Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happened with Ooblets devs?

Husband wife indie devs signed a publishing agreement with Epic Games. Did nothing wrong. Got a torrent of hate on the internet, harrassment, slander, defaming, threats -- and the harrassment was stoked by people like Jim Sterling getting wind of it and making videos because how dare anyone sign with epic

In fairness, he did take down his video later because he seemed to have realized just how in the wrong he was -- which was the right thing to do but doesn't make up for it.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happened with Ooblets devs?

The short of it is:
- the Ooblets developers decided to make the game an Epic Games Store exclusive (at the height of the negativity against EGS)
- they announced it via a long blog post that, in places, read as pretty condescending
- they caught flak for that, including from Jim Sterling via a video
- problem is, they also got dogpiled on and harassed over it. Some of the harassment was based on screenshots of Discord conversations between the devs and their fans/patrons... And some of them were fake to boot (because of course they were; leave it to gamers to be shitty)
- Jim made another video and a small tweet thread where he explained that harassment is not okay, and privated the original video so that it wouldn't encourage more harassment.

It's hard to be super specific about Jim's role in the whole thing beyond "he criticized the devs" because the video, AFAIK, is not accessible anymore. From what I understand, he obviously didn't ask people to harass them, or even implied it, but he didn't explicitly say that they shouldn't harass the dev either (which is why he's much more cautious and explicit now when he tackles this kind of subject).

Someone correct any mistakes I made or important elements I might have omitted.

tl;dr : Jim kinda sorta made a mistake/short-sighted video once, but according to our buddy Jobbs here who clearly doesn't have an axe to grind, that makes him Trump 2.0.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I had a dollar everytime some rando complains about Jim Sterling in a Jim Sterling thread without watching the actual video, I'd be a rich man, too.
He's not pushing the blame on the viewers.
Thanks for your assumptive take just because I said something you didn't like.

I absolutely watched the entire video. It's him showing stats of his positive videos vs his negative videos saying that his viewers far prefer negativity and that, as a result, YouTube encourages him to continue making those videos. He constantly throughout the video points out how his viewers don't watch his positive content.

what else would you call that? He's taking the "Jim why are you so negative?" question and basically saying "It's not my fault my channel focuses on negative content, you are the ones who eat it up!" He even used an example in his video where he made a fallout 76 video after one of his "prouder" videos under performed just to prove a point and it blew up with over 1,000,000 views.

Did you watch the video? Or did you just accuse me of not watching it hoping that you were right and that I would just sort of scuttle away?

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
Husband wife indie devs signed a publishing agreement with Epic Games. Did nothing wrong. Got a torrent of hate on the internet, harrassment, slander, defaming, threats -- and the harrassment was stoked by people like Jim Sterling getting wind of it and making videos because how dare anyone sign with epic

In fairness, he did take down his video later because he seemed to have realized just how in the wrong he was -- which was the right thing to do but doesn't make up for it.
Oh I think I remember that video now, but I think I didn't know about the harassment. Thanks for the info.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
What's bitterly funny about at least half of these comments is that they often come directly after I've done a positive video on something. A positive video that statistically only half of the audience watched.

Happens on this forum all the time. You see a "negative" Jim Sterling video thread posted and it gets tons of comments/people complaining about Jim being negative, whereas his positive videos barely get past one page.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I dont like negativy but at least Jim offers constructive takes on the matter, most of the time in the internet negativity is just people harassing others and being mean, Jim is the opposite, he manages to be funny and critical without the need to step to that level

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tl;dr : Jim kinda sorta made a mistake/short-sighted video once, but according to our buddy Jobbs here who clearly doesn't have an axe to grind, that makes him Trump 2.0.

I do have an axe to grind and I'm clear about why... I've said it several times already. I still vividly remember the Ooblets incident and my disbelief/horror watching it unfold. I'll always side with innocent indie devs over the hate mob.

P.S. Their blog post wasn't condescending. It was playful and honest. They deserved absolutely no hatred and got a world of it.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many better reviewers and people who analyze games out there than Jim. He is pretty basic when he he does an impression video and his reaction videos very lame and not fun to watch. Those are low effort videos you find be the thousands on YT and they probably get the low numbers they may deserve.
And that's ignoring the times when you get the feeling he's actively trying to troll fans of some game and just wants to stir sh.t up for the views and the drama.
He's good at his political videos an the game industry and he's one of the very few people who does them who's on the left side of the political spectrum. I enjoy a good "bashing on a big game or company" video as much as the next guy and there have been many cases where watching a few of them led my YT recommendations down a rabbit hole of right wing conspiracy and gamer gate agendas where I don't want it and myself to be. So THANK GOD FOR JIM on that, but honestly I think it's the only content he produces that's special, except for the Duke Amiel videos. Those are hilarious.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

This post is completely inaccurate.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do have an axe to grind and I'm clear about why... I've said it several times already. I still vividly remember the Ooblets incident and my disbelief/horror watching it unfold. I'll always side with innocent indie devs over the hate mob.

P.S. Their blog post wasn't condescending. It was playful and honest. They deserved absolutely no hatred and got a world of it.

Just because you have an axe to grind doesn't mean you make legitimate points or that you aren't being needlessly hyperbolic. But at least I appreciate - genuinely, not being sarcastic - that you're not trying to deny that.

You say you'll side with innocent indie devs over the hate mob. That's good. So will Jim, as you'll no doubt notice if you take a step back and look at the big picture. We're talking about the guy whose main topics for years have been predatory business practices, corporate greed, anti-consumer stances, and, more recently, work crunch. He's firmly on the side of the smaller/weaker parties, i.e. consumers and, yes, smaller indie devs. But because he made that mistake once and even though he clearly showed he's grown since then - he removed the video, made his positions clearer, and has since been more careful about similar situations -, you've decided he's one step removed from being a Trump-like bottom feeder. That's bullshit and you know it. And if you don't know it, again: take a step back.

Also, I reread the Ooblets blog post before posting about it in this thread. I'm sorry, but while the post was honest, parts of it definitely read as condescending, regardless of where you stood about the whole deal at the time (or now, for that matter). I say this as someone who has 0 problem with a small dev taking the exclusivity deal (being a dev is hard as hell, as you yourself know), who has no animosity towards these developers, welcomes more competition against Steam (don't have much love for it or Valve, to be honest) and thinks Ooblets looks cute. The developers may have intended those parts of their blog post as playful, I'm not in their heads, but also: intent doesn't matter much in those things. PR-wise, if nothing else, those parts of the blog post didn't come off the way the devs thought they did. I thought that way back then, and I still think so now. For the record, I liked that they came out with a blog post explaining the whole thing in great detail. Kudos for the transparency. Their attempts at humor though? Not so much. Either way, they didn't deserve any form of harassment for it - criticism for the wording, maybe, but not harassment or dogpiling. That much we both agree on, as does Jim.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
tbh I don't mind the negativity as much as the hyperbolic nature of his videos playing everything up 200% while also doing some shoddy journalism and research.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for your assumptive take just because I said something you didn't like.

I absolutely watched the entire video. It's him showing stats of his positive videos vs his negative videos saying that his viewers far prefer negativity and that, as a result, YouTube encourages him to continue making those videos. He constantly throughout the video points out how his viewers don't watch his positive content.

what else would you call that? He's taking the "Jim why are you so negative?" question and basically saying "It's not my fault my channel focuses on negative content, you are the ones who eat it up!" He even used an example in his video where he made a fallout 76 video after one of his "prouder" videos under performed just to prove a point and it blew up with over 1,000,000 views.

Did you watch the video? Or did you just accuse me of not watching it hoping that you were right and that I would just sort of scuttle away?
Yet he continues to make those positive videos. He's clearly talking about youtube as a whole having this algorhythm problem, and about every content creator out there having to deal with it.
He's also pointing out that while people constantly complain he's too negative, don't actually watch his positive stuff. What else is he supposed to do? Just stop making videos?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Watched the video to see if he'd talk about what use Patreon can or can't be for escaping the trap of the YouTube algorith, but that topic only got the most superficial, short treatment.

Jim Sterling remains a prime example of self-flanderization.

Just because he's funded by pateron doesn't mean he can just ignore the content that made him popular in the first place. If Jim did a hard 180 and only made positive content that got lower views there is a very good chance his patreon would lose people who aren't satisfied with the content he's now putting out. Patreon gives him more flexibility to put out content that isn't 100% on brand, but it's not a cureall. As the video showed, his excellent Dark Souls politics videos caused him to lose patrons AND didn't do great views, so it's was a lose-lose all around.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
The problem I see with it is that Jim is talking A LOT about integrity and yet has no problem with producing sensational or negative content because "we adore it" aka it generates more money for him. Where's the integrity in that? He is no better to me than the people or companies he criticises because they make money regardless of morals too. Obviously he does not exploit people and generally is talking about important issues.
I just predict that this sensationalism will eventually hurt someone because he will rile up the bad part of his fanbase and they'll harass the crap out of someone. He's the equivalent of a YouTube tabloid. While a lot of forces in the industry are not our friends, they're also not our enemies.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
This seems less of a condemnation of the value of positive content and moreso of the audience Jim has cultivated over the years. People interested in positive — or let's say more nuanced? — perspectives on the industry are probably not going to Jim Sterling to get it. I wouldn't.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Remeber when he gave Hellblade a 1/10 for attention, and then blamed his fans for not taking his side? Jim will always be a hypocrite.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, I tried to watch some of his more positive videos, like jimpressions, but they aren't nearly as good. A lot of channels I wacth have this problem, of not knowing how to praise something whitout sounding like a paid advertisement.

Of the top of my head, maybe no punctuation and Rogers do that well, but others, not so much.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Remeber when he gave Hellblade a 1/10 for attention, and then blamed his fans for not taking his side? Jim will always be a hypocrite.
The one he retracted, contacted Metacritic to change the score (which was a very uncommon practice I recall) then put another video out calling himself a moron for acting rashly? The one that showed how little value metacritic should hold...but still does for some people.

I don't recall him blaming his fans for that.

It was a shitty move regardless. The initial score I mean. But it means nothing, if there wasn't some weird value attributed to Metacritic.

Still. I'm amazed at the restraint here. It's two pages in and no-one has used the whole "It's clickbait" argument or brought up Breath of The Fucking Wild.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017

You mean the review that he put and within 3 hours had made private, contacted meta-critic to have the score changed to review in progress, then made a vid explaining why he did it, that he is not happy with the score and the review was not up to standard and he was going to rething it.

Then posted a new review giving it a 7 out of 10 apologized to his fans and said he was unprofessional in the orginal review and got metacrtic to use his new score.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
People like negativity, doesn't only relate to videogames. It's one of the main reasons for the media focusing on the terrible shit in the world.

Reminder: this isn't about Corona, since a pandemic is pretty good reason for the shitload of negative news. I mean the news outside of pandemics.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Just because you have an axe to grind doesn't mean you make legitimate points or that you aren't being needlessly hyperbolic. But at least I appreciate - genuinely, not being sarcastic - that you're not trying to deny that.

You say you'll side with innocent indie devs over the hate mob. That's good. So will Jim, as you'll no doubt notice if you take a step back and look at the big picture. We're talking about the guy whose main topics for years have been predatory business practices, corporate greed, anti-consumer stances, and, more recently, work crunch. He's firmly on the side of the smaller/weaker parties, i.e. consumers and, yes, smaller indie devs. But because he made that mistake once and even though he clearly showed he's grown since then - he removed the video, made his positions clearer, and has since been more careful about similar situations -, you've decided he's one step removed from being a Trump-like bottom feeder. That's bullshit and you know it. And if you don't know it, again: take a step back.

Also, I reread the Ooblets blog post before posting about it in this thread. I'm sorry, but while the post was honest, parts of it definitely read as condescending, regardless of where you stood about the whole deal at the time (or now, for that matter). I say this as someone who has 0 problem with a small dev taking the exclusivity deal (being a dev is hard as hell, as you yourself know), who has no animosity towards these developers, welcomes more competition against Steam (don't have much love for it or Valve, to be honest) and thinks Ooblets looks cute. The developers may have intended those parts of their blog post as playful, I'm not in their heads, but also: intent doesn't matter much in those things. PR-wise, if nothing else, those parts of the blog post didn't come off the way the devs thought they did. I thought that way back then, and I still think so now. For the record, I liked that they came out with a blog post explaining the whole thing in great detail. Kudos for the transparency. Their attempts at humor though? Not so much. Either way, they didn't deserve any form of harassment for it - criticism for the wording, maybe, but not harassment or dogpiling. That much we both agree on, as does Jim.
Exactly.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While a lot of forces in the industry are not our friends, they're also not our enemies.

Good thing he focuses on the ones that are our 'enemies', then. Like it or not, Jim is becoming more and more of a leftist YouTuber as years go by, which gives him a systemic lens that will necessarily identify companies such as Activision as 'enemies', and many of their decisions as predatory and greedy as a necessary function of corporate capitalism. Of course, when he does that, he doesn't (and shouldn't) target individual developers or employees within those companies, but specifically the higher-ups, the ones who call the shots, the CFOs, the investors, the high-level managers, the shareholders. That's an integral part of being a leftist critic. If anything, him leaning more and more towards the left is a logical consequence of identifying those issues with the games industry.

But to address your post more broadly: if I hadn't watched the video and went solely by what you said, I'd think Jim is ready to stop making positive videos altogether. But he's not. As is very clear from watching the video, yes, the negative/critical videos will keep making up the majority of his content (especially the Jimquisition episodes, I'd gather), but he still intends to make other kinds of videos too. He wants to make more investigative work. He wants to do critical analyses of games he likes, and he'll make them. You heard him say it in the vid: he is extremely proud of his Dark Souls video - as he should be; I found it very interesting, and I haven't even played the games.

Now, if I had one criticism to make, it would be this: I do agree that just saying "people like the negative videos more" is not enough. I don't think it's a bad argument, because making a living in this day and age, especially as a video creator, is a hustle, but it's not sufficient. It's not even the only argument he makes, but he emphasizes it so much that it drowns out the rest. If you focus on that argument too much, you open yourself up to criticisms like the one you made, which roughly boils down to "oh, so you're in it for the money?" To be clear: I don't find that an especially strong or sufficient counterargument, but it's an easy and understandable one. Like, er... He has a right to make a living off of his stuff, doesn't he? He even has a right to be clever about it and tweak - to an extent - his content to make it more palatable and attractive. That doesn't automatically make him a greedy, opportunistic, disingenuous asshole, as long as he still enjoys it and puts in the work.

Speaking of. If I were to make other arguments for him, I'd start with "I like making videos about those topics" because, well, it's true - I mean, assuming he's being genuine when he says so, which I think he is. Like, he's not forcing himself to attack corporations. He doesn't make content to be advertiser/sponsor-friendly. That's just his thing, and the industry keeps proving him right. He has no obligation or duty towards anyone to tackle other topics, or to really tackle them in a specific way if he doesn't feel like it. And when he feels like it, he does... With the understanding that it would hurt his livelihood long term if he made it his primary focus. Let the person who's never tried to tweak their work to make it more appealing cast the first stone.

The other argument I'd make if I were him is: "find channels that have the same focus as me and do it better". Do you know many? Cause I sure don't. I mean, I'm sure they exist, but they clearly do not make up the bulk of video game content on YouTube. The reason why Sterling's niche works out so well for him is that he's one of the few people who do that, let alone with some amount of effort. If you want that kind of content outside of him, your best best is to turn to written media and seek out people like Jason Schreier. But that's a very different medium, and very different kind of work still. On YouTube, you'll mostly find alt-right/anti-SJW shitheads and controversy chasers. Ghouls who post 5 videos a day to complain about something that might have offended their stereotypical view of women or something. Outside of that, Video games on YouTube is 90% let's plays, game reviews, top 10s, the history of specific developers, 5% are deep dives on games (see people like Noah Caldwell-Gervais) and specific aspects of game development (e.g. game design, animation, hardware, etc.), and the remaining 5%... Shit, I dunno. The point is: very, very few content creators focus on the industry, much less with a critical lens. Don't complain that Jim Sterling; complain that there is no alternative to him. I, for one, would love it if someone with a similar leftist angle came out and gave Jim a run for his money. He's not a perfect journalist; nobody is. But the problem isn't that Jim has the point of view he has, or that he makes mistakes sometimes (which he always acknowledges and tries to fix, btw), or even that he doesn't go deep enough. It's that pretty much nobody else does what he does.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like him, most of his videos are good, I don't watch them all but the ones I choose to watch I usually enjoy. His shtick with the influencer character he's started doing is beyond annoying though

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good video

Always side eye people that really seem to hate Jim, I get not liking the way he presents his content or his aesthetic, but I don't get how you can actually hate him

At the end of the day, even when he repeats himself, he's generally right

He's made a few dumb comments over the years but he always seems to admit when that is the case

Limelight Boy

Sep 15, 2019
United Kingdom
The sad part is, he's absolutely right. There are several youtube channels I'm subscribed too, including Jim's, and I often ignore videos that aren't relevant to my interest.

Case in point I'm subscribed to CarlSagan42's channel for his amazing Mario Maker content. His 3 lowest performing videos in the past year or so were a hour long speech he gave at some event, a playthrough of man of medan, and a playthrough of Detroit become human. His only off brand thing that did well was Untitled Goose Game which he made during the peak of UGG's popularity, and I bet you the stats would show that video was watched little by his regulars and more by people looking for UGG content.

Specifically to Jim I usually don't watch his Jimpression videos because they're kinda of rambling train of thoughts unless I know for sure it's gonna be an angry shit on game fest. I listening to his podcast where Laura & Conrad are able to ask him questions or give their own opinions which imo is a better way of hearing about good games (in his opinion) like Man of Medan, Children of Morta, or Disco Elysium.

I do enjoy Jim's positive content Jimquisitions, but I'll admit I'm more likely to skip a positive video then a negative one.
I had no idea Jim had a podcast - thanks for putting me on

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Good video

Always side eye people that really seem to hate Jim, I get not liking the way he presents his content or his aesthetic, but I don't get how you can actually hate him

At the end of the day, even when he repeats himself, he's generally right

He's made a few dumb comments over the years but he always seems to admit when that is the case
He's gone after AAA gaming, exploitative mtx and crunch hard this gen

AAA games , games with lots of mtx and loot boxes and games made with crunch gets to hundred of pages even on Era. You can deduce why someone may irrationally hate him

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The Jim video Era needs to hear i think.

He also does podcasts. Like a LOT of them and praises absolute shit there. Movie Boys, Movie Boys, Jim Sterling is a movie boy.
I can´t find the song, so take this. Big Chungus inbound:

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with him but he pigeonholed himself since this was the attitude he was known for since destructoid.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The Jim video Era needs to hear i think.

He also does podcasts. Like a LOT of them and praises absolute shit there. Movie Boys, Movie Boys, Jim Sterling is a movie boy.
I can´t find the song, so take this. Big Chungus inbound:

It's at the end of the Double Dragon review, if I remember correctly 👍

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The industry needs as much criticism and skepticism as it can get. People that just cheer every game or hardware release (or report legit criticism as trolling or console warring) from their fav company no matter what actually are hurting the thing they love. They're like a doctor that always tells you you are in excellent health, even when you're not.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
He's gone after AAA gaming, exploitative mtx and crunch hard this gen

AAA games , games with lots of mtx and loot boxes and games made with crunch gets to hundred of pages even on Era. You can deduce why someone may irrationally hate him

That says more about the people that hate him than it does about Jim

Imagine complaining because someone you can easily ignore is going all in on shitty things your favourite company is doing

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The apology he did right after the The Spin-Off Doctors ep on Need for Speed - The Movie (the "movie car" is in NFS: Rivals and I drove it!) killed me Menome. My body nearly shut down from laughter as I went from one ep to the other in immediate succession and Need for Speed is indeed a feature-length death of the soul to listen to. The movie boys beat Uwe Boll with that EA adaptation. Big uff/10 but what a recovery.
He is even on pain meds in some of them. You can´t tell... Maybe a tiny bit.

A shame that YT or even his core audience has no time for his Avant guard insanity. They did all 6 RE films! ALL OF THEM. He liked some! Cancel him for that if anything. Still, a true prophet in many things:
3024169-0282571150-emoti.gif

The NFS apology is in Resident Evil: Apocalypse of all things. Wow: https://podbay.fm/podcast/947398127/e/1466527809

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I gave up on Jim's videos a while ago out of sheer boredom of listening to his negative thoughts.

I liked him at first and enjoyed podquisition, but nah no time for that

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The apology he did right after the The Spin-Off Doctors ep on Need for Speed - The Movie (the "movie car" is in NFS: Rivals and I drove it!) killed me Menome. My body nearly shut down from laughter as I went from one ep to the other in immediate succession and Need for Speed is indeed a feature-length death of the soul to listen to. The movie boys beat Uwe Boll with that EA adaptation. Big uff/10 but what a recovery.
He is even on pain meds in some of them. You can´t tell... Maybe a tiny bit.

A shame that YT or even his core audience has no time for his Avant guard insanity. They did all 6 RE films! ALL OF THEM. He liked some! Cancel him for that if anything. Still, a true prophet in many things:
3024169-0282571150-emoti.gif

The NFS apology is in Resident Evil: Apocalypse of all things. Wow: https://podbay.fm/podcast/947398127/e/1466527809

It's all Jim Stirling's fault I also watched all six of those Resident Evil movies after avoiding them for years, and own a copy of Pixels. I've watched every single movie with them, and it's been a hell of a ride. I can never unsee Blubberella.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I do like Jim and usually agree with him, but his aggressive shtick can be a bit exhausting after a while. I tend to give myself a few weeks between watching his major videos.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
He has gotten flak in the past for supporting developers signing deals with Epic, so this seems like an oversimplification and misrepresentation. That had zero to do with his criticism of PR.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I still dread that we´ll end up with Uwe Boll´s Auschwitz on the docket Menome. Making a roundabout game connection ain´t too hard.
www.imdb.com

Auschwitz (2011) ⭐ 3.2 | Drama, History, War

1h 13m | Not Rated
The film isn´t as bad as it could be but it is as bad in other ways. See you in hell.
There is also tons of hentai based on games. Kinda weird we haven´t hit the motherload yet. Anime ain´t better with games, it mostly ain't. This year is also Monster Hunter season. Thx Sony.

I was lastly way ahead of the game in liking eXistenZ before anyone else:
It´s nice to have good films on the list too. His Videodrome also comes close to being game related. And how:
giphy.gif

Jacob's Ladder (1990) also counts. Or Reign Over Me. A good 9/11 film on top of that. There is still good stuff to watch for the boys.

Last edited:

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Really great video, was really interesting to see the YouTube percentage data, really puts the arguments presented into perspective.

I absolutely adore Jim's work, there is no doubting the passion that man has for fairness, workers rights and integrity. Also, I love his shtick, stuff like the Cornflake Hormunculus really makes me chuckle.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I agree with him but he pigeonholed himself since this was the attitude he was known for since destructoid.

That's a problem with youtube in general though and the algorithm that recommends content, you get pigeonholed by both the ai and your fanbase.

Get popular making minecraft videos? You make minecraft videos, forever, or people don't watch and the ai doesn't recommend you

Get popular making mario videos? You make mario videos, forever, or people don't watch and the ai doesn't recommend you

Channels like red letter media that get popular for one thing (plinkett reviews) and then are able to get their other content popular as well (hitb, botw, re:view, etc) are really rare and far between. Even then their star wars videos do 3x the views as their other content.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
There's no doubt Jim has gained more attention being negative. Negativity attracts more than positivity on the internet, we all know this. Yet I think most of the time what he says is pretty correct. On the flipside Victor from Electric Playground, who've I've watched for many years, is quite the opposite. Sometimes I feel he's not being honest enough because he has a tougher time being jaded. Everything is kind of sugar-coated. Both know the industry very well but each has a very different approach.