Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
George (The First): Pac-Man
*First Major video game mascot

Jeff (Father of Democracy): Pikachu
Games are revolved around making a lot of choices and are coming of age stories where kids get their freedom

Lincoln (The Figure): Mario
*Made a historic change and is well known by many not well versed in the subject

Theodore (The Man of Development): Solid Snake
*MGS was a major development in both graphics and gameplay

Tried to put what makes sense but some are stretching it a bit haha

Dec 25, 2017
I was going to joke about them being all loot boxes, but I was beaten.

Serious answer:
Pac-Man - Representing the beginning era of video games.
Mario - Representing the come back of gaming to the mainstream.
Ryu - Representing the entire arcade era (especially it's return in the 90s and with fighting games since then).
Cloud - Representing the present day games whose story lines involve watching cinematic events.

For the record, I'm a bit wasted so I don't remember who came first between Cloud or Solid Snake. If MGS came out before FFVII, then replace Cloud with Snake.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
What?! Teddy is pretty consistently top 5 according to scholars.

I'm sure he was a good president, but I just feel like if you take him off, move Lincoln over, and eliminate that odd space between him and Lincoln, Mount Rushmore would look much better. As it stands, they kind of have that "Let's all look in different directions" rock album cover thing going on.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
8wOc3eD.jpg
The correct answer.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
master chief, marcus fenix, the forza car, scalebound headphone dude
And for gamers who aren't Americans? Lol None of these characters would be considered iconic outside of the US and the U.K.

Mario
Link
Pikachu
Samus
Nathan Drake
Crash Bandicoot
The R34 GTR and the Castrol Supra in GT
Cloud
Sonic
Ryu (SF)
Jill Valentine

Any 4 of these

Powerpuff

Oct 28, 2017
If you have to name the series, then the character is not famous enough to deserve to be featured there.

DeciderVT

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Goodness, Master Chief is hardly on the same cultural level as Mario, Pac-Man or Sonic. Someone like Ryu would be a far more appropriate choice than a generic space marine.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Mario, Sonic, Lara Croft, Cloud.
Pac-Man is a weird one, he's popular, but more for the in game sprite, not his actual design.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pac-Man, to represent the arcade era and the genesis of video games.
Mario, to represent the revival of video games after its crash, and the popularization of home consoles.
Doom Guy, to represent the foundation of 3D gameplay and the FPS genre.
Cloud Strife, to represent the rise of JRPGs, anime style and cutscenes/cinematics replacing pure text.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Only two of the 10 core Mega Man games sold over a million copies, and just barely. He's not nearly as popular as people seem to think. He might belong on the 8-bit platformer Rushmore but certainly not the general gaming Rushmore.

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
I think Sonic and Mario have to be side by side because both are recognizable worldwide even by non players and kinda started the hardware/software war that led to Playstation's birth. Pacman likewise is well known worldwide and represents the old school. The last one is hard but I think Solid Snake to represent the high production values, cinematic, 3D experience.

PacMan
Mario
Sonic
Solid Snake

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Mario
Sonic
Master Chief
Lara Croft/Solid Snake/Crash/Cloud

The problem with trying to represent Sony is until relatively recently most of the instantly recognisable characters associated with Playstation do not belong to Sony themselves. If I had to pick one of those four outright, it'd probably be Lara for being one of the most notable female characters too.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Mario, Link, Pac, Lara?
Mario, Link, Lara, Cloud?
Mario, Link, Lara, Wander?
Mario, Link, Wander, Gordon?

Edit: Sonic may be recognizable from cross-marketing but his quality is dubious. He's been in four good games.

Mario saved gaming and is the industry's most iconic figure.
Lara invigorated gaming's jump to 3D (even if Mario stuck the landing).
Pac was the earliest superstar even if that star has faded since the 1980's.
Donkey Kong and Pikachu are an early and an ongoing fixture but it's just too much Nintendo.
Wander is among the earliest "Games are art" protagonists and a contender for best game ever made.
Gordon Freeman is PC Gaming's champion and a contender for best game of all-time in his own right.

Last edited: