Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Netflix is looking to switch up its binge release method.

While the streaming giant is almost always known to release an entire season of a show at once—permitting viewers to watch the whole thing in one sitting or pace themselves—Netflix has decided to release some series on a weekly basis, ComicBook reports.

The next season of The Great British Baking Show—its seventh batch of episodes—is the first show to implement the new weekly treatment. Currently only one installment from the new collection is available to watch, with the program showing dates for upcoming episodes. Viewers can keep up with the reality competition as they would on regular cable.

Netflix's new show Rhythm & Flow will also receive the same treatment. Featuring T.I. Cardi B, and Chance the Rapper as judges, the rap competition will be released in groups every week. The first four episodes will drop on Oct. 9, then episodes 5-7 will air Oct. 16, and the season will wrap with episodes 8-10 on Oct. 23. The series aims to find the next big hip-hop artist with the help of T.I., Chance, and Cardi.

Netflix stipulates that "weekly release of licensed titles (like Great British Baking Show) isn't new and in hopes of keeping Rhythm + Flow's winner a surprise, we're trying something new! But not happening with more shows than that."

I can see it making sense for certain kinds of shows

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Would be great for stuff that's currently airing on TV instead of having to wait a few months after the season ends.

_swee_

Oct 26, 2017
Portland OR
Yea, I was looking forward to the new episodes of the Great British Baking show and then it said weekly. I was like wtf is this

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
For reality competition and late night shows its makes sense. Even some serialized shows would benefit from a weekly release so it could actually stay in the conversation/build buzz.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Binging shows is one my fav thing to do. I guess that's one way for them to try and keep subscribed monthly for stranger things. Meh.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Basically anything actually airing weekly in another country, especially something with an established fan base, should be a no-brainer. Ripe for piracy, that. Competition shows are a doubly obvious candidate for weeklies.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
That Disney+ effect, I hate this, I love Netflix's current method of content drops and just giving it all at once, a shame to me personally

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fine being able to legally watch GBBO episodes the week they air in the UK instead of having to wait for a dump later in the year. It makes sense for competition shows I guess.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
There is so much TV to watch now. I cannot keep up. They drop a full season and I never binge watch because there's another right around the corner. I want to watch a lot of shows.

All shows become bingeable eventually. So I guess it doesn't matter, but it makes conversations about these shows harder to participate in.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think some shows can benefit from it.

I feel like it'd also make it easier to stretch content out over a longer period of time, but who knows. Like, Stranger Things 3 stays in the public consciousness longer. Maybe not, but maybe.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Binging shows is one my fav thing to do. I guess that's one way for them to try and keep subscribed monthly for stranger things. Meh.

Pretty much this. Having recently watched Mindhunters and Carnival Row at 1 ep./day, it would be shitty for an online streaming service to go the way of the cable. Defeats the purpose other than trying to retain consumers for the duration of the number of episodes.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do I misunderstand the end of that article? Makes it sound like it's not happening with other, non-reality type shows:

Netflix stipulates that "weekly release of licensed titles (like Great British Baking Show) isn't new and in hopes of keeping Rhythm + Flow's winner a surprise, we're trying something new! But not happening with more shows than that.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
This is good for anime, fans don't wanna wait 6 months for a show to finish airing in Japan for Netflix to put the entire thing up at once. It'll reduce piracy

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Are any of these made by Netflix themselves? Because internationally, Netflix have been doing this for years with shows they've bought the international rights to but air weekly back in the US.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I had a feeling this was coming. It keeps people subbed who would binge a month and then cancel, but fucks those of us who have been loyal subscribers for years pretty hard.

TBH, one of the benefits for me of Netflix was the binge option. Without it, I'm fine just cancelling for a year or so, waiting til they throw me a free month, then binge everything I missed during that time.

Edit: If it's only reality TV stuff, I'm fine with that.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Come on now. Why sell someone a one month subscription when you can keep them hanging for THREE months!

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
yeah thats great for reality shows, hope it doesn't hit their first party created drama/comedy series cuz that would suuuuuck

i wonder if it does mean that shows they license (100, etc) would drop weekly instead of waiting until the season ends though

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
This makes me actively disinterested in watching a show, at least until most of, or all of, the season is out. The only exception is shows that are huge cultural events such as Game of Thrones. I guarantee you no one is going to be saying "Yo did you catch last night's Rhythm & Flow??" at the water cooler, at least where I work.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
it completely makes sense to do this for a show like the great british baking show. i imagine they'll still drop all the eps at once for their other non reality competing shows.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
This might actually encourage me to watch more shows. I don't like binge watching, but if I stop watching something I will fall out of it and forget about it, but if I'm reminded, or am able to set myself up to watch something ever week then I'd likely be more likely to watch something again.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish but I mean Netflix says right there that it's "not happening" outside of shows that are licensed and appear on Netflix when they air elsewhere as has always been the case. The alternative is waiting until after the original run wraps up anyway so you are free to still do that.

Did someone expect that they would release all of the current season of a reality contest show ahead of the episodes actually airing on TV?

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Makes sense for those kind of shows. If they start doing it with traditional tv shows, they can piss off.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lets give up one of our selling points, because everyone else is doing it and people will sub anyway.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Why are people saying this is a response to Disney?

It clearly seems aimed at reality tv

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
They should do it for The Witcher

iu

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't get the backlash, unless they are going to intentionally delay it to release it like this. Otherwise release as they go rather than save it up until the end, especially for stuff like anime. Lets you get word of mouth and keeps it "new" instead of dumping everything at once and letting it get buried. And those that prefer to binge can just wait until everything is released and watch it then (though let's be honest, it's going to just go on your backlist)

A side effect of this is that it actually promotes discussion on forums like this, where everyone can be reasonably assumed to be at the same place.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I would like this with more shows. It's completely ridiculous and stifles talk to wake up the day of release of a show only to see a ton of people literally finished hours afterwards. So no one can talk about it.

If you wanna binge there's nothing stopping you from doing it at the last episode.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
This is the only way they can generate discussion for their shows. I watched S3 of Stranger Things and barely anyone at work talk about it. Show was forgotten about a week or two. Completely different for GOT there was discussion and huge anticipation for each episode.

Witcher is gonna be a weekly show, I bet.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know how to feel about this but for a subscription service this always made more sense. You want to hook people to your platform, not have them subscribe for one month, binge the show and then cancel again