lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Stretching "no one has seen" a bit, but I'd argue not a ton of people my age (32) or younger would be familiar with it

Sneakers from 1992, excellent caper movie

Sneakersmovie.jpg

Robert Redford
Dan Aykroyd
Ben Kingsley
Mary McDonnell
River Phoenix
Sidney Poitier
David Strathairn
James Earl Jones
Stephen Tobolowsky
Donal Logue

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Seems like when these threads pop up no one has even heard of Sneakers (1992 mentioned already in this thread) and The Dish with Sam Neil, Patrick Warburton, etc...
I've seen both of these movies lol (also 32)

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I feel like now days very few people have seen or heard of Nashville
images

View: https://youtu.be/Ty3oclCA-uM

Nashville was a hit in the 70s and has ongoing cultural relevance to this day. Sure, a lot of people haven't seen it in the year 2023, in the same way that every movie made before 1980 not named Star Wars, The Godfather, Gone With the Wind, or The Wizard of Oz has a ton of people who haven't seen it, but its an incredibly well known movie within its time, and within circles of those who care about film. By this standard you could literally list 99% of the movies made before 1980 and they'd count.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Jupiter Ascending has an amazing cast and is a quality good time, and yet I'm pretty sure that got massively panned when it came out.

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Still feel hardly anyone watched Lucky Number Slevin.
  • Josh Hartnett
  • Bruce Willis
  • Lucy Liu
  • Morgan Freeman
  • Ben Kingsley
  • Stanley Tucci

CalmYeti

Oct 27, 2017
Adore this absurd send up of rom-coms to bits. The cast is stacked with great performers you've probably seen in a bunch of sitcoms.

• Paul Rudd
  • Amy Poehler
  • Bill Hader
  • Ed Helms
  • Ellie Kemper
  • Christopher Meloni
  • Jason Mantzoukas
  • Michael Ian Black
  • Randall Park
  • Teyonah Parris
  • Jack McBrayer
  • Kenan Thompson
  • Cobie Smulders
  • Ken Marino
  • Judge freaking Judy!

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Adore this absurd send up of rom-coms to bits. The cast is stacked with great performers you've probably seen in a bunch of sitcoms.

• Paul Rudd
  • Amy Poehler
  • Bill Hader
  • Ed Helms
  • Ellie Kemper
  • Christopher Meloni
  • Jason Mantzoukas
  • Michael Ian Black
  • Randall Park
  • Teyonah Parris
  • Jack McBrayer
  • Kenan Thompson
  • Cobie Smulders
  • Ken Marino
  • Judge freaking Judy!
Oh this is a great shout. Has my absolute favorite Chris Meloni scene in it (the Halloween party)

Oct 27, 2017
Gentlemen Broncos.

Jermaine Clement
Sam Rockwell
Jennifer Coolidge
Hector Jiminez

I really like it, if you enjoyed Napoleon Dynamite it's very much in the same vein.

movieposter.jpg

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
7 Psychopaths (director of In Bruges and The Banshees of Inisherin)

Colin Farrell
Sam Rockwell
Woody
Christopher Walken

Oct 31, 2017
73941.jpg

Cast is stacked, but this movie was delayed by a year since it was supposed to be released around 9/11 and there's a plot point involving a bomb on a plane.

Also, I love this movie, but no one has barely heard of it

SuperDevilJoe

Dec 27, 2021
MV5BMTc5MzQxNTU3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODE2MzIzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Not the most stacked cast, but there's a few big names past the top 4 billed, and I was the only person I knew that watched (and Like!) this movie until I showed my wife a year or 2 ago.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to be that guy, but at least 90% of this thread is fairly well known stuff. Like, the films aren't enormous, but they did well at release.
This is more of what I think of. Films that made less than 10m (maybe 20m) and haven't survived in the enthusiast sphere based on reputation.

Last edited:

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Mystery Men.

Ben Stiller, Hank Azaria, William H. Macy, Paul Reubens, Kel Mitchell, Geoffrey Rush, and more. Loved it since I was a kid, but have never heard a single other person in my life reference it.

It was ahead of its time, being a superhero parody literally right before the superhero movie boom started.

Stencil

Mailing Out Their Business
Oct 30, 2017
USA
Mars Attacks!

I saw it in an empty theater with my dad. The full cast list is bonkers.
FD900390-046-C-4221-A2-C7-CA72-EF1-ABF59.jpg
Dude what! Lol no way. This movie was preceded and followed by a marketing blitz and merchandising the likes of which no Tim Burton film had up until that point (edit ok save for Batman). It was all over the place.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I hate to be that guy, but at least 90% of this thread is fairly well known stuff. Like, the films aren't enormous, but they did well at release.

This is more of what I think of. Films that made less than 10m (maybe 20m) and haven't survived in the enthusiast sphere based on reputation.

Agreed. As an aside, I remember seeing this movie a long time ago and it's just coming together that it was Jeffrey Wright in that role.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
Dude what! Lol no way. This movie was preceded and followed by a marketing blitz and merchandising the likes of which no Tim Burton film had up until that point (edit ok save for Batman). It was all over the place.

according to boxofficemojo it made less than 40 million domestically.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
The Meyerowitz Stories with Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Dustin Hoffman, Adam Driver, and Emma Thompson.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

While it seems to be pretty well-regarded in more film-savvy spheres and earned a few nominations, it was a pretty lowkey Netflix releasee.

I did watch it, it was alright. I wouldn't go around recommending it for someone unless they really into Noah Baumbach's other movies.

Deleted member 129013

Dec 12, 2022
Oscar. What a cast for a movie no one ever talks about.

kingofrod

Oct 27, 2017
Southland_Tales.png

Freaking Southland Tales.

Amy Poehler
Cheri Oteri
Christopher Lambert
Dwayne Johnson
Janeane Garofalo
John Larroquette
Jon Lovitz
Justin Timberlake
Kevin Smith
Mandy Moore
Nora Dunn
Rebekah Del Rio
Sarah Michelle Gellar
Seann William Scott
Will Sasso

And probably more I can't remember! No idea what's happening in this movie but famous people just kept showing up.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
0ig1nFrl.jpeg

Directed by: Allison Anders, Alexandre Rockwell, Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Tom Roth, Madonna, Antonio Banderas, Tamlyn Tomita, Marisa Tomei, Kathy Griffin, Lili Taylor, Alicia Witt, Valeria Golino
Cameos by: Bruce Willis, Salma Hayek

That's a good one. Nobody I know has seen it.

My pick.
MV5BZmYyOGUzOGUtYjdjYy00NmRlLTllYjAtZmM4NGZhNzc5Nzk2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

The cast is pretty small, but Pullman is as good as ever, Stiller was still fresh. Kim Dickens gives a really good performance imo.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
My pick.
The cast is pretty small, but Pullman is as good as ever, Stiller was still fresh. Kim Dickens gives a really good performance imo.
Oh that sounds great, definitely gonna watch this one

Oscar. What a cast for a movie no one ever talks about.
This one sounds interesting, great cast (including a super early Marisa Tomei) and directed by John Landis, 12% on rotten but Siskel and Ebert both gave a good review. Think I'll give this one a shot too

Last edited:

Stencil

Mailing Out Their Business
Oct 30, 2017
USA
Southland_Tales.png

Freaking Southland Tales.

Amy Poehler
Cheri Oteri
Christopher Lambert
Dwayne Johnson
Janeane Garofalo
John Larroquette
Jon Lovitz
Justin Timberlake
Kevin Smith
Mandy Moore
Nora Dunn
Rebekah Del Rio
Sarah Michelle Gellar
Seann William Scott
Will Sasso

And probably more I can't remember! No idea what's happening in this movie but famous people just kept showing up.
I remember this one because it was the directors follow up to Donnie Darko, which I was obsessed with at the time. I couldn't get through 30 minutes. Had no idea all those actors were in it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Mystery Men.

Ben Stiller, Hank Azaria, William H. Macy, Paul Reubens, Kel Mitchell, Geoffrey Rush, and more. Loved it since I was a kid, but have never heard a single other person in my life reference it.

It was ahead of its time, being a superhero parody literally right before the superhero movie boom started.
While it was a bomb, Mystery Men still made over $35m and has become a cult film. Something else with Ben Stiller that fits better would be Zero Effect:

letterboxd.com

Zero Effect (1998)

Daryl Zero is a private investigator and—along with his assistant, Steve Arlo—he solves impossible crimes and puzzles. Although Daryl's a master investigator, he doesn't know what to do with himself when he's not working; he has no social skills, writes bad music and drives Steve crazy.

With him alongside Bill Pullman, Ryan O'Neal, Kim Dickens and Angela Featherstone. Made less than $2m, and isn't widely known (but is very good!). Or...

letterboxd.com

Greenberg (2010)

A New Yorker moves to Los Angeles in order to figure out his life while he housesits for his brother, and he soon sparks with his brother's assistant.

Ben Stiller, Greta Gerwig, Brie Larson, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Rhys Ifans, Mark Duplass, Dave Franco, blah blah. $7.4m. And yet another Ben Stiller:

letterboxd.com

Flirting with Disaster (1996)

Adopted as a child, new father Mel Colpin decides he cannot name his son until he knows his birth parents, and determines to make a cross-country quest to find them. Accompanied by his wife, Nancy, and an inept yet gorgeous adoption agent, Tina, he departs on an epic road trip that quickly...

Ben Stiller, Patricia Arquette, Teo Leoni, Alan Alda, Lily Tomlin, Richard Jenkins, Josh Brolin, Mary Tyler Moore and more. $14.7m. Maybe doesn't fit because it didn't actually bomb.

One of Richard Linklater's best films (and that has aged like fine wine post-MeToo), Tape:

letterboxd.com

Tape (2001)

Three old high school friends meet in a Michigan motel room to dissect painful memories from their past.

Stars Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard and Uma Thurman (they're the only three characters in it). Made $500k.

letterboxd.com

Buffalo Soldiers (2001)

A criminal subculture operates among U.S. soldiers stationed in West Germany just before the fall of the Berlin wall.

Joaquin Phoenix, Ed Harris, Anna Paquin, Michael Pena, Scott Glenn, Dean Stockwell, Idris Elba, Elizabeth McGovern, blah blah. $2.3m.

letterboxd.com

Living in Oblivion (1995)

Nick is the director of a low-budget indie film. He tries to keep everything together as his production is plagued with an insecure actress, a megalomaniac star, a pretentious, beret-wearing director of photography, and lousy catering.

Steve Buscemi, Catherine Keener, Dermot Mulroney, Peter Dinklage, plus a bunch of on sight but not name actors. $1.1m BO.

letterboxd.com

The Party (2017)

Various individuals think they’re coming together for a party in a private home, but a series of revelations results in a huge crisis that throws their belief systems – and their values – into total disarray.

Has Cillian Murphy, Patricia Clarkson, Timothy Spall, Emily Mortimer, Kristin Scott Thomas, Bruno Ganz and Cherry Jones in it. $5.5m.

letterboxd.com

The Last Days of Disco (1998)

Two young women and their friends spend spare time at an exclusive nightclub in 1980s New York.

Features Kate Beckinsale, Chloe Sevigny, Robert Sean Leonard, Jennifer Beals, Michael Weatherly, Chris Eigeman, etc (lots of folks recognisable by face but not by name), and made $3m. I kinda hesitated with this one because it's critically super well known and regarded, has a Criterion release, etc, but is still sub 30k watched on Letterboxd.

letterboxd.com

Margot at the Wedding (2007)

Margot Zeller is a short story writer with a sharp wit and an even sharper tongue. On the eve of her estranged sister Pauline's wedding to unemployed musician/artist/depressive Malcolm at the family seaside home, Margot shows up unexpectedly to rekindle the sisterly bond and offer her own brand...

Nicole Kidman, Jack Black, Jennifer Jason Leigh, John Turturro and Ciaran Hinds. $3m.

letterboxd.com

Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)

A seven-year-old chess prodigy refuses to harden himself in order to become a champion like the famous but unlikable Bobby Fischer.

Ben Kingsley, Laurence Fishburne, Joe Mantegna, Joan Allen, William H. Macy, Laura Linney, Tony Shalhoub, David Paymer, and so on. $7.2m.

letterboxd.com

Armageddon Time (2022)

In 1980, Queens, New York, a young Jewish boy befriends a rebellious African-American classmate to the disapproval of his privileged family and begins to reckon with growing up in a world of inequality and prejudice.

Anthony Hopkins, Anne Hathaway, Jeremy Strong, Jessica Chastain, plus child actors who will probably be big in the future. $6m.

And every Woody Allen film bar a few since the 80s, the casts of which would obliterate literally everything. For instance, Everyone Says I Love You:

letterboxd.com

Everyone Says I Love You (1996)

A New York girl sets her father up with a beautiful woman in a shaky marriage while her half sister gets engaged.

With Drew Barrymore, Edward Norton, Julia Roberts, Goldie Hawn, Natalie Portman, Natasha Lyonne, Alan Alda, Tim Roth, Billy Crudup, Lukas Haas and so on. $9.8m.

Everything mentioned here is a good movie btw (7/10 or above), made below $20m and has less than 50k people that have logged it on Letterboxd. Some are cheats because they're from well known directors, but I just went for the stuff that instantly came to mind instead of plumbing the depths.

One last thing is Heat Vision and Jack, which is a television pilot that wasn't picked up to series. It's from someone I haven't mentioned yet in this comment... Ben Stiller! But he directed it, and it's awesome. Stars Jack Black, Owen Wilson, Ron Silver, Christine Taylor and Vincent Schiavelli. It's also written by Dan Harmon and is about an astronaut who gained superintelligence by flying too close to the sun, and is now on the run from NASA with his talking motorbike.

You can watch it here:

www.youtube.com

Heat Vision and Jack

Heat Vision and Jack was created as a 1999 pilot for Fox. Written by Dan Harmon and Rob Schrab, directed by Ben Stiller, this series was passed over by Fox d...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lWgXDOAJ5s
letterboxd.com

Heat Vision and Jack (1999)

As the result of a NASA miscalculation, Astronaut Jack Austin flew too close to the sun, the rays expanding his mind and making him the smartest man on the planet. Now he and his talking motorcycle (who contains the mind of his former roommate) are on the run from NASA and their assassin, actor...
That's a good one. Nobody I know has seen it.

My pick.
MV5BZmYyOGUzOGUtYjdjYy00NmRlLTllYjAtZmM4NGZhNzc5Nzk2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Curses, you beat me to it while I was typing :P!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
My pick.

Literally came into the thread to post this, it's a great detective story (a riff on Sherlock Holmes) that would probably do better in this era of Knives Out etc but no one I know has seen it.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
While it was a bomb, Mystery Men still made over $35m and has become a cult film. Something else with Ben Stiller that fits better would be Zero Effect:

letterboxd.com

Zero Effect (1998)

Daryl Zero is a private investigator and—along with his assistant, Steve Arlo—he solves impossible crimes and puzzles. Although Daryl's a master investigator, he doesn't know what to do with himself when he's not working; he has no social skills, writes bad music and drives Steve crazy.

With him alongside Bill Pullman, Ryan O'Neal, Kim Dickens and Angela Featherstone. Made less than $2m, and isn't widely known (but is very good!). Or...

letterboxd.com

Greenberg (2010)

A New Yorker moves to Los Angeles in order to figure out his life while he housesits for his brother, and he soon sparks with his brother's assistant.

Ben Stiller, Greta Gerwig, Brie Larson, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Rhys Ifans, Mark Duplass, Dave Franco, blah blah. $7.4m. And yet another Ben Stiller:

letterboxd.com

Flirting with Disaster (1996)

Adopted as a child, new father Mel Colpin decides he cannot name his son until he knows his birth parents, and determines to make a cross-country quest to find them. Accompanied by his wife, Nancy, and an inept yet gorgeous adoption agent, Tina, he departs on an epic road trip that quickly...

Ben Stiller, Patricia Arquette, Teo Leoni, Alan Alda, Lily Tomlin, Richard Jenkins, Josh Brolin, Mary Tyler Moore and more. $14.7m. Maybe doesn't fit because it didn't actually bomb.

One of Richard Linklater's best films (and that has aged like fine wine post-MeToo), Tape:

letterboxd.com

Tape (2001)

Three old high school friends meet in a Michigan motel room to dissect painful memories from their past.

Stars Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard and Uma Thurman (they're the only three characters in it). Made $500k.

letterboxd.com

Buffalo Soldiers (2001)

A criminal subculture operates among U.S. soldiers stationed in West Germany just before the fall of the Berlin wall.

Joaquin Phoenix, Ed Harris, Anna Paquin, Michael Pena, Scott Glenn, Dean Stockwell, Idris Elba, Elizabeth McGovern, blah blah. $2.3m

letterboxd.com

Living in Oblivion (1995)

Nick is the director of a low-budget indie film. He tries to keep everything together as his production is plagued with an insecure actress, a megalomaniac star, a pretentious, beret-wearing director of photography, and lousy catering.

Steve Buscemi, Katherine Keener, Dermot Mulroney, Peter Dinklage, plus a bunch of on sight but not name actors. $1.1m BO.

letterboxd.com

The Party (2017)

Various individuals think they’re coming together for a party in a private home, but a series of revelations results in a huge crisis that throws their belief systems – and their values – into total disarray.

Has Cillian Murphy, Patricia Clarkson, Timothy Spall, Emily Mortimer, Kristin Scott Thomas, Bruno Ganz and Cherry Jones in it. $5.5m.

letterboxd.com

The Last Days of Disco (1998)

Two young women and their friends spend spare time at an exclusive nightclub in 1980s New York.

Features Kate Beckinsale, Chloe Sevigny, Robert Sean Leonard, Jennifer Beals, Michael Weatherly, Chris Eigeman, etc (lots of folks recognisable by face but not by name), and made $3m. I kinda hesitated with this one because it's critically super well known and regarded, has a Criterion release, etc, but is still sub 30k watched on Letterboxd.

letterboxd.com

Margot at the Wedding (2007)

Margot Zeller is a short story writer with a sharp wit and an even sharper tongue. On the eve of her estranged sister Pauline's wedding to unemployed musician/artist/depressive Malcolm at the family seaside home, Margot shows up unexpectedly to rekindle the sisterly bond and offer her own brand...

Nicole Kidman, Jack Black, Jennifer Jason Leigh, John Turturro and Ciaran Hinds. $3m.

letterboxd.com

Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)

A seven-year-old chess prodigy refuses to harden himself in order to become a champion like the famous but unlikable Bobby Fischer.

Ben Kingsley, Laurence Fishburne, Joe Mantegna, Joan Allen, William H. Macy, Laura Linney, Tony Shalhoub, David Paymer, and so on. $7.2m

letterboxd.com

Armageddon Time (2022)

In 1980, Queens, New York, a young Jewish boy befriends a rebellious African-American classmate to the disapproval of his privileged family and begins to reckon with growing up in a world of inequality and prejudice.

Anthony Hopkins, Anne Hathaway, Jeremy Strong, Jessica Chastain, plus child actors who will probably be big in the future. $6m.

And every Woody Allen film bar a few since the 80s, the casts of which would obliterate literally everything. For instance, Everyone Says I Love You:

letterboxd.com

Everyone Says I Love You (1996)

A New York girl sets her father up with a beautiful woman in a shaky marriage while her half sister gets engaged.

With Drew Barrymore, Edward Norton, Julia Roberts, Goldie Hawn, Natalie Portman, Natasha Lyonne, Alan Alda, Tim Roth, Billy Crudup, Lukas Haas and so on. $9.8m.

Everything mentioned here is a good movie btw (7/10 or above), made below $20m and has less than 50k people that have logged it on Letterboxd. Some are cheats because they're from well known directors, but I just went for the stuff that instantly came to mind instead of plumbing the depths.

One last thing is Heat Vision and Jack, which is a television pilot that wasn't picked up to series. It's from someone I haven't mentioned yet in this comment... Ben Stiller! But he directed it, and it's awesome. Stars Jack Black, Owen Wilson, Ron Silver, Christine Taylor and Vincent Schiavelli. It's also written by Dan Harmon and is about an astronaut who gained superintelligence by flying too close to the sun, and is now on the run from NASA with his talking motorbike.

You can watch it here:

www.youtube.com

Heat Vision and Jack

Heat Vision and Jack was created as a 1999 pilot for Fox. Written by Dan Harmon and Rob Schrab, directed by Ben Stiller, this series was passed over by Fox d...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lWgXDOAJ5s

Curses, you beat me to it while I was typing :P!

You had a lot more to type....looking through it now.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Literally came into the thread to post this, it's a great detective story (a riff on Sherlock Holmes) that would probably do better in this era of Knives Out etc but no one I know has seen it.

I only watched it because the box art caught my eye in the local renatal spot and then I saw Lone Starr(Pullman) and I was like I got to watch this. Later I saw that Siskel and Ebert gave two thumbs up, ect.

I just now watched a couple clips because I haven't seen it in awhile and I think it still works.

kingofrod

Oct 27, 2017
I remember this one because it was the directors follow up to Donnie Darko, which I was obsessed with at the time. I couldn't get through 30 minutes. Had no idea all those actors were in it.
Me too! I still love Donnie Darko, which makes it so much weirder that everything else he's done is either boring or just crazy bad.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I think School Ties should qualify... I don't think this movie really found an audience til VHS and even then, it wasn't a massive hit.

Brendan Fraser
Ben Affleck
Matt Damon
Chris O Donnell
Cole Hauser

Now if you mean movies that weren't the first role for these actors, you might look at any Martin McDonagh film. Three Billboards made 300k during its opening weekend. It didn't find an audience til Oscar season though Layer Cake may be an even better example. Daniel Craig, Sienna Miller, Tom Hardy and Michael Gambon. I doubt outside of most a small % of Snatch fans, very few people know this film exists.

Last edited:

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I always love these threads just for the absurdity of some of those "almost no one has seen" choices. Among other gems, we had True Romance listed so I can rest in peace.

Anyway, I will try Vengeance and Prospect from this list.