• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Some of ya'll keep bringing up this master electoral strategy of appealing to these racists like we're all idiots; like we haven't been watching and living the Democratic party pulling this same strategy our entire lives. I get it. I understand it. Still hate it. Will always hate it.

So I'm speaking from the soul when I say I get real angry every time white america waxes nostalgia about their horrific past and track record. There's always an excuse for it too, and everyone in this multicultural and multinational forum is just supposed to nod our heads to it.

We aren't just talking folks with different opinions here - like you commonly hear when these Dem politicians are blowing Dubya, Reagan, and Kissinger. We're talking genocides, committed domestically and abroad, for generations and generations.

Yeah, I too regret that Nancy has to say this bullshit to win a vote. But the difference is that I know she doesn't actually have to say this to win votes. Saying nothing at all would be great, but whenever a chance to get extra, Dems always take it when whitewashing Repubs.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
Also, imagine if a Republican voter was convinced by this. What would she say to them four years from now when the GOP nominates a more tolerable monster? "Thanks for the help against Trump, have a nice day voting red again"?

If Nancy convinces right wingers to abandon Trump, and remains true to our parties ideals, we lose nothing. At worst she's tricked some of them into voting against the less tolerable monster for 4 years. That's 4 more years we have to shape the country and make our case. If those people switch back to the monster after 4 years, that's on them. Not on Nancy. Nancy still got something out of them.

Go after her when she compromises on our ideals, not when she tries to pull others on board. Otherwise you're just asking to lose, like we did last time.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Montroll was preferred by the majority of voters over every other candidate, but lost.
Yes and no. I appears as though the system worked as intended, but the problem was that Montrell was the 2nd choice candidate for a ton of people. Basically Kiss and Wright were polarizing figures, so they were either first or third for every voter. So Montrell was preferred when you look at individual matchups against other candidates (Condorcet), but was not able to get enough raw votes in the final round of to push him past Kiss/Wright in the IRV. It's interesting, and also a major outlier as the video referenced in the Wiki article explains. Basically a perfect storm for the IRV system to have a bit of a goof.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Some of ya'll keep bringing up this master electoral strategy of appealing to these racists like we're all idiots; like we haven't been watching and living the Democratic party pulling this same strategy our entire lives. I get it. I understand it. Still hate it. Will always hate it.

So I'm speaking from the soul when I say I get real angry every time white america waxes nostalgia about their horrific past and track record. There's always an excuse for it too, and everyone in this multicultural and multinational forum is just supposed to nod our heads to it.

We aren't just talking folks with different opinions here - like you commonly hear when these Dem politicians are blowing Dubya, Reagan, and Kissinger. We're talking genocides, committed domestically and abroad, for generations and generations.

Yeah, I too regret that Nancy has to say this bullshit to win a vote. But the difference is that I know she doesn't actually have to say this to win votes. Saying nothing at all would be great, but whenever a chance to get extra, Dems always take it when whitewashing Repubs.
So on point.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Thank god I never called this chick a queen like so many others.
giphy.gif

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Also, imagine if a Republican voter was convinced by this. What would she say to them four years from now when the GOP nominates a more tolerable monster? "Thanks for the help against Trump, have a nice day voting red again"?
The aim is to convince enough of them that they like the status quo so as not to do that. Incumbency's a hell of an advantage. Things get rocky 8 years on when the incumbency is gone, but the goal is to, by then, have so many Senate and House incumbents, plus people who like what has happened over the last 8 that there's still a shot at winning and even a loss results in still controlling at least one, but hopefully both bodies of Congress.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like seriously, let me put this out there.

One of the biggest problems Trump is facing is the fact that he is not willing to campaign outside of his bubble, which is a bad thing (for him). The fuck are you then turning around and saying targeting voters outside of your party is a bad thing? You can't win solely on your base.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like seriously, let me put this out there.

One of the biggest problems Trump is facing is the fact that he is not willing to campaign outside of his bubble, which is a bad thing (for him). The fuck are you then turning around and saying targeting voters outside of your party is a bad thing? You can't win solely on your base.
I don't see how praising the Republican Party of yore is an appeal for republicans to vote Democrat unless the argument here is that she is saying the democrats are the Republicans of yore now which I would clearly and obviously have a problem with that

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017

Quoting this shit for truth.

I've said "whatever it takes" on more than one occasion here, but not saying anything is a free action.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I understand where she's coming from. There will always be a Republican party to oppose Democrats so might as well appeal for the version of it that isn't bat shit crazy.

Doesn't mean she's right. Republicans don't have the votes to hold onto power and they know it. So the long term goal is to undermine our systems of checks and balances so they can cling to power.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
As long as there's a Republican party, it will be impossible to break the two party system, and she doesn't want this to happen.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, she is not wrong...you can't have a free country or a democratic country with just 1 party in power forever....

You're acting like having no republican party would mean there can only be one party. The two current parties are not innate things that have existed since the dawn of time.

The country needs a strong conservative party that at least makes a coherent conservative argument-

Can you expound on why this is something the country needs?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised she's not doing ads with the Lincoln Project.

Our democracy needs a lot of parties. We DO NOT need a couple of "strong" ones like America has had. Because "strong" parties create duopolies in which a few powerful people control the narrative and strangle progressive solutions. And we certainly don't need a Republican party. They've been trash for the last 30 years.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes and no. I appears as though the system worked as intended, but the problem was that Montrell was the 2nd choice candidate for a ton of people. Basically Kiss and Wright were polarizing figures, so they were either first or third for every voter. So Montrell was preferred when you look at individual matchups against other candidates (Condorcet), but was not able to get enough raw votes in the final round of to push him past Kiss/Wright in the IRV. It's interesting, and also a major outlier as the video referenced in the Wiki article explains. Basically a perfect storm for the IRV system to have a bit of a goof.
The system worked as intended, but obviously the voters were not happy with the outcome, since they immediately repealed it. Outcomes like that are extremely likely in elections when 3 or more candidates are fairly strong. It's why IRV still ultimately leads to 2 party dominance.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how praising the Republican Party of yore is an appeal for republicans to vote
"Your party is crazy. It used to not be. It'd be nice if it weren't again. Vote for us to show them.how upset you are they are crazy. Maybe it will help them.be not crazy again."

But I'm pretty sure you already knew that.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys realize that Trump voters cant be swayed this close to the election. Like, at all. Her best bet is trying to sway the 'undecided' folks this board hates so much, and she undermines herself by showing she's a weak leader by trying to appeal to the enemy.

Like, shit, the message I get is that racists should be better people because back when they weren't as racist (which they were not) things went better for everyone (which they did not, unless you were white).

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Her public takes and interviews have been consistently cringey and awful since the leadup to impeachment. Alternate universe shit. Republicans hate you, Nancy. She's wrong for the moment, and a democratic led house deserves so much better.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Your party is crazy. It used to not be. It'd be nice if it weren't again. Vote for us to show them.how upset you are they are crazy. Maybe it will help them.be not crazy again."

But I'm pretty sure you already knew that.
You gave me A, B but then skipped all the way to Z. There's a lot of shit that you're implying there that you think makes sense and is obvious but it's not.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The complete and utter annihilation of the Republican Party might mean no longer negotiating with terrorists, so I disagree.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Read between the lines, peeps.

She's trying to get moderate Repubs to vote the Trumpets and Turtles out of office.

She's not trying to save the GoP.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
She doesn't WANT a Republican Party, she just doesn't want a progressive party to pop up, making Democrats the new conservatives.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see how appealing to would be Republicans on a radio show does anything for the causes I personally care and the cause the party claims it cares about. I simply don't understand how singing the praises of the Republican Party of yore would mean these people would vote for Democrats. I also don't understand how's this seems to be a given to some of y'all.

It's not a radio show, it's a cable TV show. There's a video in the OP. How do you argue so passionately about something you didn't even bother to understand, and why should I believe you've put any more due diligence into the rest of your uninformed opinions?

This is a conservative show on MSNBC. The entire purpose is to pull soft conservatives out of the bubble. If these initiatives didn't exist, there would be even more crazy Qanons. Sadly we have to deal with that reality

Nancy isn't "singing praises" of Republicans. That's a narrative you are spinning because you desperately want to dunk on her (for reasons unknown).
We know you didn't watch the video. She specifically calls the modern Republican party a White Supremicist cult in that clip, and she begs the sensible ones (the target audience of this show) to recognize that the current state of the party is an issue and to take their party back. She isn't even asking them to vote D, she's asking them to fix their shit. The subtext is 'fix your shit or switch parties'.

It's a given because she's saying it on a conservative show. This isn't hard to understand

Say good things about Republican means Republicans would vote for Democrats??? The math ain't adding up. Aside from that her statement to reads like she's willing to work with Republicans once trump gone but the Republican Party has been a shit party for my whole lifetime and my parents lifetime. It doesn't inspire confidence.

Pelosi is criticizing the modern Republican party for abandoning their ideals and letting their party go to the dogs. Any time Democrats criticize Republicans, the math is adding up

When the math isn't adding up, is when 'leftists' like yourself dogpile their own representatives on message forums, as if that's somehow going to help us win the white house back. Tell me how that math adds up?

Trump went out of his way to tell Biden he was "losing the left" repeatedly in yesterdays debate. That's not an accident. He did that because separating the Democrats from "the left" is part of his core strategy. It's something he has to do to win. And you are on here pushing his messages for him.

Pelosi has been a Representative of one of the countries most liberal states for decades. And that states his become bluer and bluer since she took office. She knows how to talk to these people. Let her do the job we need her to do

But I'm not some political mastermind strategist I'm just a nigga on a video game forum with an opinion

As am I

You have the same resources available to you as I do. I just learned what Morning Joe was because of this thread. I've never watched it
You can educate yourself, you can understand how the game is played. After all, this is a gaming forum. I assume this is second nature to you. You can understand how the game is won, as the Republicans have

Instead, you choose not to. You choose to make it harder for ideals you support to become a reality.

That's on you

collige

Oct 31, 2017
If Nancy convinces right wingers to abandon Trump, and remains true to our parties ideals, we lose nothing. At worst she's tricked some of them into voting against the less tolerable monster for 4 years. That's 4 more years we have to shape the country and make our case. If those people switch back to the monster after 4 years, that's on them. Not on Nancy. Nancy still got something out of them.

Go after her when she compromises on our ideals, not when she tries to pull others on board. Otherwise you're just asking to lose, like we did last time.
I understand the tactic perfectly well, I'm talking from the perspective of our hoodwinked GOP voter. Everyone can clearly see that Trump is full of shit when he panders to disaffected Dems, but we're supposed to think the average GOP voter will fall for it?

Whitewashing war criminals in front of the entire country is a compromise of my ideals.

Even ignoring the historical inaccuracy, her attitude belies a privileged, detached view of politics. She rattles off all the ways Republicans are hurting people and in the same breath claims that a "decency standpoint" and "policy standpoint" are two different things, as if ruining scores of lives isn't an incredible damnation of character.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aight I'm out. Impossible to have a good faith conversation about this white woman y'all hold so dear who's apparently above reproach.

Sep 10, 2020
We need strong opposition. One party rule is dangerous. We don't necessarily need the GOP.
Yeah I think that's pretty on the money.

I don't think Pelosi is saying anything particularly controversial here. She clearly means a fiscally and socially conservative opposition, not the bigoted shitshow that is the current day Republican party.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I know a lot of people are saying what she is saying is false, but she's accurate.

What people are forgetting here it seems is the history of the country Pelosi went through.

It won't happen ever again, I agree, but she lived through Dwight Eisenhower when she was a young adult who is easily one of the best Republican presidents we've ever had. Short list of things he did:

* NATO
* Got China to agree to peace terms in the Korea War, with a still standing armistice.
* Prioritized cheap nuclear weapons and reduced army funding. (since taken away, but he tried)
* Formosa Resolution
* Established NASA.
* Forced Israel, Britain, and France to withdraw from Egypt.
* Expanded Social Security.
* Helped end McCarthyism.
* Civil Rights Act of 1957
* Established the national highway system.
* Established National Defense Education Act for strong science based education.
* Both terms were massive economic boons.
* Warned everyone about excessive military spending and the military industrial complex. (that was ignored)

I guarantee you, when she's talking about strong Republican party, she's talking about this.

It's just, y'know, most people here aren't from that era and only know the shitty Republican party we've had for awhile now. So I get why people are upset, and she could have did a better job of being more specific.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible that she literally can do no wrong in the eyes of some folk here.
Point to an actual bill as opposed to complaining about a Politician trying to win votes and you'll actually have a point. Because she's been wrong there and that's shit that actually matters. But no one actually complains about that on here. They bawl about shit they were wishing Democrats would do literally days earlier. Because it turns out they don't actually want them to do it.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Can you expound on why this is something the country needs?
Why? Their policies and ideas are outdated.
I think there is a good reason to have a voice out there that argues for fiscal conservitasim, smaller government, less intervention, etc. Not that I agree with it, mind you, but (in theory) it makes for well rounded debate and ultimately better decisions.

That's my idea of the concept of conservatism though, not the religious integration, or anything that the republican party has become.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who doesn't understand that she is basically saying the GOP has gone to shit with this is purposefully being obtuse.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
I understand the tactic perfectly well, I'm talking from the perspective of our hoodwinked GOP voter. Everyone can clearly see that Trump is full of shit when he panders to disaffected Dems, but we're supposed to think the average GOP voter will fall for it?

Tell me why you believe this pandering tactic should work when Trump does it to disaffected Dems, but not when Nancy does it to embarrassed Rs. I'm confused, do you think liberals are inherently dumb, yet Conservatives are immune? Is Nancy even hoodwinking them? She's being pretty up front about how horrible their party has become, maybe she's appealing to any sense of empathy they may have?

Nancy Pelosi said:
The country needs a strong Republican Party that's done so much for our country, and to have it be hijacked as a cult at this time is really a sad thing for America, also, as it gives credence to white supremacists.

Whitewashing war criminals in front of the entire country is a compromise of my ideals.

Even ignoring the historical inaccuracy, her attitude belies a privileged, detached view of politics. She rattles off all the ways Republicans are hurting people and in the same breath claims that a "decency standpoint" and "policy standpoint" are two different things, as if ruining scores of lives isn't an incredible damnation of character.

great, than don't compromise your ideals. Fight for them tooth and nail, until you are an island of one, and you have no political say whatsoever. If you can't play the game, don't expect to rank

What historical inaccuracy? How is her attitude detached or privileged? She's shaming them for supporting a white supremacist cult. She's empathizing with their pro-lifers, while backhandedly reminding them that their party is orphaning babies.

I don't think you know what you are arguing. She's trying to show them where they are wrong, without coming out and lecturing them, because, you know, if she did that they'd just turn on Fox News. That's now how you shrink a cult, that's how you grow one.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't have a problem with the comment. It's a an attempt to drive a wedge in the party and divide them for election purposes.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
The country needs more than 2 dumb ass parties playing ass slap football as the countries needs are sold to the wealthy and corporations

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol. this perfectly encapsulates why the democrats keep losing and will continue to keep losing. even when they win

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Point to an actual bill as opposed to complaining about a Politician trying to win votes and you'll actually have a point. Because she's been wrong there and that's shit that actually matters. But no one actually complains about that on here. They bawl about shit they were wishing Democrats would do literally days earlier. Because it turns out they don't actually want them to do it.

Saying the opposition party needs to be strong in order to win votes to your side is definitely a choice.

I could talk about her dismissiveness of the Green New Deal but it'd surely be said it's some 4D chess plan to win votes too.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
She's not entirely wrong. We need a sane 2nd party, one party rule has its own set of problems. Now, it can't be the current incarnation of the Republican party because they are insane. But, we do need a 2nd party who's not completely batshit.