Ori And the Blind Forest
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Monster Hunter World
Overwatch

the lack of ori mentions in this thread hurts :( the under appreciated GOAT

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Bayonetta 2 (does this count as "this gen"? Wii U is in a weird place)
Bloodborne
Celeste
Zelda: BotW

There were a lot of games that come close to being a 10 this gen for me though, so there's some tough competition.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
  1. Bloodborne
  2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (super fun!)
  3. Firewatch (came along at the right time for me)
  4. The Witness (even though its creator is an inconsiderate buffoon...)

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno; I'm not the type to give out 10s but these are the four most flawless games I played

God of War
Dead Cells
Astrobot
SuperHOT

these aren't necessarily my top 4 games though

Deleted member 20429

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think for me it has to be:
- Celeste - The gameplay was just so incredibly complementary to the story in a way you rarely see in video games imo. And I adored the challenge of the game without it being punishing and was actually encouraging. Bonus points for the accessibility options too.

- The Messenger - I somehow managed to go into this completely blind and was just expecting an old school Ninja Gaiden type game. Anyone who's played this I'm sure will know how incredible later events landed with me completely unexpectedly. The fluidity of the controls and combat just pushed this up to a top tier game for me too. The soundtrack is a bop too.

- Hollow Knight - The atmosphere, music, world building and everything about this I adored. This was a game that stuck with me for a long time. I do regret getting the platinum trophy for it though, the final DLC kinda soured the experience. But a wonderful game none the less.

- Tetris Effect - IMO the best version of an absolutely timeless game. And one of the most emotional VR experiences I've ever had. I still come back to this game very regularly to de-stress. It's just incredible.

Although Sekiro and Bloodborne are very close to being there.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Breath of the Wild
Dragon Quest XI S (so happy to see so many of you also mentioning it :D)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Tetris Effect in VR

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
  • Slay the Spire is probably my only 10/10.
The others that are close to a 10 are
  • Divinity Original Sin 2
  • Disco Elysium
  • Hades

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I don't think I have four 10/10s in my all time list, let alone this gen. Hell, my top 3 favorite games of all time are a 9, an 8 and a 7 (number#4 is a 10 though) so maybe I'm just the wrong person for this topic.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2
The Last of Us Part II
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Nier: Automata

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us Part 2
God of War
'
I'm not sure what others games I will give 10s too honestly. Lots of games that I think are like 9.5 tho (Uncharted 4, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon)

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The Witcher 3
Tetris Effect
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

The Witcher 3 is weird because if I were someone who actually scored games, I might not give it a 10, but it is also my favorite game this gen and easily the best RPG I've ever played. Can you still give a game a 10 if it's buggy and imbalanced and the controls kinda suck??

Jan 4, 2018
Persona 5
Yakuza 0
Nier: Automata
Final Fantasy 7 Remake

And there's still more, but that would be my top 4 (in no order) probably. This has by far been my favorite gen.

noj86

Oct 28, 2017
London
The Legend of Zelda : Breath of the Wild
Bloodborne
Hollow Knight
The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

4 exceptional games in which I sunk countless hours...

if the list was 9/10 it would have been much longer, the PS4/X1/Switch/WiiU gen has been fantastic.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Breath of the Wild
Celeste
Slay the Spire
Crypt of the Necrodancer

Kind of surprised how weighted this is toward indie games, in hindsight. Honorable mentions to Shadowbringers, Mario Odyssey, and Dark Souls 3.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us Part II
God of War
Uncharted 4 A Thief's End
Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Clear cut 10
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • God of War
  • Bloodborne
  • Forza Horizon 3

Either a 9.5 or 10
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Uncharted 4

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us 2
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
God of War
Final Fantasy VII Remake

Sad that the only JRPG to fit that mold for me came in the last year of the generation

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't think I'd put any other game as a 10/10, other than Bloodborne, so I'll just list the top 4 games of this gen.

Bloodborne - Easily the best game I played this generation.
The Witcher 3 - One of the few open world games that I'm eager to replay. Once it hooked me I didn't want to stop.
The Last of Us 2 - Some of my favorite gameplay this generation. I really want to see what it would look like at 60fps.
Red Dead Redemption 2 - The only thing that brings this game down is the opening chapters. A great game, but not meant for replays.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
10/10 doesn't mean flawless to me. i think anyone can point out flaws in my 4, but to me they are the pinnacle of what was achieved this generation

sekiro
celeste
witcher 3
divinity original sin 2

honorable mentions:
nuclear throne
prey
a hat in time

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I don't know if I think four 10/10 games were made this gen, but two would for sure be Breath of the Wild and Hollow Knight. Dota 2 is complicated, but I'll put it up there. The player base can be bad, but it's a masterfully made game. I don't think Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth is a 10/10 but it's my next-favorite game of the gen and if it's not a 10 it's not far off.

Hollow Knight
Dota 2
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth

Oct 27, 2017
Played a lot of games this gen that we're undeniably fantastic (most of which have been mentioned) but I don't think I played any game I'd consider a 10/10, let alone 4 of them.

god of war, yakuza 0 and monster train are pretty up there as far as "I don't really have anything but good things to say" tier.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Tetris Effect
Rocket League
TxK
Shovel Knight

(Going from 2014)
Celeste, Hades, Tropical Freeze, Spelunky 2, Dark souls 3 could take the last spot when I've played more and/or replayed them but I'm leaning more towards 9s.

kenneld

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Outer Wilds
Celeste
Doom 2016
Cuphead

Those are perfect games to me. There are other games like Breath of the Wild - possibly my GOTG - or TLoU2 that I love but could never call perfect.

Tetryl

Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3
Forza Horizon 4
Celeste
Titanfall 2

If I had a fifth spot I'd put Breath of the Wild.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Part II
The Witcher III
Dragon Quest XI
Bloodborne

Idk though. I changed this list about 3 times now before hitting post

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
The Witness
Sekiro
Hitman 2
Dishonored 2

I prefer Prey to D2, but Prey has a couple design flaws that prevent me from giving it the 10/10 rating, if that makes sense.

These four games all feature exceptional level design and art direction; two of the most important things for me.