Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Straight fire.

Only volume I'm missing. Hopefully soon.

I will post my updated MHA volume collection + Vigilantes once I finish remodeling my room.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
First and last one are bangers, alexi.

While it sucks Lady Nagant got blown up, I'm glad it backfired for Deku.

Muscular was never gonna change his ways, Horikoshi even stated that way back in 2018:

Interviewer: Speaking of BNHA villains, within their beliefs lies some twisted aesthetics, and they completely oppose the Hero's Association and leaves an impression of constant conflict.

Horikoshi: Yes, that's right. There are many different types of villains. For example you have the Villain Stain who has his own firm beliefs, you have villains who are utterly not capable of being saved, you also have those who have no choice but to be a villain– there are a lot of different types of villains.

Interviewer: "Villains who are not capable of being saved." Is there anyone in the BNHA world who's like that?

Horikoshi: I think if I answer that question, it will be a huge spoiler, but characters like Muscular who find great happiness in killing others would fit this category. If there comes a story about a villain being saved, then I feel like there needs to be a reward for that.

Interviewer: "A villain that should be saved." Would Shigaraki Tomura apply to this category?

Horikoshi: Yes, I think so. I think that we have gotten to the point where Shigaraki can no longer turn back though. How should I put this, if I say more, I feel like it'll dampen your imagination, so I won't explain in detail. All I can say is that I hope you look forward to the expansion of the story from here on out.

So Nagant's grey morality is a nice change. Shiggy won't be saved but little Tenko, his soul, might be saved before dying.

But now just like last week, we got mutiple options for 316:

Will she die and serve only as a character growth for Deku?

Live but severely crippled?

Live but takes time to fully heal so outta commission?

Live and join immediately?

And there is the whole Chisaki thing.

And I need Hawks on the ground. Dabi is taking Ls everyday lol.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
They had an MHA volume in a cart at Walmart today when I was buying a game and I went to look in their book section but no dice. I live in a place where I have to travel 50 minutes to find a place that sells current manga. I prefer not to buy online because I'm a lit major and so I kinda want to support in-person bookstores and when I'm there I tend to buy other novels/anthologies. We have a comic book store which weirdly enough has a large selection of comics and some manga, but the manga section seems stuck ten years ago with Death Note and Soul Eater lmao (no shade I own both entirely physically). Guess I'm stuck driving for that new volume.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Minor side ramble, but one point I've seen commonly raised that's used to justify Nagant's potential death is that the series should have to teach Deku a hard lesson about not being able to save everyone, and I feel like that's a bit of a weak hook to use for Nagant of all people.

For starters, even though Nagant has an extremely compelling backstory that's hooked us, the audience, I kind of feel like the character is just straight up too new to be the vector for Deku to do this; a character who we've known for 300 chapters. Not counting the prison break, she's effectively been in the purview of the protagonist for 4, arguably 5 chapters. That's a very short timeframe to introduce a character who's existence would basically boil down to making a cynical point about futility.

Secondly, the notion of Deku not being able to save everyone has been simultaneously foreshadowed, and has already happened in the story. To a lesser shallow extent it already did this via Muscular, but at a deeper level, the Shie Hassaikai arc's central theme is all about whether or not heroes are able to save everyone. Mirio is introduced as a person with the ambitions to save a million people, with his story at the time ultimately concluding with only getting to save one. Deku and the heroes put their life on the line to save one girl, and in the crossfire, they fail to save Nighteye. Nighteye himself even put an expiration date on All Might, who's death flags continue to accumulate to this very day, and as recently as this arc got a call back to the time he made the decision to waylay any sense of relaxation because of his belief that there were people who still needed saving. Deku has made a promise that he's not going to let All Might die, and I think the question of whether or not he can save everyone is going to mainly be invoked via him.

I think Nagant may forward the discussion, but I don't think you need a permanent cadaver for that to happen. If she survives this, I think Deku's already got a permanent image of a lifeless body burned into his head, so the trauma wouldn't necessarily be absent just because she continues to live. The potentiality at this juncture can end up having an equal level of impact than the eventuality.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion

WOAH.

This is so cool.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing she wouldn't be permanently benched since they've got Eri on standby, and her quirk is just too conveniently good to have against Decay. Definitely going to be on time out for now though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If Deku has to fail to save someone, it should be a classmate who's killed by the UA traitor. I doubt Horikoshi would do that though.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I know I've complained about this before but there's no good damn reason to space these volumes 3 months apart. At all.

Volume 29 releases September 7th... when vol 28 was released last week.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I know I've complained about this before but there's no good damn reason to space these volumes 3 months apart. At all.

Volume 29 releases September 7th... when vol 28 was released last week.

I know it's a painful wait but their job isn't as easy as it looks like:

Takes time to redraw and stuff.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's a painful wait but their job isn't as easy as it looks like:

Takes time to redraw and stuff.

I used to scanlate back in the day. I'm familiar with the work it takes but Viz has shown they can release volumes quickly before. Hell, they released like ten volumes of Naruto in 4 months to catch up to Japan when it was really popular.

In my mind, their pace is deliberate, and it's killing me.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I probably will stop watching and wait for most of the MVA arc to be over before I start watching it again with the internship one. Absolutely despise the MVA arc. Especially now that Shigaraki is a jobber with AFO controlling him. Makes the arc even more pointless to me personally. Just the villains pulling power upgrades out of their asses.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I probably will stop watching and wait for most of the MVA arc to be over before I start watching it again with the internship one. Absolutely despise the MVA arc. Especially now that Shigaraki is a jobber with AFO controlling him. Makes the arc even more pointless to me personally. Just the villains pulling power upgrades out of their asses.
I seriously doubt it's going to stay that way for Shigaraki, and I've seriously never got the power up argument against this arc, every arc there's a character getting a power up, this is a shonen and Class A literally got a bunch of power ups before MVA

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Do people really think AFO is the endgame here and not Shigaraki? AFO is obviously an obstacle for Shigaraki to overcome lol

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Do people really think AFO is the endgame here and not Shigaraki? AFO is obviously an obstacle for Shigaraki to overcome lol
That's what I thought at first too but honestly Hori has been positioning Shiggy as more of a tragic figure that could maybe(?) be saved whereas AfO is still the irredeemable evil ever since AfO reasserted control

So who knows which one will actually be in control during the final battle

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I thought at first too but honestly Hori has been positioning Shiggy as more of a tragic figure that could maybe(?) be saved whereas AfO is still the irredeemable evil ever since AfO reasserted control

He can still be a tragic figure and still be a villain. I just don't see AFO being the one in control by the end of the series.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I seriously doubt it's going to stay that way for Shigaraki, and I've seriously never got the power up argument against this arc, every arc there's a character getting a power up, this is a shonen and Class A literally got a bunch of power ups before MVA

Bakugo got a quirk awakening (I think) with hole in his stomach. We haven't seen the villains in ages, they deserved the powerups as much as the heroes.

Twice powers still suck. Glad Hawks buried his ass.

Little Tenko, or his soul, sure. But Shiggy is a lost cause.

Interviewer: "A villain that should be saved." Would Shigaraki Tomura apply to this category?

Horikoshi: Yes, I think so. I think that we have gotten to the point where Shigaraki can no longer turn back though.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
He can still be a tragic figure and still be a villain. I just don't see AFO being the one in control by the end of the series.
AfO has been manipulating Shiggy since they met, would not be surprised if he never intended for him to actually take over. AfO is more of a big bad than Shiggy is capable of being imo. He can still be a tragic figure and a villain, never said he couldn't.
Little Tenko, or his soul, sure. But Shiggy is a lost cause.
If Shiggy was a lost cause Deku wouldn't have sensed he needed saving. You can't separate Tenko from Shigaraki because Shiggy was born from Tenko. I'm not saying I'm happy about it, but I absolutely could see a scenario where AfO keeps control and Shiggy has to fight him on the inside while Deku fights him on the outside. He'd still die when AfO perished, thus gaining some manor of redemption while paying for being evil.

It is possible Shiggy reasserts control, but AfO just seems like he plans too far ahead

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
AFO totally intends to take over his body. I just don't think Shiggy is just gonna go along with that, and he's going to eventually overcome him. Shiggy will be the final villain (tragic figure or not), not AFO.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
He was literally too good for this manga 😭, Horikoshi couldn't just have everyone else step up

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
AfO has been manipulating Shiggy since they met, would not be surprised if he never intended for him to actually take over. AfO is more of a big bad than Shiggy is capable of being imo. He can still be a tragic figure and a villain, never said he couldn't.

If Shiggy was a lost cause Deku wouldn't have sensed he needed saving. You can't separate Tenko from Shigaraki because Shiggy was born from Tenko. I'm not saying I'm happy about it, but I absolutely could see a scenario where AfO keeps control and Shiggy has to fight him on the inside while Deku fights him on the outside. He'd still die when AfO perished, thus gaining some manor of redemption while paying for being evil.

It is possible Shiggy reasserts control, but AfO just seems like he plans too far ahead

I'm fine with that. A bit cheesy but whole Hero themes are cheesy by default anyway.

As long it's not a full on redemption, I'm cool with it.

Good riddance.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Like the Nagant conversation, it's tiring. Shonen involves lots of power ups, betrayals, friendships, unrealistic wounds, and normally the MC gets the best abilities. The power creep in MHA is totally normal within shonen standards and normal within the series itself.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
At least he will die a hero, unlike that bum.
Twice died saving his friends Compress and Toga, Compress allowed the League to escape, Twice was an MVP till the end 👏

League ain't going to let what he slide, it definitely ain't going to be a heroic sacrifice when its him that they'r going to be gunning for
Admit it, you want him dead because he killed Twice xD
Just half the reason, the other half is the same reason I want GT and All Might to die, when characters that should die show a clear sign of plot armor the quality goes done, the PLW arc went down a rank for me because the deaths felt one sided on the enemies side

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only adult heroes who haven't planted death flags are the ones who are already dead.
Mirko had an anti-death flag.

Boasting how she's gonna fight to the end because death doesn't scare her even after a torn off limb is how you basically say nah she's not gonna die.

Though I remember when people were convinced she wasn't gonna make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.