• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I am not too active here anymore, though I've been a part of the community through its various iterations since the year 2000 or so. I don't really have anyone close to talk to or any other outlet to vent these feelings, so I felt like doing it here among what I consider to be a good group of people

I have lived with my mother for 4 decades. The first two of those decades, she took care of me. The other two, we took care of one another. She has been a constant presence in my life from the moment I was born and though we sometimes had our issues, we loved each other very much even though we didn't always show it. She was diagnosed with lung cancer back in May and at 9:45pm last night, she lost that battle.

We were always a very Disney-centric family. Disney cartoons were always playing at our house when I was young. We visited Disney World often (my mom had hoped to be able to see the new Star Wars theme park before she died, but alas covid happened and made it impossible). I always wanted to grow up to be a Disney animator, making the same kind of beautiful animated movies Disney used to make in the 40's through the 90's. My sister works with the Walt Disney company and our entire living room and kitchen are decorated in Disney paraphernalia.

One of her favorite movies was the 1964 Disney classic, Mary Poppins. Last night, we watched Mary Poppins together for the very last time. I didn't know it was going to be her last night on Earth, but the timing was appropriate. She laid in her bed, unable to move or speak, watching the movie with me and several other members of my family. I don't know if she was able to comprehend what was happening around her, she had been unable to communicate for two days leading up to her passing. The ending of that film always made me feel a bit sad. The way Mary Poppins leaves the Banks family behind, floating off into the sky without saying goodbye having fulfilled her sense of duty, to the rousing, upbeat chorus of the Sherman Brothers' "Let's Go Fly a Kite". My mother stopped breathing at the very end of the movie while the song played over the end credits.

In many ways, I thought my mom was like Mary Poppins. Very serious most of the time, very dutiful. But always with a sense of understanding and caring. I sometimes wondered what Mary Poppins was. Maybe an alien or perhaps a witch of some sort. But I like to think of her as a guardian angel sent from heaven to protect the Banks family. I have no doubt my mother was my guardian angel, and she's now floating back to heaven, just like Mary Poppins at the end of the film.

I love you, mom. I'm sorry I didn't say it nearly enough.

2WohhV6.jpg

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry for your loss, op. It sounds like she was a wonderful mom, and a wonderful person.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
I am heartbroken for you. And for what it's worth, these are some beautiful words you have here for your mom. She knows you love her, I'm sure you said it enough.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I am very sorry for your loss RetroCCN. I have no words other than we're here if you need a listening ear. She sounded like an amazing woman who absolutely knew you loved her.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm so sorry. There are no words I could say that can give you any fulfillment in a time like this but what you shared is beautiful and I'm sure that she was happy to have you and the family with her in the end. I am going through something similar with my aunt and I know it isn't the same but know that I and possibly many others are thinking of you and your mom right now.

Oct 28, 2017
I am very sorry for your loss RetroCCN, though it does lighten my heart to know that your mother was able to spend her last hours with you and other family members watching one of her favorite films, which I see as an immense blessing for everyone involved . . . many people do not get to have that kind of close intimacy with their loved ones in the final hours.

You and your family will be in my thoughts throughout the coming days.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sorry to hear that, you have my condolences. Losses during this time must be extra hard, so I'm hoping the best for you OP.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so sorry but also grateful to have read your post, OP.

I really hope you have friends and family you can lean on right now, if and when you need them.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
I'm really sorry, OP. Almost made me tear up reading how she passed. Sounds like you gave her the best way to go onto whatever is next, around family she loved, and watching a movie she loved. If only we could all go the same.
Hang in there, take it a day at a time. Some part of her will always be with you.
Who knows, maybe you'll see her again some day in some form. Everything is possible, even the impossible.

SeaSilver

Banned
Dec 28, 2020
Thank you for that beautiful remembrance of your mother. I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how you must feel right now

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I am sorry for your loss OP. Moms should be eternal, they are the most loving beings of this world.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
My condolences OP, I'm sure she knew you loved her, you said it enough, watching one of her favorite movies with her in her last moments is another way of showing that love.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
My condolences. I have lost mine 3 years ago, and to this day i still miss her. Especially on quiet days when there isn't much to do, i sometimes wonder why she hasn't called yet to ask how things are going...then i remember she's no longer with us :(

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your post was beautiful and I'm glad you were able to have that relationship with your mother.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
my condolences.

Sounds like she went away the best way possible, surrounded by family and watching a movie that you all treasure.

Oct 29, 2017
I am not too active here anymore, though I've been a part of the community through its various iterations since the year 2000 or so. I don't really have anyone close to talk to or any other outlet to vent these feelings, so I felt like doing it here among what I consider to be a good group of people

I have lived with my mother for 4 decades. The first two of those decades, she took care of me. The other two, we took care of one another. She has been a constant presence in my life from the moment I was born and though we sometimes had our issues, we loved each other very much even though we didn't always show it. She was diagnosed with lung cancer back in May and at 9:45pm last night, she lost that battle.

We were always a very Disney-centric family. Disney cartoons were always playing at our house when I was young. We visited Disney World often (my mom had hoped to be able to see the new Star Wars theme park before she died, but alas covid happened and made it impossible). I always wanted to grow up to be a Disney animator, making the same kind of beautiful animated movies Disney used to make in the 40's through the 90's. My sister works with the Walt Disney company and our entire living room and kitchen are decorated in Disney paraphernalia.

One of her favorite movies was the 1964 Disney classic, Mary Poppins. Last night, we watched Mary Poppins together for the very last time. I didn't know it was going to be her last night on Earth, but the timing was appropriate. She laid in her bed, unable to move or speak, watching the movie with me and several other members of my family. I don't know if she was able to comprehend what was happening around her, she had been unable to communicate for two days leading up to her passing. The ending of that film always made me feel a bit sad. The way Mary Poppins leaves the Banks family behind, floating off into the sky without saying goodbye having fulfilled her sense of duty, to the rousing, upbeat chorus of the Sherman Brothers' "Let's Go Fly a Kite". My mother stopped breathing at the very end of the movie while the song played over the end credits.

In many ways, I thought my mom was like Mary Poppins. Very serious most of the time, very dutiful. But always with a sense of understanding and caring. I sometimes wondered what Mary Poppins was. Maybe an alien or perhaps a witch of some sort. But I like to think of her as a guardian angel sent from heaven to protect the Banks family. I have no doubt my mother was my guardian angel, and she's now floating back to heaven, just like Mary Poppins at the end of the film.

I love you, mom. I'm sorry I didn't say it nearly enough.

2WohhV6.jpg
Condolences OP. Remember that an spoonful of sugar will help the medicine go down.

stressboy

Oct 25, 2017
My dad is still a contact on my phone even though he passed 7 years ago. Can't bring myself to remove him.

My mom and I are not close.

Condolences OP, it sucks.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
My condolences, Retro. I can't imagine the pain you must feel in these already difficult times. Sending you all the love.

Oct 29, 2017
My condolences to you and your family. Passing away with that much peace and love around you is a blessing though.

Jul 24, 2020
Nothing one can really say. But thank you OP for sharing and reminding us all the importance of appreciating good kind people like your mother appears to be.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
I'm sorry for your loss. She was able to spend her final day on earth with the person she loved and her favorite movie.

R.I.P

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for your loss. I hope you can appreciate the times you did spend with her, and reflect on that with love and compassion to yourself and her.

Slair

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry. I lost my mum to lung cancer as well. It was 7 years ago this month. The circumstances you described are almost as it happened with my mums passing.

I would say it gets easier and all that but you just get used to it. There are still times when it all comes back like it just happened the other day and I still dream about her every now and then.

I had a baby with my girlfriend during this pandemic and I wish my mum had lived long enough to see her granddaughter.

Thinking of you and your family!

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very sorry for your loss Retro.

It sounds like your mother left you with decades of wonderful memories and an example of how to live a life of quiet strength and dignity. Whenever you feel the pain of her loss, I hope the memories of all the good times you shared will be there to support you.