• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Why are so many people questioning the locking from the inside? Every main building door here has a lock part inside the house as these types of doors are easier to brake through if they are not double locked (its hard with only the normal close of the door, but twisting the key again just makes it harder), and I know some people sleep better when they lock their homes from the inside, even when theres really no danger (not my case, but I know my sister does, which drives me crazy some mornings when I just try to open the door normaly).
The thing is, everyone has a pot or plate with the keys in the entrance.

Is that not the same in america?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Why are so many people questioning the locking from the inside? Every main building door here has a lock part inside the house as these types of doors are easier to brake through if they are not double locked (its hard with only the normal close of the door, but twisting the key again just makes it harder), and I know some people sleep better when they lock their homes from the inside, even when theres really no danger (not my case, but I know my sister does, which drives me crazy some mornings when I just try to open the door normaly).
The thing is, everyone has a pot or plate with the keys in the entrance.

Is that not the same in america?
Dead bolts that require a key on both sides are common in America too, yes. More common on houses and condos (the standard) than apartments, however. Typically in apartments a key is only required on the outside, with a knob mechanism on the inside for convenience.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Dead bolts that require a key on both sides are common in America too, yes. More common on houses and condos (the standard) than apartments, however (typically a key is only required on the outside, with a knob mechanism on the inside).
Here in apartments is also the norm.
So its not as strange as some people here suggest then in america either.

Next some users here will ask for the OP's friend to take a photo of his door to corroborate his story, people in this thread are going hard with the victim blaming, and if all this that is happening is true, big shame on them.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I also don't get what's so weird about the door, how else would you lock it if not from inside? You would just go to sleep and leave the door open?

Edit: Oh yeah, I remember now we already have this discussion here lol

Ninja Kn1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I also don't get what's so weird about the door, how else would you lock it if not from inside? You would just go to sleep and leave the door open?

Edit: Oh yeah, I remember now we already have this discussion here lol

My doors can be locked from inside but they don't use a key for that.

Real talk though, if this story is true your friend needs to get out of there ASAP this sounds like a very unhealthy and possibly dangerous situation to me.

Last edited:

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Run!! Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!!

As for the door lock thing, I've owned 3 houses...and lived in 5.

Not a single one had dead-bolts or door knobs you can lock from the inside with a key. You locked them with a turning lock.

(Door knob)

toledo-fine-locks-privacy-door-knobs-cv1920avus5-64_1000.jpg

Right side of the picture below is what the inside lock looked like (in general) every time.

(left side is outside with key)

8244-150-c1

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Run!! Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!!

As for the door lock thing, I've owned 3 houses...and lived in 5.

Not a single one had dead-bolts or door knobs you can lock from the inside with a key. You locked them with a turning lock.

(Door knob)

toledo-fine-locks-privacy-door-knobs-cv1920avus5-64_1000.jpg

Right side of the picture below is what the inside lock looked like (in general) every time.

(left side is outside with key)

8244-150-c1
Yea, this is common in apartments especially.

But I've never lived in a home or condo that had anything but proper dead bolts with a key required on both sides.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My friend said he had a speech prepared but after a few moments of silence he forgot the speech and blarted out that the wanted to break up. At this point the gf made a smile or a chuckle of some sort and said NO, she immediately followed it up with how was your day. My friend was left speechless and tried to bring up the breakup again but she wasn't interested and he kept persisting until she slammed the forks and table knife into the table tells him no again.
Maura.gif

Mar 29, 2018
Holy shit that's wild. Bordering on crime. This woman sounds unhinged. She needs to get help, your friend needs to tell her this and break up with her (but support her as much as he can).

This update was hard to write trying to remember all of those little things be said, while writing this I realized I need to get a life.

Also fantastic and apt ending to the post

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wait, so she brought up the cheating, not him? I'm surprised she didn't tell him to cut that off immediately while he was a captive audience, or if she's ok with it as long as he comes back to her.

If true (and that is a really big if), if he cares about her at all and it's not just fear, they should at the very least do some kind of counseling because there's no way this is going to end well at all. Presumably he's not chained up in another room calmly texting OP these updates.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
These updates sound like pure fantasy at this point, either on the OP or friend's part.

Is it impossible? I mean, the girlfriend faked a pregnancy to keep the friend in the relationship. She doesn't sound great. Don't know why you would assume OP is lying about that.

Other girl seems like good people considering her immediate reaction to finding out. Both OP's friend and his girlfriend have issues and the other girl will be lucky to be out of their drama. Doesn't have to be one "bad guy" in this story.

Yes, if that's true, it very much sounds like neither of them are remotely mature enough for a relationship.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Damn. I hope your friends get out of that relationship and that the girlfriend gets the help and emotional support she clearly needs as well.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll sum up all the updates before this one, my friend told the other woman everything and she dumped him, he went home with the intention of confronting the gf.

He gets home and finds her there, she has prepared a nice dinner, the romantic kind. She was apparently dressed nice even wearing lipstick (She hates wearing lipstick). My friend tries to speak but she keeps interrupting and telling him to sit down. He sits down and she brings food from the kitchen to the table and sits down and he tries to tell her we need to talk and she asked him about what. My friend said he had a speech prepared but after a few moments of silence he forgot the speech and blarted out that the wanted to break up. At this point the gf made a smile or a chuckle of some sort and said NO, she immediately followed it up with how was your day. My friend was left speechless and tried to bring up the breakup again but she wasn't interested and he kept persisting until she slammed the forks and table knife into the table tells him no again. He decides to get up and leave but when he gets to the door he finds it locked and his keys aren't at the counter where he normally leaves them.

He asked for his keys back but she refused and keeps telling him to sit down, he brings up the breakup and she became angry. She brought up the cheating said how much it hurt her, how he should have been begging for her forgiveness instead he's trying to cause her more pain. My friend says now her eyes became watery, he tries to apologise and she said she forgave him and was willing to make their relationship work and then she brought up the times he hurt and began begging and told him how she was hurting imside and mt friend says he started to overwhelmingly bad and she moved from her chair to his and begged him more, told him she won't live without him and kissed him and my friend folded and gave in and apologized for trying to breakup with her, saying he'll give it another shot. They had sex and when to bed (Am ashamed of my boy), she slept soundly but he didn't, he was think about what to do. She told him where she put the keys in the morning.

My friend still wants to breakup with her but doesn't know how to do it, she clearly won't accept it this time.

This update was hard to write trying to remember all of those little things be said, while writing this I realized I need to get a life.
This is literally

Like holy shit lol.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I never really thought about it until one of my threads was hijacked on this issue, but yes you are right.

If my girlfriend is out of the house and I wake up and shits on fire, if I can't find my key, I'm dead.

The father is reasonable and was even surprised my friend didn't breakup with the gf after the fake pregnancy and he's the only person in the world she actually listens too.

I'm a fan of not dying from being trapped in my own house in the event of a fire in the middle of the night

That is why he needs to call the police on her, or get her father involved to knock sense into her.

What she's doing is dangerous.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
You are criticizing the way he handled himself when he was being abused. That puts part of the blame of the abuse on him.
No i understand that but he shouldn't have cheated and he should have ended it. He's a spineless guy.
That she is fucking crazy is another matter. That's also true. There seems no reason for him to just walk out and end this.
Let's not make this into something more than it is.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Not really another matter as it seemingly feeds into his motivation for cheating and directly into his fear of breaking it off.

It's easy for you or me to say we'd break it off but we aren't in that situation.
Did she treaten to kill him or something? She just can't take "no" for an answer. She'll have to live and cope with that.

To be clear, i understand men can be terrified of women and abused by women just as women can be terrified of men.
But in this case he could just end it i think.

It does all sound a bit like that movie.. what's the name?... With Kathy Bates. Edit: Misery.
But it's not that bad yet. He just needs to stand up for himself and end it.

Last edited:

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
This is absolutely terrifying, OP I hope your friend is able to get out of there soon.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, this is common in apartments especially.

But I've never lived in a home or condo that had anything but proper dead bolts with a key required on both sides.

See, I've never seen that in any house, condo, etc... Maybe it varies by state. I don't think a home here would pass inspection with a design like that. Fire code and all. Especially since the only stated advantage is to prevent burglaries via smashing a window, which can be done to any window :P

I hope your boy wore a condom.

Yeah.....given the history here

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
No i understand that but he shouldn't have cheated and he should have ended it. He's a spineless guy.
That she is fucking crazy is another matter. That's also true. There seems no reason for him to just walk out and end this.

No one's excusing him for the cheating, but I'm sorry, she's lost sympathy for doing what she did by locking him inside of the apartment.

That is pure psycho level.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do you realize that you are victim blaming?
The only victim in this situation is the side gf.

The boyfriend lied to both the gf and side gf about each other so is a POS.
The main gf seems to be very unstable if we are to believe OP so isnt exactly a victim here.
The side gf is the only one that was apparently normal and wasnt aware of any wrong doing.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
You are not that person, and you havent been in the same situation.
Theres persons that commit suicide because of a big depression and persons that not, yet this victim blaming shit in this thread is getting out of hand because a lot of you think he needs to ware the pants and get the shit out as he has the power being the man of the relationship. And im sure a lot of you wouldnt say the same thibg if the roles were reversed.
Tell that to Terry Crews also.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Theres persons that commit suicide because of a big depression and persons that not, yet this victim blaming shit in this thread is getting out of hand because a lot of you think he needs to ware the pants and get the shit out as he has the power being the man of the relationship. And im sure a lot of you wouldnt say the same thibg if the roles were reversed.
Shall we stop being a dramaqueen and bring in a lot of stuff that A: isn't related and B: i never said. I don't think he should wear the pants. I think he should take responsibility for his own life and actions. I fully realize men can be abused. You're searching for stuff.

We don't even know if this story is true.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll sum up all the updates before this one, my friend told the other woman everything and she dumped him, he went home with the intention of confronting the gf.

He gets home and finds her there, she has prepared a nice dinner, the romantic kind. She was apparently dressed nice even wearing lipstick (She hates wearing lipstick). My friend tries to speak but she keeps interrupting and telling him to sit down. He sits down and she brings food from the kitchen to the table and sits down and he tries to tell her we need to talk and she asked him about what. My friend said he had a speech prepared but after a few moments of silence he forgot the speech and blarted out that the wanted to break up. At this point the gf made a smile or a chuckle of some sort and said NO, she immediately followed it up with how was your day. My friend was left speechless and tried to bring up the breakup again but she wasn't interested and he kept persisting until she slammed the forks and table knife into the table tells him no again. He decides to get up and leave but when he gets to the door he finds it locked and his keys aren't at the counter where he normally leaves them.

He asked for his keys back but she refused and keeps telling him to sit down, he brings up the breakup and she became angry. She brought up the cheating said how much it hurt her, how he should have been begging for her forgiveness instead he's trying to cause her more pain. My friend says now her eyes became watery, he tries to apologise and she said she forgave him and was willing to make their relationship work and then she brought up the times he hurt and began begging and told him how she was hurting imside and mt friend says he started to overwhelmingly bad and she moved from her chair to his and begged him more, told him she won't live without him and kissed him and my friend folded and gave in and apologized for trying to breakup with her, saying he'll give it another shot. They had sex and when to bed (Am ashamed of my boy), she slept soundly but he didn't, he was think about what to do. She told him where she put the keys in the morning.

My friend still wants to breakup with her but doesn't know how to do it, she clearly won't accept it this time.

Let us know when they find your friend buried under the floorboards and his girlfriend covered in blood doing a single person waltz around the living room.

Your friend's trapped in a Lifetime movie.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

I'm sorry, but she's lost sympathy for doing what she did by locking him inside of the apartment.

To be honest they sound codependent. They've broken up multiple times already and had various red flags when they were together (pregnancy fake, cheating, snooping, physical restraint) that would break up a normal relationship.

I would guess that neither has been comfortably single (as in, sleeping with no one at all) for more than a month at a time in their adult lives. No one else is probably willing to put up with their neurotic bullshit for very long though.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Tell your boy to ABORT THAT MISSION.

I get it (I've been there), but trust me when I say it's better to cut it off altogether.

Aug 14, 2018

The reason it's victim blaming is because he's in an abusive relationship. Certainly he should have handled the situation a whole lot better, but when you're abused it's hard for the victim to break out of the relationship, and just telling him to grow a spine and take responsibility is just not going to help in situations like this. The victim has in a sense of way become brainwashed by the abuser over the years and has formed a co-dependency with them.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Shall we stop being a dramaqueen and bring in a lot of stuff that A: isn't related and B: i never said. I don't think he should wear the pants. I think he should take responsibility for his own life and actions. I fully realize men can be abused. You're searching for stuff.

If thats not victim blaming I dont know wtf it is.
Spineless? No reason to just walk out? Yeah... Im sure all mistreated women would be also delited to hear your wisdom of how to get out of abusive relationships.

We don't even know if this story is true.

And you know?
The only thing we can say right now if that if THIS is true, the guy needs help, even psycholgy help (becuase he cant handle abusive relatioships), and need to get out of that relationship. Oh the guy cheated? Maybe he cheated becuase he needed love and still was scared shitless of her current girlfriend becuase of what she usually does? Shit like this sometimes happens, geto off you high horse (and i say this hating cheating, and in this same thread i have said i was really angry at a friend for doing it with her ex).

If we discover this is just the imagination of the OPs friend, then you can say whatever you want of the guy.
You can see I didnt call the girlfriend names or anything, becuase I still dont know if its true, so dont want to condemn her completely. Im just saying on my 3 posts in this thread, that if its true the guy needs help, thats it.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
The reason it's victim blaming is because he's in an abusive relationship. Certainly he should have handled the situation a whole lot better, but when you're abused it's hard for the victim to break out of the relationship, and just telling him to grow a spine and take responsibility is just not going to help in situations like this. The victim has in a sense of way become brainwashed by the abuser over the years and has formed a co-dependency with them.
So how far does this abuse go?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Another angle on the whole locked door thing is maybe the guy just didn't want to leave without his keys in hand so he could get back in later.

(Not that the original idea of being locked in is too strange to begin with.)

Strange story either way. Hope both parties involved turn out okay.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
No one should be abused, man or woman.

Believe it or not, men can be abused by women too, & it doesn't exactly have to be physical. There's also mental & emotional abuse.

And not all men are exactly strong physically (or emotionally or mentally strong).

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So how far does this abuse go?
If you're having some difficulty visualizing this as abuse because it's a dude, try looking at it this way: girlfriend tries to break up with boyfriend. He refuses to let her leave him and locked the door from the inside and hid the keys, then kept her there until she agreed to stay and they had sex. Sounds pretty bad, yeah? That's straying into 'the implication' territory