• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Marble It Up is a follow up to XBLA darling Marble Blast Ultra by some of the same people that made that series, and virtually no one is talking about it.

I feel like if more people knew it existed, they'd be super excited, but instead it's been weirdly quiet. It's on the Switch, coming to other platforms in the future.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 definitely should've sold better.
I'm going to be picking that up later today actually once I get off. Maybe will get The Last Guardian as well and rebuy Nioh. Should probably get Persona 5 as well - didn't really care for it when I bought it but I didn't really give it a chance. Also need to get Valkyria Chronicles 4. Damn, coming into this thread was an expensive mistake.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

It had a quiet release that caused it to go by unnoticed, and sadly it was supposed to be getting a sequel that isn't going to happen.
Still, I really enjoyed playing it.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Marble It Up is a follow up to XBLA darling Marble Blast Ultra by some of the same people that made that series, and virtually no one is talking about it.

I feel like if more people knew it existed, they'd be super excited, but instead it's been weirdly quiet. It's on the Switch, coming to other platforms in the future.

I knew about this one, but it has the problem of not releasing worldwide at the same time, and by the time it does hit other regions I will have forgot about it :(

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
easy to miss or overlook when the game tries as hard as possible to be unplayable on the console it's released for.
Any home console release and the game would have been a huge hit for nintnendo, on the 3ds it takes too long to try and get comfortable with the control system.
Huge shame as it's one of the best games nintendo has ever released and it's voice acting is miles ahead of anything else nintendo has ever been near.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with Gravity Rush 2. It gets really, really repetitive very early in the game. A case of style over substance.

A Dog

Banned
May 17, 2018
Dishonored 2.
Watch_Dogs 2.

Both sold pretty poorly but improved 100X than their original titles.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Iconoclasts
Feels like it got eaten by Celeste releasing around the same time and some general 2D Indie Metroidvania oversaturation. It having a slow beginning doesn't help either.
It's really good with some well written characters and great boss battles.

Telltale Batman: The Enemy Within
After a lot of middling stuff (GotG, Batman S1, Walking Dead S2+3, GoT) Telltales formula became tired and very predictable to many.
But this was the season that made me feel intruiged and surprised again with a third episode that is unrivaled in the Telltale-cosmos regarding how much your choices actually matter.
A real shame the company gets closed on such a strong note with their last one and a half games finally showing big improvements.
And a real shame that this game is in a big danger to get delisted from digital marketplaces soon. Everyone who enjoyed at least one of the post-TWD Telltale games has to give this one a try before this happens.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
CrossCode only came out less than a month ago, but it already seen to have fallen through the cracks in terms of awareness. I'm not even half way through it and it's already my #1 favorite action RPG of all time.
Absolver_sword_draw.gif
Absolver has really interesting mechanics but it has a really steep learning curve for to a lot of the fundamentals being counterintuitive if you go by how fighting/action games normally handle. It's about 10 times better with a friend to team up with and teach each other moves, because learning moves entirely from enemies can be frustrating.
Monster Hunter Stories.

Got almost completely ignored last year but is a really nicely done spinoff, working MH into a monster-raising JRPG format with its own spin on a turn-based battle engine that has you fighting alongside your wyvern and also riding it. The environments are fun to explore on flying, swimming or running beasts, and it looks great too.
I really like the Android version (definitely one of the best mobile conversions I've ever seen) but the fact that it needs an internet connection to start the game is turning me off from buying it. I'd totally buy it if there was some way to remove that check, but I don't know if I'm allowed to ask about that here...

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Quantum Break barring the stupid TV show has fantastically fun gameplay. Plot and characters are meh, and the game is definitely a missed bag, but there's definitely greatness in there. If it's building on that base, Control is going to be awesome.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Sunset Overdrive didn't deserve its death.
Still one of the most pure fun games I've played this gen. Just run around the city blowing up monsters and shit while having a good time. Really hope we get another one someday.

I will also echo Dishonored 2 as plenty of others have mentioned. Some of the best level design this gen and one of the best sequels I've ever played. Excellent game.

As for my own addition to the thread, I will say Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.

I just finished it this past week and wow, man. One of the best and tightest narratives I've ever played in a game. The character of Senua was compelling and the actress nails this performance. Every story beat, every interaction, every battle with the voices she hears is truly well done and you can feel the emotion in her voice. While the combat (and an area or two) can be frustrating at times, the positives in this game far outweigh the negatives. If you haven't played this, you must, MUST do so while wearing headphones as it is unlike anything else. Easily one of my favorite games of this gen. Loved it.

h2gif.gif

Deleted member 46641

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
The Wonderful 101 is the best game Platinum and Kamiya have ever made.

Heat Signature is the top down immersive sim bounty hunter game that I didn't know I needed.

Pullblox/Pushmo is an incredibly tight puzzle game.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is the looter shooter with comedic writing and a lot of replyability that should've been a smash in 2012.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Tooth & Tail is a brilliant little RTS that attempts to solve the "console problem" by turning the cursor into a controllable unit with you use to direct other characters; sort of like Little King's Story or Pikmin. It has a full campaign, local multiplayer and an awesome Red Wall-inspired art direction.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
OP why don't you name a game yourself?

I feel like more people should play Axiom Verge. I was seriously impressed by it. And it was all made by a single guy, unbelievable to me.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like most of the games named in here were massive games that almost everyone knows about even if they didn't play them.

I like the Tooth and Tail recommendation. I've been meaning to try that!

Mine might be Murdered Soul Suspect? It wasn't amazing but there was something super charming about it (weirdly). Ghost cop trying to solve his own murder. I was into it. Or Frostpunk? Was that overlooked? Frostpunk is AMAZING.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
THUMPER is an outstanding visual and visceral arcade experience. I recommend it to anyone that wants to have a genuine thrill while gaming.

Only five bucks on Steam currently.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is my pick

It's a pretty solid game. It's not without it's issues, like the post-game being kinda boring and grindy, and your offline AI party members being inconsistent with no options to tweak their behaviour.

But if you ever wanted an ARPG with a focus on character switching (a la Trinity: Souls of Zill 'Oll, another PS3 era ARPG also made by Tecmo Koei), it'll have you covered

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Gravity-Rush-Remastered-2-PlayStation-Store-1024x512.jpg

(I'm just going to say both)
The use of gravity as a superpower is a fresh take and cool on the superhero genre. Flying around never got old. The world is pretty unique and the art direction is great.

And Kat is one of the best damn characters this entire generation. She has so much personality despite there being little voice acting in the games. The story overall is okay, but it was really interesting following Kat's story and origin.

Oh, the soundtrack is awesome, too, especially Hekesville's theme.

But yeah, the first one is the better of the two.

Last edited:

lumenflower

Jan 8, 2018
NY
The Evil Within 2 was a goddamn masterpiece imo, man. The fact that we'll probably not get at least some DLC makes me sad.

I'm sad.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The evil within 1. I get why people have problems with it, but for me, gameplay wise, it is all I ever wanted from a resident evil 4-2. Everytime i play, i feel like i am being toyed with by the AI but, because I am capable as a player, it is never TOO much stuff thrown at you. Mikami is a genius at game balancing.

DessieDoo

Jan 17, 2018
CrossCode only came out less than a month ago, but it already seen to have fallen through the cracks in terms of awareness. I'm not even half way through it and it's already my #1 favorite action RPG of all time.

I came here to say this. Nobody has played this game and it's incredible.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Really want to pick up that Marble game when I have the money. Marble Blast is and was amazing.

Another game I feel like people didn't talk about as much as I expected was Wizard of Legend. Super fun procedurally generated type game.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Shadow Blade: Reload - a superb 2D ninja game, really fun and well designed.

Driveclub - best racer this gen IMO, everybody and their moms shat on it at launch without even playing.

Iconoclasts - no idea why it's not filled with fanboy love. It's a really great Metroidvania reminiscent of Treasure's finest games.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Gravity Rush 2

428: Shibuya Scramble

Both for me are the best of the gen, but people overlook them. Both are very charming and quirky.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It reviewed fine for a racer - the post-launch multiplayer issues were the problem and it took quite a while for them to be fixed.

Edit: and it was supposed to launch on PS+ IIRC so many people were waiting for that.
Not really, its quality as a racer was pretty divisive. Some reviewers just didnt like the arcade-ish nature of its mechanics.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
the wonderful 101. It's kinda popular on sites like this but I think it deserves a second chance at life on the switch.

Oct 30, 2017

This looks cool and reminds me a lot of Super Monkey Ball / Marble Madness. Wishlisted it. Might grab it after I finish Wasteland 2.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018

I want it but it seems over priced for what it is.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
As of recently I'd say Mega Man 11.. really good Mega Man game, its fans deserve no less

And a very notable game in that matter, I'd like to refer to Shadow Tactics. A gift to the old PC players who once loved Commandos

Oct 25, 2017
Prey - A smidge behind Witcher 3 as GOTG for me.

LISA - Should have gotten all the praise that Undertale got. A better game in every way.