Neutrality

Oct 29, 2017
Live on Maui and can confirm this is absolutely devastating.
If it reaches Kaanapali and takes the hotels down there then that's like 50% of our tourist industry gone.
But with the damage currently done in Lahaina so many livelihoods have been lost.

Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely horrible. I grew up on Maui and this is going to be devastating to the community for a long time.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
The support they're asking for is for people to stop coming.

To properly support, you'd want to rethink the trip.
I'm curious what solutions you two might have in mind. Do you both never travel to Hawaii?

I can guarantee you that by September, things are going to be nowhere near back to normal. Lahaina is not only a major tourist center, but also a bedroom community for a good section of the local population. It's going to take years to recover from this.
Yea, I figured it was a pie in the sky scenario. I can only hope everyone gets the relief and assistance they need during this period.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm curious what solutions you two might have in mind. Do you both never travel to Hawaii?

Wait until things are back to some sort of state of normalcy, go back and read up on what happened to Kauai due to Hurriance Iniki. Donate to relief efforts. Or if you go to another island support businesses that have branches there. Maui Brewing is on Oahu, Merrimans has spots on Kauai and Hawaii, and Ululani's is also on Hawaii.

ablaine

Lead Character Artist @ ArenaNet
Verified
Jul 29, 2022
This is so brutal. Maui is one of my favorite places I've visited -- and specifically Lahaina and Kaanapali. Hoping for safety and recovery for everyone over there. What a nightmare. :/

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Im shocked by all of this, is the island or are the islands not getting regular rain? I didn't even think something like this could happen I guess I just assumed that it rains regularly enough to prevent anything like this barring some kind of volcanic incident.

Is this a result of climate change?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Im shocked by all of this, is the island or are the islands not getting regular rain? I didn't even think something like this could happen I guess I just assumed that it rains regularly enough to prevent anything like this barring some kind of volcanic incident.

Combo of existing dry weather and winds from a hurricane.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

They said on the news that the Lahaina area is in extreme drought conditions at the moment. Kauai, Oahu and Hawaii for the most part aren't in drought conditions. The part of Hawaii Island that has fires is the dry side and this has happened before. Also the winds are so strong right now that it's hard for the relief efforts to drop water on the areas.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017

Maui has a few distinct ecoregions. Lahaina is essentially in a desert, it's one of the hottest, driest parts of the island despite other parts of the island being lush dense jungle that constantly gets rain. Lahaina being even dryer than normal makes it worse.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Wait until things are back to some sort of state of normalcy, go back and read up on what happened to Kauai due to Hurriance Iniki. Donate to relief efforts. Or if you go to another island support businesses that have branches there. Maui Brewing is on Oahu, Merrimans has spots on Kauai and Hawaii, and Ululani's is also on Hawaii.
I'll look into what can be done, flights and hotel are dependent on whether they'd be willing to refund or not. Unfortunately, I'm not made of money.
I travel to Hawaii to see family.

The solution is for less tourists to travel to Hawaii especially during these catastrophic events.
You do know I didn't book a flight upon reading this news, right?

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
People were filming giant water spouts off the shores of Maui the day before under clear skies. The weather is wack.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Combo of existing dry weather and winds from a hurricane.

I saw the mention of winds and dry brush but I was confused as to why it would be so dry. Granted I've only visited Oahu once a decade ago so I had no idea that it got dry like this.

They said on the news that the Lahaina area is in extreme drought conditions at the moment. Kauai, Oahu and Hawaii for the most part aren't in drought conditions. The part of Hawaii Island that has fires is the dry side and this has happened before. Also the winds are so strong right now that it's hard for the relief efforts to drop water on the areas.

Maui has a few distinct ecoregions. Lahaina is essentially in a desert, it's one of the hottest, driest parts of the island despite other parts of the island being lush dense jungle that constantly gets rain. Lahaina being even dryer than normal makes it worse.

Had no idea, this is tragic I feel terrible for the people. Does anyone know of any relief organizations we can donate to? Maybe too early for one to be setup already.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the Bayan tree is gone. I have a lovely picture of my daughter in front of it when she was little.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'll look into what can be done, flights and hotel are dependent on whether they'd be willing to refund or not. Unfortunately, I'm not made of money.

I think if they want tourists to visit, then by all means go. But if the local government is asking people to not come, you really should listen. A bunch of people showing up and putting a strain on an already decimated infrastructure is not a good idea. And also, Lahaina is likely completely gone.

I know not everyone does it, but we always get travel insurance. It's not much and worth it if you ever need to actually use it.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
I can't believe the Bayan tree is gone. I have a lovely picture of my daughter in front of it when she was little.

Usually, I'm the one that gets pooped on by birds while on trips, but just once, while walking under the Banyan tree, my wife got pooped on by a bird instead of me. It was hilarious. I've had some lovely memories around Lahaina, and my heart breaks for everyone impacted.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Maui/Lahaina is one of my favorite places on the planet - been there tons!
Was just there for our honeymoon 2 years ago.
This is fucking heartbreaking!
We have some gallery clients on Front Street as well, who I think are now devastated.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I think if they want tourists to visit, then by all means go. But if the local government is asking people to not come, you really should listen. A bunch of people showing up and putting a strain on an already decimated infrastructure is not a good idea. And also, Lahaina is likely completely gone.

I know not everyone does it, but we always get travel insurance. It's not much and worth it if you ever need to actually use it.
Yup, will keep myself updated to see the Government's recommendations. The deal we got didn't have travel insurance

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Yup, will keep myself updated to see the Government's recommendations. The deal we got didn't have travel insurance

Travel insurance is never included. You have to buy it from a separate company (it's not like an extended warranty like with cars and appliances) and normally within a short period of time from when you first book the trip.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
You do know I didn't book a flight upon reading this news, right?

I do. Overtourism of Hawaii is also not a new phenomena however.

Just want to point out that the local government and Native folks often have very different opinions about tourists.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
My GFs niece was supposed to fly out today and is stuck there on a beach. Hope that the firefighters can get it under control soon and that people there can get access to water for drinking and the basics in the meantime.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
As a brief How This Happened:

We had a wetter than usual Winter, so the plants and grasses went nuts. Once the rainy season ended, all that extra growth almost immediately dried out. The West side of Maui is a dry, desert climate as it is, so within a couple months we had large areas where fires were just waiting to happen. (And there had been a few large brush fires prior to last night as it was.)

The last couple days we've been caught in between a large high pressure ridge to the NE, and powerful Hurricane Dora moving past us to the south. This created a big ass pressure gradient and the islands have been having consistent winds up to the 60mph range since Sunday.

Monday is when things really got bad, winds brought down power lines in both Upcountry and Lahaina. Fires Upcountry started first and generally were in wilderness areas but started to encroach on housing areas by Monday night/Tuesday morning. There were some scattered brush fires in Lahaina on Monday but the biggest problem was the entire West Side lost power and most communications.

Lahaina had a big flare-up Tuesday night, that's what turned into the wildfires that have taken out the town. Upcountry fires flared up as well, burned down a lot of stuff in Kula and started encroaching on Kihei. That portion is under control now.

The Lahaina fires are still out of control and still destroying homes and businesses.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Just want to point out that the local government and Native folks often have very different opinions about tourists.

For sure, it's a difficult balance of the tourism economy being a positive but also the impact it has on indigenous populations. I can't imagine anyone is going to want tourists over there for a long time. Feels like a lot like the Iniki aftermath on Kauai in 1992. I had a cousin who lived over there at the time.

May 31, 2022
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
The Lt. Governor of Hawaii told CNN that there's no 911, cell and phone service:

Even emergency crews might not be able to help as the fires – fueled in part by Hurricane Dora churning some 800 miles away – have severed 911 services and communications in many parts of the island.

"911 is down. Cell service is down. Phone service is down," Hawaii Lt. Gov. Sylvia Luke told CNN on Wednesday morning.

"Our hospital system on Maui, they are overburdened with burn patients, people suffering from inhalation," she said. "The reality is that we need to fly people out of Maui to give them burn support because Maui hospital cannot do extensive burn treatment."

The only reliable form of communications is satellite phones:

Satellite phones have been the only reliable way to get in touch with some areas, including hotels, the lieutenant governor said.

"What we are trying to do is deploy individuals to go into areas with satellite phone service. We have only been in contact with perhaps one hotel because the one hotel, the people in charge of that hotel have satellite phones," Luke said Wednesday morning.

"That's the only way you can make connection. It's impeding communication … and we are very concerned about that."

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
The only real hospital on the island is in Kahului, and it's not very big. I remember there being a little urgent care clinic a couple blocks from Old Lahaina Town, and not much else around the island.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
As a brief How This Happened:

We had a wetter than usual Winter, so the plants and grasses went nuts. Once the rainy season ended, all that extra growth almost immediately dried out. The West side of Maui is a dry, desert climate as it is, so within a couple months we had large areas where fires were just waiting to happen. (And there had been a few large brush fires prior to last night as it was.)

The last couple days we've been caught in between a large high pressure ridge to the NE, and powerful Hurricane Dora moving past us to the south. This created a big ass pressure gradient and the islands have been having consistent winds up to the 60mph range since Sunday.

Monday is when things really got bad, winds brought down power lines in both Upcountry and Lahaina. Fires Upcountry started first and generally were in wilderness areas but started to encroach on housing areas by Monday night/Tuesday morning. There were some scattered brush fires in Lahaina on Monday but the biggest problem was the entire West Side lost power and most communications.

Lahaina had a big flare-up Tuesday night, that's what turned into the wildfires that have taken out the town. Upcountry fires flared up as well, burned down a lot of stuff in Kula and started encroaching on Kihei. That portion is under control now.

The Lahaina fires are still out of control and still destroying homes and businesses.

There's gonna be a lot of post reflection concerning the Maui FD, unfortunately. People are gonna wonder out loud why efforts were made in Kula while Lahaina was left to burn. Obviously there are many logistical complications but people are gonna be angry.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
This is just tragic.

Lahaina had so much history. They had the oldest Banyan Tree I believe in the state and that's all gone. King Kamehameha III's residence was in Lahaina.

It is a beautiful place and I loved my stay there.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
There some images and videos from a civilian helicopter pilot circulating of the damage along the coast. It is not an exaggeration when people are saying the town has been destroyed. The breadth of the damage is unfathomable. I guess there is a presser at 4pm ET coming up; hoping that there has been no loss of life, but I am sure they won't know for some time.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
That would be a miracle if the tree made it out. Hopefully!

That courthouse though on the Makai side had so much history for the town.. I remember spending an hour there as they had a lot of historical artifacts from the town itself. All of that gone.. Jesus...

It's amazing how fire just misses some structures while consuming others right next door.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This is insane, lots of houses in Lahaina as well from what I recall, it's a tourist destination but it's also where people live (relative to Kaanapali for instance from what I could tell.)

Also just seemed like it was the only place where there was bigger grocery stores and stuff like Wallgreens for a wide area.

Devastated for the locals/indigenous people affected.

Last edited:

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Completely insane - we're going to be there end of October, staying just a few miles away from Lahaina. Will keep an ear out for what the governor says in terms of travel advisories.