DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
single player trailer for MP4 at TGA
singleplayer/muliplayer demo at E3
multiplayer public demo after that

that's my thoughts on it

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, I have to. It's been too long and this is like finding an oasis in the desert.

Finally we have...

KqqilCE.png

hey I like this image a lot thank you

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
People bought the triology, but thats obviously not what I am talking about.

I am talking about the possibility that a boring triology could hurt sales of a new game. And MP1 & MP2 could be boring for newcomers and make them not buy MP4.
Nah that's ok, if they keep the trilogy download only anyone not into Prime will probably skip it while keeping the fans happy.
Otherwise might as well remove Bayo 1&2 from the store after all they NEVER that sold well regardless of the platform and they still brought that over to keep people waiting for Bayo3.
Hopefully they don't make the mistake of expecting Prime 4 to be a Zelda level event and keep it Metroid...or they better make something balls to the wall awesome.

Jan 11, 2018
I'd argue that Prime 3 is the creepiest in the trilogy just because of the two locations below:

-The abandoned Metroid facility in SkyTown
-The derelict GFS Valhalla

4l0d0dU.jpg

The Metroid Quarantine area was incredibly well done. The leviathan cores, and especially Phaaze, were very creepy as well. And the Pirate Homeworld wasn't exactly sunshine and rainbows either.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yes. the TGA will be the "fan reveal" of sorts. the Metroid game as the fans know it to be. with E3, with it's news outlet and public hands-on, to be there to get the non-fans on board
I'm pretty much expecting the same. The reveal trailer for all the Nintendo fans and those outside of Nintendo to pique their interest at the Game Awards. Come E3 2019 they'll reveal it all including online multiplayer.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My wishlist:
- Voiced dialogue with enough story to drive the narrative/mystery
- Samus has new weapons/abilities. I'd like a weapon that doesn't feel like a beam or missiles and has a little more of the feel of FPS gunplay.
- An area or space station where I can talk to people, buy stuff, and get enemy bounties to collect. The universe always feels way too small in these games compared to the potential of a "space bounty hunter" concept.
- Maybe Samus talks to an AI in her suit or something?
- Online multiplayer that has some different feeling classes

There's been lots of examples (Doom, Arkham games, Tomb Raider, Souls series, Mass Effect, etc) that Prime 4 should take some notes from.
200.gif

If you want Doom gameplay play Doom. The Arkham games took note from Prime 1 so what does Prime 4 need to take from those games exactly? Tomb Raider...fucking what? Prime 1 and Souls games have a lot in common anyway... If you want epic storylines and intertwining, changeable fates of NPCs and hours of exposition play Mass Effect. If you don't want to play a Metroid game just say so

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about that wrecked Vahalla ship in 3. That was probably the most Metroid has gotten to horror. That corrupted message you find at the end from the A.I. creeped the hell out of me the first time I heard it.

Oct 25, 2017
Samus definitely could use some new abilities/weapons. Some ideas:

-I like the idea of more interesting beams. Have one that reflects and bounces around, or one that's like a lob shot.
-Include the speed booster. I want to go fast. Doesn't have to be too flashy, even a moderate boost would be satisfying, and enough to build puzzles around.
-The counter move from Samus Returns is awesome, and could be really good here. And maybe other melee options, like grapple to enemies, or pull them to you. But all quick moves that won't take you out of control to complete a scripted animation. Didn't really like that in SR.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The entire point of the Zero Suit is that she can't fight in it. All she has is a stun gun.
thanks to Smash Bros, I think some folks might have different expectations. not to say the game is gonna go all Ninja Gaiden while she's in ZS form, but combined with the counter mechanic introduced in Samus Returns, they could do some cool shit. dare I say something Deus Ex-esque with some stealthing?

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
200.gif

If you want Doom gameplay play Doom. The Arkham games took note from Prime 1 so what does Prime 4 need to take from those games exactly? Tomb Raider...fucking what? Prime 1 and Souls games have a lot in common anyway... If you want epic storylines and intertwining, changeable fates of NPCs and hours of exposition play Mass Effect. If you don't want to play a Metroid game just say so

That poster is allowed to want Metroid's world building and pacing with a difference in structure. It's not like many established series haven't completely changed before(I only agree with them on the voiced dialogue part FWIW). The statement of "if you want DOOM go play DOOM" is pretty dismissive as well. They have no right to be upset if the series sticks to its roots, but can always have an opinion on where they'd like the series to go. This is coming from someone with Super and Prime in his top 10 of all time.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyways if ZSS has a bigger presence it won't be shown here. It'll be saved for later. Game Awards should show all the good things people want to see. Save "controversial" stuff for later.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can make it more action-oriented and quick while she's still in her power suit. ZSS is absolutely not needed.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why having both good atmosphere and better action is impossible. The 2D games have more platforming and movement options than the Prime games already (ledge grab, shine spark, and wall jumping). Plus, almost every element of combat (beams, missiles and bombs) are used for finding stuff around the map, exploration wise.

I love these games but Im not gonna praise it for its combat. Samus Returns managed to have better action and was still really good.

If we're talking playing as ZSS, then have that be the starting point of the game and work up from there.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
METROID PRIME 4
- Open world planet design with dungeons.
- Towns/hubs to visit, talk to NPCs and get quests.
- Rich dialogue system with NPCs, full voice acting.
- Sylux companion. Constant dynamic dialogue and conversations between the two (inspired by Uncharted 4).
- RPG levelling system for equipment; customise Samus and Sylux suit and weapons, different character skills to focus on (eg: Sniper Samus, Healer Sylux, etc).
- Buy/sell scavenged loot and animal parts, craft new gear.
- PVP arena multiplayer mode.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
My wishlist:
- Voiced dialogue with enough story to drive the narrative/mystery.
- Dual-analog (with lock-on) with motion controls supported to refine aiming
- Samus doesn't lose her powers at the beginning of the game because of reasons
- Samus has new weapons/abilities. I'd like a weapon that doesn't feel like a beam or missiles and has a little more of the feel of FPS gunplay.
- An area or space station where I can talk to people, buy stuff, and get enemy bounties to collect. The universe always feels way too small in these games compared to the potential of a "space bounty hunter" concept.
- Some codex that are audio/video recordings that you can listen to (the audio recording mechanic works really well in other games). I like the "get item, rotate it to see more information/explore" too.
- Optional guidance that can be turned off for your traditional Metroid player, but keeps your casual player from getting lost. Maybe Samus talks to an AI in her suit or something?
- Enough action/set-pieces interspersed through the game so that people get their FPS fix
- Some areas we haven't seen before in a Metroid game

There's been lots of examples (Doom, Arkham games, Tomb Raider, Souls series, Mass Effect, etc) that Prime 4 should take some notes from.

This reads like a list of the worst possible ideas for Metroid.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
METROID PRIME 4
- Open world planet design with dungeons.
- Towns/hubs to visit, talk to NPCs and get quests.
- Rich dialogue system with NPCs, full voice acting.
- Sylux companion. Constant dynamic dialogue and conversations between the two (inspired by Uncharted 4).
- RPG levelling system for equipment; customise Samus and Sylux suit and weapons, different character skills to focus on (eg: Sniper Samus, Healer Sylux, etc).
- Buy/sell scavenged loot and animal parts, craft new gear.
- PVP arena multiplayer mode.
This isn't what I want at all from Prime, but I would still totally play this.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
My wishlist:
- Voiced dialogue with enough story to drive the narrative/mystery.
- Dual-analog (with lock-on) with motion controls supported to refine aiming
- Samus doesn't lose her powers at the beginning of the game because of reasons
- Some codex that are audio/video recordings that you can listen to (the audio recording mechanic works really well in other games). I like the "get item, rotate it to see more information/explore" too.
- Optional guidance that can be turned off for your traditional Metroid player, but keeps your casual player from getting lost. Maybe Samus talks to an AI in her suit or something?
- Enough action/set-pieces interspersed through the game so that people get their FPS fix
- Some areas we haven't seen before in a Metroid game

So, you don't want a Metroid game?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what I'm reading in. What's wrong with ZSS? I mean yeah you can just do it while she's in her normal suits for more action gameplay.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose Metroid fans tend to get a bit hostile towards certain suggestions because the root of the suggestions are heavily critiqued as to why the series is suggested to go in this direction. For those maybe on the receiving end of these types of posts, understand that Nintendo's approach to Metroid has been temperamental, and Metroid as a series in itself like any has a trademark thematic identity in design and vision that gravitated original fans in the first place.

In theory, we can do anything with any franchise. But we must ask ourselves; at what point are the changes we're introducing eroding the series identity in favour of something ultimately entirely new? Something that could, in practice, act as its own franchise and doesn't necessarily need to be an existing one. Bolting on existing franchises to new game design is a standard way of trying to sell said title, given the often difficulty of marketing new IPs, but this often isn't necessary and in the case of some franchises can be detrimental. In short; is Metroid really big enough that making an entirely revised idea of Metroid to the point of basically bolting on "Metroid" is enough to sell? And what cost will this be to bad press and negative response from fans who were expecting something faithful to the franchise identity, and were these fans ultimately the ones fuelling franchise sales?

I don't think any Metroid fan is adverse to the series exploring new ideas, both in design and narrative. This is important for any franchise, to keep them fresh. But it's disheartening to think the best direction, after over eleven years of absence, is suggested to be something that massively detracts from the core identity. Of course long time fans are going to be hostile towards these suggestions, because the suggests just seem to imply the person in question doesn't want a Metroid Prime or Metroid game. What they want is Samus, the Metroid universe, in a game that distances itself from what defines Metroid. In reality we got three of those already; Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid Other M, and Metroid Federation Force. And generally, look how well they were received and sold.

So yeah, look; I hope Prime 4 introduces some new ideas. I hope it takes us to surprising new places. I hope that there are some modern steps forward in control and feel of the games. I'm sure there's room to evolve the formula forward in interesting ways, including those unexpected and maybe even a little worrying at first that will in practice compliment and rejuvenate the Metroid formula. I think keeping an open mind is important, with all franchises. But it's equally important, in my opinion, that to retain satisfaction from the core fanbase of a franchise that is arguably inherently niche, that decisions aren't made to direct the title in such a way that the innate identity of Metroid is inherently eroded.

This is honestly the most difficult thing with "video games" versus other media. When we think fictional universes, franchises, or whatever collective of ideas and characters and worlds and lore and whatever, we tend to associate the identity of this "universe" with the specific narrative aspects of that universe. The heroes and villains, and the lore. Because that's what we do with film and literature. Games are different though, because a franchise or series identity is at minimum equally but arguably more importantly defined through the design in of itself; how it is structured, how it plays, and how the experience of interactive evokes certain moods, themes, and feelings. It's why you can't necessarily take a franchise, drastically change how it plays, call it a mainline title and expect people to be happy. If someone loves The Legend of Zelda and Nintendo tries to play off Hyrule Warriors as a mainline game...of course people would be crushed. If The Last of Us 2 was an open world RPG with create-a-character, of course the core fanbase would probably be disappointed at the change in direction. If Gran Turismo added arcade-like item use and dialled back the vehicle complexity...or Halo was transformed into a third person cover shooter...or whatever else. These changes wont necessarily indicate a bad video game, but the cynicism and rejection from the fanbase would come from a very honest and frankly valid place.

This post has gone on way longer and much more of a ramble than I intended, but I'm sure people see my point. If we assume Prime 4 doesn't land until mid 2019 minimum, we're looking at twelve goddamn years since Metroid Prime 3. You can't dig up a series with such pedigree, and such a loyal, committed fanbase, release a marketed sequel or continuation twelve years after the last entry, in a series that is already notorious for fucking around its own identity, to the point of arguably only having one faithful title in Samus Returns last year in that entire twelve year arc, and make enormous, identity defining changes, wash your hands, and go "hey we needed more money and this is what people want". Because I can guarantee a vast majority of Metroid fans would be quite happy for Nintendo to halve the budget and scope if it meant the end result was more actual Metroid.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Funny how for Mario and Zelda everyone is like "more story!!" and Miyamoto is like "nuh uh!".

And for Metroid Sakamoto is like "more story!!" and people are like "nuh uh!".

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They just have to follow my lead, then?
Didn't help previous games. Nor did it help other single player, first person games like Prey or Dishonored. Both of these studios are now pivoted towards gaas-y multiplayer games. That's not to say Metroid will do poorly or will become a multiplayer title. But given the market, simply doing better than MP1 will happen by virtue of being on the switch. Doing well enough to become a more long-term staple? Something has to change, and what that is might put it at odds with long-time fans

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
In the time between console Metroid releases, Nintendo has created a competitive shooter series that's more successful than any Metroid multiplayer could be. That's not to say that multiplayer couldn't be in MP4, and it could be cool if implemented well, but I don't think it's the crux of things.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think multiplayer is the way to build Metroid to a larger audience too. Single player can have modern advancements for everything we love. It'll be on a larger scope compared to Prime 3.

I mean I already expect it to be the best selling Metroid game ever just on Switch momentum alone. Single player should always be the focus and multiplayer is where they should take the risks.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is hard, As muich as I love Metroid, I realize that Metroid as it is, has only so much potential for sales. Unless things have really changed since the days of the Wii.... I mean, actually they have, and single player games tend to be even worse off.

I would welcome some experimentation, with the assumption that we've all forgotten that Other M existed.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I think multiplayer is the way to build Metroid to a larger audience too. Single player can have modern advancements for everything we love. It'll be on a larger scope compared to Prime 3.

I mean I already expect it to be the best selling Metroid game ever just on Switch momentum alone. Single player should always be the focus and multiplayer is where they should take the risks.
Agree 100%, I fucking love splatoon but the 1 area nintendo is missing is a competetive multiplayer that resonates in a big way in the West, Metroid could easily fill the void.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that Prime 3 is the creepiest in the trilogy just because of the two locations below:

-The abandoned Metroid facility in SkyTown
-The derelict GFS Valhalla

4l0d0dU.jpg

It definitely had some creepy and atmsopheric locations, but the first two were consistent across the board so their atmospheres reign supreme in my mind. It was constant throughout the game

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree 100%, I fucking love splatoon but the 1 area nintendo is missing is a competetive multiplayer that resonates in a big way in the West, Metroid could easily fill the void.
Yes. Do that for Metroid. They've done a great job for Splatoon. Splatoon caters more to a a Japanese audience. Dudes in the west love their FPS shooters. Hell they buy COD at a record rate when Activision took out a single player campaign lol (I know Battle Royale helped a lot).

Take the risks with Metroid online. Make it catered for a western audience. So many people nowadays don't give a crap about single player.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
A ZSS Metal Gear-clone spin-off would be cool. Make the bounty hunters the extravagant bosses

Maybe even get Kojima himself to do it lol, though that might have some Other M-esque consequences to Samus' character again

Last edited:

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Pretty much all I want for this game is Prime 1 with a bigger map, sexe graphics, more powerups, and very improved combat. Not even a massive overhaul. Just gimme more guns than the charge beam, make a beam combo system, make samus a bit more mobile, more options and more dangerous enemys.
Ultimately though, if this game doesn't remind me of Prime 1, I'm gonna be deeply disappointed.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much all I want for this game is Prime 1 with a bigger map, sexe graphics, more powerups, and very improved combat. Not even a massive overhaul. Just gimme more guns than the charge beam, make a beam combo system, make samus a bit more mobile, more options and more dangerous enemys.
Ultimately though, if this game doesn't remind me of Prime 1, I'm gonna be deeply disappointed.
If I had to make a guess going off of Tanabe's comments I'd say it'll be 70% Metroid Prime 1 with one world, huge map, tons of atmospheric moments. But I'd say 30% of Metroid Prime 3 with Voice Acting, more characters with Sylux and Federation intertwined. There will be more story than just scanning. More cutscenes implemented.

Gameplay I'd guess is similar with some more action elements included and Samus might move faster and more morphball scenarios. Graphics are going to be beautiful (we already know this from Vern last year).

Status
Not open for further replies.