Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
4Gamer makes it sound a bit different than Famitsu when it comes to the 4 areas:

Reading Famitsu I was imagining something like 4 White Orchard (Witcher 3) areas, but I don't think that's the right idea.

Maybe it's more like FFXIII with 4 Gran Pulse areas instead?
From how it sounds with four large areas and other areas, there's going to be smaller areas, perhaps in between those larger areas, or like areas between mountain ranges, bottleneck areas, and smaller fields. From the look of the map, the four large areas could be the Rosaria area, Dhalmekia area, Sanbreque area, and Waloed area.

k539qBj.jpg

If we go to the Iron Kingdom or the Northern Territories, they could be made up of smaller areas given how mountainous they are.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
It's great how much CBU1 and CBU3 clearly respect each other, learn from each other, and where possible work with each other.

XVI and VII Rebirth are going to be excellent. What a 12 months it'll be.

Apr 9, 2018
Or, you know, people enjoy party members they can control, rather than relying on an AI to make decisions.

Uncharted is an incredibly poor comparison to use considering y'know, it isn't an RPG, nor remotely similar in any way at all.

It's not a narrative reason for wanting control of party members, but a gameplay one. Many people enjoy using each member to get a variety of different play styles, abilities and strategies. Locking you to a single character reduces player agency and effectively locks strategy to what your single character can do, relying on AI to do the rest. It's somewhat acceptable if there is some sort of gambit system, but outright AI, just sucks, to be frank

It's a strange decision considering they have an excellent approach to this in one of their most recent games already (FFVII:Remake) which no doubt they'll be using going forward too
Except we don't know any of this, we don't know how many different play styles, strategies, customisation options there are on this single character. Just because it's a single character doesn't mean there can't be a TON of gameplay options, Monster Hunter being one of the better examples.

Locking you to a single character has no effect on player agency, the AI could simply be support and narrative focused, and have minimal impact on the gameplay, we literally do not know, we've seen 7 minutes of this game. The Eikon swapping system could provide us with the same paradigms as controlling a multi role party, albeit without the positional changes. We simply don't know. I for one will see what they give us and judge it then, not judge it for something it's not which is just plain silly 🙃

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Mar 15, 2019

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Except we don't know any of this, we don't know how many different play styles, strategies, customisation options there are on this single character. Just because it's a single character doesn't mean there can't be a TON of gameplay options, Monster Hunter being one of the better examples.
We know for sure now that Clive will have a skill tree for each Eikon and that players will have the option to respec at any point in order to experiment and settle on a playstyle suitable for them. This seems pretty promising to me!

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Locking you to a single character has no effect on player agency, the AI could simply be support and narrative focused, and have minimal impact on the gameplay, we literally do not know, we've seen 7 minutes of this game. The Eikon swapping system could provide us with the same paradigms as controlling a multi role party, albeit without the positional changes. We simply don't know. I for one will see what they give us and judge it then, not judge it for something it's not which is just plain silly 🙃

How on earth would limiting control to one character (whilst keeping the others entirely AI controlled, with no Gambit like system) not have an impact on player agency? It literally limits you to only controlling one member of however many there is. That's literally a limitation.

The player character may have a variety of different abilities, skills and the like, the reality being that you are -likely- not able to utilise all of them at once on a single character. This limits your options for strategy, to what you can use at any one time.

Having an entire party that you are able to control will naturally give you more options. I am unsure why anyone would try to argue this is a positive move when we literally have an example of full player control (with AI control support) as an option working brilliantly well in FFVII:Remake

I just don't agree that limiting player control is a benefit

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The skill tree is just gonna be the usual shit you get in all games now

not expecting any depth where you have to actually think about it.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Having an entire party that you are able to control will naturally give you more options. I am unsure why anyone would try to argue this is a positive move when we literally have an example of full player control (with AI control support) as an option working brilliantly well in FFVII:Remake

Even with a controllable party you are never playing different characters at the same time. They are taking turns. There is no difference in terms of gameplay options between switching between characters (as you do in FF1-10, 12, 7R) and switching between different gameplay styles as you do here. You are for all intents and purposes switching between characters. The only difference is in terms of presentation.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
How on earth would limiting control to one character (whilst keeping the others entirely AI controlled, with no Gambit like system) not have an impact on player agency? It literally limits you to only controlling one member of however many there is. That's literally a limitation.

The player character may have a variety of different abilities, skills and the like, the reality being that you are -likely- not able to utilise all of them at once on a single character. This limits your options for strategy, to what you can use at any one time.

I personally prefer games in which you don't have all the options available to you at all times. I like creating a unique build that suits my playstyle. It helps make me feel like my experience of the game is more unique rather than being the exact same as what every other player is doing. This type of design also makes repeat playthroughs more fun and engaging for me.

I understand where you are coming from though. It is definitely still possible to design party-based rpg games in which you can have unique builds. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that having all the options isn't always that fun for everyone. I personally hate it when you're able to unlock everything in a skill tree by the end of a game as at that point there is little to make your experience feel unique.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Even with a controllable party you are never playing different characters at the same time. They are taking turns. There is no difference in terms of gameplay options between switching between characters (as you do in FF1-10, 12, 7R) and switching between different gameplay styles as you do here. You are for all intents and purposes switching between characters. The only difference is in terms of presentation.

?? - Taking turns, or switching. As long it's between different characters, it gives the ability to try different play styles in the same battle. And have various options. I'm not sure what your point is? I'm not arguing for turn based battles.

I personally prefer games in which you don't have all the options available to you at all times. I like creating a unique build that suits my playstyle. It helps make me feel like my experience of the game is more unique rather than being the exact same as what every other player is doing. This type of design also makes repeat playthroughs more fun and engaging for me.

I understand where you are coming from though. It is definitely still possible to design party-based rpg games in which you can have unique builds. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that having all the options isn't always that fun for everyone. I personally hate it when you're able to unlock everything in a skill tree by the end of a game as at that point there is little to make your experience feel unique.

I get that, and absolutely don't think everything should be available at all times, but I think limiting your agency to one character (with respecs, it seems) isn't the best way either

I'm just a big fan of the options and choice in previous Final Fantasy games

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
?? - Taking turns, or switching. As long it's between different characters, it gives the ability to try different play styles in the same battle. And have various options. I'm not sure what your point is? I'm not arguing for turn based battles.
In this game you are switching between different play styles, it's just that your character is still Clive. In terms of gameplay options there is zero difference between switching between different characters with a different play style, and switching between Clive having different play styles. It's a purely aesthetic difference.

Yakumo Fuji

Apr 22, 2019
Absolutely not a fan of not having a controllable party - it's what I most loved about Final Fantasy and RPGs in general.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
In this game you are switching between different play styles, it's just that your character is still Clive. In terms of gameplay options there is zero difference between switching between different characters with a different play style, and switching between Clive having different play styles. It's a purely aesthetic difference.

I find it unlikely you'll be respeccing during a battle. Having options available during the same encounter/section/whatever is the benefit in having multiple characters. I would be incredibly surprised if you could alter entire skill sets, equipment etc in the midst of battle… and if you can, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just allow control of characters then, instead of making a single character with everything.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Nearly everything about this game sounds amazing, the party members being AI only is a bit disappointing, but if that means Clive will have a massive and thorough move set, I'm all for it.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is sounding less like it is fully open world which I'm pleased to hear. I just hope it is tied together in some elegant way, and not just choose where to go fasttravel kinda way.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I find it unlikely you'll be respeccing during a battle. Having options available during the same encounter/section/whatever is the benefit in having multiple characters. I would be incredibly surprised if you could alter entire skill sets, equipment etc in the midst of battle… and if you can, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just allow control of characters then, instead of making a single character with everything.
With a controllable party you will have some games like VIIR and even VII where you can fully customise every character giving you an incredible amount of choice.

Then you have games like IX or X where each character has a set utility and it's more about working out when you should use each character and what the relative strengths and weaknesses of each are. XVI looks to be more like the latter.

And as for why they chose to make it a single character instead of a party, that's what I mean about it being an aesthetic choice. There's nothing about it being a single character ARPG that limits the amount of choice compared to a party based game as explained above.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yes I don't trust square for anything after 20 years of disappointment
Who knows what will happen, but paired with Yoshida mentioning towns in the interview, there's this:
Landscapes_of_FFXVI_-_1.png

Landscapes_of_FFXVI_-_4.png

The map has a shitton of villages and towns, all of the icons being unique. It's a lot, though, so who knows how many we'll be able to visit (and how many are simply dungeons/destroyed):
vfymv4u6ge391.jpg

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
With a controllable party you will have some games like VIIR and even VII where you can fully customise every character giving you an incredible amount of choice.

Then you have games like IX or X where each character has a set utility and it's more about working out when you should use each character and what the relative strengths and weaknesses of each are. XVI looks to be more like the latter.

And as for why they chose to make it a single character instead of a party, that's what I mean about it being an aesthetic choice. There's nothing about it being a single character ARPG that limits the amount of choice compared to a party based game as explained above.

Unless you can respec, switch abilities and gear during battle then your point just doesn't make sense. FFX is the direction you're saying this is similar to, but the "respec" during battle is the ability to switch to another character… something that isn't available if you can't switch to another character. If you -are- allowed to respec/change gear/class etc during battle, then yes, your point does stand, and it would essentially come down to an aesthetic choice.

Ignoring that in itself, making light of characters having their own identity, often tied to their combat style, is itself a negative… the likelihood of being able to do the respec equivalent to another character would give, mid-battle, is extremely slim.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
"Final Fantasy is just a name stuck to a game that we made thinking "This is the best game", and if there is no need to be the successor, then there is no need to flatter the predecessor. If we make a game that we think is the best game, then that makes it "Final Fantasy" - Kitase.
This bit from Famitsu interview is especially funny after reading through a thread full of discussions about what different people consider as their "Final Fantasy", meanwhile Kitase, the FF brand manager, just went "yeah, it's just a name we slap on our best game so just do whatever you want lol".

Yoshida told Nomura that he wanted to add Limit Breaks in FFXIV, and Nomura told him; "You don't have to force yourself to match things, just do what you want to do". And with that, Yoshida decided to make the series' first "fan service" FF game, and made FFXIV with the "FF theme park" concept.
Nomura telling Yoshida he doesn't have to follow what other FF did made Yoshida decided that he'll cram everything FF into his game lol.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This bit from Famitsu interview is especially funny after reading through a thread full of discussions about what different people consider as their "Final Fantasy", meanwhile Kitase, the FF brand manager, just went "yeah, it's just a name we slap on our best game so just do whatever you want lol".
PlanetSmasher out there, somewhere fuming.

alexdotgames

Dec 5, 2021
  • The story is said to progress at the speed of a rollercoaster
  • You can explore and take your time or beeline through the story
  • Story Mode with accessories to slow down time, auto-combo and other buffs
  • Action mode for action fans, but they can still use these accessories, however the game will show that you use it in the UI (perks)
  • It will have a score system for beating stages possibly like DMC (boss fights or specific levels into the game I wager)

Ufff. The story bit sounds to me like a lot of drama and exposition, no foundation. Honestly, I love Japanese storytelling because they take their time and slowly increase the stakes. If I'd wanted a high octane action story I go watch the MCU or play literally any Western (action) game. Sad to see SE still trying to make Final Fantasy the most-western JRPG they can conjure.

And I hate scoring systems. What are they supposed to achieve other than segregate the player base in good or bad players and be incredibly judgy? And then underscore your judgyness by reminding the player they are playing in story mode with big bold letters? Reminding them at every turn that they are playing the game wrong ? Cut that bullshit!

They need to start showing us another side of Clive more because no controllable party and having two mainline single player games with no controllable women is a big downer even if people here like to downplay it. He just comes off as generically stoic / angry white guy and the trailers and if this is the character I have to spend most of the game with, I would like to see more of why I should care about him.

This is bothering me as well. From all the shade they are throwing to the troubled FF15 and the lessons they've learned, I cannot believe they seemingly haven't learned anything about how they treated Luna in that game. I really like FF15 and appreciate a lot the game was trying to do (including the much panned boy band party premise) but the game's treatment of its female cast is its biggest fault. Nevermind that it is an all-white cast. From the stuff we've seen yet, FF16 isn't sparking trust in SE's progress here.

Gamespot:

Are there plans to support the world with tertiary lore material, or is it more self-contained?

Currently, there are no plans to create anything, for example, like a lore book like we had in Final Fantasy XIV. So, the development team is currently working really hard to make the final release of the game a complete experience so that no other tertiary content will be required to enjoy or understand it. And so, how the story and the narrative progresses is that we follow the life of Clive Rossville through three different stages: his teens, his 20s, and his 30s.

And because we're covering such a large amount of time with those jumps, it's safe to say that a lot will be happening in the background with regards to the state of the realm. And while we have a few side quests available in the game that will touch upon what's going on in the world in the background in addition to that main scenario, we also will have these in-game compendiums, and a lot of stuff to read in-game that will hopefully help provide a lot of the lore to those people who wish to delve deeper into the game world.

I keep reading people interpreting this as time skips but this could also mean flashbacks with one timeline being the dominant and mainly played-in one.

A lack of an open world can be a benefit to the game. XV's world is absolutely lifeless when compared to XII's, and that's because of the sacrifices they made to make the open world for XV in the first place. Big thing they have to get right is the dungeons. Feels like a lot of the dungeons in the HD era of Final Fantasy have been a miss, most notably whatever the hell XV's were.

I don't get this. FF15's dungeons were the highpoint of the game and a delight. Stepping into Greyshire Glacial Grotto for the first time gave me huge flashbacks of the ice dungeons of FF1 and FF2. Pitioss Ruins is basically a piece of art.

I'll be honest, until we get a playable demo, I'm going to remain intensely skeptical that the combat won't feel like every other AAA action RPG out there.

Turn based RPGs don't ask the player to consistently be "on" and never make a single mistake for 15 straight minutes. Like fuck, devs, you realize people's HANDS get tired the older they get, right?

I completely agree. And I expand on that lamenting that the Dark-Souls-ification of everything in games the last 10 years feels like sucking all of the air out of the room. I get that DS is beloved and that particular gameplay has some merit to it but for all that is lovable, stop making everything a Souls-like.

the whole "eikon vs eikon fights will all be stylistically different thing" is giving big Nier energy lol. Especially the part about it turning into a shooter.

Yeah, this info and the "story/easy mode is handled by giving the player equipable items that let them auto-dodge etc." one really reminded me of Nier: Automata.

Found a reddit post with a summary of Famitsu's interview.

Reddit

In addition to the info we know from other news outlets this includes more info in regards to the story and development of the game.

I am reading these infos as SE wanting for Yoshida to leave FF14 after Heavensward with someone else taking over, but he went "nope, this is what I (re-)started and I will see it through the end". That is a good quality for a director/producer!

I am also cautiously optimistic seeing how Takai as director and Maehiro as main writer have been part of this from the start. As Heavensward is imo the best part of FF14 by far, this alleviates some reservations I have. FF14 goes into uncomfortable moral relativism territory that doesn't gel with how they present fascism and how they gloss over colonialism. On the other hand, reading this over at GameSpot still makes me cautious of them still presenting all opinions as being equally legitimate.

FF15 was very consciously about male friendships and masculinity, what overall themes is this game trying to express?

One of the main themes explored in Final Fantasy XVI's narrative deals with the inevitable clash of values and ideals when you get multiple different people with different ideals in the same room; what is truly right and what is truly wrong? Again, because we focus so much on their Dominants, and they have such a large part in this story, you're going to see how they think the world should be and what they think is right for the world. You're going to focus on those motivations and those struggles, and then, you're going to delve even deeper and into darker themes when it comes to how people should live; should people live the life that was chosen for them or fight to break free from that kind of destiny?

"It's a Malboro up ahead. I should use fire magic. Gotta make sure to avoid its breath though."

I mean, that is literally what Guerrilla Games did with Horizon 1&2.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I keep reading people interpreting this as time skips but this could also mean flashbacks with one timeline being the dominant and mainly played-in one.
I mean, he does specifically say "jumps" and that a lot is happening in the background with the state of the realm over those jumps. It would be weird to bring it up if it only involved minor flashbacks.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017

I hope it is like Rise of the Argonauts. Lots of fun going through the gods and finding your groove. Also based my party around what I speced in. Which was Apollo shield, Athena spear, and a bit of Hermes sword

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly skill trees are a terrible way of building up a character and I really don't understand why developers keep doing them. They aren't satisfying, they aren't fun to engage with, and they never feel like you're actually creating your own build because everyone always winds up using a guide anyway because the risk of fucking up irreparably by creating a sub-optimal skill loadout is too great.

(and yes, I'm aware this game has unlimited respecs, but that doesn't change the fact that the core system of a skill tree isn't fun)

ShaggyLobo

Jan 25, 2021
It's great how much CBU1 and CBU3 clearly respect each other, learn from each other, and where possible work with each other.

XVI and VII Rebirth are going to be excellent. What a 12 months it'll be.

Really flies in the face of the whole legacy of the crystals line being a dig at fabulla nova crystallis narrative, which always felt like juvenile fan projection and would reflect poorly on the devs.

Really excited for both games.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Really flies in the face of the whole legacy of the crystals line being a dig at fabulla nova crystallis narrative, which always felt like juvenile fan projection and would reflect poorly on the devs.

Really excited for both games.
I mean he politely dunked on XV in one of the interviews lol

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am unsure why anyone would try to argue this is a positive move when we literally have an example of full player control (with AI control support) as an option working brilliantly well in FFVII:Remake

To be fair, the game not being like 7R's combat is a huge positive for some. Me included.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Unless you can respec, switch abilities and gear during battle then your point just doesn't make sense. FFX is the direction you're saying this is similar to, but the "respec" during battle is the ability to switch to another character… something that isn't available if you can't switch to another character. If you -are- allowed to respec/change gear/class etc during battle, then yes, your point does stand, and it would essentially come down to an aesthetic choice.

Ignoring that in itself, making light of characters having their own identity, often tied to their combat style, is itself a negative… the likelihood of being able to do the respec equivalent to another character would give, mid-battle, is extremely slim.

Lightning Returns does this. I know basically nobody played that game but it let you make basically 3 custom loadouts with a ton of flexibility around what you wanted those 'jobs' to actually be and then swap between them on the fly in the middle of combat at needed, have all kinds of synergies etc.

It also is a decent example of how a single protagonist JRPG can work, though a lot of it leverages existing relationships from prior games, so maybe it's a higher hurdle for XVI to clear as far as characterization goes.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning Returns does this. I know basically nobody played that game but it let you make basically 3 custom loadouts with a ton of flexibility around what you wanted those 'jobs' to actually be and then swap between them on the fly in the middle of combat at needed, have all kinds of synergies etc.

It also is a decent example of how a single protagonist JRPG can work, though a lot of it leverages existing relationships from prior games, so maybe it's a higher hurdle for XVI to clear as far as characterization goes.
I love Lightning Returns combat system and I understand it works because it's single protagonist game... but I felt outside of the combat LR proved how bad single protagonist game worked here. It doesn't help that I think Lightning is very boring protagonist and that game's story isn't great... but you traveling alone in that game felt really boring, especially compared to previous XIII-2 where I really enjoyed Serah and Noel's dynamic traveling together.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I think the companion will be the small dragon from the 1st concept art.
Could be one of them if the little guy is still in for sure.

We have already seen Torgal, the wolf:
OWAoF7l.png

He'll definitely be one of those "buddy system" companions. I hope Benedikta, Hugo, Jill and whoever are too and that you can interact with them in combat.