• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
One Piece seriously? Lol, they adapt about one chapter per episode, it is as by the book as you can get
I didnt watch any scene from Fire Force tho to opinate
I'm not talking about how many chapters they adapt in an episode or the content, but how they present. Sure One Piece isn't perfect, but when they adapt from the manga they at least try to differentiate from it. Anyway it's difficult to compare a long running show to a seasonal one, and I don't want to derail the thread and go to deep into it. I just wanted them to do something more interesting this episode, but instead they played more safe.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about how many chapters they adapt in an episode or the content, but how they present. Sure One Piece isn't perfect, but when they adapt from the manga they at least try to differentiate from it. Anyway it's difficult to compare a long running show to a seasonal one, and I don't want to derail the thread and go to deep into it. I just wanted them to do something more interesting this episode, but instead they played more safe.
eh... i really dont follow
OP anime is like a really slow adaptation and it is even a big meme because of how padded it is.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The anime still looks as flat as ever... Even all the scenes with AfO just looks so dull. (He does have a good theme tho)

At least we get some Keeping up with the Todorokis, that's always a good time.

Also wasn't expecting that kind of voice for AfO's brother.

As for the OP/ED, the opening kinda sucks, but the ED is really good, loved the song choice in particular.

Well... time for the new arc.

Yea Wano's been really top tier in terms of direction for quite awhile now. Episode 957 in particular was godlike top to bottom

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The anime still looks as flat as ever... Even all the scenes with AfO just looks so dull. (He does have a good theme tho)

At least we get some Keeping up with the Todorokis, that's always a good time.

Also wasn't expecting that kind of voice for AfO's brother.

As for the OP/ED, the opening kinda sucks, but the ED is really good, loved the song choice in particular.

Well... time for the new arc.

Yea Wano's been really top tier in terms of direction for quite awhile now. Episode 957 in particular was godlike top to bottom
eh... it is good for what OP is used to, but not much beyond that

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I think I am falling off the bandwagon. Last season was mediocre and this one isn't off to a good start. The flat animation is really disappointing coming of Jujutsu or even Attack on Titan which looked beautiful most of the time.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I think I am falling off the bandwagon. Last season was mediocre and this one isn't off to a good start. The flat animation is really disappointing coming of Jujutsu or even Attack on Titan which looked beautiful most of the time.
As a manga reader, this has been bothering me too tbh, especially coming off Jujutsu Kaisen. The manga has some really fantastic art, and I have a hard time believing that it'll be done justice, at one particular point we'll reach this season

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
All For One's theme song is definitely top five villain themes.

Are we talking about the piano song with the distorted opera vocals? Cuz if so I agree. It's incredibly sinister. In fact it might be TOO sinister for a show about a bunch of kids in high school with a perverted grapehead in a diaper as one of the kids but it works lol.

Im wondering if AFO will be saved for AFTER the academia portion of this storyline and the main villain will be Shigaraki for this show specifically.
(People are assuming they're going to continue the story like Shippuden right?)

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone help refresh my memory or point me to the episode where they talk about OfA's origin and relation to AfO? Didn't want to google and possibly hit spoilers. Was it a power the older brother planted into the younger or did the younger always have his quirk, but it was undetected because it doesn't really do anything in the first host?

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone help refresh my memory or point me to the episode where they talk about OfA's origin and relation to AfO? Didn't want to google and possibly hit spoilers. Was it a power the older brother planted into the younger or did the younger always have his quirk, but it was undetected because it doesn't really do anything in the first host?
Episode 33

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This episode was mostly talk, i dunno what you are talking about
also if you compare everything to jujutsu then you end pretty much watching nothing else because its animation isnt really comparable
Like what do you even mean by flat animation?
As a manga reader, this has been bothering me too tbh, especially coming off Jujutsu Kaisen. The manga has some really fantastic art, and I have a hard time believing that it'll be done justice, at one particular point we'll reach this season
Like I can understand your point, but MHA pretty much has the best art in jump right now, and one the best art in current manga, it is really difficult to animate because of that
Pick dabi for example, he is so detailed that it is hard to animate. Hawks is also another character that would be hard
I dunno, I think the episode did a good job with both, they both looked better than in s4, and it wasn't even an action episode.
Of course I would want every episode to have top tier animation but I think it is impossible in the current landscape without killing the crew. Also from the trailer we know the big moments of this arc will have well animated moments so I am not scared

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
MHA's animation is really holding it back compared to some of its big-name shonen peers lately, yeah. JJK and Demon Slayer stick out as just being so much better looking. Art, framing, animation, whole 9 yards. It really is a shame, because I think that in the source material, MHA is easily one of (if not the) best looking books in Jump. It's just not getting the adaptation quality it deserves.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MHA's animation is really holding it back compared to some of its big-name shonen peers lately, yeah. JJK and Demon Slayer stick out as just being so much better looking. Art, framing, animation, whole 9 yards. It really is a shame, because I think that in the source material, MHA is easily one of (if not the) best looking books in Jump. It's just not getting the adaptation quality it deserves.
I disagree it is much better looking, like the big action moments in MH surpass Demon Slayer for me
In its big moments MHA can definitely compete with these two, it is just they dont always go all out.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
We need to be careful when criticising animation. Because many animators are working themselves to death for 200$. Not every anime needs to look like DS or JJK.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
I think the bigger problem with HeroAca is not the key animation, but the actual direction/storyboarding. It's all very flat and unambitious.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We need to be careful when criticising animation. Because many animators are working themselves to death for 200$. Not every anime needs to look like DS or JJK.
The thing is, if you look at a lot of JJK's smaller-but-still-great moments, they're actually really cleverly constructed to save on detail while still being really expressive. Yuji fighting those three transformed humans on the roof of the school is an example that'll always stick with me, because it was just so smooth, but they did it by pulling the camera way, way out so the actual forms are super low-detail and easier to animate. That's a direction thing.

Obviously, if what it takes is poor working conditions, it's not worth it. But I think there's room to give it a poke when they're clearly not delivering.
I think the bigger problem with HeroAca is not the key animation, but the actual direction/storyboarding. It's all very flat and unambitious.
Right, this. It doesn't have to be All Sakuga All The Time, but there's really not a lot of effort being made to try and get it to look interesting from a directorial perspective. And when the manga goes out of its way to have these moments of incredibly cool paneling and framing, it's just a shame to see the anime drop the ball.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, if you look at a lot of JJK's smaller-but-still-great moments, they're actually really cleverly constructed to save on detail while still being really expressive. Yuji fighting those three transformed humans on the roof of the school is an example that'll always stick with me, because it was just so smooth, but they did it by pulling the camera way, way out so the actual forms are super low-detail and easier to animate. That's a direction thing.

Obviously, if what it takes is poor working conditions, it's not worth it. But I think there's room to give it a poke when they're clearly not delivering.

Right, this. It doesn't have to be All Sakuga All The Time, but there's really not a lot of effort being made to try and get it to look interesting from a directorial perspective. And when the manga goes out of its way to have these moments of incredibly cool paneling and framing, it's just a shame to see the anime drop the ball.

This episode had good direction tho, hell S4 had a lot of well directed moments but I feel people just ignore it to criticize x or y moment that they didnt like.
Also I dont think it is nice to claim there isnt much effort being made when this episode was very hard to direct
It had to adapt 3 chapters that is very difficult. It also has many hard moment to deliver because of how delicate the whole todoroki drama is. Sure the episode was a bit too fast, but it managed to deliver the important moments very well.
For example, the AFO sequence was really well directed, people already talked about the use of the AFO ost, but I also liked how they delivered the vibe of a dreamlike world that vestiges world are suposed to give. It is eerie and menacing, we as watchers feel like the Deku is supposed to be

And again if MHA feel flat and unambitious, what about 90% of anime? Even favorites like Re zero and Kaguya sama have moments like you described. It really is just exceptions like Jujutsu that go all out at all moments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Yeah they could be putting in more of an effort, but it honestly wasn't something I started to notice until last season. I think it might be too early to judge this season as a whole, because the trailers we got did feature some sick animation. Could be possible they are just saving the budget

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

The director who took over for S4 and is currently overseeing S5 said in an interview he really struggled with the storyboarding for the Overhaul Arc, and it showed.

We'll see how this season pans out but nothing i've seen from the trailers or from this latest episode has impressed me so far (quite the opposite tbh).

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The director who took over for S4 and is currently overseeing S5 said in an interview he really struggled with the storyboarding for the Overhaul Arc, and it showed.

We'll see how this season pans out but nothing i've seen from the trailers or from this latest episode has impressed me so far (quite the opposite tbh).
how you can judge storyboard from a trailer that only shows action moments, and all of them well animated?

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
how you can judge storyboard from a trailer that only shows action moments, and all of them well animated?
I am sorry but I feel you are being awfully defensive of the series for some reason. What I meant by my earlier posts has been echoed by others, but mostly it's just really not ambitious at all. Feels like just getting by with the bare minimum work. (Quick edit: not using the lazy rethoric here at all! It just feels like the studio doesn't want to work in the series is what I meant.) It's hard to put it in words but it doesn't feel...exiciting? Hell even One Piece has been pulling all stops in key moments, I am not seeing that in MHA anymore. Season 4 was awful and this one is not to a good start. Episode 1 was horrible, episode 2 was decent at least but I feel they are having issues directing the episodes overall.

The thing is, I feel the anime medium has been pushed ahead by Demon Slayer and Jujutsu and they've become the standard of excellence, at least animation-wise. All of this is subjective and my opinion of course, but I feel that their efforts have pushed other series like One Piece ahead. Wano is very good animation wise. So,seeing MHA fall behind is disappointing seeing it has so much potential.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
So, AFO's brother is the first OFA user, but AFO stole the power from somebody else?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So, AFO's brother is the first OFA user, but AFO stole the power from somebody else?
AFO gave his brother a Quirk that could stockpile strength, unaware that is brother actually did have a Quirk: the ability to transfer his Quirk to someone else.

The two Quirk's fused, creating OFA.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry but I feel you are being awfully defensive of the series for some reason. What I meant by my earlier posts has been echoed by others, but mostly it's just really not ambitious at all. Feels like just getting by with the bare minimum work. (Quick edit: not using the lazy rethoric here at all! It just feels like the studio doesn't want to work in the series is what I meant.) It's hard to put it in words but it doesn't feel...exiciting? Hell even One Piece has been pulling all stops in key moments, I am not seeing that in MHA anymore. Season 4 was awful and this one is not to a good start. Episode 1 was horrible, episode 2 was decent at least but I feel they are having issues directing the episodes overall.

The thing is, I feel the anime medium has been pushed ahead by Demon Slayer and Jujutsu and they've become the standard of excellence, at least animation-wise. All of this is subjective and my opinion of course, but I feel that their efforts have pushed other series like One Piece ahead. Wano is very good animation wise. So,seeing MHA fall behind is disappointing seeing it has so much potential.
No I just feel anime fans have been really awful about they way they view anime recently. Just look at how AoT fans are acting with Mappa, and AoT has been mostly superb
I am just fearful that this will devolve in the lazy animator rhetoric.
Also MHA had probably the best action episode of last year, so I really disagree with your notion that bones didnt pull all stops in key moments
Again Jujutus and DS are the exception and not the norm, and in key moments MHA can compete or surpass them like in the Endeavor fights
And I completely disagree about OP, it has its great moments but its great flaws are still present

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly enough, the animation is not my worry here. The Endeavor fam conversation sounded... oddly light until the second half.

The direction of it made it seem like it's just not that serious.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly enough, the animation is not my worry here. The Endeavor fam conversation sounded... oddly light until the second half.

The direction of it made it seem like it's just not that serious.
I think it was the subs, they sounded weird from what I remember reading from the Viz translation

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I think the subs butchered was the meme name of Endeavor's fanboy

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Idk I think My Hero Academia has striking animation at its biggest moments. Deku infinite 100% had some awesome moments (despite a terrible previous 90% of the arc).

Deku v Bakugo and Deku v Todoroki have both stunning moments and very ambitious animation that for me personally FAR surpass JJK's best moments. Think we're being a little harsh on Studio Bones because they definitely have showed their prowess.

JJK's dialogue scenes are also flat so I don't get that complaint. Maybe they're improved from the manga, but once again other than AoT and Vinland Saga I've never been impressed by dialogue heavy episodes of recent animes.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
No I just feel anime fans have been really awful about they way they view anime recently. Just look at how AoT fans are acting with Mappa, and AoT has been mostly superb
I am just fearful that this will devolve in the lazy animator rhetoric.
Also MHA had probably the best action episode of last year, so I really disagree with your notion that bones didnt pull all stops in key moments
Again Jujutus and DS are the exception and not the norm, and in key moments MHA can compete or surpass them like in the Endeavor fights
And I completely disagree about OP, it has its great moments but its great flaws are still present

I think it's alright for people to rightfully call out problems in the medium (not to add how shitty animators are treated). As I've stated before, this is all subjective, but anime quality has been declining. Thankfully it seems we are well past the shitty moe face and moving on to new, exciting things. I feel since Demon Slayer things have picked up and I am seeing casual anime fans come back with these series, and I am really glad about that. I felt the same when MHA anime started; it was exciting and really well done especially compared with the crap we were enduring that time. I am not saying Demon Slayer or Jujutsu are the best thing out there, far from it, but they are breaking new ground in all senses and I hope that newer anime are going to follow this trend. Specifically adopting seasons for long running series.

Back to MHA, having one good episode (which was awesome!) doesn't make up for the rest. Especially compared with other current series that maintain a sustained level of quality. It's definitely under what it should be, either be it fault if the new director or Bones trying to milk the series with additional movies and running animation time thin. I just feel like they could be handling the series better than they are now. I can't expect everyone to be Ufotable or, apparently, MAPPA, these days, but I used to love MHA and seeing it so lifeless in a way is disappointing. That's all I am saying. I repeat...my opinion.I'll be critical of the series and enjoy the good moments when they undoubtedly come, but the feeling of being underwhelmed will be there I expect. Adding an anecdote, my fiancée, who's a casual anime watcher, also noted how"flat" things look in MHA, especially when we were coming off Jujutsu Kaisen at the time. So it's not only me, and seeing other posts here more people share similar thoughts.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming Deku is going to receive a power up soon?
The biggest gripe I have with the show is the story is just meh for me.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

Endeavor looks like he's about to square up on everyone in this room

Speaking of the anime's directing direction, this season will provide for them to do a lot of interesting things directorially but we'll just have to see if they take advantage of it when the time comes.

Last edited:

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
The only time MHA will ever come close to the manga will be the movies. The schedule wouldn't allow it, and the movies took away the director for the first 3(?) seasons. But I think it still looks solid nevertheless. Bones never really disappoints in that regard.

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
The only time MHA will ever come close to the manga will be the movies. The schedule wouldn't allow it, and the movies took away the director for the first 3(?) seasons. But I think it still looks solid nevertheless. Bones never really disappoints in that regard.
Season 2 is the closest the show has ever gotten. You could argue Deku vs Shoto and Stain vs. Iida, Deku, and Shoto were better fights than they were in the manga

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Season 2 is the closest the show has ever gotten. You could argue Deku vs Shoto and Stain vs. Iida, Deku, and Shoto were better fights than they were in the manga
Sure, but the bar has also raised much higher in the manga. The current quality of the art and fights are on another level compared to back then. It's pretty damn hard to do the manga complete justice these days

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the main source of people's issues here. But considering how much money (especially overseas) the 2nd movie made, we're probably getting yearly movies for the rest of the series.

My greatest wish would be for them to take a year break from movies next year and bring the season 1-3 director back for season 6. That's the season I'm anticipating, not this one.

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Sure, but the bar has also raised much higher in the manga. The current quality of the art and fights are on another level compared to back then. It's pretty damn hard to do the manga complete justice these days
I would agree the bar has been raised but Bones can still reach that bar. Endeavor vs High End Nomu in the anime was incredible.

On the whole I feel like the show is still an above average adaptation, but last season was average animation wise for most of its run and all these other great series like Demon Slayer and JJK have come out which just compounds the problem. It's still too early in the season for me to say they can't do the manga justice anymore. Just gotta see if they can better manage this season than the last

It would also help if they stopped making movies every Gaara blasted season

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So not to sound like a total noob.

But how long until the dubs are available on Funimation? I watched this show on covid lockdown and I can't get used to watching it with subtitles now.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
yep
and season 5 will be much easier to adapt than season 6, season 6 will be hell, I saw one of Bones animators admitting he has no idead how they will be able to keep up with what the author is doing

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So not to sound like a total noob.

But how long until the dubs are available on Funimation? I watched this show on covid lockdown and I can't get used to watching it with subtitles now.
Hopefully very soon. I'm in the same boat as you. I started watching the series from the very start with the dubs and I cannot watch the subversion for anything.

The voice acting for the dubbed version is just too damn good.