zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
i have a question: i had devmode installed/unlocked a year ago. i also had some emulators running but ended up deleting them. is there a way to get everything back? i really want to play some gc games.
No need for dev mode really. Just get sign in to the discord channel on your xbox using edge then download the apps. That's it. There is no difference on how the apps work between dev or retail mode.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
It's works so much better than Retroarch Dolphin! It really is fantastic.

Playing Phantasy Star Online: Episode I&ll on my Series X, and being able to actually play that shit "online" has been incredible. They never implemented backwards compatibility for the OG Xbox version of PSO, so I feel like a long standing wrong has finally been righted, now that I can finally play this beautiful game on the Xbox platform again.

These retail emulators have just added crazy value to my Series X purchase.

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously considering picking up a Series S for just emulating older games, might pick one up when on sale.

Holiday bundle should still be available for 249

does a gamecube controller adapter work on this or am i dreaming a bit too far?
Gamecube Controller to 8bitdo Gbros
8bitdo Gbros to Brook Wingman XB/XB2 using the USB cable with Xinput mode

That's the only way to connect a GC controller and have it work.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the video, seems like it has some hitches and isn't worth fucking with until they update it further.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
"Retroarch is a needlessly complicated front-end"

Preach.

I have the dev mode installed but after watching this I might wait for some updates before I jump in.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Once they make config options available on console I'm definitely gonna try this out.
Very understandable, it's super barebones in the UWP application. Controller ain't even recognized in-game by default, which took me by surprise lol.

But I actually found it pretty easy to just use that Durango FTP to transfer my Dolphin Config files from my PC to my USB drive plugged into my Series X. So I make whatever changes I need on the Dolphin on my PC, then I just move all the updated config files to my Xbox using FileZilla. A bit clunky to be sure, but it works quite nicely!

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Holiday bundle should still be available for 249

Gamecube Controller to 8bitdo Gbros
8bitdo Gbros to Brook Wingman XB/XB2 using the USB cable with Xinput mode

That's the only way to connect a GC controller and have it work.
that's actually a bit less convoluted than I was expecting the reality to be
all i'm saying is if this worked with the 4 port adapter, the series s at that holiday price would be the perfect melee emu box lol

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
No need for dev mode really. Just get sign in to the discord channel on your xbox using edge then download the apps. That's it. There is no difference on how the apps work between dev or retail mode.
thanks, managed to get the dolphin app installed.
now my problem is, no matter whic game is start from usb, the screen stays black. i followed mvg's video step by step. no idea what went wrong.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
The Series S is such a cool console for emulation, I'm sure I've been using it mostly for classic stuff rather than new releases. 😅

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Series x emulation scene is beautiful. Hoping this Carrie's on for every Xbox system in the future.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Saw the title of the video on YouTube and was super confused cause I thought he meant, y'know, the Xbox, not the Xbox Series S.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
thanks, managed to get the dolphin app installed.
now my problem is, no matter whic game is start from usb, the screen stays black. i followed mvg's video step by step. no idea what went wrong.
Haven't tried this myself, but have you checked this guide from an earlier post?

The USB drive requires certain permissions to be set I think. I followed this guide after getting the black screen also. Worked after I followed the video.

View: https://youtu.be/qNdK8KXbDLU

I ran in retail mode after grabbing the dolphin build from discord as per MVG's video

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Sooooo…
Who's gonna make a PSO thread and when are we playing? Now that some others are seeing how it's done.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Can't watch the video now, but how straightforward is this to get running well and actually use? I tried Dolphin through Retroarch on SX, and it was a pain in the ass to get going for a number of reasons, none of the tutorials accurately described like, anything, the community on the site I was using basically had a "don't ask for help because if you can't figure it out you're an idiot and we'll ban you" rule, and went it was all said and done I couldn't get the ONE game I wanted to play (Metroid Prime) to run in any way I could describe as "not absolutely fucking awful" and "totally not objectively worse to just plugging my GameCube into my 4KTV and playing in 480i".

MonsterJail

Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Had trouble with retroarch but got prime, eternal darkness and twilight princess up and running

My roadblocks were:
  1. Black screen when booting from usb (solution, reformat usb as suggested)
  2. Controller not configured - bit silly on me this, when you set the config it generates a bunch of config files in that location, I messed up and put the premade ones from the discord in the wrong place
After these it was smooth sailing, didn't get to play long but all seems great

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like it has a ways to go with basic user facing features. Not shipping with default controls set up for the series controller that comes packed in with the system seems very odd.
It's not an official port, so it's to be expected.

Can't watch the video now, but how straightforward is this to get running well and actually use? I tried Dolphin through Retroarch on SX, and it was a pain in the ass to get going for a number of reasons, none of the tutorials accurately described like, anything, the community on the site I was using basically had a "don't ask for help because if you can't figure it out you're an idiot and we'll ban you" rule, and went it was all said and done I couldn't get the ONE game I wanted to play (Metroid Prime) to run in any way I could describe as "not absolutely fucking awful" and "totally not objectively worse to just plugging my GameCube into my 4KTV and playing in 480i".
This won't be straight forward for a bit since it requires you to set it up on PC and then copy and paste over files since there's no real native UI on Xbox yet.

And most communities aren't going to provide actual support for Xbox since most of the emulators aren't ported over by the the actual emulator dev teams since they're all focused on putting the emulators on dev mode while the community at large toss them on the retail mode.

That and Dolphin's core in Retroarch is outdated as hell.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's xbox specific though. You'd think that it'd at least default the controls to it's default control set up.
True, but all of the emulators default to SDL inputs rather than xinput. And even though SDL has xinput profiles, I imagine that anyone doing a quick and dirty port isn't really shifting past the defaults.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Heads up ERA the Dev has updated this UWP app and it now has Xbox controller profile all setup with additional improvements like game loader menu and more!

See GitHub info here

github.com

Releases · SirMangler/dolphin

Dolphin is a GameCube / Wii emulator, allowing you to play games for these two platforms on PC with improvements. - SirMangler/dolphin

I installed in retail mode on my S and it just updated. Running off usb but can switch that to SSD later. I tried Wind waker, metroid prime and Luigi's mansion, all run like a beast. This shit is impressive. There is a little menu lag, and shader caching at the start but as a work in progress it's beast! And yes rumble works perfect.

Btw if you update and get a black screen on game bootup and setup previously, just set your Xbox dash to 1080p, it's a bug in the new version which will get sorted I'm sure.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Bought a Series S on sale at the end of last year solely for emulation. I walked away super impressed.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
Are we able to use a real wii remote for wii games? What about using a gamecube adapter like I do on the pc¿

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Are we able to use a real wii remote for wii games? What about using a gamecube adapter like I do on the pc¿
No on the former for a couple reasons, so just classic controller enabled games I believe(or motionless ones). On the latter I think so? But I'm not sure?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Weird, when I pick a game folder it doesn't find anything. I've tried putting the games in their own folders and also tried putting them in a folder together. Still nothing.

Xeno-V

Oct 30, 2017
What am I doing wrong? Prime keeps crashing to like 20 FPS and hardcore stuttering on my SX, even at 480p.

Kinda same for me and I am not sure if anyone can help. I mostly tried Metroid Prime 1 on my Series X and regardless of whether I choose native resolution or 4k, the game is stuttering quite often, while things look great (and play great for the most part) besides those stutters. Is this normal or not?

Trifle

Oct 28, 2017
Weird, when I pick a game folder it doesn't find anything. I've tried putting the games in their own folders and also tried putting them in a folder together. Still nothing.

Try the steps in the chapter "USB Security Permissons Setup" in this vid

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the Retroarch core a few months back, it ran F-Zero at around 40fps in 4k on my SX. Not really interested since I have my PC next to my Xbox, but it's nice to see.