• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in North Andover, my friends and family are safe, but this is pretty wild. Never thought I would see places I recognize on the news like this.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
They better not have an arbitration clause in their contracts. Or a court voids them if they do.

So the press conference is an hour late....

All public schools are closed tomorrow. Shocking news.
I mean doesnt every contract have arbitration now? Potentially dealing with something involving arbitratio soon and I hate it. It's a terrible way to do business

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I meant that sort of sarcastically lol.

Anyway my family is from up that way although no one lives there anymore my mother's been texting me about it for the last half hour. No deaths reported but judging by the pictures it would seem only a matter of time right?
There's a handful of people at local hospitals, a few in critical condition. No more explosions with the power being out and people being evacuated. But no deaths yet.

It was pretty much at the best time of day in terms of preventing mass casualties. Right around rush hour when most people aren't home. Many of the houses were slow burns so people were able to get out.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Press conference is a huge nothingburger. No new information. Governor and the mayor/city managers all spoke.

andylsun

Oct 29, 2017
They are saying very little other than the immediate safety issues and evacuation. I assume the answers of what and why this happened will take quite a while.

It's going to be scary as hell to turn the power back on to the towns without checking every building first. That's gonna take a while

alias bean

Oct 27, 2017
Live in Andover on the border of Lawrence, no gas line in my home so we're safe. In-laws house has one though so they're staying here for the night.

Pretty crazy here, feels like a Walking Dead episode.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Holy shit. I used to work in Andover :( I hope people are ok.

Edit: Columbia Gas is reported as the supplier with the issue. They have 51,000 customers according to the news.

I'm betting the executives at National Grid are checking their stock options as we speak. Given the number of signs I've seen in the area about the gas leaks in Boston/Cambridge

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Holy shit. I used to work in Andover :( I hope people are ok.

I'm betting the executives at National Grid are checking their stock options as we speak. Given the number of signs I've seen in the area about the gas leaks in Boston/Cambridge

Whats worse is since they locked out their workers, theres no one to send to help which is what would typically happen in an emergency like this.

Pretty crazy news night between this and the hurricane. Humanity and mother nature both testing our crumbling infrastructure and thinly stretched municipal and state services.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Don't live near the affected areas but do live in MA and have been watching the local news and keeping up with this most of the evening. So awful, my thoughts to all the families affected and R.I.P to the poor 18yo. Was really hoping that there wouldn't be any deaths from this awful situation but sadly it seems there has been :(

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RIP to the man who passed away. Everything really can end in an instant.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The 18-year-old who died was in the car with two of his friends, who are still hospitalized. They were celebrating because he got his driver's license today.

I'm going to fucking cry.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Friends of mine live in Lawrence and are thankfully safe.

The entire thing is so surreal; it's weird and tragic to think about that kind of thing just... happening, suddenly.

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
I hope no one else is seriously hurt.

I quit working for the that gas company last month, it was for a different state though.

Scary stuff.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They over pressurized the NG lines?? is that what happened? they'll have to inspect EVERY line if so..this is crazy

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Every building that could have been affected has to have their gas service turned off, then inspected, then turned on later by the gas company. 8,000 buildings.
This is correct, read that this morning on the local news site. That's gonna take a long time. And will mean no hot water or heat (the latter isn't really an issue though) for those homes until then. Completely fucked.

Hopefully they will be able to call in inspectors from other states and companies to speed things along.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I think the wildest part of this whole story is the sheer number of people in Boston who don't even know what went down yesterday. I've had to recap this story to a few people already today.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
That's gonna take a long time. And will mean no hot water or heat (the latter isn't really an issue though) for those homes until then.

How long until the first frost? October or November right? They've got a lot of homes to inspect, hopefully they can do them all in time but it feels like it'll be tight.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the wildest part of this whole story is the sheer number of people in Boston who don't even know what went down yesterday. I've had to recap this story to a few people already today.

Those places are 35 miles/45 minutes away from the city. Who cares what happens outside 95/128. It's like if anything happened in Auburn or Milford, no one really cares. Might as well be some town in Alaska...lolz

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Coworker of mine was evacuated. Really scary.

It's terrible that the one teenager was killed, and in such a freak way, but also a small miracle that not more people were killed... Especially in the houses that simply exploded.

As a natural gas customer it's pretty damn scary too, to see a house literally burned to the ground for something that's completely out of your control.