• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
This shit sounds like the best game ever made idk about yall

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
ngl kinda bummed you only actually control clive
i hoped they would design with ff7r combat as the base

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
HELLO?
Screenshot_20220621-232758.jpg

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Single playable character with AI controlled party members is a good thing imo as long as the AI works well. I'd rather one character that is polished than several which aren't.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
ngl kinda bummed you only actually control clive
i hoped they would design with ff7r combat as the base
Not surprising when the DMC combat lead is heading this one but they haven't clarified if the party members at least are customizable with gear etc so theres at least some strategy to it

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
So similar to how Kingdom Hearts and pre-patched FFXV worked for party members then? It's not as good as how VII Remake handles it but it's definitely better than nothing. I'll take it. I care a lot more about how party members impact the writing and story-telling than how they impact gameplay, so this is at least somewhat of a win.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
playable character with AI controlled party members is a good thing imo as long as the AI works well. I'd rather one character that is polished than several which aren't.

Yep, designing only one playable character in combat is what Ryota Suzuki is known for and he does it better than anyone else on the planet.

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
I worry the Eikon fights will be the type of encounters that give you temporary control over a character you have no familiarity with, intending to make you feel powerful, but end up taking you out of the moment as you fumble through new controls or mash through what amount to a playable cutscene. Like the late game fights in MGS4 for example.

Huge fan of XIV though so hoping I'm wrong.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
He also said he had to remove some stuff out of the UI to not spoil people. So that's why we saw Shiva attack the Liquid flame so Jill was the ai companion. I knew it. I'm so hyped for FFXVI now. All I had to hear is that there is a party. I dont care if playable or not.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Ai only party how incredibly disappointing and to do this shit with 2 mainline FF in a row is actually straight up unbelievable what a sad direction of this series

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Glad they finally cleared the party aspect so people can dismiss the game already, o process it the entire year until it comes out.

I personally have no problems with it, I mean XIV is one of my favs and you "almost" entirely control one guy.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Look, if we trade off between CBU1's RTWP/Pseudo Action gameplay and CBU3's full on DMC RPG with AI party members for the next decade or so, I'll be a happy camper.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
> Not open-world
> Party
> KH team helped
> Pro-wrestling summons

Just insert it into my veins.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The first good FF since 12 is coming....from some of the people who brought us 12 in the first place. Poetry. Can't wait to use my PS5 again.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The team only needs to focus all their efforts on combat mechanics for one character so the combat system will be top notch

As long as you like that style of play. If you're not into it, it'll be agony. That's the double-edged sword. Imagine being trapped playing as V for 30 hours in DMCV.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Glad they finally cleared the party aspect so people can dismiss the game already, o process it the entire year until it comes out.

I personally have no problems with it, I mean XIV is one of my favs and you "almost" entirely control one guy.
There'll be some anger, but I think this actually softens the blow quite a bit. FFXV didn't have controllable party members at launch, and there was some discussion over it (enough that the playable characters were added later), but it turned out to be a relatively moot point in the end. The game is divisive for much larger reasons than that nowadays.

I think people were more worried that FFXVI was abandoning the concept of the party entirely, which thankfully doesn't seem to be the case now.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
A Great FF game incoming. Fully trust YoshiP and his team.

Every detail coming out has been music to my ears.

GoGo Nabrai

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2022
So I guess we need to wait for the VII Remake team to make a new mainline FF game to get a new FF with playable parties. See you in like 10 years I guess.

Maybe Team Asano will get it's chance at a mainline FF for older fans.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if there are opportunities to take control of these ai companions for story beats where Clive is elsewhere. XIV has been doing that for a while where you play as one of the scions. Haven't played XV, but I understand some of the dlc was similar in concept.

The eikon fights being different genres/concepts sounds cool, but they'll have to be careful with how they're intro'd/tutorialized. Seems like something that'll be divisive no matter how well it's done.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
From the Washington Post:

"Fighting won't be a solo experience, contrary to how it appears in the trailer. The main character, Clive, will be accompanied by several AI-controlled party members who will banter and connect throughout the game, similar to past Final Fantasy games."

WOOOOHOOOO!! So it's definitely a party game narratively, and gameplay-wise it could be similar to XV? Works for me!

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I will say that I wont rule out playing as the others in story segments. In FFXIV starting with Stormblood, Yoshi P started allowing the other Scions to be playable in certain story sections. So yeah DONT RULE IT OUT yet.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to start showing us another side of Clive more because no controllable party and having two mainline single player games with no controllable women is a big downer even if people here like to downplay it. He just comes off as generically stoic / angry white guy and the trailers and if this is the character I have to spend most of the game with, I would like to see more of why I should care about him.

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
Square and open world don't mix. I've learned that with my extreme disappointment with FFXV. I'm completely fine if they decide to do zone based or linear lol. Especially if it's Naoki Yoshida. Everything I've read from these is pure amazingness and I can't wait!

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
I'm glad that they at least confirmed that there'll be party members, as well as made it clear the fact that only Clive is controllable. I do think that, given the way they talked about hiding stuff, we might 'control' or at least unleash summons/Eikons of our party members during battle.

While I'd have preferred a fully controllable party, I'm not completely against only Clive being controllable. I love Mass Effect even if it doesn't allow us full control of the party, compared to Dragon Age or earlier BioWare titles.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
This officially confirms it will be 13 years and counting since a female character was playable in a FF mainline game and to do that after FF XV was focused on a entirely male main cast is unbelievable when some of the most popular FF characters are female characters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They need to start showing us another side of Clive more because no controllable party and having two mainline single player games with no controllable women is a big downer even if people here like to downplay it. He just comes off as generically stoic / angry white guy and the trailers and if this is the character I have to spend most of the game with, I would like to see more of why I should care about him.

So far he does seem pretty aggressively boring, especially post-timeskip. I'm not sure what his secret sauce is supposed to be because right now it's just like you said - generic angry murder boy.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeah this is sounding AMAZING.

Crisis Core, XVI and Rebirth with like, not much more than a 6-month interval between each? I'm very excited.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
So far he does seem pretty aggressively boring, especially post-timeskip. I'm not sure what his secret sauce is supposed to be because right now it's just like you said - generic angry murder boy.

How can you come to this conclusion when adult Clive literally hasn't even opened his mouth except for that one line?

In one of the interviews, Yoshida said the third trailer will focus on the story/world/lore. It seems quite unfair to judge the main character, who will have thousands of lines, when we've only heard one.