May 21, 2021
-Super Mario Bros. is the first video game I ever played. I was enamored by the action, adventure and secrets.
-The Legend Of Zelda and Metroid took my love of exploration to the next level. I consider them two sides of the same search action coin.
-Final Fantasy IV was the first in the series to click with me. It's mature themes expanded my idea of what games could be. My RPG gateway drug.
-Demon's Souls feels like a synthesis of everything I love about the medium. It gave me a gaming high that only FromSoftware has been able to match since.

Last edited:

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
  • Diablo & Starcraft - These two games are probably what set me on the path of primarily playing games on PC.
  • Final Fantasy 7 - Prior to playing FF7 I thought RPGs were weird games for weird people. I guess that's probably still true, but now I'm one of the weirdos.
  • Demon's Souls - Before Demon's Souls I would actively avoid challenge in video games. I would never go above normal difficulty and just skip any game where difficulty was a core feature. Even when I read about Demon's Souls back in 2009 I was like who in their right mind would want to play this? Then my best friend recommended it and I loved it immediately. Now I really enjoy challenging games.
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent - I was a huge wuss when it came to horror games up until ~2015 or so. This game was the turning point. It scared me to such a degree that I think it just completely broke a mental barrier. I still get spooked when playing horror games, but I'm able to play them just fine and I love them.

Apr 23, 2019
Each game was an introduction to something that makes up my main tastes:

Final Fantasy VI - First game ever, made me love games in general. Also intro to JRPGS.
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Time as a gamaplay mechanic
Super Smash Bros (any of them except Wii U) - Playing socially with friends and family, competitive gaming
Demon Souls - Soulslikes and everything about them. Gameplay, balancing, multiplayer, etc.
Fallout 3 - Open world games and WRPG/CRPGS.

RetroFart

Jul 23, 2022
Super Mario Bros - it was the first game I played that had an actual true ending - as someone who is very task oriented and likes seeing projects to completion this hit all the right buttons in my psyche

The legend of Zelda - this game blew me away with the incredible exploration and the feels from finding secrets and solving puzzles

Final Fantasy IV- the first game where the story truly honestly made an impact on me and made me enjoy story-telling in games

Halo 2 - while I don't really play online shooters anymore this was the one that got me into them

Bloodborne - introduced me to a whole new genre and "series" that quickly rose to challenge Zelda in my personal preferences

Oct 25, 2017
I'll list them in chronological order

1) Pokemon Saphire - This was arguably the first real game that I was actually able to finish on my own. I have vague memories of playing games on the N64 and having a gameboy color with Pokemon Silver, but I never completed any of those games/understood what I was doing. Pokemon Silver is probably the first video game I actually completed.

2) Sonic Unleashed - This is a weird one, not because I think its a good game but because it was transitional from moving me off the Nintendo ecosystem. From ages 6-13 I was always on Nintendo consoles (GBA, SP, DS, GC, Wii) with the exception of recieving a PSP as a christmas gift, but the only games I would actually play were Mario, Sonic or Pokemon games. I never actually left this comfort zone of games until Sonic Unleashed on PS3 was basically the gateway game that made me leave

3) Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - This game is one of the greatest portable games of all time. I loved it so much it made me into a Metal Gear fan because of how good it was to play and I remember buying MGS1 off the PStore immediately

4) Assassin's Creed 2: This was the first M rated game I owned. I remember I became interested in the series because of the hay bail box in Peace Walker. Assassins Creed back then was the coolest fucking video game imaginable to me.

5) Persona 4 Golden: This was my first JRPG that wasn't Pokemon. I loved it and don't remember playing something so gripping. It was my off time from my first year of college and I remember I played this thing on my vita for 24hrs straight. Didn't even sleep. Just kept playing it. It sparked my love of turn based games and JRPGs in general.

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020
Pokemon Yellow - Really formative game that has kept me invested in portable gaming 25 years later. Also might have influenced my desire to always pick the low tiers because I still tell my "I beat Brock with a Caterpie when I was four" story to anyone in my general vicinity.

Smash Bros 64 - I got absolutely trounced by my buddy David during a sleepover at his house and cried my eyes out. Sorry for freaking your mom out David, but thanks for beating my ass so bad it inspired my love of growing and improving in fighting games. I don't cry anymore!

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories - I was completely obsessed with KH as a kid but didn't own a PS2, so I would pour over the old Square websites and magazines to try and experience as much of this world as possible. And when I finally got CoM and later on borrowed my friend's PS2 for KH1 & 2 it really sucked me in with it's growing cast of characters and infinitely bloating story and lore. KH was probably the first franchise I played every entry of despite how inconsequential to the main plot it seemed and I still love super inter-connected franchises with loads of characters like DrakenNier and the Remedyverse.

Metal Gear Rising - Double whammy of learning how to enjoy goofy games instead of taking myself so seriously 100% of the time and finding out just how much I love character action games. It also, bizarrely, retroactively got me into Metal Gear proper and led me to one of my all-time top 5's MGS2*.

Undertale - The gamer I am today would physically not be where they are if I hadn't fallen head over heels for this game and intensely bonded over it with someone who eventually became my partner. They then got me to move across the entire country to be with them, so I'm pretty sure that counts? Thanks Undertale!

* 1. Hypnospace Outlaw 2. Undertale 3. Ace Combat 3 4. Metal Gear Solid 2 5. Control

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Yellow
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
Runescape
Halo 3
Destiny

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
Upstate NY
God this is so hard

1. The original Super Mario Brothers - The one that mightve started it all , I remember my parents had a landlord that introduced me to it and we stayed up all night beating the game, it might be the earliest video game memory i have.

2. Sonic the hedgehog , I'll never forget the day opened up my Sega Genesis at my grandparents house and just the memories , it was my first non Nintendo system and pretty early on solidified me as a "gets the new console" type of gamer.

3. Super Punch Out - This is the game that I attribute the most to my love of the Souls borne games. You have to fight the characters over and over, get their moveset down and learn what punches they are weak to . I'll never forget fighting hoy quarlow.

Resetera bugger but my last 2 were Quake 3 and Zelda oot

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time — this is the first 3D action adventure game I ever played. I knew as a 7 year old that I was playing something legendary. To this day, OoT is in my all-time Top 5.

2. Battlefield 2 — This wasn't the first online MP shooter I ever played, but it was the first shooter I competed in. I was so fucking good at this game. COD4 could also be here but I think overall I was far more dominant in BF2.

3. Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II — PSO on the GameCube was the first online action RPG my cousin and I got into. We played this for hundreds of hours. There were nights we would pull all nighters and play until the sun came up.

4. The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion — Morrowind was my first Elder Scrolls but I only ever played at my friends house during sleepovers. I didn't have an Xbox so I can't really claim Morrowind. Oblivion on the other hand, I played for hundred of hours across multiple characters. I didn't even own a 360 either. My cousin let me borrow his 360 one summer and that is all I played.

5. Bloodborne — Dark Souls would be here but my PS3 broke right when Dark Souls launched. Even though I didn't play Dark Souls, all I consumed was Dark Souls YouTube content for months and months. I was obsessed watching playthroughs and PvPs. Bloodborne was my first FromSoft experience and boy was it worth the wait. Because of Bloodborne, FromSoft is easily my favorite developer and style of games.

Honorable mentions:

GTA San Andreas (might even be tempted to replace with PSO)
Madden 05
Perfect Dark
Pokémon Yellow
MotorStorm Pacific Rift
NFS Underground
MGS3

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
1. Halo CE was my first M rated game, my first PC game, and my first FPS which was foundational for my preference of all of the above.

2. Mass Effect is my favorite franchise of all time and had a major influence on my enjoyment of RPGs in general, but also my preference for sci-fi over fantasy.

3. Slay The Spire introduced me to Roguelites, my favorite genre of games overall, and I absolutely fell in love with the endless replayability.

4. Dead Space was a game that I was too young to play when it released, but came back to years later and found a reinvigorated love for, as well as Survival Horror in general now.

5. Warframe, my most played game of all time. I don't play it much anymore, but I can't understate the influence it had on my life for several years. I never got into MMOs when I was younger, but Warframe really engaged me in the live-service style narrative and ongoing relationship you have with the world and your character. I was with the game through every update, I remember playing it when it was just the single Corpus Ship tileset and there were like 8 warframes to choose from at most. I have 1100 hours on Steam, but the game didn't originally launch in closed beta on Steam and I easily put the majority of my time into the game during those early days before it was available on storefronts.

Honorable Mentions:
- Destiny, which fills a role similar to Warframe and that I juggled alongside it for a good while.
- Dark Souls because it's Dark Souls.
- Garry's Mod had a hold on 12 year old me and my friends for a good while and I still think of it fondly.
- Divinity: Original Sin was actually the impetus for me branching out in real life and exploring Dungeons & Dragons which I've played weekly for 5 years now.

I guess if I had to pull a pattern from my picks, I'd say that sci-fi games, RPGs, and shooters are all high on my list of things that will draw me in just on premise alone.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Super Mario RPG
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Parappa The Rapper
Final Fantasy VIII
Sonic Adventure

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
Lunar: The Silver Star
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy XI

Series-wise I would add in Castlevania, Mega Man, Sonic.

Hard to limit to 5 really.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 1
Rock Band 2
Call of Duty 4
Half-Life 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

The moral of the story; make sequels

Alexandr0s

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, Washington, USA
1. Super Mario Bros — cemented my love for video games and for physics-based gameplay as one of the most important aspects that makes a game fun to me
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past — sanded off the rough edges of the original Legend of Zelda (which I also adore) and showed me how much fun an epic adventure with emphasis on twitch-based gameplay and light puzzle solving
3. Final Fantasy VI - I played Final Fantasy I and IV at my friend's house, but FFVI was the first RPG I bought at launch and played obsessively at home instead of watching my friend or playing at his house
4. Shadow of the Colossus - a game that felt tailor-made for me and was less mainstream than most of the games I was playing at the time. Taught me to look for more of the "hidden gems"
5. Super Meat Boy - independent games can be even better than the games that inspired them (see #1 above)! Solidified my love for indy games

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
The Guardian Legend
This gave me the love for shooters and bullet hell I have today.

Final Fantasy IV/II
I never really got into Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, but my older brother brought home this game after he borrowed it from a friend. I was absolutely hooked and started my love for RPGs.

Street Fighter 2
Gave me that competitive spirit for fighting games that I absolutely love to this day.

Monster Hunter
When this came out I didn't like it. I gave it several more tries and still couldn't stand it. Fast forward to Monster Hunter Tri and something just…*clicked*. I was absolutely hooked and it is probably my absolute favorite series.

DOOM
I played Wolfenstein 3D, in fact that was the game that got me into computers as a hobby, but there was something absolutely magical about DOOM. I played the shareware version more than most full releases, I loved the secrets, exploration and the first time getting the BFG was an experience I will never forget.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario World- I had played games before but this was the first one I beat and mastered.

Street Fighter 2- In the arcade and consoles this game gave birth to my competitive nature.

Halo CE- The game just blew my mind in every way. By far my most played FPS campaign and the Halo night memories live on till this day.

Morrowind- My favorite single player game of all time.

Dark Souls- Pretty much ruined the combat in every other action/rpg game till this day. Some of the most fun I've had in PvP.

Honorable Mentions:
GTA 3- I was a huge fan of GTA 2 and this game just took everything to the next level.
Day of Defeat- Started my love affair with Valve and to this day my favorite MP FPS of all time.
Rocket League- I played this game daily for nearly 5 years.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I sort of gave them away in the other thread, but here they go:
  1. Vagrant Story
  2. Super Metroid
  3. Metal Gear Solid
  4. Final Fantasy IV (II in SNES)
  5. Super Mario Bros. 3

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Warrior (Quest) - Not my first video game, but the first one that really captured my imagination and made me fall in love with games.

Tekken 2 - Similarly, I'd played other fighters, but this one turned me into a real fighting game fan. I was sold from the moment I saw that first intro, and I didn't stop playing it until 3 came out.

Subspace / Continuum - My all time most played game, and the first one I really got into competitively - joining squads, playing in leagues and stuff.

DDR Konamix - Hooked me on rhythm games, introduced me to whole new genres of music, and got me back into shape in college. Konamix gets the nod for getting me hooked, but close second to 5th Mix for being the arcade mix I got good on (plus it's just amazing).

Soul Calibur 2 - Probably the game that's had the single most impact on my life. The center of my social circle in college, let me meet cool people from all around the country, and then two decades later helped me get through COVID isolation.

Last edited:

Mr. Magic

Aug 8, 2020
Mega Man X-The first game I really fell in love with. The speed of the combat and tight controls just clicked with me. Cool character designs and great, replayable, secret-filled levels occupied my time for hours and hours.

Sim City 2000- I just loved making the most aesthetically pleasing city with cool road networks. I think I played the Urban Renewal kit more than the base game. It's why I have so many hours in City Skylines, damn shame about City Skylines 2. Sim City 2013 continues to be one of the most disappointing games of all time.

MGS1-The first time I really got into a story in a video game. Everything about it was just cool as hell.

Final Fantasy 7-It was my first Final Fantasy game and I have been sworn to a blood oath to play every single player Final Fantasy game until I die.

World of Warcraft-This game ruined me.

Honorable mentions: GTA:SA- Not my first GTA game, but this felt like a magical game that could go on forever. An epic story across two states with crazy, colorful characters. I did the gang war side quests in LS for so long.

Half-Life- Just sublime. 10/10(except for Xen). No notes.

Last edited:

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
1. Pokémon Yellow
2. Ace Combat 04
3. Final Fantasy X
4. GTA San Andreas
5. Gran Turismo 4

Bonus: Kingdom Hearts, SSX, Rise of Nations, and Soul Calibur 2

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
First and foremost its gotta be Pokemon Red. Game basically taught me how to read. Gave me a love for RPG's that I really wouldn't know I had until FFX.

Then there's Ocarina of Time. I was so blown away by that game back then. The start screen, the menus, the adventure thereafter. Been a diehard Zelda fan since.

Smash Bros. may be up there as well in terms of influencing me. Just the sheer amount of time I spent playing 64 with my brothers and cousins. Great memories and solidified my love for couch multiplayer.

Kingdom Hearts is probably the next big one. Just came out at the exact right time for me as a kid who loved Disney movies and was discovering my love for Final Fantasy. KH2 is still my favorite game of all time to my favorite series of all time.

And for the last one lets go with Monster Hunter. Freedom Unite was my first one, and it was the first game that had a higher difficulty that I enjoyed, which I feel in turn allowed me to approach the souls series with an open mind and love it. Played every Monster Hunter since.

There are so many other games though that influenced me:

Super Metroid
A Link to the Past
Kirby's Dreamland
Final Fantasy X
Metal Gear Solid 2
SSX
Pikmin
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
Golden Eye
StarCraft
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario Bros. 3
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
World of Warcraft
Final Fantasy XIV
Civilization 3
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The Legend of Zelda - the exploration hooked very young me, and I've loved exploring worlds since.

Final Fantasy - this was where my love for JRPG started. Created countless parties.

Mario 64 - I really like 2D platformers, but every day I will pick 3D ones if I had to choose. Exploring fun worlds with playful move sets while collecting whatever is the dumb fun I look for when I want to relax.

Final Fantasy VII - while I loved a lot of JRPG on the SNES, it was FFVII that took my love for the genre to the next level.

Oblivion/Fallout 3 - while I had like WRPG before these, this combo (more F3) made me start appreciating the freedom of choice.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Quest 4: got me hooked on RPGs. Probably the first full priced game I bought with my own money after I rented it and couldn't get enough

Pokemon Red/Blue: formed (several) friendships that persist to this day, still pay a lot of attention to the franchise

Skyrim: Discovered how fun modding can be thanks to the game and the community behind it

Final Fantasy XIV: where I initially met my SO, we've been together almost 10 years. Still both playing

What Remains of Edith Finch: without spoilering anything, what a genuinely incredible, one of a kind game

Oct 27, 2017
I have got to go back to my childhood for this. Great topic btw.

1). Super Mario Bros
First game I ever played at 6 years old and shaped the foundation of everything gaming related to me as a kid in 1988.

2). Dragon Warrior
Same as above. Shaped my love for role playing games in general. I remember writing down on paper how much the next weapon/armor upgrade would be and grinding out exp/gold to progress. GREAT memories and still love the series to this day.

3). The Legend of Zelda
Whew….again a classic that instilled a sense of adventure and exploration which to a kid blew my mind. I still remember my dad drawing out dungeon maps since there was no internet or guide at the time.

4). Final Fantasy 7
To this day my favorite game—the remakes have done them incredible justice as well. When the original released it blew my mind—going from SNES graphics to the presentation of FMV's on PS1 was mind blowing at the time. It still sticks in my mind as the best ever.

5). Skyrim
Ahhh my love for open world games before they were a common hated thing. Probably my first true open world game and it completely immersed me in every way. For a few months after release my life was Skyrim…and I loved every minute of it.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Spyro the Dragon
Tomb Raider
Crash Bandicoot
Soulcalibur II
Tekken 3

That's as a child, but I go crazy for action adventure, games with strong focus on exploration and clever level design, and basically any 3D fighter though as I've gotten older fighters don't resonate with me as much.

Dark Souls III, Prey and Hollow Knight describe me much more as adult.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
Sure I'll give it a shot. I'm nearing my 40s so keep that in mind.

Super Mario Bros. 3: While I played Atari 2600 in the 80s before I could get an NES, I did later get an NES right around the time the SNES hit, and while I played and loved a ton of games for it, I would say this was the game that turned me into a gamer proper. It was the first time things like production values, the world, music, visuals, mechanics, just everything felt so robust and perfect at the time. It took what was a fun time killer into a true hobby for life, and is still one of the best games ever made.

Sonic the Hedgehog: I didn't even know the Master System existed in my childhood, but Sonic was a game that brought me into the Sega ecosystem and turned me into an undying fan of the company all the way until they pulled out of the hardware business. While not in itself one of my favorite experiences from them, it was instrumental to getting me started as a Sega fan, something I still wear on my sleeve so to speak.

Quake III (Dreamcast/PC): This is a kind of elaborate one. I played this on Dreamcast and it was one of my earliest exposures to online gaming. I remember trying to play it with a controller on dial up, but would get destroyed routinely. It was then I invested in a keyboard/mouse configuration and learned how to use that setup, from there I learned to master one of the deepest FPS games ever designed. At some point, Sega had enabled cross play with the game with PC users, but this caused PC users to come in and stomp all over DC players. The run speed being tied to the framerate made it so they could make jumps or break maps, etc, which eventually forced me over to the PC platform.

From there, I ended up being considered a pretty top tier player over time, running various clans and doing tryouts, having rivalries, etc. I even ended up hooking up with a girl from the game in part to how impressed she was, which lasted a bit, so that was memorable. To this day, I still consider Quake III the top shooter ever made, it ruined the genre in many ways for me, but I can still enjoy some FPS from time to time.

Guitar Hero 2 (Xbox 360): This is kind of a weird one, but I got into this game around the time I began to re-establish connections with family, resulting in having a lot of good memories while playing this. During a family trip at a resort we had the system and this along with us to play during down time, and I ended up meeting a girl and getting to know her during the trip. Outside of playing cards and watching movies, I used this game as a way of easing the physical contact tension with her and ended up having a good time teaching her how to play. We're still together 17 years later, and I make sure I always keep the guitar controller I used for that moment around.

This experience helped me appreciate 'casual' games a lot, or the value they can bring. I remember the battles people had hating stuff like Wii Sports, Cooking Mama, or whatever, but I consider this my gateway game to those types of experiences. Having common ground within the medium with family, friends, or lovers is valuable even if it doesn't suit my hardcore side of the hobby, but it made me glad I didn't become one of 'those' types of gamers in the day.

Breath of the Wild: Prior to BOTW, my favorite game of all time was Ninja Gaiden Black, followed up with various Zelda titles, etc. When BOTW released I was pretty apprehensive about it, I didn't care much for open world stuff, and I didn't like TP or SS that much, SS being the first Zelda I did not complete at that point. While I wasn't super warm on it to start, as I learned how free form, open and inventive it was, it continued to blow my mind over and over. I almost went through a form of denial because I just assumed at that age, I would never replace any game in my top 10 just due to being too jaded, let alone my top spot.

Eventually after about 80 hours I gave in and accepted it was just that special though, and it was a transformative experience. Upon finishing the game, I began a new career, moved, and changed job titles multiple times, but I kind of mentally associate it as the last significant memory of where I used to live as well, so I think it will hold a certain position in my nostalgia for a long time. I still consider it the standard for the medium today, even if TOTK is more robust, it was just more transformative.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Final Fantasy VII
Fallout 2
Neverwinter Nights
TES IV Oblivion
World of Warcraft

All released within less than 10 years, during my school days. FFVII opened the path to my JRPG journey, while Fallout 2 & Neverwinter Nights into CRPGs. Oblivion was my first foray into PC modding, I was blown away with all the options and things I could do to alter my game back then. And WoW is for the obvious reason, introducing me to the amazing worlds of MMORPGs that I still enjoy today.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)
My first game. It started everything. I didn't finish it until a few years ago because I just replayed Green Hill Zone as a kid.

Star Wars: Episode I Racer (1999)
The first game I ever really loved and finished to completion. I was mostly just into sports and racing games as a kid.

Star Wars Battlefront (2004)
The first game that I was all aboard the prerelease hype train for. My first multiplayer game too. Bought a PS2 just for this.

Guitar Hero (2005)
This game was something really special that really clicked with me. It influenced my love of music and rhythm games.

Halo 3 (2007)
Got me into online games, game communities, and level editors. It's the reason I got into game dev. Bought a 360 just for this.

Honorable Mentions:
MLB 2006 - The first game I really dove deep into. I probably poured a thousand hours into it.
Dead Space (2008) - Got me into horror games, now my favorite genre. I also had RE1 as a kid, but never finished it. Too scared lol.

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
In no particular order...
  • Mega Man 6 (NES) - I remember playing Mega Man 2-6 growing up, but 6 had the biggest impact on me.
  • Kid Cool (NES) - I know, this is a weird one. There was something about the "story" that had me really intrigued, and I suspect that's what hooked me.
  • Super Mario 64 (N64) - I believe this game will go down as a one of the top 5 games of all time. When you consider not just the game itself but the impact on gaming...Like most kids who got this at release, it was evidence that video games were changing.
  • Earthbound (SNES) - I wasn't a huge RPG fan, but when I finally sat down and played this...Hoo boy. I think what really did it for me was the modern setting. I love the Yakuza series almost exclusively because it tends to be set in modern locations.
  • DIablo 2: LoD (PC) - The Battle Chest was a big purchase for me. I became addicted to loot based games once I dug into this. I still consider D2:LoD to be one of the best games of all time. Every ARPG I have played since D2 is simply a reminder of how it started. D1 is cool, but D2 is just magic.
Honorable Mention:

Not a game, but a piece of software. The Games Factory was a piece of software that made me completely alter the way I LOOKED at games. butzopower had a license that he shared amongst a few of us. I know other shit already existed when TGF came out, but this changed EVERYTHING.

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
Slay the Spire: WIthout this game I wouldve never given games like Inscryption, Midnight Suns, and other deckbuilders a shot. It's one of my favorite genres now.
Pokemon Red: Cant say im a fan of the low quality Pokemon game nowadays but this is my first turned based RPG - which continues to me favorite genre of combat.
Persona 4 Golden: At this point I had stopped playing turned based JRPGs but this game on the Vita reinvigorated my interest in the genre.
Soul Calibur: Not my first or favorite fighting game but the one that really made me love the genre.
Uncharted 2 : The only reason i own a PS5 and will probably continue to buy Playstation consoles is how much i enjoy all the big exclusive third person action games. Uncharted 2 was the first for me.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Ocarina of Time, SimCity 1, Deus Ex, Team Fortress Classic, Age of Empires 2.

Honorable Mention to Civilization 2, Quake 1 on the computers in my tech lab in Grade 9, and Cross-Country Canada on the class computer in elementary school.

FaerieRose

Jun 25, 2023
Pac-Man - First game I played.
Civilization II - Favorite childhood game.
Zelda: OoT - First game with a story.
Pokemon Blue - First JRPG.
Ever17 - First visual novel I completed.

Oct 25, 2017
1. Metal Gear Solid - truly felt like id entered a world beyond just a game.
2. Resident Evil 1 - horror, deep love of lore
3. GoldenEye 64 - amazing game, got me hooked on competitive MP early
4. Zelda OOT/MM - first real game that i lived and breathed for an extended amount of time
5. Rainbow 6 Vegas - took me to a competitive MP level where I was playing every night, making legitimate friends(some I still have nearly 20 years later) i was in the 40s on the leader board for a long time even after leaving for what this game had prepared me for..... Call of Duty 4

6. Call of Duty 4..... Its literally the foundation of my video game hobby. Even if the game is likely to be shit im buying Call of Duty every year, its my one guarantee.
Get COD at midnight, beat the campaign play a few hours of MP then sleep like hell.
CODWW2 is the only title since COD4 in 2007 that I didn't get at midnight(Because I was in the hospital) Activision sent me the game afterwards.
sadly this might be changing as im at the point of never buying a Sledgehammer game again though.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
1. Super Mario Bros.
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. Mortal Kombat
4. Pokémon
5. Fortnite
BONUS: Indies/Mobile games

My mom got me into gaming by gifting me NES games, and she casually got me Mario and Zelda because she saw them in a Sears Catalog and looked as something I would like. She also got me random "cheap games" that turned out quite fun so is why I always enjoy indies and mobile games I guess and always open to try new/different/cheaper things.

Mortal Kombat also was part of growing up and my parents enjoying watching me play it, also confirmed I enjoy fighting games in general. Street Fighter, Tekken, Virtua Fighter...

Deleted member 165939

Mar 19, 2024
Wing Commander
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Counter Strike
World of Warcraft

Sariel

Developer at Phoenix Labs
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Growing Up: These are all games that I reference for various reasons but where I spent a ton of time when playing games. Super tough to cut down.

Link To The Past (SNES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (SNES)
Goldeneye (N64)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSN)
Final Fantasy VII (PSN)

Modern:
These games shaped me into who I am in terms of my career in the games industry.

Jak and Daxter (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Uncharted (PS3)
Horizon (PS4)
Destiiny (PS4)

Bonus: Team Fortress 2

pittman

Aug 15, 2019
Super Mario world: first game I ever played and I still adore it

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: what a huge adventure filled with so many secrets. Plays sublime, and does so much with its gameplay and twisting it around at the time

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: I came a couple years late to this one so the industry had already been inspired a ton by it. I owned a PlayStation and had played the quake and unreal games so I wasn't really blown away by the graphics. But this felt like the future of 3d games to me. It has a story!!!! Camera angles! Horse riding! It inspired my imagination like no other. While I play majora mask more these days, this game was such a watershed moment for me.

Half Life: didn't play this till 2005 or so but I fell in love with it to the point that my first tattoo was a lambda

Deus Ex: this game still fucks. I didn't want it to end. So many awesome beats (fighting your way out of UNESCO) with so many cool missions, hilarious voice acting, cool quests, and most importantly so many cool emergent gameplay bits. I'm still chasing a high like this in games 20 years later.

Last edited:

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I'm much more shaped by things I don't like.

Resident Evil - I never want to play anything like it again.

Bloodborne - I'm getting tired of these games.

Final Fantasy XIII - I don't think I like Final Fantasy anymore, it can't get any worse than this.

Final Fantasy XVI - Maybe it can

Mass Effect 2 - Wrex isn't coming with me, this is bullshit.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
Super Mario Bros. 3-It's the first game I remember experiencing pre-release for and it more than lived up to it.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past-This is the earliest game I can remember playing where I actually thought about game design. It hit me that the game was designed to open up gradually, and it was impossible to get stuck… There were always exactly the number of keys you need in each dungeon, etc.

Symphony of the Night-Castlevania games were always okay, but I didn't love them. Playing this and seeing how it didn't have levels and just kept unfurling before you was amazing. Still my favorite genre to this day.

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)-I didn't know it was possible for games to do the things this game did. It was fast and fluid. It was unforgiving, but it was so fun it didn't matter.

Rogue Legacy-This is the first rogue-like that clicked me. I understood the appeal of this genre and how great these gameplay loops actually are.

Honorable mention-Doom (2016)-Coming off a decade plus of FPS games trying desperately to hide their gamey-ness in favor of realism, this one really went for it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Speaking for 2024 tastes only, because there are past game types that I pretty much dropped but had invested a lot of interest and time into. So this isn't 5 that had biggest impact over the course of my total gaming life, but 5 that define what my tastes are right now in August of 2024.

1) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild… specifically the Switch version, because I have a very, very heavy preference for games that I can play on-the-go on a handheld because of the positive and life-changing impact of Breath of the Wild in particular. I'm not even very typically into "emergent gameplay" open endedness, but the gameplay being familiar design tropes from Zelda that I understand from Zelda being one of my franchises made me take big exception to that, and the world design expanding to an opennness that matched my childhood perception of Zelda as grand adventures, AND being able to suspend my game, take my console with me to work, and continue this amazing grand-scale kind of gaming experience seamlessly? Like, I'm very privileged to be able to play games during downtime at work, and the Switch launching with Breath of the Wild made the case day 1 for Switch form factor and for the eventual Steam Deck purchase I would make. Breath of the Wild wasn't just an excellent game in its own, it powerfully established new preferences for hardware design that I didn't have before. PlayStation and Xbox feel duller every year to me because I can't take my games reliably on the go—streaming is a bad experience as soon as I leave me home (it's fine in-home though). I can still do traditional console hardware, but the longer I go in this post-Switch reality, the less appealing it becomes.

2) Dark Souls. Yeah, like many others, I onboarded into Souls-like gameplay love with Dark Souls in 2011. Dark Souls was a game that finally made paying attention to things like hit boxes, animation timing, etc... appealing and fun. These were realms of thought and approach to play that I was aware of prior to Dark Souls, but I think Dark Souls is the first game where I found it both gratifying and actually instrumental to my success in the game. But, I will say, I don't think this would've worked for me if it weren't for the various communal layers to Dark Souls. There's the way the summon system works in-game. There's the way the community had to get clever with the messaging system to either help or hinder other players. There's the way the community tried to extract a more cohesive storyline through interpretation of super obscure information hidden in flavor text. The gameplay mastery stuff itself was fun to a certain degree, but I think the dual-level experience of engaging with that AND the constant community effort to beat back the challenges of this game and provide levity and understanding to its world really got it across the finish line. That might help explain why I don't like Sekiro -- not only is Sekiro more properly structured and built like an action game, it just completely lacks the community element that really makes the series shine for me. And maybe that's why I have a hard time with the many imitators too. The game design is good, but the community aspect is the secret sauce that takes it to excellence. So, Dark Souls leveled up my critical thinking skills when it came to gameplay, but it was also just a fun experience utilizing the notes and summons of other players to help survive my way through the gauntlet of challenge it provided as well, and that remains pretty distinctive to me in later Souls-like releases from FromSoftware.

3) Dragon Quest XI. I started my enthusiast level interest into video games after experiencing a JRPG: Final Fantasy VII. But that interest waned for a very long time for a lot of reasons. Dragon Quest XI came along and just felt kinda "elemental" in a way -- in that it was pretty simple to understand but also felt classical and well-tread in a way that was extremely comforting and felt inviting for me to get back into the genre. Ever since DQXI released, I've been keeping a much closer eye on JRPGs and generally finding myself having a good time. It's a genre that just feels like nostalgic comfort food sometimes. DQXI was also an exception to some of the tropes feeling wearisome -- my return to the genre on the back of DQXI has run me into some tropes that I find either boring or offputting, so I admit it wasn't a perfect return to the genre, but DQXI itself felt almost entirely unburdened by the worst tropes of the genre in my eyes and just felt kinda like pure, distilled comfort. I'm still seeking the same high I got from DQXI from the broader JRPG genre and has made it one of the most keen genres that I pay attention to in 2024, and I am glad to report that I still occasionally find it here and there.

4) Resident Evil 2 Remake. I gained back personal trust and adoration for the Resident Evil franchise with RE7, with admittedly only a one-game breaking point in RE6, but the lead-up to RE6 with the various spinoffs surrounding its release was a part of that loss of faith too. RE2 Remake kinda infusing that fresh restoration of faith with an absolute jolt of nostalgia from recrafting the narrative of one of my favorite games in the franchise kinda got all of the fires blazing, though. This took a lot of what RE7 laid down as the new identity of the franchise and went back to third-person and set it in a scenario I was delighted to see revisited. Ever since RE2 Remake, there hasn't been a new mainline RE game that I haven't replayed at least 5 times. I just have a feverish love for the current stretch of RE, and Capcom miraculously seems to keep hitting with that franchise right now, and at a pace that I find pretty remarkable as well.

5) Doom Eternal. Oddly enough, this game seemed to have the critical thinking requirements of Souls games but still had the absolute joyful movement with the weapon and enemy feedback of the best "boomer shooters" of yore, and kinda reawakened my latent boomer shooter love. Maybe it started with Doom 2016, but like with RE7 vs RE2, I think Eternal's more advanced design really kicked it into gear for me. And I don't seem to be alone in this, because it feels like a gamut of indie studios have been riding the "boomer shooter" craze extremely well since Doom 2016 kinda inspired a lot of us to look back. Or maybe that was always there and Doom 2016 just made people like me actually start paying attention. But again, it wasn't firmly sealed until I played Doom Eternal. And I know reception to Eternal isn't universally positive--but I will say that for me, in my present general headspace, it feels like a remarkably contemporary and satisfying action game that is charismatically cosplayed as a first-person shooter, and I absolutely love its execution on that perspective. But it also made me re-love the original 90's Doom, and Quake I and II, etc... as NightDive and other indies all revive the games of the past that led to Doom Eternal and create new games in that style. I just beat Selaco's early access "Act I" last week and had an absolute blast of a time. I've been playing that Doom I+II re-release pretty obsessively since it shadow dropped at the start of QuakeCon. I've been just loving being back into boomer shooters. Doom The Dark Ages is up there with Dragon Quest III HD-2D as one of my most anticipated games because I can't wait to get to that unafraid 90's heavy metal imagery and that high-speed movement and weapon frenzy.

Shout-out to: Uncharted 2. It changed how I perceived PlayStation exclusives and made me crave that highly cinematic, technical-boundary-pushing approach when it came to PlayStation exclusives ever since. This doesn't quite make the top 5 because I admit that I'm starting to gradually fatigue on this approach as the actual top 5 kinda move me in different directions, but I've still ended up loving how PlayStation exclusives have felt in style ever since Uncharted 2 dropped. Right through Spider-Man 2 last year... But alas, these kinds of games increasingly don't play nice with my handhelds, their gameplay can feel kind of cookiecutter, and so many studios started matching the high technical marks of Sony's own internal studios some time ago, so it's all starting to feel a lot less special and a bit more cookiecutter. But it's also been a reliably hype and fun thing for me, too -- it's just on the cusp of just no longer feeling unique and maybe even sustainable.

And again, I want to stress that I came at my list as the perspective of what kind of gamer I am in 2024 in particular. This leaves out how I was crack addicted to WoW for the better part of its first decade and I jumped between a bunch of MMORPGs that were trying to be the next big WoW moment for the genre between lapsed subscriptions to WoW. This now excludes how I was only into COD outside of WoW for much of my college years. Now I don't even think about WoW and I just dropped COD a couple of years ago, after long relegating it to casual comfort commitment style engagement about a decade ago. So there's a lot of larger personal history that's no longer in play for me in 2024, but I interpreted this thread more like "what made you who you are in gaming RIGHT NOW" and not "what games made the biggest impact on you throughout your life." This list ain't the latter, it's the former.