Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I think weekly releases will help for some prestige shows, everyone wants the 'next GoT' that is has become an annoying cliche, but it's difficult to gather as much cultural capital when dropping a whole series in one day. Stranger Things S3 dropped 8 weeks ago, but it feels so far in the past and not relevant for discussion anymore. If it was airing week by week, it would probably be dominating still.

The binge nature of Netfilx was a huge part of why they became big, and they definitely shouldn't drop it, but I think they can make some smart choices for specific shows. That has been done for shows like Better Call Saul by necessity here in the UK.

I wonder if they try to get countdowns going for episodes, encouraging live watching (and by extension live tweeting) which can't really be done if dropped at midnight or 7am or something. Even week by week, everyone will watch it as slightly different times.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eight pages in and it's clear only a fraction of the people who posted in this thread have any idea what is actually happening. Christ. Instant hot take reactions to a headline without actually checking the content of an article or what it's about in particular.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Maybe Netflix is doing a trial. They face a threat to subscriptions from Disney+ in particular, and something like this could reduce the number of people subbing for 1 month to binge a new show the instant it launches.

The model Hulu did for Four Weddings is reasonable. They launched with four episodes, then there's a new episode every Wednesday. I think Netflix has missed opportunities for free marketing by launching entire seasons at once. That's one event. Game of Thrones was an event every Sunday. I'm not saying I prefer the cadence of weekly, that's too slow for my preference, but OTOH bingeing a 10 hour season on day one isn't healthy for consumers, it's annoying trying to avoid spoilers from those people, and for Netflix it means the event has passed and subscribers may be dropping until the next big series launch. Slow it down a notch.

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
When you throw a show up immediately, what usually ends up happening is you get people watching for a week, talking for about a week or two, month at most, then the discussion disappears and it fades into obscurity.

Also, the wait between seasons seems waaaaay longer by releasing all episodes of a series at once.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Good. They screwed over a lot of fans previously because they'd do this in certain regions but not others, like with Terrace House's new season.