MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I guess this could sort of be considered my LTTP to The Switch though it has been quite a few months since I bought it.

I bought my Switch in June as I couldn't wait to play BotW and Mario Odyssey any longer. Loved both of those games and I put something like 70 hours into Zelda in its first month. The feel and design of the Switch felt so nice and it's truly one of my favorite looking devices.

I bought Splatoon 2 a few weeks later and had fun with it however I played a ton of the original Splatoon and it felt like more of the same. Since then my Switch has been collecting dust and I've had no reason to pick it up.

Itching for a game to play I bought Octopath Traveler despite me not liking old style turn based games and pixel art so of course I dropped it after a few hours. Same thing with Hollow Knight. I do not like 2D Metroidvania's so I had no love for Hollow Knight.

Owning a Wii U I already played many of the Switch games like Mario Kart, Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Tropical Freeze, and Captain Toad and can't justify buying them for full price again. There hasn't been a big original game for the Switch in a while.

I think the biggest issue is the eShop itself. Every time I enter the eShop I'm just bombarded by garbage. There are so many cheap 2D platforms and anime dating sims type stuff. There's no way to actually find anything worth buying or know if it's even worth getting. If I log onto the PS4 store for example I can find many great games for cheap. I honestly think the Switch needs to cut down the amount of games by half in the store and stop letting crappy little $2 bombard the sales section.

Price is also an issue. There seems to be absolutely no decent sales on the Switch eShop. I know Nintendo games never drop in price but why is Skyrim $60 without ever having a sale? I've seen the same game go for $20 on the PS4 store and the extra $40 is not worth it for portability.

Speaking of portability. I've never actually used it. I live in a one bedroom apartment so my bed is where the TV is and I never have any reason to take it out and play it in bed when my tv is a few feet away. I'm in college and have time inbetween classes where I could play it but I would rather work on homework during that time and then play the Switch when I get back to my apartment.

I'm sure once Pokemon and Smash come out I'll use it again but its so depressing to turn it on and have no games I want to play or buy.

So TL;DR: The Switch is a great device but the store sucks to find anything, games are too expensive, and I never use the portability.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The Switch isn't all that great for a lot of people if you take out the portability aspect.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
I cant say I have this issue im up to 57 switch games with a pretty decent backlog but I can understand were your coming from op.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Go to the bestseller list, pick anything out of the top 30. They're all good. Judging by your OP it only looks like you're looking at AAA stuff to play.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Yea I'm in the same boat. Haven't bought a new game for it in almost a year.

Would like to buy Bayonetta 2 but Nintendo refuses to drop prices so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Though to be fair I sort of expected this considering I have a PS4 and PC for multi platform games.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Why are you buying games you know you won't like?

Software pricing is an issue to have with the publisher and not the platform. They are free to drop the price and charge whatever they want for their games on the eShop.

eShop quality may be mixed, but there are a ton of quality eShop titles on Switch from indie and other third-party companies.

Try the demo of VC4 if you like that genre. Consider looking into Disgaea 1 Complete this upcoming week if you enjoy SRPG.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Same with mine, but I'm really excited for Smash, Mario Party and the Pokemon games coming out. Money is tight, so I have to be really particular when purchasing videogames lately.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Go to the bestseller list, pick anything out of the top 30. They're all good. Judging by your OP it only looks like you're looking at AAA stuff to play.

I don't really enjoy indie games. They're fine but I have so many from getting them for free on PS+ I don't feel the urge to spend $15 on some 8bit retro game.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this could sort of be considered my LTTP to The Switch though it has been quite a few months since I bought it.

I bought my Switch in June as I couldn't wait to play BotW and Mario Odyssey any longer. Loved both of those games and I put something like 70 hours into Zelda in its first month. The feel and design of the Switch felt so nice and it's truly one of my favorite looking devices.

I bought Splatoon 2 a few weeks later and had fun with it however I played a ton of the original Splatoon and it felt like more of the same. Since then my Switch has been collecting dust and I've had no reason to pick it up.

Itching for a game to play I bought Octopath Traveler despite me not liking old style turn based games and pixel art so of course I dropped it after a few hours. Same thing with Hollow Knight. I do not like 2D Metroidvania's so I had no love for Hollow Knight.

Owning a Wii U I already played many of the Switch games like Mario Kart, Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Tropical Freeze, and Captain Toad and can't justify buying them for full price again. There hasn't been a big original game for the Switch in a while.

I think the biggest issue is the eShop itself. Every time I enter the eShop I'm just bombarded by garbage. There are so many cheap 2D platforms and anime dating sims type stuff. There's no way to actually find anything worth buying or know if it's even worth getting. If I log onto the PS4 store for example I can find many great games for cheap. I honestly think the Switch needs to cut down the amount of games by half in the store and stop letting crappy little $2 bombard the sales section.

Price is also an issue. There seems to be absolutely no decent sales on the Switch eShop. I know Nintendo games never drop in price but why is Skyrim $60 without ever having a sale? I've seen the same game go for $20 on the PS4 store and the extra $40 is not worth it for portability.

Speaking of portability. I've never actually used it. I live in a one bedroom apartment so my bed is where the TV is and I never have any reason to take it out and play it in bed when my tv is a few feet away. I'm in college and have time inbetween classes where I could play it but I would rather work on homework during that time and then play the Switch when I get back to my apartment.

I'm sure once Pokemon and Smash come out I'll use it again but its so depressing to turn it on and have no games I want to play or buy.

So TL;DR: The Switch is a great device but the store sucks to find anything, games are too expensive, and I never use the portability.

I mean, i wanna just Okay your whole thread, but honestly read what you posted. I highlighted the bigger wtf statement.

Other than that it is all subjective, I've found a ton of great deals and games to play on the Eshop. I easily see 4 games a week that interest me. The Eshop thread is huge every month. My wishlist is like 40 games deep and that is after culling it back severely. I'm trying to figure out why you bought the system in the first place? Just for BOTW and Odyssey? Cool, but did you not dig deeper and look more before leaping?

I don't really enjoy indie games. They're fine but I have so many from getting them for free on PS+ I don't feel the urge to spend $15 on some 8bit retro game.

Giant Eye roll. Also reinforcing the question why did you buy it and not do more research?

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the switch is nothing special at all if you exclusively play it docked. It's great to play in bed while watching Netflix or something

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
If you care only about first larty stuff it's only to be expected. It has more than 1000 games right mow though, there should be something for you. But I kinda understand where you are coming from, it's tough knowing that we will have to wait 2-3 years at least for the next big Mario or Zelda

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
So did my Switch while I was beasting through DQ XI, but now that I conquered it my Switch is getting the proper love it deserves again.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
We had a thread like this locked already.

The eShop has a featured page and also weekly sales.

Check those out

The weekly sales are bombarded by shovelware. I'm looking at it right now and there's stuff like Mummy Pinball, Gaokoa.Love.100Days, and Animal Rivals clogging up the sales page. I have no idea what in this section is actually good.

Deleted member 47092

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
If you're not thinking you're going to get much use out of it, might be worth selling it on and using that money for something else.

There's a good quantity and diversity in the games, if they're not scratching the itch, might be time to move on.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
You're gonna get a lot of shit for this post, and I love my Switch, but I will say if you're not into indie titles, it's been a bit of a rough year.

Kirby, Mario Tennis and Super Mario Party were disappointing to many, Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad and Hyrule Warriors are Wii U ports and Wolfenstein and especially the sports games are the worst versions of these games.

Smash is my most anticipated game of the year, but 2018 on a first party front has mostly been "here's some smaller titles and GET HYPED FOR SMASH"

We got lots of good indies this year, but honestly, as much as I love Metroidvanias and 2D platformers, I'm burning out of them. Marble It Up was a nice change of pace because it's something *different*.

I hope we get more Nintendo classic games next year to hold us over between big releases. Indies are nice, but honestly, I'd rather play Super Metroid than the vast majority of Metroidvanias on the Switch, I'd rather play Mario 64 than something like Yooka-Laylee, and I'd certainly rather play any mainstream Zelda game than Blossom Tales.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I think this hasn't been a very strong year for the Switch. Most of my enjoyment came from the indie scene. Everything else hasn't blown me away. Not helped by the fact that Nintendo haven't impressed me with a single Multiplayer focused game yet. Splatoon 2 is pretty fun.

They're always lacking in content even compared to their GameCube counterparts like Tennis and Party.

Smash Bros is my only hope for this year.

I'll put it down to a bad year and pray next year will be better.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I had a period of about 5 months where my switch just sat there. It was a bummer but I just played games on other systems. Will probably be doing that for the next few months until I stop being stingy and buy Civ/City Skylines.

Why would you buy a game you know you wouldn't like?

Also do you not leave your house for anything other than school? I'm in grad school and don't usually bring my Switch with me to campus for the same reason (would rather do homework), but bring it with me when I stay with friends or go visit my parents or travel more generally. I've had plenty of portable play even with those months I took off.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Same here pretty much, if I were interested in ports I would probably love it but there just isn't much that appeals to me that is exclusive to Switch.

OP
OP
MrConbon210

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I had a period of about 5 months where my switch just sat there. It was a bummer but I just played games on other systems. Will probably be doing that for the next few months until I stop being stingy and buy Civ/City Skylines.

Why would you buy a game you know you wouldn't like?

Also do you not leave your house for anything other than school? I'm in grad school and don't usually bring my Switch with me to campus for the same reason (would rather do homework), but bring it with me when I stay with friends or go visit my parents or travel more generally. I've had plenty of portable play even with those months I took off.

I have no car so I'm either on campus or in my apartment. My parents live 20 hours away so I see them for major holidays and that's it.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The weekly sales are bombarded by shovelware. I'm looking at it right now and there's stuff like Mummy Pinball, Gaokoa.Love.100Days, and Animal Rivals clogging up the sales page. I have no idea what in this section is actually good.
You a fan of SRPGs? If so, try God Wars. It's similar to Fire Emblem or Disgaea.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah mine is too. I put a little washcloth over it though to help keep a lot of the dust out when it's not on.

The system is full of games this year that I would try but not for $60. Maybe half that and I would take a chance but too bad Nintendo never does good sales.