• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
FFXIV excels most when it's a single player game, frankly. So if this isn't anything MMO-like, I would certainly trust Yoshi to ensure its equality more than most at Square Enix.

Certainly explains Stormblood's rougher quality.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot the BD reorg was happening this quick. Do we have a full map of the new dev structure yet?

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm still stoked even if it is just another MMO. He has been the only figure at SE to actually make me care about the franchise. I'm ready for a high-fantasy medieval FF game.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is everyone assuming this is going to be 16? They have to be years into development for the real 16 by now. This seems more like 17 by how far off it is.
I think we have to accept that SE can't churn out quadruple A RPGs as quickly as they could in PS1 era (no one can). There's no reason to think XVI has been in active development for years when SE have had their hands full with XV, KH3 and VIIR.

Last edited:

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
If YoshiP is working on FFXVI this is the best news I could have hoped for the franchise.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
oh man this is going to be amazing. I think he mentioned in an interview that he'd do a FF in a medieval setting ala 12/9...

Munba

Oct 27, 2017
So FFXVI team would be so nice to be:
- Hiroyuki Itou as director
- Naoki Yoshida as co-director
- Akihiko Yoshida & Kazuya Takahashi as art directors
- Nobuo Uematsu & Soken as composers
- Akihiko Matsui as battle system designer (for the possible online side too)

:0

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, I wouldn't be surprised if this was FFXVI.

On the other hand, this would be the first time in forever that a mainline FF game finished preproduction before it was officially announced.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
That's Square's next MMO. Probably FFXVII.

Yoshida himself has said that a new online FF game is far off mostly because FFXIV is still super profitable for S-E. Yoshida has also mentioned multiple times that he has a single player game in mind that he wants to make whenever he can be free of his duties in FFXIV.

I hope they don't spread this man too thin though. He's a hard worker and is very good at hitting deadlines while maintaining quality. It's bad enough that he operates on 4 hours of sleep a day.

Spinx

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't this guy whine about sci fi in mainline Final Fantasy titles? Give him XVI.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Great news that they're past pre-production now.
Yoshida is a great director, looking forward to it.

Mar 4, 2018

giphy.gif

Calfirma

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, Soken did the best Chocobo theme of all time.
You better be referring to the rental chocobo theme and not the one your actual chocobo has
and I love Soken but CHICKEN TENDERRRRS always makes me giggle lol

What's kind of more amazing is that we're only NOW getting that one city that was initially shown in the first tech demo of FFXIV in 2005.
As in, we are getting a city that is roughly based on the design on that place sure but isn't really the city we saw in the tech demo.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So FFXVI team would be so nice to be:
- Hiroyuki Itou as director
- Naoki Yoshida as co-director
- Akihiko Yoshida & Kazuya Takahashi as art directors
- Nobuo Uematsu & Soken as composers
- Akihiko Matsui as battle system designer (for the possible online side too)

:0
matsuno as a writer

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He replied in an interview saying he'd like the next main ff to go back to fantasy setting. I would be pretty hyped seeing what modern engine can do if it's ff16. I bet it's a spin off though.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they won't pivot to another MMO in today's climate for those sorts of games, though I could see a FFXVI including slight GaaS elements (FFXV basically had them, they were just implemented really awkwardly).

I'm playing through Stormblood right now and honestly I'm not seeing the drop in quality a lot of people attribute to it, though I don't do most of the Extreme content. I have faith that the remaining team would do a pretty good job - considering how many story seeds they planted years in advance before (Doma, Ala Mhigo, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if Yoshida has already produced the core framework for the game's next decade.

I just hope it is FFXVI they're working on because they sure know how to build a world and structure a story.

(also I hope people know FF has never really been medieval, ever since the beginning there's always been weird magitek, whether it be literal robots or the airships. I wouldn't expect any FF to be purely medieval. FFXIV leans in that direction for sure but it still has giant mechanical Alexander and a Job that's entirely based around guns)