• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
Thanks Sarah! Just been messing around while I'm in planning/prep stages for album. Trying to do some cool shit 2018.

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
Thanks, I'm not sure if its the amen in particular. This loop I got from a sample pack in one of those secret facebook grps that were all the rage a couple years ago.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
Took me a while to write this one as I just had no idea where I wanted to go with it. It was stuck at the 1 minute mark for a few months. Then it went through a truly awkward stage where it became an EDM track, a Dubstep track, a Rock track, and a Film Score style track - all of which left their mark on the final product - before things finally started to click and make sense. Brass, strings, slap bass, lasers, bells, Moog synths, and a lot of dancey Disco flare.

Download: THA-battledisco.mp3

Magical. Captures just about every disco trope I can think of!

Nyx

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Took me a while to write this one as I just had no idea where I wanted to go with it. It was stuck at the 1 minute mark for a few months. Then it went through a truly awkward stage where it became an EDM track, a Dubstep track, a Rock track, and a Film Score style track - all of which left their mark on the final product - before things finally started to click and make sense. Brass, strings, slap bass, lasers, bells, Moog synths, and a lot of dancey Disco flare.

This is really great. So much going on, wish I could be that good in (drum) variation. Well done!

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Posted this over at KVR Audio, but will check here too just in case.

I'm stumped on how to do those booming, deep techno basses.

Any starting general/detailed hints would be swell. Should I jack up the low-frequency gains and slap some heavy reverb on a distorted/effect-driven kick?

Some tracks I would like to learn a bit from:

The beginning of Daniel Avery - Radius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jndxEaudAAw
Conforce - Harnessed Life In Programmed Form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR6MPBE7Rv8

Thanks in advance!

Oct 25, 2017
Distortion and frequency boosting are mostly going to enhance tone and texture, but it sounds like you're looking for more weight.

Try turning down and thinning everything else out a bit so that the low end sounds thicker and louder in relation.

Binster

Oct 27, 2017

Briliant stuff :)

Here's a track I'm working on - ostensibly 'fakebit/chiptune' but I tend to go off into more regular dance music production. I think it's got a solid bassline and melody, but I'm still trying to get the instruments to sit, and I'm trying to find that sweet spot where it's not over loaded with melody but isn't undercooked either...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BxUGj8jAha7oaT3Q-z9MZRYw3E0KpDck

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Any starting general/detailed hints would be swell. Should I jack up the low-frequency gains and slap some heavy reverb on a distorted/effect-driven kick?

The beginning of Daniel Avery - Radius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jndxEaudAAw
Conforce - Harnessed Life In Programmed Form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR6MPBE7Rv8

Thanks in advance!
On holiday atm so I'll be able to give some advice hopefully when I'm back next week.

Hamst3r

Oct 25, 2017
Binster Thanks! I dig what you've posted as well!

I think you're in the right realm with reverb on a distorted kick. For that first one, it sounds like the distortion is after the reverb. So, Kick > Reverb > Compressor > Distortion.

As for the second one, I think it's Kick > a little Distortion > Reverb > A little Saturation > Compressor.

As for the reverb, one of the key features, particularly of the second example, is that they're using a reverb where you can alter the diffusion. Diffusion smooths out the delays that make up a reverb effect, so turning it down makes the reverb sound rough and chunky. And if you adjust the reverb time just right, you can get a little extra rhythm going between each kick, giving it that BD-db-b-b- BD-db-b-b- sound the second one has. Apply a compressor after will exaggerate this effect.

You don't necessarily need an EQ or any other effects on there if your Reverb and Distortion plugins have built-in EQ, dampen, or tone features (like NI's RC48). Use them to dull the highs and boost the bass to your liking.

Lastly, they both sound like 909 kicks to me, but the kick in the second example is pitched down. And the kick in the first example seems to taper off prematurely between each snare and the kick after it, which could be the reverb settings being just so, or the use of a gate, or that the kick was recorded and is being played back as a sample. I think it's the 3rd option.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks a lot Hamst3r, really appreciated! Will play around when I get some time. I really need to start thinking more in terms of effects chains.

And thanks to you too Chris Metal , appreciate any advice from you too when you have the time/willpower.

Last edited:

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
Could anyone give me ideas on recording d.i.y rock? (Elliot Smith, Alex g 'ish') I play guitar, piano, bass and sing. I have a microphone, MacBook Pro, Logic Pro X, and can plug my instruments/microphones (electric guitar, bass guitar, piano/midi keyboard) in so I can record pretty much everything at home.

At the min I'm just plugging my piano/midi keyboard in and laying down some piano then laying down guitar and bass and finally some vocals all on Logic Pro X.

1.I'm looking for recording ideas, better to record live (using a microphone) or should I plug my instruments in to my MacBook?
2. Again, better to record guitar and bass live or plug into my MacBook?
3. My piano is also a midi so I can use that for various other sounds etc, My question is for normal piano, better live or plugged in to MacBook?
4. Drums, I could use the piano as a midi with Logic Pro X and lay down drums. But Im thinking I might find it easier to use a drum pads that are usable with drum sticks? (if that's possible/any recommendations)?
5. If I'm using a guitar with various pedals, is there a way to get that exact sound by plugging in and recording or does it have to be recorded live using a microphone?
6. any ideas/tips on recording rock?
7. any tips at all concerning recording in general? programs, youtubers, equipment etc etc?

Thanks in advanced, I'm honestly so out of my depth with all this stuff. Just any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hamst3r

Oct 25, 2017
Voodoowoolf You're going to get a lot of different answers here, as everyone uses different stuff. But hey, here's my suggestion:

1 & 2. Plug your instruments into your macbook.
3. Plug in and use a plugin like Kontakt which has a wealth of nice pianos. Lots of non-Kontakt pianos out there too.
4. Drum pads are cool, yeah. There's a wide variety of drum input devices, like the Alesis Sample Pad and the Roland V-Kit.
5. Might want to get a plugin like Native Instruments Guitar Rig (my favorite), IK Amplitube, or Peavey Revalver to recreate your favorite pedal setups. The modules in them are based-off of real world pedals, so they're pretty recognizable on sight. One of those plugins might have all of your pedals or ones that are close enough. You can even get a MIDI pedal board to use with the software.

In short, plugging everything in and working with software is a low-effort way to make everything cleaner and easier to deal with. You have the option of manipulating the dry audio, removing noises, mixing takes, changing the effects chain, tweaking the tone, all without having to re-record anything. It's just a lot of freedom gained by getting everything onto the computer in as pure a form as possible. I find it to be inspirational in itself, because it's so easy to just try something that I find myself doing so just because I can.

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
Could anyone give me ideas on recording d.i.y rock? (Elliot Smith, Alex g 'ish') I play guitar, piano, bass and sing. I have a microphone, MacBook Pro, Logic Pro X, and can plug my instruments/microphones (electric guitar, bass guitar, piano/midi keyboard) in so I can record pretty much everything at home.

At the min I'm just plugging my piano/midi keyboard in and laying down some piano then laying down guitar and bass and finally some vocals all on Logic Pro X.

1.I'm looking for recording ideas, better to record live (using a microphone) or should I plug my instruments in to my MacBook?
2. Again, better to record guitar and bass live or plug into my MacBook?
3. My piano is also a midi so I can use that for various other sounds etc, My question is for normal piano, better live or plugged in to MacBook?
4. Drums, I could use the piano as a midi with Logic Pro X and lay down drums. But Im thinking I might find it easier to use a drum pads that are usable with drum sticks? (if that's possible/any recommendations)?
5. If I'm using a guitar with various pedals, is there a way to get that exact sound by plugging in and recording or does it have to be recorded live using a microphone?
6. any ideas/tips on recording rock?
7. any tips at all concerning recording in general? programs, youtubers, equipment etc etc?

Thanks in advanced, I'm honestly so out of my depth with all this stuff. Just any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
First of all, you need an audio interface to record anything into a computer which from your post I presume you have already. But to answer your question... It depends. For something like a digital piano, some of them have really nice onboard sounds which you can record directly in, but you can also pick up some great piano sounds through a plugin like Kontakt, Keyscape, etc.

Guitar gets more complicated. Electric guitar/bass can be plugged directly from the guitar into the audio interface, but it sounds like you already have a lot of guitar gear since you mentioned the various pedals (which you can route as standalone effects on top of recorded sounds, yes). I'm assuming you also have a good amp, in which case you can record the amp itself with a microphone (click me to read more). Hamst3r already touched on this but it's not as convenient as working with software pedals, software amps, etc. But it's worth mentioning because only your own pedals and amps are gonna sound like them, whereas software will just get something pretty similar. It depends if you're okay with just similar.

Drum pads, there's tons of options out there, from full on electronic drum kits to a simple alesis or roland sampler for stick drumming.

Last edited:

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to have a look-see if there was a community thread after reading through the thread in EE the other day, nice that there is! I have been feeling the urge to get back into fucking about with music (been a couple/few years) so posting to sub to the thread. Looking forward to reading through the thread (need to get off internet and do *something* with my day). Gonna (re)start slow and try to stick with it, it can be hard to find time for both my fav hobbies but i know it can be done :)

Thanks for making this thread.

Any musicians who want an invite to the music production discord, please let me know.
yoooo...

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Hey music fam :)

Is there anyone in here that can hear a song (just a random radio hit) and arrange/create an instrumental track of it for a vocalist? Trying to weigh out my options here! :)

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
hi there everyone, I got a question:

is it possible for someone with enough expertise to get rid of noticeable clipping in an audio file?

I recorded myself playing a solo piano tocatta by J.S. Bach a while back and I really loved it but whenever I play louder the clipping sounds very present. I tried fixing it with the Fix clipping feature of Audacity but it didn't really go away.. would someone with the know-how please check it out??

also, I am not sure where to upload the file so if someone can suggest an easy to use platform, I'd appreciate it..

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
hi there everyone, I got a question:

is it possible for someone with enough expertise to get rid of noticeable clipping in an audio file?

I recorded myself playing a solo piano tocatta by J.S. Bach a while back and I really loved it but whenever I play louder the clipping sounds very present. I tried fixing it with the Fix clipping feature of Audacity but it didn't really go away.. would someone with the know-how please check it out??

also, I am not sure where to upload the file so if someone can suggest an easy to use platform, I'd appreciate it..
Wetransfer.com

Also your input gain signal is probably too hot by a few dB, if your I/O is via a DI signal from your keyboard, turn it down on the interface by about 3-4 dB.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Wetransfer.com

Also your input gain signal is probably too hot by a few dB, if your I/O is via a DI signal from your keyboard, turn it down on the interface by about 3-4 dB.

I was thinking about uploading the recording to let you guys see how it sounds, wetransfer.com seems like a method to send it to someone else in private communication. or am I missing something here?

also, that's a 7 year old recording of a piece I don't know anymore. If I am to use it, it would have to be that recording in a restored version or something.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I was thinking about uploading the recording to let you guys see how it sounds, wetransfer.com seems like a method to send it to someone else in private communication. or am I missing something here?

also, that's a 7 year old recording of a piece I don't know anymore. If I am to use it, it would have to be that recording in a restored version or something.
You can use Dropbox. Also set the file as download enable.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's fantastic that there's a community of musicians here.
I just have a (sorta) quick band question..

I'm a guitarist/songwriter that's been too anxious throughout my life to ever share my own songs. I'm now sitting on a couple hundred partially complete pieces written over the past 20 years.
I'm 35 now, life feels shorter and time keeps flying by at an alarming rate, as always I feel like I'm wasting my life on jobs I don't care about just to make money to live comfortably. Never doing what I actually enjoy in life.
My stupid question is, at this later point in my life, how on earth does one actually meet people and start a band? Particularly for recording or expanding on a large pile of older material. I guess I could try hired guns, though I'd need to be careful about planning exact times and stuff (as well as with money in general). This is all assuming I can keep my anxiety and shyness at bay.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I'm a guitarist/songwriter that's been too anxious throughout my life to ever share my own songs. I'm now sitting on a couple hundred partially complete pieces written over the past 20 years.
I'm 35 now, life feels shorter and time keeps flying by at an alarming rate, as always I feel like I'm wasting my life on jobs I don't care about just to make money to live comfortably. Never doing what I actually enjoy in life.
My stupid question is, at this later point in my life, how on earth does one actually meet people and start a band? Particularly for recording or expanding on a large pile of older material. I guess I could try hired guns, though I'd need to be careful about planning exact times and stuff (as well as with money in general). This is all assuming I can keep my anxiety and shyness at bay.
Go to a open mic night. Not to play, but see a few musicians and meet people, is always a good start. You also might have a few friends or work colleagues with musical abilities you were unaware of. Get involved in local community events too to boost confidence.

You can also try musician/band classifieds websites like this one:
https://www.bandmix.com.au

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Go to a open mic night. Not to play, but see a few musicians and meet people, is always a good start. You also might have a few friends or work colleagues with musical abilities you were unaware of. Get involved in local community events too to boost confidence.

You can also try musician/band classifieds websites like this one:
https://www.bandmix.com.au
Thanks so much for the advice, that's very helpful :)
I'm gonna go through the nearby open mics in Melbourne to see what I can fit in.

EVOL

Oct 27, 2017

How about using synths and drum machines?

I was in the same boat, writing songs for non existent bands, using shitty virtual drummers and playing bass really badly. Then I just kind of realised that my music was too niche, and just hunkering down and continuing to write rock music by myself was turning out to be a bad idea. Even most great albums which were supposedly written by one person, had some personnel recording instruments that the artist wasn't good enough to play.

So I just started to tinker around with synths instead, and then it opened a whole new world of sonic possibilities, and I've been writing the best music I ever have.

Or you could just go the acoustic route. I think it's a bad idea to box yourself into thinking that you need a particular sound.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Some music software up on Humble Bundle. $30 for the full pack of ACID, ACID Lite, ACID Pro, ACID Proer, Sound Forge, Sound Forge Lite, Sound Forge but just the audio restoration effects, and Sound Forge but it's iTunes:

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/magix-sounds-of-music-software

(I'm getting it for Sound Forge 11 and the deep house loops because I will never say no to more samples even crappy loops)

Sweet, thanks for the heads-up! Anyone have any idea if buying this bundle entitles you to the Sound Forge Pro 12 upgrade coming soon-ish? (buying 11 from the official Magix webpage mentions a free upgrade when 12 is released, wonder if it's applicable here: https://www.magix.com/us/music/sound-forge-pro/ )

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
How about using synths and drum machines?

I was in the same boat, writing songs for non existent bands, using shitty virtual drummers and playing bass really badly. Then I just kind of realised that my music was too niche, and just hunkering down and continuing to write rock music by myself was turning out to be a bad idea. Even most great albums which were supposedly written by one person, had some personnel recording instruments that the artist wasn't good enough to play.

So I just started to tinker around with synths instead, and then it opened a whole new world of sonic possibilities, and I've been writing the best music I ever have.

Or you could just go the acoustic route. I think it's a bad idea to box yourself into thinking that you need a particular sound.
Hey thanks for the advice. I was only acoustic until about 10 years ago!
I picked up Cubase a couple of years ago to help learn sequencing, and also have a crappy little USB keyboard that I can use to "jam" with my own guitar recordings (which I can then tweak with the sequencer). While I have produced some OK little bits here and there, it's never fully clicked for me. I guess I like the kinda organic feel of a live performance and it's difficult to write with sequencers. Not ruling it out, I know I probably need to spend more time.
Do you have any synth recommendations?

EVOL

Oct 27, 2017
Hey thanks for the advice. I was only acoustic until about 10 years ago!
I picked up Cubase a couple of years ago to help learn sequencing, and also have a crappy little USB keyboard that I can use to "jam" with my own guitar recordings (which I can then tweak with the sequencer). While I have produced some OK little bits here and there, it's never fully clicked for me. I guess I like the kinda organic feel of a live performance and it's difficult to write with sequencers. Not ruling it out, I know I probably need to spend more time.
Do you have any synth recommendations?

I bought my first hardware synth just last month, the MS-20 Mini. It's a great synth, and I like how intuitive it feels compared to plug-ins, but there are a lot of free plugins which get the job done just fine.

I have no experience with the plugins on Cubase, but I get along just fine using Logic's Alchemy and a free plugin calledObxd. Digital synths have come a long way, there's no need to immediately plunge in the world of hardware. Most people who use hardware seem to be using them mostly for the better QOL experience of hardware instead of sound. I got this advice from r/synthesizers, a Subreddit entirely dedicated to hardware so I think it's pretty sound lol

I feel guilty for this because I feel like it comes off as just a way to plug my own music, but this song was made entirely by free plugins except the compression, guitar and my vocals. It's not quite radio-ready, but I think that the quality of sound is just good enough to not feel like it's been recorded with a potato.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I bought my first hardware synth just last month, the MS-20 Mini. It's a great synth, and I like how intuitive it feels compared to plug-ins, but there are a lot of free plugins which get the job done just fine.

I have no experience with the plugins on Cubase, but I get along just fine using Logic's Alchemy and a free plugin calledObxd. Digital synths have come a long way, there's no need to immediately plunge in the world of hardware. Most people who use hardware seem to be using them mostly for the better QOL experience of hardware instead of sound. I got this advice from r/synthesizers, a Subreddit entirely dedicated to hardware so I think it's pretty sound lol

I feel guilty for this because I feel like it comes off as just a way to plug my own music, but this song was made entirely by free plugins except the compression, guitar and my vocals. It's not quite radio-ready, but I think that the quality of sound is just good enough to not feel like it's been recorded with a potato.
Thanks for the reply, and don't feel guilty about plugging your song it sounds great! It's got a good atmosphere (not even close to potato) and also somehow doesn't come across as "artificial", which is something I struggle with a bit with synthesizers.
I'll check out your links over the weekend, anything that helps compose with synthesizers is welcome, I suck at that.

Last edited:

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Cool track, Depeche Mode vibes.

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, a friend linked me to this - http://opus-foundation.org/#

Seems to be a (deep skeptical breath) crypto-currency based music distribution platform...?

My default position on anything new is that it's a scam or a fad and not worth getting into, but perhaps some of you guys have had experience with it or think it looks interesting?

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great already!

Not sure if it is because of the sung language (Korean?) or you intend to keep it like it, but in case you want to work on some of those sharp S sounds, you could use Klevgrand's "Esspresso" plugin. There are probably a ton more which could do the job, but since I only know iOS plugins, this came to my mind. It is free too.

Nontheless, I really dig the track! Especially the beginning gives me shivers hehe. What synth did you use?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well, given up on trying to fix up the keyboard, it's not worth anymore time or effort. However it looks like I might be able to grab my 1960's Hammond Spinet Organ I left in a family place up north on my way back west. It may have a 10 minute warmup time, but as long as you give it that it sounds awesome. And it came with a bench full of sheet music... from the 60s and a little 70's, but some good stuff. It's just what I need for some good practice

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Can someone help me? I'm looking to buy a used Roland TD-50KV and I found this listing:

https://reverb.com/item/5862105-roland-td-50kv-electronic-drum-kit-6pc-bundle-used

The price seems to be pretty decent, just wanted to make sure I'm getting my money's worth and not getting scammed.
If you're putting down that much cash, I'd ask to go view the product to make sure it's all in working order and as listed. And as it seems to be a shop seller, I can't see why this would be a problem as they offer local pickup.

Thanks in advance!
Hey BeeDog ,sorry on the late reply.

Some of this might help, understanding phase relationship helps. Remember that speakers can only support a certain amount of frequency information:
https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/1211

Also a lot of it is select and clever choice of samples, reverb/delay (both eq'd on their aux when used), saturation, parallel channels with bit crusher might be worth trying.

Last edited:

Shwing

Oct 25, 2017
If you're putting down that much cash, I'd ask to go view the product to make sure it's all in working order and as listed. And as it seems to be a shop seller, I can't see why this would be a problem as they offer local pickup.

Unfortunately it's not near me and from what I could see, there aren't any of these sets used in my area. At least from what I could find online.

Aomber

Oct 25, 2017
Beantown
I'm completely proficient in using Ableton Live already along with above average knowledge of production, mixing & mastering.

With this in mind, what would be the best to-the-point resource for learning Pro Tools?