• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
What is the racist joke? Near the end when he says "Aren't you supposed to say "have a good fright?" or when he makes a joke about people being short? Genuinely curious, I can't recall
Pretty sure he makes a remark about slanted eyes at some point in the movie. But Bill Murray's character is supposed to be a bit of an asshole at that point.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
nerd-sex.jpg

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Pretty sure he makes a remark about slanted eyes at some point in the movie. But Bill Murray's character is supposed to be a bit of an asshole at that point.
I honestly don't recall this anywhere. I could be mistaken. And not to make room for racism, but your point about him being an asshole character at times is true.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no getting around the fact that so many 80's comedies just wouldn't fly today.

But man, being of a different place and time it's hard to not still feel nostalgic for them if you were around to see them back in the day.

16 Candles, Breakfast Club, Animal House, Trading Places, Revenge of the Nerds are among my favorites of all time.

Esp. 16 Candles. Tied with Amélie as my #1 fave.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
What is the racist joke? Near the end when he says "Aren't you supposed to say "have a good fright?" or when he makes a joke about people being short? Genuinely curious, I can't recall
There's a scene at a restaurant where he mentions something about a "black toe" with a really bad accent in reference to the toe Scarlett injured earlier.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't recall this anywhere. I could be mistaken. And not to make room for racism, but your point about him being an asshole character at times is true.
Yeah, I also do not think that LiT is racist or didn't agre well. It's still a very good movie that actually does portray Japanese/Tokyo culture in a very endearing way, but I guess I could see the argument of it aging poorly.

Oh which reminds me:
These two
rachel-deckard-2.jpg

There's Something About "Blade Runner" | Features | Roger Ebert

A new look at the role of hero and villain in Ridley Scott's "Blade Runner."
Uh, what? How exactly did this not age well? The rape scene is very awkward, but it didn't not age well insofar that it was always a very weird, awkward scene.

As for that article, as another poster here has pointed out: I'm not too sure about Blade Runner portraying Deckard as the hero. To me, Roy Batty was always a far more relatable and noble character than Deckard who was always super scummy.

Maybe Ridley Scott doesn't see it that way, but that's the beauty of art... what the creator thinks is the meaning isn't necessarily what everybody has to think it means.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Not that Boat Trip is problematic, but it does sort of have a good message at the end in which the homophobic character learns that gay people are good caring people and all his fears are things he should be ashamed about. It's def a product of it's time.

Dude Where's My Car is pretty transphobic in areas, it really ruins what used to be a fun movie for me.

Edit: I love superbad but all the faggle jokes really are cringeworthy now. The whole movie is also all about getting their crushes drunk so they can get with them, but the ending message is that they were wrong for that and to get the girls to like them, all they had to do was be themselves. So it's problematic with a positive message I guess?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Movies age all the time in a variety of ways, but I can't think of a movie that I loved once and then later despised.

I guess the closest to that is maybe The Dark Knight (or even Nolan in general). From think it was a modern classic to being mostly indifferent about it. I was more impressionable in my youth I guess. :p

The Farrelly comedies have always been awful, never liked them.
Anything to do with hacking in the 90s.

Excuse you.

tenor.gif

Hard disagree, I've actually come back around on it since loving it and then making fun of it like most of us did in the 2010s. Super fun. Incredibly well made. Mostly pretty good politics actually (the u.s. military is evil imperial shit). Like, that movie got people to stand up and cheer in the theater for U.S. soldier-standins getting absolutely Bodied by an insurgent indigenous population. In 2009.

Agreed. The CGI has held up impressively well too all things considered, and when it comes to providing a real sense of adventure I'm not sure a single movie has done it better since.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Avatar's straight-faced white savior storyline has gotten worse over time. The unapologetic nature of the trope becomes amplified with the aliens obviously being based on Native Americans for visual shorthand.

Always maintained Avatar would've been vastly more interesting if Cameron made the aliens look 'alien' rather than blue humanoids.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I also do not think that LiT is racist or didn't agre well. It's still a very good movie that actually does portray Japanese/Tokyo culture in a very endearing way, but I guess I could see the argument of it aging poorly.

Uh, what? How exactly did this not age well? The rape scene is very awkward, but it didn't not age well insofar that it was always a very weird, awkward scene.

As for that article, as another poster here has pointed out: I'm not too sure about Blade Runner portraying Deckard as the hero. To me, Roy Batty was always a far more relatable and noble character than Deckard who was always super scummy.

Maybe Ridley Scott doesn't see it that way, but that's the beauty of art... what the creator thinks is the meaning isn't necessarily what everybody has to think it means.

My problem with the Blade Runner scene is that it's deliberately played as a romantic scene with the sexy saxophone music.

If Deckard was truly meant to be a scumbag in that scene the framing should have been different.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
My problem with the Blade Runner scene is that it's deliberately played as a romantic scene with the sexy saxophone music.

If Deckard was truly meant to be a scumbag in that scene the framing should have been different.
Which is a fair criticism and I agree that the music makes that scene really awkward feeling, like Scott really thought that he was portraying some sort of deeply romantic scene. However, I still do not think it has aged badly, because despite the music, the scene itself is pretty in line with the rest of the movie portraying Deckard as an incredibly flawed person.

I mean, in a thread where we have comedies that made light hearted fun of some pretty damn heinous shit and basically encouraging it, the Blade Runner scene is really mild.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Pivoting away from all the sex crime stuff for a bit, I think having lived through the political climate of the past 5 years has really taken all the edge out of political conspiracy and technothriller type movies for me. There's no way I can derive any catharsis any more from climaxes where the protagonists finally get the big bad secret out in the open showing news anchors covering everything and the antagonist paying for what they've done. Because we know for sure now that isn't how things go down in the real world.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
I'd say Avatar's straight-faced white savior storyline has gotten worse over time. The unapologetic nature of the trope becomes amplified with the aliens obviously being based on Native Americans for visual shorthand.

Always maintained Avatar would've been vastly more interesting if Cameron made the aliens look 'alien' rather than blue humanoids.

I think the movie works a lot better if you think of it as a metaphor for Vietnam instead. Like, the soldiers in the end literally just look like Vietnam era Jar Heads.

I also think the white saviorism, while a little cringe, is kind of the point of the film. Like, the Jake Sully character comes from a dogshit culture that has totally abandoned him and he literally leaves it behind in the end. The film mentions that he lost the use of his legs after serving in conflicts in Nigeria and Venezuela - both regions populated mostly by people of color with large oil surpluses. Furthermore, the film specifies that the medicine exists to help him walk again, but he literally can't afford it because in the future we still have the same craven venal shitty cobbled together healthcare system that we have now.

So yeah, he is a white guy who does cool shit and saves the population with his neato skills, which is kind of lame. But he also does so largely by providing enemy intel that only someone from the opposing side could do. Idk. I think overall the film's politics, while a little cringe, are actually surprisingly good and straightforwardly anti-imperialist, especially considering it came out while the Iraq War was still grinding on.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
Would Love Actually qualify?
I only just saw it. Was it always so obvious that nearly all the relationships are fucked up?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every raunchy comedy from the late '70s and '80s.

Hollywood would add T&A into nearly anything low-brow, just to get men into the theatres hoping to catch a glimpse.
Yeah the T&A always felt so out place. Half the time they would just have some big breasted woman cast for that particular scene.

Another one from that same period was the incredibly weird insertion of white people writing these incredibly stupid scenes for black people. So many of those movies have these weird scenes with exaggerated "jive talking". I feel that changed when Hollywood Shuffle made fun of it.

I don't agree at all with the people citing Dark Knight. That movie is just as good as it was on release. Nolan can really put together an amazing scene. Seeing DK and Interstellar in IMAX is something that would still be incredible if it was released today.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Dude Where's My Car where the trans rep gets disguise from the leads an played for laughs
Almost every early 2000s comedy

and of course

SOUL MAN

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Soapdish counts with its ending. Which especially hurts as I loved Cathy Moriarty's role.

CKDexterHaven

Nov 26, 2017
I can perhaps see how it may be different in the US, but at least in Spain, Independence Day was the butt of jokes since the very day it premiered. Even as I watching it I realized it was the worst movie I had ever seen in a theater, and it remains so until today. It only aged badly in the sense that a dog turd ages badly.
At least the smell of the turd goes away after it desiccates.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
While good, Total Recall looks old even for something from 1990.
I was showing my wife Total Recall for the first time the other day, and we couldn't believe how dated it looked. Either we're misremembering what 90's movies looked like, or its visual style makes it look way more dated than it is.

It still has a lot of charm though, because it has that whole "what the past thought the future would look like" aesthetic going for it.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The Rush Hour movies have gotten a bit weird for me in some ways, but probably bc I didn't know how much of an asshole Chris Tucker's char was as a kid lol

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I think the movie works a lot better if you think of it as a metaphor for Vietnam instead. Like, the soldiers in the end literally just look like Vietnam era Jar Heads.

I also think the white saviorism, while a little cringe, is kind of the point of the film. Like, the Jake Sully character comes from a dogshit culture that has totally abandoned him and he literally leaves it behind in the end. The film mentions that he lost the use of his legs after serving in conflicts in Nigeria and Venezuela - both regions populated mostly by people of color with large oil surpluses. Furthermore, the film specifies that the medicine exists to help him walk again, but he literally can't afford it because in the future we still have the same craven venal shitty cobbled together healthcare system that we have now.

So yeah, he is a white guy who does cool shit and saves the population with his neato skills, which is kind of lame. But he also does so largely by providing enemy intel that only someone from the opposing side could do. Idk. I think overall the film's politics, while a little cringe, are actually surprisingly good and straightforwardly anti-imperialist, especially considering it came out while the Iraq War was still grinding on.

While I agree about the anti-imperialist themes being the main point, this becomes muddied when the movie tries to have its cake and eat it too. Avatar's White savior trope within the narrative might not be from malicious intent, it's still pretty uncritical about a white guy who joins a fetishized(bordering on noble savages trope) 'native' culture and becomes the savior. He becomes the leader alien not long after learning their ways, gets the culturally important big dragon-bird thing, helps the aliens prepare for the war and unites all the 'tribes', and gets with the chief's daughter. Metaphor can only work so far when the film slaps you continually with its blatant, uncritcal tropes.

Related, the music of avatar has some hilarious implications

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
The Rush Hour movies have gotten a bit weird for me in some ways, but probably bc I didn't know how much of an asshole Chris Tucker's char was as a kid lol
Same. I loved these movies when I was young, but watching them now all I hear is one racist joke after another. The movies still have a lot of heart so it hasn't ruined my ability to watch them but I can't laugh at them anymore.

Really, if it's a 1980s comedy, any time a queer (or queer-coded) character shows up it has probably aged poorly (or rather, was never funny in the first place, but society thought otherwise). Just about the only exception I can readily think of is in Risky Business, and that scene is kind of astounding since it's a kid being pranked by having a black trans(?)* prostitute called over to his house and somehow it isn't the worst thing ever.

* I say trans because the character isn't specified as being trans or a drag queen, and it's dubious whether the people making the movie understood the difference, it being the 1980s.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
The funny thing is that a lot of good movies from the period 1935 till 1965 have aged much better and have a more timeless quality than movies from the period 1965 till 1995. How good movies age from the period 1995 till 2025 has yet to be seen but somehow I think they also have a lot more timeless quality than those from 1965 till 1995.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Reading this thread, It seems like comedy is the genre that holds up the least over the course of time. Interesting.
Sensibilities change. Comedy is largely written based on what audiences find funny or acceptable at the time and now just looks horrific. Even 10ish years ago you had people mocking the idea of gay marriage in huge comedies like it was the sickest most absurd thing ever.

For my pick, I say The Birth of a Nation aged like pure shit. It is pure Klan propoganda that set eh country back decades.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like John Hughes stuff from 80's is a hit or miss. Sure, the Van Wilder and Revenge of Nerds, 16 candles,etc might not have aged well. But Ferris Buellers Day Off and Planes, Trains and Automobiles aged just fine. Absolutely classics.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Same. I loved these movies when I was young, but watching them now all I hear is one racist joke after another. The movies still have a lot of heart so it hasn't ruined my ability to watch them but I can't laugh at them anymore.
Yea on a recent rewatch I liked seeing some things like Lee outsmarting Carter or doing his thing and when Carter is being genuine with Lee. But 95% of what Carter says is dumb stuff in numerous ways lol

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Out of interest I'm wondering what the last big hit mainstream comedies were that were so casual about Homophobia, transphobia or racism with no backlash at the time of release

The 'you know how I know you're gay' exchange from 40 year old virgin and the transphobia in Hangover 2 spring to mind but has there been much since?

I would assume there's evidence of transphobia more recently though

Oct 26, 2017
I watched last week and that did pop out to me but that's about it. I was in the bathroom for the prostitute scene but imagine that could be something as well with the rip v lip thing. But that's not quite the same i guess