• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I thought that too when I started the series. The lack of "cool" or even normal looking characters is probably why it isn't as popular as stuff like naruto in the west.
But you start getting used to, and even appreciating the weird & exaggerated designs of the series.

Ehh, thats a cherry picked scene

The early parts of the series was just inconsistent in general. but the idea that the female designs being exaggerated was a post-timeskip thing is just some bad recency bias.

Alvida for instance is one of the earliest female characters of the series.
O9r6hHm.png

ZHwqUIN.png

and this is from alabasta, the 2nd "big" arc. (approx 70 episodes, which is only less than 10% of the series)

I don't want to get into that topic too much but Alvida I find especially interesting because I remember her original design and the explanation as to why she suddenly looks sexy. They even made that transformation part of an episode or two where Luffy didn't remember her because she looked completely different. Maybe Alvida is the character that exemplifies the point in time where they decided they would go with sexy for most of their female characters in the future and later they looked at Nami and thought they needed to update her design too because Nami was invented before that. Just speculation of course.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen like one episode of One Piece but I've sometimes wondered how the hell the series got so popular based on screenshots and ads I've seen. Not just the female characters, but both. Maybe the character designs are meant to be satire or something? I dunno. I just look at them and cringe.
I, too, am shocked a series about fighting oppression is popular.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't even associate Oda with otaku culture. I mean this is the same man that regularly holds parties with the VAs of the anime as well as famous fans of One Piece and that's included in his tight schedule (he regularly spends 14 hours a day or more writing and drawing One Piece). Oda loves socializing with people and his stories are very loving towards other people and cultures.

Despite all of this he still has flaws as a manga-ka and his female sexualization is one of them.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I wouldn't even associate Oda with otaku culture. I mean this is the same man that regularly holds parties with the VAs of the anime as well as famous fans of One Piece and that's included in his tight schedule (he regularly spends 14 hours a day or more writing and drawing One Piece). Oda loves socializing with people and his stories are very loving towards other people and cultures.

Despite all of this he still has flaws as a manga-ka and his female sexualization is one of them.

Yeah, One Piece is just in its own tier of greatness. I actually think it's fairly progressive for Japanese work, but I also won't defend how transphobic or sexist it can be at times. For every step forward it makes in LGBT representation and acceptance it takes one step back as well. Sanji's timeskip home will always be a huge blemish on the series for me and I hope in the future if OP ever gets a DBZ Kai treatment they rewrite that whole section.

At its core, though it's about challenging the status quo, fighting oppression, treating everyone equally, standing back up every time you fall and doing what's right/morale in your heart regardless of what people tell you or what the laws say. A lesson that I think the gaming community can strongly benefit from. The Ally defenders come to mind in regards to the Smash Ultimate Ally/Zack drama. I don't care if 16 is "legal" in Canada, what Ally did as a 26/27 year old was wrong. Legal loopholes or legal gray areas don't make it okay/acceptable. etc

HOWEVER, if the poor taste and poor depiction of women keep you from seeing this amazing work and soul that rests in One Piece. I 100% GET IT. I'm not gonna defend it. It SUCKS. I wish it didn't have those issues, but I think the moral good found within the stories of One Piece outweighs the bad for me personally. When I look at this work compared to anything else, One Piece is far and away a superior story. But if people can't see that because of GIANT BOOBS. I get it, it sucks. Oda should have done a better job.

I wish people wouldn't defend it and just ask for better work to be done.

One Piece is literally the GOAT and not everyone can experience this because of said issues. It's not their fault. It's Oda's.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Well one reason why I never got into One Piece is because of its art style. I keep reading and hearing about how it's worth my time to go through it all. I just really don't want to. Maybe I'll like it I actually try. I've seen the first few episodes a few times just to try it out, it just doesn't do anything to me.

I'm glad that the fan of the series still seem to enjoy the only remaining "Big 3" since the other two started getting mixed reviews near their end.