UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Day 3 of TIFF...

Falcon Lake (Le Bon) - Loosely adapted from a graphic novel by Bastien Vivès - it was essentially retrofitted with a supernatural ghost story thematic element when a more literal approach failed to attract financial backers - this coming-of-age tale boasts some earnestly awkward performances from it's two young leads. The introduced changes recontextualize the original story into something unique that's able to stand on its own. I do think some of the elements could have been executed better but I applaud the ambition shown from this debut feature effort. (6.5 out of 10)

Holy Spider (Abbasi) - In many ways this film comes off like Iran's answer to The Silence of the Lambs - except this one's arguably more haunting as it's based on real-life events. Anchored by two lead performances whose game of cat-and-mouse carry the entire film - Amir-Ebrahimi and Bajestani are on par with any acting you will see this year - and some excellent camerawork, the only thing that makes this film a difficult rewatch is its harrowing subject matter. (8 out of 10)

Triangle of Sadness (Östlund) - This year's winner of the Palme d'Or is more of a series of comedic skits designed to poke fun at and tear down capitalist austerity than an actual film. There are some true moments of absurd brilliance here reminiscent of the Brooks - Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker greats. Other skits don't land quite so smoothly and there's a sense of redundancy here that sets in long before the end of this film's 2 1/2 hour runtime. (6.75 out of 10)

EO (Skolimowski) - What can best be described as an arthouse Homeward Bound starring a donkey simply trying to find its way back to his beloved circus trainer, this highly empathetic film is almost entirely carried by its jaw-dropping cinematography and Mykietyn's rousing orchestral score. This film begs to be watched in a theatrical setting, if at all possible. No, the donkey doesn't talk but Isabelle Huppert does show up briefly to smash some plates. (7.5 out of 10)

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
qFf8anju5f2epI0my8RdwwIXFIP.jpg

The more I look at Barry Sonnenfeld's movies, the more I don't understand why he's not brought up more. Dude has a couple clankers sure, Wild Wild West and MiB2, but he had some movies that should absolutely be modern classics like both his Addams Family movies, Get Shorty, MiB and his very underrated Big Trouble.

vz0w9BSehcqjDcJOjRaCk7fgJe7.jpg

Besides the four leads, you kinda forget how stacked this movie is with recognizable faces. And you forget it's based on a Stephen King book. And that Meathead used to be a director you looked forward to seeing his next movie. The four leads are stellar here. Just great chemistry between them all and the Lardass scene still kills.

xTB5V5NtlGP8iTyKNiwi4rAZ0ye.jpg

Very slowly getting through the MCU movies again. I used to put this as my least favorite Captain America movie of the three. Now, it might be my favorite. Great introductions to Spidey and Black Panther. Great action scenes. And the villain wins. Even though I love Alfre Woodard, not a fan of her casting just because it pretty much made the Netflix shows not in this universe. But then we might not be getting Mahershala Ali as Blade if they cared about the Netflix cast.

1002632.jpg

Been rewatching Indiana Jones movies as the new 4k steelbook have been coming out. Going to just say it, after rewatching the trilogy... Raiders is the worst. Marion is better than Willie by like 100 miles and the sword scene is still one of the best of the series. But I just enjoyed Doom more. Enjoyed Short Round and his relationship with Indy(till he leaves him behind at an orphanage or something). But the GOAT is Crusade. Again, Marion better than Elsa but Connery and Ford together was lightening in a bottle.

Arizona-2018-movie-poster.jpg

Hey, it's Danny McBride in a dark comedy so dark, it's hard to even call it a comedy. Dude certainly has a type. But I love that he doesn't even try to make Sonny likeable. He got done dirty but because of that, nothing that happens after is his fault. "I'm a really good guy!" If you like his other dark comedy movies/shows, you'll probably like this.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Day 4 of TIFF...

Corsage (Kreutzer) - An audacious turn from Vicky Krieps as Empress Elisabeth of Austria. Some folks would look at Corsage and deem it to be a midlife crisis film or a mental wellness case study set over a century before that term was first coined. Whereas I look at it and see a sane woman living in an insane world and lashing out in as spirited a fashion as she's able. If there was any justice, Krieps would be in the lead actress conversation. (8.25 out of 10)

The Menu (Mylod) - One of the most unique movie-watching experiences I've had in a theatre since Hereditary sent people jumping out of their seats in terror and fleeing out the back. And that's not exactly a good thing in this context. While I was watching a restaurant full of captive and uncomfortable foodies on-screen, I was a captive and uncomfortable audience member thanks to the worst behaved audience I can frankly recall watching a movie with. Cell phones and smart watches all being lit up around me. Prolific, over-the-top laughter at dialogue that wasn't inherently funny and still building to a punchline... lIke a baked-in laugh track. The person seated next to me had clearly read the leaked script and was actively turning away from the screen and cringing 5-10 seconds BEFORE anything remotely graphic or gory... thus sucking all of the tension out of a scene. I don't know if this was just a bunch of Succession fans with no sense of social decorum or what but, in an odd way, my discomfort helped resonate with the tone of the film albeit in an unintended fashion. Still didn't make for a fun experience, though. (5.25 out of 10)

The Woman King (Prince-Bythewood) - Easily one of the finest action epics I've seen on the big screen in years and a delightful surprise. On par with any Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Game of Thrones, Star Wars or MCU flick you deign to recollect. Viola Davis was her incomparable great self. Thuso Mbedu was a revelation. The supporting cast, cinematography, screenplay, score... they all delivered. I urge all of you to experience this on the big screen if you can. Go see it this weekend. (8.75 out of 10)

The Wonder (Lelio) - There are three standout elements about this film... Pugh's performance, the suitably morose cinematography and the haunting score from Matthew Herbert which shapes the mood of the film in all the best ways. It's not the easiest watch and there's a lot of head hitting the brick wall in frustration scenes and some overdone tropes I'm not exactly thrilled with, but it's worth seeing once. (7 out of 10)

Aug 7, 2020
Well I watched Licorice Pizza to try to get back into the habit of watching movies, and I didn't like it at all. Very cloying, and Haim's character was totally unbelievable. Despite the lack of chemistry I still found Cooper and Haim charming. I hope to see them in more down the line

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Day 4 of TIFF...

The Woman King (Prince-Bythewood) - Easily one of the finest action epics I've seen on the big screen in years and a delightful surprise. On par with any Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Game of Thrones, Star Wars or MCU flick you deign to recollect. Viola Davis was her incomparable great self. Thuso Mbedu was a revelation. The supporting cast, cinematography, screenplay, score... they all delivered. I urge all of you to experience this on the big screen if you can. Go see it this weekend. (8.75 out of 10)
This is really encouraging. Coming out next week here. Gonna see Corsage next month at LFF. Thanks for all these reviews!

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Day 5 of TIFF...

One Fine Morning (Hansen-Løve) - There's a serenity and deftness to Hansen-Løve's filmmaking irrespective of the interpersonal baggage her characters may be struggling with. It's a quality she shares with Hirokazu Koreeda which I'm greatly appreciative of. The only fault of this movie is that it's conventional and lacks the creative "film within a film" elements of Bergman Island. Seydoux is great as always. (6.5 out of 10)

The Inspection (Bratton) - I understand the criticisms of this film sticking so close to genre tropes given that it was semi-autobiographical. I understand but I don't agree with them. Bratton's journey of a young gay black man joining the Marines to give his life some semblance of meaning had me transfixed to the screen. Jeremy Pope delivers one of the best male lead performances you will see all year. (7.5 out of 10)

No Bears (Panahi) - I didn't realize heading into this how central Panahi himself would feature in this story as a central figure. If anything, this came off as somewhat of a meta-commentary on the now incarcerated filmmaker's plight and, while it was fascinating in that aspect, I feel like I can't fairly assess this film on its own merits without taking in the rest of the Panahi Cinematic Universe. (No Score)

The Fabelmans (Spielberg) - This year's Best Picture frontrunner was a clear labour of love for Spielberg. I wouldn't exactly call it a return to form, however. The film's best scenes feature Sammy tapping into his burgeoning skillset as an aspiring director. All of those lightbulb moments are just precious. You can lock Williams in for her long overdue Oscar for Supporting Actress now. Spielberg should also take home his 3rd for directing. I'd also like to shout out Gabriel LaBelle for more than holding up his end of the bargain on the acting front. Kid deserves more kudos and is drawing less buzz than Hirsch and Lynch for their cameos. (8.25 out of 10)

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Also on Day 5 of TIFF...

This one I need to give proper context for in advance of my review.

The last perfect 10 score I gave went to Moonlight in 2016. I had the pleasure of catching a screening at TIFF on the morning of 9/11's 15th anniversary and joined in a standing ovation to Barry Jenkins and the entire cast for their achievement in advance of their Best Picture win the following spring.

There were two other films I bestowed a perfect score to in that decade... Mad Max: Fury Road and Gravity, which remains the hallmark for immersive implementations of DBOX.

I have done my best to watch anything and everything of note in the 6 years since Moonlight and have not bestowed a perfect score upon a film... until now...

women-talking-163932.jpg

Women Talking (Polley)

For those of you who are unaware of the Toews novel on which this film is based, it provides a fictional recounting of 8 women in a Mennonite village in Bolivia who are appointed to decide whether the women shall leave or stay and fight in the wake of the revelation that the men in their colony (fathers, brothers, sons alike) have been tranquilizing the women and raping them in their sleep. While fiction, this is based on a very real series of events that took place from 2005 to 2009.

The women meet in a barn and weigh the pros and cons of each decision and bring all manner of perspective as they discuss their faith, forgiveness and the sacrifices that will be made in the wake of their eventual decision. There are arguments. There are moments of insight and levity. And there is a shared pain. And, above all else, a call to sit back and take everything in... especially for any men in the audience. While this may be recounting a specific series of unimaginable crimes carried about by men of all stripe against a specific community of women, it is unmistakably universal in terms of its importance and the call for both empathy and understanding.

Claire Foy is a raging hellfire of unbridled rage and just vindictiveness from Moment 1 that should land her a Supporting Actress nomination. Rooney Mara brings a voice of reason and focus. Jessie Buckley is Jessie Buckley... when has she ever disappointed? McDormand may be in the credits but she graciously steps back here and allows her esteemed co-stars to carry the lion's share of this film's acting and to shine. Even the lesser-known actors who fill out the remaining holes in the lineup more than hold their own.

The score from Hildur Guðnadóttir ebbs and flows throughout the film tying everything together. Sarah Polley's likely to take home an Oscar for Adapted Screenplay for this work but it deserves any and all accolades it may receive on top of that.

But more than that, it deserves to be seen. And talked about. And remembered. It is essential viewing... and, arguably more essential, for those who deem it isn't.

Women Talking will hit limited release courtesy of United Artists Releasing in early December.

(10 out of 10)

Last edited:

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Confess, Fletch & See How They Run

Spent my Sunday evening at the theater to see two comedies involving murder. Too bad I found neither of them to be any good or remotely funny. I'll say this about Fletch though: Seeing Slattery and Hamm together on screen again was nice.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
Crayon Shin-chan: Shrouded in Mystery! The Flowers of Tenkazu Academy
I don't even know why I bothered to watch this, there really isn't coherent story here. It was just typical Shin-chan whackiness and butt shaking and occasional butt sucking. Story specific characters were very weak this time around and Nohara family besides Shin was out of the picture, so most of the good characters were not utilized in the story. It got couple of chuckeles out of me, but overall waste of time.1/5.

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
large_honk-for-jesus-save-your-soul-movie-poster-2022.jpeg

Watched on Peacock. Lead performances are really good, but would have liked to seen the story go further and more comedy. Movie was done on a smaller scale, but could have benefitted from more supporting players.

May 24, 2019
Also on Day 5 of TIFF...

This one I need to give proper context for in advance of my review.

The last perfect 10 score I gave went to Moonlight in 2016. I had the pleasure of catching a screening at TIFF on the morning of 9/11's 15th anniversary and joined in a standing ovation to Barry Jenkins and the entire cast for their achievement in advance of their Best Picture win the following spring.

There were two other films I bestowed a perfect score to in that decade... Mad Max: Fury Road and Gravity, which remains the hallmark for immersive implementations of DBOX.

I have done my best to watch anything and everything of note in the 6 years since Moonlight and have not bestowed a perfect score upon a film... until now...

women-talking-163932.jpg

Women Talking (Polley)

For those of you who are unaware of the Toews novel on which this film is based, it provides a fictional recounting of 8 women in a Mennonite village in Bolivia who are appointed to decide whether the women shall leave or stay and fight in the wake of the revelation that the men in their colony (fathers, brothers, sons alike) have been tranquilizing the women and raping them in their sleep. While fiction, this is based on a very real series of events that took place from 2005 to 2009.

The women meet in a barn and weigh the pros and cons of each decision and bring all manner of perspective as they discuss their faith, forgiveness and the sacrifices that will be made in the wake of their eventual decision. There are arguments. There are moments of insight and levity. And there is a shared pain. And, above all else, a call to sit back and take everything in... especially for any men in the audience. While this may be recounting a specific series of unimaginable crimes carried about by men of all stripe against a specific community of women, it is unmistakably universal in terms of its importance and the call for both empathy and understanding.

Claire Foy is a raging hellfire of unbridled rage and just vindictiveness from Moment 1 that should land her a Supporting Actress nomination. Rooney Mara brings a voice of reason and focus. Jessie Buckley is Jessie Buckley... when has she ever disappointed? McDormand may be in the credits but she graciously steps back here and allows her esteemed co-stars to carry the lion's share of this film's acting and to shine. Even the lesser-known actors who fill out the remaining holes in the lineup more than hold their own.

The score from Hildur Guðnadóttir ebbs and flows throughout the film tying everything together. Sarah Polley's likely to take home an Oscar for Adapted Screenplay for this work but it deserves any and all accolades it may receive on top of that.

But more than that, it deserves to be seen. And talked about. And remembered. It is essential viewing... and, arguably more essential, for those who deem it isn't.

Women Talking will hit limited release courtesy of United Artists Releasing in early December.

(10 out of 10)
That's great to hear. One or two times a year I wonder when we'd get something new from her. I can't believe it's been ten years.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Sarah Polley movie and with that cast, defo looking forward to that. Wasn't even aware of it before the festival

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
vlc-preyfzci4.png

Prey (2022)
Doesn't help that I also watched Predators recently because while I can appreciate the change in setting for the franchise, it still plays out basically the same as all the other ones. This one's perfectly fine but I was hoping for more.

vlcsnap-2022-09-19-21baicf.png

Incubus (1981)
Went in expecting a routine slasher, got this kinda artsy rape demon fever dream?? My man Cassavetes is the dang sweatiest, stressed out small town doctor who says "sperm" about a million times and yells at practically every woman in the movie. Lots of weird, disorienting camerawork and editing, cool music (unexpected Samson performance!) and one dude takes a shovel to the neck before blowing his own foot off with a shotgun.

vlcsnap-2022-09-20-12cyeqi.png

The Stud (1978)
Man, I dunno where to even start! It's a trashy, absolutely problematic paper-thin story that manages to make you sympathetic towards this waiter-turned-club-promoter-and-gigolo who bangs the 16-year old daughter of the woman he's having an affair with (also the club owner's wife!) and then loses everything because of a sex tape and not wanting to participate in an orgy after being drugged?!? There are numerous lengthy scenes of people just dancing to disco music. Parts of it legitimately feel like b-roll from the Killing of a Chinese Bookie?! Joan Collins came back the next year for a direct sequel about her taking over the nightclub??!? Oliver Tobias was apparently a front-runner to play James Bond at one point, which makes total sense because the dude is handsome and suave and charismatic as fuck.

vlcsnap-2022-09-13-21d5etw.png

vlcsnap-2022-09-13-22a7csm.png

The Double (2013) / Enemy (2013)
One of those funny Hollywood years where two studios made two movies about the same basic idea, only this time they were both about main characters having existential crises after encountering their doppelganger. Ayoade goes for the quirky-yet-bleak approach that I wasn't sure I'd be into but did mostly enjoy (Wallace Shawn :D) and much preferred the look of, while Villeneuve does, well, his usual thing that isn't especially effective for me but Jakey is good; I will not claim to get the spider thing at all even after reading up on it because I am dumb, also why is everything so goddamn piss yellow.

vlcsnap-2022-09-13-21xuc20.png

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988)
First time seeing this. Actually incredible. Hoskins ruled. How they made this work so perfectly boggles my mind, and that there are Disney and WB characters interacting in the same movie is such an insane thing to look back on.

vlc-decisionj5dbe.jpg

Decision to Leave (2022)
A slog to get through, honestly. The subs weren't the greatest so I'm open to giving it another shot down the road, but it just goes on way too long and then there's even more? Park's unusual camera flourishes are the main appeal.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Day 6 of TIFF (yeah, I actually have a few more screenings to cover; had to forego writeups earlier as I had to catch up on work)...

Bros (Stoller) - I understand the criticisms of this film sticking so close to genre tropes given that it was looking to broaden its appeal to mainstream audiences. Yes, I'm starting this review off the same way as my Inspection review because I think it comes off rather trite when critics are imposing different standards for genre flicks with LGBTQIA+ protagonists.

Frankly, I think we should be celebrating that these films are actually getting financed and released and exposed to mass audiences as opposed to quibbling about them not being more original or true to life. Not everything can be Moonlight. And given the hateful bigots running rampant across social media feeling threatened by media that doesn't conform to them, I'm not entirely sure the world can handle much more than what we're getting. I mean, just look at this reactionary nonsense...

TKxJapZ.png

Incidentally, the above in no way speaks to either the film's quality or the reaction to audiences that actually screen the film in question. The Woman King recently delivered an A+ audience CinemaScore rating during its premiere weekend and just look how that flies in the face of what IMDb's userbase thinks...

gtA8YrZ.png

In case you hadn't realized by now, IMDb user ratings are officially trash and can be wholesale discounted as representing anything but a large, loud, ignorant, white male alt-right audience of xenophobes, homophobes and chauvinists. Go elsewhere for your qualified cinephile assessments of media.

As for the film itself, I had an absolute blast. It's hysterical. I had concerns that the trailer gave away most of the best lines/scenes and that couldn't be further from the truth. The script remains witty throughout. Eichner and Macfarlane have undeniable chemistry. Yes, it's long (as Apatow comedies tend to be) but it never drags. Yes, it's predictable... but you won't care about that, either. I laughed out loud a bunch and that's with fully one-third of the jokes going over my head because I'm straight. That's the sign of a good hit ratio. You'll be in for a good time if you catch this when it hits theatres starting next Thursday. (8.5 out of 10)

Empire of Light (Mendes) - This is a very pretty, technically accomplished, well-acted, unfocused mess of a film. There are elements of greatness here - namely Deakins' cinematography, the Reznor/Ross score, the two lead performances from Colman and Ward. They are unfortunately in service to a haphazard script that really doesn't know what it wants to be. The film covers all manner of angles from schizophrenia to racism to cinema escapism but at its core, it's simply a romance between two lonely souls seeking companionship. This is not a case of a film being greater than the sum of its parts. This is instead a case of those surface-level parts misleading you into thinking the film is more consequential than it actually is. Shame. (5.75 out of 10)

The Banshees of Inisherin (McDonagh) - This reunion of In Bruges co-stars/director will undoubtedly be the dark comic romp of the fall season. The premise is as basic and straightforward as can be... one day on a remote Irish island village, Gleeson's Colm decides he no longer wishes to be friends with Farrell's Padraic. Padraic spends the rest of the film simply yearning for his drinking buddy to spend time with him again while Colm just wants him to go away. That's all there is to it. And the film wholeheartedly commits to this quandary in a delightful cornucopia of ever-escalating stakes as the two try to outstubborn the other in a hilarious battle of wills. (8 out of 10)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Parasite

Always wanted to watch it. But never happened. But yesterday i watched it finally and it was amazing
Korean movies always have something special and special idea's with great actors.

CODA

Was oke. The premise is a nice touch and mostly got nominated because of that i guess. Rest is pretty standard. But was a oke watch

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Blue is the Warmest Colour

I enjoyed this. Adele puts in one hell of a performance and I'm glad there was some plot around all the sex scenes. Also loved the downer of an ending. I feel I've been in a very similar situation myself.

A Ship to India

Slowly watching all my Bergman films. So far this is probably my least favourite but it still wasn't bad. Next up I think is Thirst.

Starkweather

Nov 28, 2017
switzerland
Bodies Bodies Bodies

It's A24 so ofc i'm gonna watch it but was kinda disappointed, especially concerning the final act. Still entertaining thou 6/10

Looking forward to watching Triangle Of Sadness and The Menu!

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Happy Death Day

It was solid. About as good as I expected it to be. Like a 6/10 I guess.
I thought that the movie would actually explain how the time loop happened but it never does unfortunately.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Blonde

Context: I am a big Andrew Dominik fan so went in with probably more willingness to go with it than most will. Also not particularly attached to Marilyn Monroe so have no strong feelings about how she is or is not presented. Finally am a straight white cis male so conversations about representation are probably not my area to be arguing.

Anyway, I liked it, I think.

+ It's tone is most similar to The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford than Killing Them Softly or Chopper. This is good because TAOJJBTCF is one of my favourite films ever and it's nice to know that kind of film wasn't a one off for Dominik.
+ It also reminds me of Malick even more than Jesse James mostly because it plays with time a lot which adds to the dream like atmosphere but means the characters can't remain grounded.
+ Ana De Armas is very good. Definitely sinks in to the role but I will say it's not a very deep role, more of a reactive character than a real person who changes over time.
+ Adrian Brody (an actor I have little patience for given his history of working with Paedos) is also good.
+ The Score and Cinematography are top notch. Few more transcendental things in cinema when Dominik and Cave/Ellis are on the same level.
- The narration is a bit hit and miss. Some works, some is unnecessary which is a shame since Jesse James had GOAT narration.
- Bit too long
- You can only get away with so many ironic music cues
- Too many "Daddys" and cgi foetuses.

Overall its a collection of (mostly great scenes) which don't always add up to the sum of their parts. Still give me this over all the Darkest Hour, Bohemian Rhapsody or King Richards in the world.

Grade: B

Last edited:

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Walker is absolutely bonkers, definitely watch it before it leaves Criteron. Kinda messy but also really good, all time performance from Ed Harris.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
indiana-jones-and-the-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull-poster-4.jpg

Finished up my Indiana run. Haven't seen Crystal Skull since I watched it in the theater. Knowing what I was in for this time mentally prepared me. Actually enjoyed most of it. The old Indy jokes were good. Slimy Ray Winstone is the best Ray Winstone. Blanchett is fun. Shia trying to be Brando was not the right call. Anyways... Really enjoying it till the Spider-Man monkey scene. Then just kinda stayed annoying to the end.

a9e382be90f2ac4975bb355105dddd88.jpg

One of the two best 80's vampire movies hitting 4k (the other being Near Dark supposedly also getting a 4k release but I feel like that was announced awhile ago) was a day one buy. Some great lines, great make-up/effects and a great cast. What's not to love. Also worth it alone for buff sexy saxophone guy.
6cfd3b5427e2b6cadcbd363e05d7113a.gif

The_Amusement_Park.jpg

Bought this more as a curiosity. It's less than a hour long but very well might be Romero's weirdest thing I've seen and I think I've seen most his movies by this point.

Bubba-Ho-Tep-2002-poster-1.jpg

Watched Elvis recently and I found out Army of Darkness 4k was pushed back a week so I put those together and thought I should rewatch Bubba Ho-Tep. Effects are wanting a bit but great performances from my man Campbell and Ossie Davis. Always wished we got that sequel with Giamatti as colonel Parker.

7GcZJjqUgkTGF4nieM5fNSoyjXC.jpg

Stupid movie makes me wish we got a whole movie on Cybertron. That beginning is so fun. I go back and forth on if this or the first live action Transformer is my favorite of the live actions. Right now Im swaying towards Bumblebee. Hailee Steinfeld is a very winning and fun lead. Cena drops a couple of the best laughs and calls out the biggest red flag of the decepticon name.

562060-clerks-iii-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

If the whole movie was as good as the last act, this would have been the best movie Smith had done. But leading up to that... Just alright. A few good laughs and a lot of call backs but the comedy didn't keep up pace like, at least in my opinion, Clerks and it's sequel held up on. I would rate this the worst of just the Clerks movies but worth seeing.
Smith did get me teary eyed.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
What is going on with the thread title? It's neither Q2 nor 2023 lol.

Rounding out the rest of the pre-Craig Bonds:

Octopussy
This movie is not that good but it's not too terrible either; a lot of it just feels like Bond on autopilot. All the carnival stuff leans too far into (bad) camp and in hindsight I don't know what Faberge eggs had to do with anything? Like Moonraker, it has a dope plane stunt. A lot of the Moore films have great stunt work, which is ironic because Moore himself is not convincing as an action star, and this film is probably his worst outing on that front: he simply looks way too old and flabby to be remotely believable as Bond anymore. I think this movie's rep might be slightly better if they had called it The Property of a Lady. Naming it Octopussy doomed it from jump.
5/10

A View to a Kill

Roger Moore's final Bond film, and while it has a pretty terrible reputation, I'd actually place this squarely in the middle of his run. Christopher Walken and Grace Jones are fun, if underbaked, villains. The real highlight of the film is Patrick Macnee and his chemistry with Moore...which makes it so absurd they kill him off so early on! And then replace him with one of the series' blandest Bond girls. What a waste. It should've been Moore and Macnee for most of the film, their rapport together is the most energy Moore has brought to Bond in several movies now.
5/10

Tomorrow Never Dies

While the pseudo-Fox News angle is very prescient, the movie and Jonathan Pryce in particular take some very silly material way too seriously and the hammy quality of it undercuts the gravity of the Big Real World Themes of the story. Michelle Yeoh is great fun in this but her character is underutilized. Oppositely, Teri Hatcher's character is a great (if short-lived) idea for a Bond movie, but the performance is lackluster. They should've combined the two roles. I originally had this rated a little lower, but after seeing the next two movies bumped it up a bit lol.
6/10

The World is Not Enough

The first 45 minutes of this are actually kind of good! The stakes feel personal to Bond (and M! this is Judi Dench's best outing as M in the Brosnan era) in a way they so rarely are pre-Craig, and I really like Sophie Marceau's character. But the "can't feel any pain" villain is dumb and the whole thing just goes off the rails the second that Denise Richards' character is introduced. Things get silly and dumb and over the top, and you quickly that the first act was any good at all. A real waste, because if it had followed through on that promise this could be an easy runner up to Goldeneye. I think this might have the best of the Brosnan era Bond songs at least.
5/10

Die Another Day

Oh lord. Just about everything in this movie sucks: the direction is tacky, the Asylum level of CGI is extremely poor and makes the film look cheap and ugly (doesn't help there is CG and green screen all over this thing), the villains are literally Koreans in whiteface (!), and the title song by Madonna is not just the worst Bond theme, it may be one of the worst things I've ever heard. There's a fun, if silly, sword fight scene in the middle of the movie and Rosemund Pike is solid; wish she had a much bigger role. Mostly, though, this is just kind of embarrassing and it feels like Bond's Joel Schumacher moment. Almost as bad as Diamonds Are Forever, and an unfortunate end to Brosnan's run and the classic/pre-Craig Bond. Hard to believe the guys who wrote this came back and wrote Casino Royale just a couple years later.
4/10

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
What is going on with the thread title? It's neither Q2 nor 2023 lol.
It's just one of those wacky things. I haven't read into it too much.

Recent releases will at least play into the 2023 movie awards season.
Here's the latest on how the Oscar race for next year is shaping up...

View: https://youtu.be/TQpt5YHPeb4

I have watched 8 of the 10 current Best Picture frontrunners apart from TÁR (which didn't play at TIFF) and Babylon (which hasn't played anywhere).

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The World is Not Enough
The first 45 minutes of this are actually kind of good! The stakes feel personal to Bond (and M! this is Judi Dench's best outing as M in the Brosnan era) in a way they so rarely are pre-Craig, and I really like Sophie Marceau's character. But the "can't feel any pain" villain is dumb and the whole thing just goes off the rails the second that Denise Richards' character is introduced. Things get silly and dumb and over the top, and you quickly that the first act was any good at all. A real waste, because if it had followed through on that promise this could be an easy runner up to Goldeneye. I think this might have the best of the Brosnan era Bond songs at least.
Hell yeah, I love me some Garbage.

www.youtube.com

The World Is Not Enough

Provided to YouTube by Liberation Music Pty LtdThe World Is Not Enough · GarbageAbsolute Garbage℗ 2012 STUNVOLUMEReleased on: 2012-07-23Main Artist: Garbage...

Zanaffar

Oct 27, 2017
Well cause I hate myself I watched the full version of this "masterpiece".

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Just watched Irreversible and then Carne.

The former is one of those films that really makes you feel it. The scene at the bar at the end is so disgustingly overwhelming and disorienting that I just wanted it to end. But I found it a really interesting film in that it's a reverse revenge film that manages to rob you of any catharsis you might think you'd get from the "revenge" part by playing everything backwards, and instead it just leaves you feeling hollow and helpless.

I got talking to a foreign film fan that sort of set me on this path of disturbing films to watch, so I've ordered Come and See and 120 Days of Sodom as well, and I guess I'll go from there. A Serbian Film is the only one I'm pretty sure I can do without, but Director's like Gasper Noe are another blind spot for me that I'm interested in exploring.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched Irreversible and then Carne.

The former is one of those films that really makes you feel it. The scene at the bar at the end is so disgustingly overwhelming and disorienting that I just wanted it to end. But I found it a really interesting film in that it's a reverse revenge film that manages to rob you of any catharsis you might think you'd get from the "revenge" part by playing everything backwards, and instead it just leaves you feeling hollow and helpless.

I got talking to a foreign film fan that sort of set me on this path of disturbing films to watch, so I've ordered Come and See and 120 Days of Sodom as well, and I guess I'll go from there. A Serbian Film is the only one I'm pretty sure I can do without, but Director's like Gasper Noe are another blind spot for me that I'm interested in exploring.

Noe's Climax is bonkers great.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Noe's Climax is bonkers great.

Alright, ordered that and Enter The Void. Never would have ordered Climax if I just read the blurb, but I'll trust you and the fact I liked Irreversible. Always up for some weird ass movies anyway.

Oh, and without spoilers, does anyone recommend Funny Games? I keep seeing it pop up in the Amazon recommendations and I've heard it's "dark".

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
NOPE (2022).

+ Great cinematography.
+ Great actors.
+ Intriguing mystery.
+ Great intense moments.
+ The alien is creepy & awesome.

- Unsatisfying conclusion.
- Signs (2002) is better.

Overall:
Entertaining, but once is enough. Jordan Peele directing this feels like Jordan Peele version of M. Night Shyamalan, if that makes any sense.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
MV5BMjE1OTU5MjU0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI3OTU5Ng@@._V1_.jpg

I watched this a while ago and didn't think much. Tried again and...same conclusion.

I'm sorry, no universe will have me believe a marriage is on the rocks because the wifey gets amnesia and doesn't have any strong feelings to being married to Channing-freaking-Tatum. 0 realism; 1 star.... ⭐ The idea that he's a beacon among a shitty family is.... weirdly relatable though.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
s-l500.jpg

Watched it last night on Showtime, has some of the classic horror movie decision making but thought it was shot really well, especially when it came to the kills. Did take a while to build up, but funnier than I expected.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
r0YOPlwARRXh2tRivUNCUqV0wXo.jpg

I don't understand how this is an anti-western. Because it doesn't glorify the wild west like the John Wayne flicks used to? Anyways, it was pretty good with some really good performances, especially by Hackman. The UHD disc looks stunning.

assassination-nation-poster.jpg

Weird movie. No subtlety at all about the fragile ego of men. This movie goes places and just gets crazier and crazier.

kRP5dGXDhKt7bDpXX4YBa4dRwlL.jpg

Still waiting on a Blu-ray (or at this point a 4k disc) of The Abyss, True Lies and Strange Days (Cameron produced that one) but I saw Abyss is in Starz and in HD. Cameron and water apparently makes for very tense movie sets but also very good movies. The effects are dated but effective. All the actors are great. Harris and Biehn are the standouts.

lRHE0vzf3oYJrhbsHXjIkF4Tl5A.jpg

Was putting together one of those 1up Arcades and needed something I've seen so I didn't need to pay attention 100%. My daughter chose Inside Out. One of the top tier Pixar movies. Just how they explain emotions but make it a great time with heart and stakes on the line. A visual treat.

alien_3_poster1.jpg

Decided to focus more on horror or horror-adjacent movies for October. Started with Alien 3 because I have watched Alien and Aliens pretty recently. My least favorite of the 4 Sigourney Weaver Alien movies but still would highly recommend. The cg alien looks like shit but the atmosphere is very claustrophobic. Ripley is still one of the best characters ever and does not disappoint. I'm a big fan of Resurrection but it feels even less horror than 3. So I might not get to it before the month is over. We'll see.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
r0YOPlwARRXh2tRivUNCUqV0wXo.jpg

I don't understand how this is an anti-western. Because it doesn't glorify the wild west like the John Wayne flicks used to? Anyways, it was pretty good with some really good performances, especially by Hackman. The UHD disc looks stunning.

A few elements in the film (spoilers for a 30 year old movie)

1. The hero in the movie is actually a killer.
  2. No one can aim or fire a gun despite the fact that they're all well armed.
  3. Killing a person, as it turns out is a hell of a thing.
  4. It works in a theme of stories vs. realities depending on who gets to tell them.
  5. The simple hardships of Western life, such as taking care of your family and having animals.

I think it's less that it doesn't "glorify" Western ideals, and more that they're worked into the story and confronted to some degree. Unforgiven is certainly not the only Western to do this, though.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
It's an anti-Western because the film--the script of which was originally written during the anti-establishment 70s--subverts Western tropes at every turn:

1. William Munny, romanticized as a living gunslinger legend by people such as the Scofield Kid, is revealed to have been an irredeemable murder who killed most of his victims--including women and children--while under the influence, survived his gun battles primarily on luck, and escaped the life only to become a failed pig farmer. Later on, he's exposed as weakened by age and sickness, and terrified of death.
2. Ned Logan, Munny's grizzled old partner, while still loyal and a crack shot, has lost his nerve in old age and eventually meets his death because of it.
3. The cocky Scofield Kid turns out to be a blind, pants-shitting tyro who learns the hard way that killing people isn't the storied existence it's written up to be.
4. Another boastful old outlaw, English Bob, who's grown his own legend spouting off to penny dreadful writers and newspapermen, loses his aura of deadliness, and even his hanger-on biographer, when given a quick comeuppance by Little Bill.
5. As opposed to the traditional, glamorized portrait of the profession, Wild West prostitution is shown as a very sordid, desperate pursuit; a dangerous, exceedingly harsh means of survival for the destitute and abandoned.
6. As the ending reiterates, killing, even in the mythical Wild West, is a business of killers--truly psychopathic, despicably violent people--not American Robin Hoods or Beowulfs to be glorified.

There's several more subversions of the traditional Hollywood Western I could list from the film. Perhaps these don't stand out so much these days because of the previous 30 years of countless other Westerns riffing on these same themes. When Unforgiven was released in 1992, though, no previous "anti-Western" had created such a commotion at the box office and in critical circles since the Leone Westerns of the 1960s. (Which were "anti-Western" in a very different sense.)

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Saw one of the White Noise showings at NYFF last Friday. Baumbach really is an awkward mf lmao. He introduced Gerwig as "Greta Gerwig, who I live with" and thanked DeLillo for writing an "easily filmable novel" (that got a few chuckles from the crowd).

The film itself wasn't anything special, probably one of my least favorite Baumbach movies. People called it an unfilmable novel and I walked out of the theater thinking they were mostly correct. At least for an adaptation that tries to stay as close to the source as this one. It does an alright job with the satirical elements but the sense of anxiety and dread that gives the novel its edge is almost completely absent.

Cheadle and Driver both turn in strong performances. Gerwig, who I normally love, was not as great. A lot of her dialogue and expressions just felt weird and awkward, and not in a way that felt intentional. I also absolutely hated how the LCD Soundsystem song was used even though the track itself is pretty good.

The novel is probably my favorite thing that I've read in 2022 and I'm generally a big fan of baumbach's, but I weirdly didn't have very high expectations for this one. It basically affirmed that lack of expectations too unfortunately.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Going back to continue on some retro review, with a lot of them being provacative.

Easy Rider (1969) A lot of this movie was a trip... in some cases literally, both for the characters and the actors who were high for real in some of the scenes. The structure itself didn't didn't feel like it connected. Still, it comes with some of the most prescient predictions for the future of the counterculture movement as well as the passive-aggressive nature of the South at the time. Also... young Jack Nicholson as a lawyer wasn't something I saw coming. The ending is shocking too (and some of the reactions to it while wasn't that surprising it really did show what people thought about the protagonists at the time). It's not the cleanest of watches but I think it's worth checking out. 7/10

The Woman King (2022) First off, I wasn't really expecting good accents here so that was predictable. But props to John Boyega for nailing it in his performance. Secondly, the depiction of the Dahomey was more nuanced than what the movie portrayed even if the movie acknowledged that they participated in the slave trade as well as many other tribes in the area. It's not something that's bothering me that much, but it's something Hollywood needs to be careful with especially with more stories from the continent finally getting a spotlight (and please hire more actors from the area even if it's only supporting roles. Authenticity helps a lot!) That said, the action scenes and acting deserves plenty of praise for how they handled the movie. It's baby step with Black Panther 2 hopefully continuing things. 7.5/10

Belle de Jour (1969) For French erotic filming this is pretty tame and yet at the same time incredibly progressive. A woman decides to spruce up her curiosities by joining a brothel and accepting clients. There's plenty of dream sequences that depict her fantasies, but they are all rather tasteful given the subject. The entire experience was thought provoking in general. 8/10

Pearl (2022) Holy shit Mia Goth is legit. While her performances in X were impressive from a technical perspective, Pearl allows her to shine brightly, giving her a full range of emotions to work with. The prequel shows just what the young woman went through to become what she became in the first movie and it's both intriguing and terrifying at the same time. If horror isn't your style, you should at least watch the monologue she gives in the climax of the film. It will be criminal if she doesn't get an Oscar for that alone. Oh and the horror sequences were pretty good too if you're into that. 8.25/10

Barbarian (2022) Continuing into the trend of horror movies surprisingly doing well, Barbarian manages to showcase its themes in a concise way that most people would appreciate all while absolutely succeeding in scaring the crap out of you. Not only that, it also manages to at least get you to care about the characters and actually have them act smart for a change. Or at least act as you'd expect from people. And all of that only adds to what the movie was talking about. It's by far the best one I've seen so far. 8.5/10

Sullivan's Travels (1941) It's a shame that there's so much good stuff in the Golden Age because a lot of other movies get lost between the cracks. This is one of them, mostly because of its more mixed reception at the time. Maybe because it didn't have such a positive reception to Hollywood? But the premise is solid from the start and it only gets better from there. Right when the country is trying to recover from the Great Depression, a director or dramatic films decides to perform the innocent task of living among the poor. Everyone performs well here, but Veronica Lake is the standout. She's probably one of the few actresses at the time that could pull the act of a cynical drifter and make it believable. And the comedy itself was a hit from beginnig to end. The ending is questionable because while I agree making people laugh is good and all, there are instances where it's possible to both get laughs and inform people. Then I realized that while that was the message of the story, it did show conditions that modern day (white) people would sorely miss as well as a cruel private prisoner that wouldn't be too out of place for today's wardens. So in a way I guess it did succeed in doing both... whether that was intentional or not. I'd even say it's comparable to The Lady Eve as Preston Sturges' best work. 8.75/10

Men (2022) Might as well get this one over with with the arrival of spooky season. With arguments over whether Nope and Barbarian did a good job showing viewers its themes, Men make both of them look like a Tumblr post. It's hard to explain, but the movie both have scenes with a subtly of a brick and and ending that's deeply disturbing yet nearly impossibly to decipher an ending. It also didn't help that it was plagued with a lot of common horror tropes that make our hero like an idiot. This is a very disappointing directing performance from the guy that made Ex Machina and Annihilation, some of my favorite movies from the past decade. 5/10

Bros (2022) As far as quality, I would say this is a very successful take on a gay romcom. It's a shame that there were so many factors going against the film from the trailers to the main lead choices because in the end it all came together to create a great product. Much like Trainwreck, the film is stop in go between laugh-out-loud moments and quieter scenes. The laughs aren't as high as the former, but it's a more balanced watch that makes it more enjoyable in general. Still, the camera should back up a bit because they seem to like close-up shots a bit too much to my liking. But yeah, it's something you should check out. 8.25/10

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Watched a lot of stuff last month that I kept neglecting to post about.

A Trip to the Moon
120th anniversary! Probably the oldest film I've ever seen, outside of the 19th century experiments. A hard film to judge: on the one hand, extremely influential and inventive for its time, on the other hand, I experience it more as a curio than something that really moves me or creates this immersive or resonant experience for me.
6/10

The Queen

Rewatch. An extremely eerie rewatch, at that, as I put this on just days before the Queen died. A really good movie, though the depictions of Blair and Elizabeth feel a bit, I don't know, simplified? Even dumbed down a bit? Or maybe it's some of the dialogue. A compelling conversation drama, for sure, but feels like a broad rough draft for the more intricate (by comparison at least) character writing of The Crown.
7/10

The Red Balloon

Rewatch. Cute kid's movie that doubles as a pretty time capsule of 50s Paris (which, incidentally, looks not too far off from modern Paris). Was the titular red balloon colorized in some way? Because there was, at least in the version on HBO Max, something about the red that looked like it had been applied to the balloon after the fact; some scratchy glowing effect to the red that felt like it was not coming off the balloon itself. I had completely forgotten the ending, I can't believe those kids killed the balloon and that was the end of it! It didn't come back?!
7/10

Elvis

This one was a pleasant surprise. I really resisted seeing it, I hated the trailers, I really don't care for Baz's style in general. But I had a couple long flights last month and this ate up some time. And I gotta say...I didn't hate. I did hate Baz's direction, as expected. And Tom Hanks gives what might be a career worst performance in it. But Austin Butler was just fucking great. I don't even really like Elvis' music that much, and Butler totally got me into it. This is a great performance trapped in an otherwise annoying movie, so it evens out for me.
6/10

Sweet Smell of Success

Rewatch. Had an opportunity to see this at a small Paris theater last month. Last time I saw this movie was before I had gotten into a career of PR, so watching it now was funny, both in having so much of a better understanding of what they're talking about but lol-ing at the hilarious level of omnipotence and wealth these columnists are supposed to have. The movie was luckily still presented in English with French subtitles, and even with my extremely bad understanding of the language, you could tell the translation was sanding off the edges of the dialogue.
7/10

War of the Worlds

Rewatch. Not as good as I remembered unfortunately. What has held up is the actual filmmaking -- the cinematography, the scale of the tripods, the sound design of their attacks, the tension in every way they menace the humans (whether it's the full machines obliterating cities, their tentacle cameras snaking around basements looking for survivors, or the cages of human prisoners). The ferry sequence in particular looks and sounds so good. What doesn't hold up is the actual human element you're supposed to care about. Obviously the son is the worst part, everyone hates the son, but what I had forgotten is that Cruise and Dakota Fanning are also pretty annoying too lol. The characters are just so thinly sketched, and what's there is mostly irritating. The ending is as terrible as remembered, but what I'd forgotten is Morgan Freeman's cringey fucking narration bookends, jeez. A very pretty but hollow spectacle.
6/10

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Singin' in the Rain
Delightfully corny. A fun, beautiful Technicolor Hollywood romp about the early days of talkies. Production design is just stunning. Honestly the songs are probably my least favorite part of the film lol.
8/10

The Set-Up

Wow, what a great little boxing movie! At 70 minutes, a taut, compact, ticking-clock drama that's at first about the backroom angsting of fighters, before it opens up into a surprisingly good-looking, well-choreographed fight that feels like a precursor from everything to Killer's Kiss to Raging Bull. In the best way this feels like one of the live TV dramas of the 50s (this film even beats Requiem for a Heavyweight to the punch by a few years!).
8/10

Tootsie

Boy, any movie that involves crossdressing man from more than, like, 5 years ago just feels a little bit uneasy lol. But this mostly still worked for me, in large part because of Hoffman's performance. Amusing and only occasionally stepping over into cringe. Kind of funny this is a Sydney Pollack film, given what I usually associate him with.
7/10

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
1j5YmfM69iIBkHU7NM7XrADmxdx.jpg

Always meant to watch Return of the Living Dead and I finally got around to it. Pretty big let down. Wasn't very scary or funny. Some of the practical effects were lacking as well. I guess I won't be watching the sequels.

thumb-1920-135861.jpg

This is the correct way to do a remake. Keep the premise but then do your own thing. I am looking forward to Evil Dead Rises next year but kinda wish it was a Mia sequel.

4SoyTCEpsgLjX6yAyMsx3AsAyRQ.jpg

Another horror movie I always meant to watch. But unlike Return of the Living Dead I did enjoy Creepshow. I will say, Stephen King probably shouldn't have starred in one of the stories. He's not a very good actor. My favorite was the one with Adrienne Barbeau and Hal Holbrook although it was also fun watching a younger Ted Danson against Leslie Nielsen.

army%2Bof%2Bdarkness%2Bcomics.png

Army of Darkness finally got a 4k. Shame it was only one version(theatrical) that got that treatment but hot damn it looks the best I've ever seen it. Fucking love this movie. Love the whole series.

0ace60d3c9.jpg

Land of the Dead doesn't get enough love. Yeah it's not as good as Night, Dawn or Day but I think it's a worthy sequel. I like that they took the scientist premise from Day and the zombies are evolving. There are some great kills and like the previous three, does have something to say, this time about classism. I guess I'll have to get to Diary and Survival soon. I have never seen either of those before.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Come and See

Had this on my to buy list for years and finally watched bought and just finished watching it. Did it live up to the hype as the best anti war film ever shot? Probably not, but there was a lot to like about it. I'll probably need a rewatch of it at some point to better appreciate it, but overall I enjoyed it but wasn't shocked by it like I expected to be. Maybe I've been desensitised by other films, but this was more of a slow, psychological film rather than a series of increasingly visually horrific scenarios and gore. My favourite part was the otherworldly sound effect that played when the reconnaissance plane was flying overhead. That leant the whole movie a dream like feel that was disconcerting.

But let's put my desensitised theory to the test. My copy of 120 Days of Sodom just arrived. Going in blind on the weekend.