral. She's saying that she considers herself a moral person who tries to set an example for her child, and it's clear from that why she was so incensed by the call. She wasn't just mad because of this particular match, she really seemed to think it was a statement on her character.

If we're being honest: he was coaching, but she didn't want it and she wasn't lying when she said she would rather lose. It was a guy faulting her for what another guy did and, she felt, calling her an immoral person on top of it. That's why she got so emotional about it and her bringing up motherhood makes it very clear where her head is at in regards to it.

Especially given the context of the very racist and sexist treatment she so often receives in the sport, I think it's understandable that she takes being called immoral really personally.

Yeah, I mean a ref making a living with presiding over women's tennis matches suddenly decided to fuck over the most famous active female tennis player because reasons... oh wait she actually broke rules.

Doesn't the statement you're responding to say they believe men who break the same rules do not receive the same punishment, not that she didn't break any rules? It even says she "probably deserved what she got."

I'm just unclear on what argument you think you're answering.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Tame meltdown

You wanna see a real meltdown

reverse-1241698357_ballack-chasing-referee.gif

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grats to Naomi! Must be so cool being able to play against your idol and get a win. Whatever at Serena's dramatics, I'm glad she supported and hugged Naomi at the end, that's what matters more.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it that weird? She felt like she was being called a cheater, which she considers immoral. She's saying that she considers herself a moral person who tries to set an example for her child, and it's clear from that why she was so incensed by the call. She wasn't just mad because of this particular match, she really seemed to think it was a statement on her character.

If we're being honest: he was coaching, but she didn't want it and she wasn't lying when she said she would rather lose. It was a guy faulting her for what another guy did and, she felt, calling her an immoral person on top of it. That's why she got so emotional about it and her bringing up motherhood makes it very clear where her head is at in regards to it.

Especially given the context of the very racist and sexist treatment she so often receives in the sport, I think it's understandable that she takes being called immoral really personally.

Doesn't the statement you're responding to say they believe men who break the same rules do not receive the same punishment, not that she didn't break any rules? It even says she "probably deserved what she got."

I'm just unclear on what argument you think you're answering.

I haven't seen any arguments at all in that post. Just deflecting any blame from Serena.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Would have. Even hilariously awkward if Ramos obeyed Serena's request to appologize mid-match.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I appologize for giving Serena a coaching warning and Serena is not a cheater. Thank you"

Audience: light clap

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Crazy how people here are on Osaka's side. Serena was clearly wronged here.

LOL what is this thread. Osaka had absolutely nothing to do with any of the controversy.

EDIT: I also think it's a little hilarious how coaching has ONCE AGAIN become a point of controversy here at the U.S. Open, especially after Lahyani gave his "pep talk" to Kyrgios

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
She's a mother rant reminded me of this:

Anyway, it seems like it was a crazy tournament.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Serena was clearly wronged here.

Just don't get that, sorry.

It's sport, you will get the odd occasional duff (or what you think is duff) call and you just have to deal with it.

I don't even think the call was duff. The replays show clear coaching and the coach admitted to it. Yes, it's shit Serena got the blame for her coaches fuck up, but that's the rules and she should have it out with her coach after.

Her initial exchange with the umpire (I don't cheat, I'd rather lose) was fine if she felt she needed to have her say. Even in that she admitted that from his POV it could look like coaching.

Everything that happened after that was her doing. She had a meltdown... It happens to the best of us sometimes. I hope now she just takes it on the chin and apologise to the umpire for taking away his moment.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just don't get that, sorry.

It's sport, you will get the odd occasional duff (or what you think is duff) call and you just have to deal with it.

I don't even think the call was duff. The replays show clear coaching and the coach admitted to it. Yes, it's shit Serena got the blame for her coaches fuck up, but that's the rules and she should have it out with her coach after.

Her initial exchange with the umpire (I don't cheat, I'd rather lose) was fine if she felt she needed to have her say. Even in that she admitted that from his POV it could look like coaching.

Everything that happened after that was her doing. She had a meltdown... It happens to the best of us sometimes. I hope now she just takes it on the chin and apologise to the umpire for taking away his moment.
She doesn't need to apologize to the umpire for taking away his moment because umpires are supposed to be as invisible as possible, just like in other sports you never want an umpire to have an effect on the game. She does need to apologize to Osaka, however, for taking away her big moment of winning her maiden grand slam title. She can never have that moment back.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pathetic display by Serena.
- Gets coached, gets rightfully called out for it
- Said she isn't a cheater, while the umpire didn't call her that
- Demands an apology
- Tells the umpire to not talk to her again, which he accepts, and after that she continues to foul mouth the umpire and call him a thief
- Gets penalized for it, calls the ref
- The ref comes down with a lady who's role I don't know, she gives the lady the "I'm a mother" tears and then changes strategy, when talking to the ref by playing the sex card.

And still there are people defending her. A player of her caliber and experience should be mentally stronger than that and not take it out one the court. She was losing and got frustrated.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Serena clowned herself and acted like a damn child.

Really sad Naomi had to deal with this garbage to affect her win.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017

Holy shit she's so charming.

"Any plans to celebrate tonight?"

"Sleep! Umm... I'm not really a social person like that. Maybe play a video game, I don't know....."

"Ever had a drink?"

"No, I'm 20!"

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Grats to Naomi! Must be so cool being able to play against your idol and get a win. Whatever at Serena's dramatics, I'm glad she supported and hugged Naomi at the end, that's what matters more.

Never meet your idols...

What a horriblly bittersweet night for Naomi though, I was reading about it this morning on a BBC article, this line stood out:

More boos followed at the start of the ceremony, leading to Osaka pulling her visor down over her eyes to hide her tears.

:(

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So many fake progressives in this thread sucking the cocks of other sexist people. Just because they enjoy seeing a powerful woman shot down.

This would never have happened to a man. Period.

Fuck off with that. Serena is a great tennis Champion and hall of famer, I have enjoyed watching her style of tennis over the years, she still deserved what she got and further overshadowed a younger champion in her moment. It wasn't sexist at all. What of McEnroe, a man, who was defaulted out of the Australia Open some 25 years ago? He was penalised way harsher for challenging umpires repeatedly under rule changes back in 1990. I never heard him crying about how women can get away with it.

Under the old rules, disqualification was a four-step process: warning, point penalty, game penalty, default. Under the new rules, it was to be a three-step process: warning, point penalty, default.

To quote McEnroe as a response to your ridiculous post "You cannot be serious".

source

Edit:

How about Fognini, another man, who was banned for two grand slams due to his behaviour towards an umpire? This literally happened at the US Open recently.

Last edited:

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
She doesn't need to apologize to the umpire for taking away his moment because umpires are supposed to be as invisible as possible, just like in other sports you never want an umpire to have an effect on the game. She does need to apologize to Osaka, however, for taking away her big moment of winning her maiden grand slam title. She can never have that moment back.

He was supposed to be presented with a medal at the end of the game, but that had to be cut

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017

"Sleep! Umm... I'm not really a social person like that. Maybe play a video game, I don't know....."

http://baseline.tennis.com/article/74051/naomi-osaka-talks-video-game-habits-gq

'In the magazine's feature story, Osaka opened up about her inner nerd, saying she spends as much time playing video games as she does on the court. She's partial to playing hours of Overwatch everyday with her sister.'

I bet she kicks all sorts of ass in OW and is playing right now.

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I never cheated...i have a daughter!!!" ...what??

"...Thief!!"

Well no shit she got penalised, what is really sad is all the controversy that overshadowed Osaka's victory.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The crowd and Serena robbed Osaka of the biggest moment in her life. Absolute disgrace. Some serious disciplinary action against Serena should be taken. You just cannot behave like that on court no matter how frustrated you are.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the coaching thing was legit but she loses a point for calling the ref a thief? Sheesh, seems super touchy compared to other sports.

Really? In soccer you'd easily get a yellow card for directly questioning or verbally abusing the referee. I assume that's quite common in sports. It wasn't just a quick 'you're a thief' it was a barrage of verbal abuse

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
In rugby
Really? In soccer you'd easily get a yellow card for directly questioning or verbally abusing the referee. I assume that's quite common in sports. It wasn't just a quick 'you're a thief' it was a barrage of verbal abuse

In rugby you'd get penalised, marched back 10 yards, then yellow card (10 mins off the field) for any backchat.

If it's really bad, you'd get a straight red (sent off for the rest of the game)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah she's talking sense here

No she's deflecting.

She wasn't docked a game for calling the referee a thief. She was given a warning for verbally abusing the referee including but not only calling him a thief.
She was docked a game because it was her third warning

It's like in soccer - an offence may only be a yellow card warning but if it is your second, you are off the pitch

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017

'In the magazine's feature story, Osaka opened up about her inner nerd, saying she spends as much time playing video games as she does on the court. She's partial to playing hours of Overwatch everyday with her sister.'

I bet her hand-eye coordination and reaction time is perfect for that shit lol.

Oct 27, 2017
While the coach was in the wrong, it's pretty scary to see just how quick people turn on Serena Williams to uplift the demure and quiet Osaka. Makes you wonder.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
why are we calling this a meltdown lol.

Sheesh, didn't realize we were so anti-Serena here lol.
This is absurd. I was rooting for Serena to win since the beginning. But she had a meltdown and I don't think that's remotely controversial to say. I don't know why people are bickering over the word. She wasn't just mildly annoyed.

Maybe not, but I'd call those meltdowns too. :P

Well, yes. Can the ref say "I'm a father, I don't lie" (assuming he is) when she calls him a liar or a thief? lol. She was angry and defensive, sure, but it was still a silly and ridiculous thing to say.

While the coach was in the wrong, it's pretty scary to see just how quick people turn on Serena Williams to uplift the demure and quiet Osaka. Makes you wonder.
Huh?

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Deserved what she got. Sometimes for elite athletes it's a fine line between being ultra competitive and losing the plot and on this occasion she lost the plot.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

"Ever had a drink?"

"No, I'm 20!"

...She talks weird. kinda off putting lol

anyway, wonder if her or anyone will rise up in the next generation. Seems no one has really taken that mantle.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
This is absurd. I was rooting for Serena to win since the beginning. But she had a meltdown and I don't think that's remotely controversial to say. I don't know why people are bickering over the word. She wasn't just mildly annoyed.

Yeah this.
Me and wife stayed up late to watch and are both Serena fans.
But she fucked up on this occasion

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe not, but I'd call those meltdowns too. :P

Well, yes. Can the ref say "I'm a father, I don't lie" (assuming he is) when she calls him a liar or a thief? lol. She was angry and defensive, sure, but it was still a silly and ridiculous thing to say.

Huh?

All over the internet I'm seeing the same sentiment that Serena had a "black girl moment" and should be more like Osaka. It's pretty overt what people are meaning.

TelemachusD

Nov 22, 2017
Idk. A meltdown, to me, connotes being completely irrational, unreasonable and overwhelmed by emotion. She was upset but behaved fairly reasonable to me.
Do you think it's reasonable or unreasonable for a professional athlete to demand that an umpire apologize and and make an announcement that they were wrong about a call they made in the middle of a match they are currently officiating? Have you ever seen an umpire do this in any sporting event ever?

Even when a call is shown to be wrong, and the umpire sees a replay after the fact, and admits they were wrong, the call is still going to stand. You can argue with the umpire as much as you want, but it's NEVER going to reverse a call.

Oilvomer

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you guys realise Serena had a baby!! Jesus fucking Christ, millions upon millions of women have babies every year, yet all she goes on about is how hard it is to come back....

Tell the women who work two jobs without a nanny how hard it is....

She is not a woman's pioneer at all, she is a highly privileged individual who is making out they are some sort special person because she pushed a child out of her vagina...

Oh and shame on the US crowd, completely classless

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

I bet she's on ERA! I want her found YESTERDAY! Get me that username, pronto! Era detectives, go!
/S

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Serena is the best tennis player ever in my eyes along with Borg and Sampras.

This definitely wasn't a high point for her, but I think she'll get past it and kick more ass in the future.

Congrats to Osaka, great composure and focus on the big stage!

Oct 27, 2017
Did you guys realise Serena had a baby!! Jesus fucking Christ, millions upon millions of women have babies every year, yet all she goes on about is how hard it is to come back....

Tell the women who work two jobs without a nanny how hard it is....

She is not a woman's pioneer at all, she is a highly privileged individual who is making out they are some sort special person because she pushed a child out of her vagina...

Oh and shame on the US crowd, completely classless

You completely missed the whole point of her saying that if this is all you took from that statement.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

"Ever had a drink?"

"No, I'm 20!"

She seems so nice and humble while being awkward at the same time. I'm glad she won.

"I'm not the type to spend money on myself."
...she's 20

Last edited:

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not a good look for Serena. Down right embarrassing. Congrats to Osaka but wtf is Chris Evert bowing in that clip?

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
What a shit show Serena, a great champion like you shouldn't behave like that, Osaka was amazing and she deserves the win.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Feel kinda bad for Osaka. All the attention is on the meltdown and not on a new talent that has emerged. But, Osaka is probably going to win many more tournaments in the future.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I missed it but it sounds like Serena was getting dominated regardless.

Congrats to Osaka.