• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you have any motion sickness problems with RE Village Maiden demo?

• No problems at all, it felt and controlled fine.

Votes: 255 66.1%
  • It felt ‚off‘ somehow, but I had no problems playing the game.

Votes: 71 18.4%
  • I had mild motion sickness playing the game, but I will adapt.

Votes: 27 7.0%
  • I had strong motion sickness. The game needs to be improved before I can play.

Votes: 33 8.5%

• Total voters

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I felt it a tiny bit, but my wife who was watching me felt super motion sick after a couple mins watching and had to stop looking at a tv for an hour to get her head right. Something is definitely off in the way it's set up. And she has no problem with other FPSs (she plays Overwatch daily). And we were playing on an 85" Sony x900h.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I had no problems but I hate that low FOV. If they don`t put a FOV option in the console versions, I buy the PC version.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread kinda makes me want to try RE7 in 2D. I was fine with it in VR, but it sounds like something that would destroy me on a TV.

I can play VR games for hours no issues, so no problem with this demo, all good.

I can play VR games for hours and Half-Life 2 made me throw up in under a minute once the walking simulator intro was over.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019
I noticed it right away. It reminded me of The Witness before it was patched to include an "aiming" reticle. I suspect this won't be an issue with the main game as you will have weapons.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same from RE7 even with the camera wobbling off the combination of the very low FOV and slow nature of the game causes me to be sick. Which was my main fears about this game since the PC version of RE7 didn't have high adjustable FOV I expect the same will happens with Village.

olimpia84

Nov 1, 2017
Tampa Bay
I remember RE7 gave some motion sickness and that kind of pushed me from completing the game. FOV sliders are a must for these types of games.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I can play VR games for hours and Half-Life 2 made me throw up in under a minute once the walking simulator intro was over.
This is exactly why data points from someone else are unlikely to be a good indicator what impact on yourself will be like.
Eg. for me - RE4 made me violently motion sick - the only 3rd Person game to ever have that effect (at least that I can remember). No issues with RE7 though in VR or 2d.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Half Life 2 is still the worst motion sickness I've ever had from a game, it used to come on strong after literally 2 minutes of playing

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
Had to drop a playthrough l was watching halfway. Them fast jerky claustrophobic camera movements started feeling like a mini seizure after a while.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I didn't have an issue, except the FOOTSTEPS ARE SO LOUD.

If they lowered the volume of the footsteps 50% it would be ok.

But the entire demo, I was constantly thinking of the footsteps.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I had some motion sickness playing the game and in my personal case this is caused by not having a crosshair on screen. I really hope they let you put a small dot in the center in the final game because that would help a ton. The game has a somewhat narrow field of view and I wish that was adjustable a bit too as narrow FOV can cause issues, especially if you play the game using a smaller monitor rather than a big TV.

I have experience this issue with other games. Half-Life 2 and Gears of War 5 are notable games that cause motion sickness for me. I think HL2 is somehow too "smooth" feeling. Gears of War 5 I played on PC so it runs at something like 90 fps at least on my system. I noticed that when I used my Samsung CRG9's crosshair feature on it, all my motion sickness problems disappeared completely.

So for this game, adding that tiny crosshair dot that is visible all the time no matter if you have a gun selected or not would most likely fix it for others too. I wish it was a standard accessibility feature, hell even a system option on consoles because it can make all the difference. I will most likely get the game on PC because then it's at least moddable in with say ReShade.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I voted no, but then later my girlfriend played and she started to feel it. She couldn't even finish the demo. We recently upgraded to a 65 inch screen, maybe it has some relation?

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I actually got motion sickness playing the demo. It's weird that it didn't happen to me playing re7 though.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
i got motion sickness and i usually dun play FPS games but i played RE7 cos i love the series since RE1 on PS1

it took me a long time to complete RE7 , but i will be doing the same for RE village

i need to rest for an hour or so after the puking feeling kicks in

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
One of the most nausea-inducing experiences I've ever had before turning off wobble and acceleration and increasing the sensitivity. Still didn't feel great but I guess that was the framerate.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I only started playing this tonight, and I immediately noticed something felt off. Will have to try some of the suggestions in here. The only other first-person game to make me feel strange was The Witness.

OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Ugh of course the final game is unchanged and makes me feel dizzy. I should have known better… maybe a mod can change the title/poll from Maiden Demo to Resident Evil Village in general.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Not for me but sadly my daughter who loves to watch me play got a headache from it. We'll just go through slowly.

PDXJon

Nov 25, 2017
This is fascinating that a thread exists about this! I wasn't playing it, but was watching FightingCowboy's stream yesterday and got pretty queesy. This never happens to me in games, so it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one. I can see the wobble contributing to it for sure. I had to stop watching it was bad enough.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
No motion sickness for me, but I most certainly WOULD have an issue if I left camera bob on. Makes me sick every time.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I got motion sick in the maiden demo. For the village and castle demos I turned off camera bob and acceleration and that fixed it for me. Same for the main game.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
This is one reason why I completely skipped this and RE7 despite loving the series. I can't even watch Max playing it longer than 30 min.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
First person games don't seem to give me motion sickness, this one included. Though I was watching someone play Returnal and that camera movement made me feel it a bit queasy, though I got used to it after 10-15 minutes or so.

I do think they should give options to increase FOV and remove vignetting, because it obstructs the view too much and makes it dark. The view does feel feels a bit cramped because of these things.

OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I think I will play the game in short bursts and try to get my brain calibrated. I remember feeling bad at the beginning of RE7, too. Right now I am happy I did not upgrade my 65 inch to a larger screen yet. 😂

Maybe Capcom wants the player to feel sick to add to the atmosphere… 😵

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The FOV is just too low vertically. Used the FOV mod on PC and put it up only like 5 degrees and the game was so much more comfortable.

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
Got no motion sickness from the Maiden demo...but got seriously sick with the next ones.... Unplayable to me.

Baffling as I can play whatever game I want with no problem at all...

Except VR: i can't play in VR. I get sick immediately.

OP
OP
th1nk

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah if people who normally can play any game they want get sick after a few minutes in your game, then there most likely is something wrong with the game. I read on google that there are multiple streamers who also got dizzy. The modding scene is stepping up for the PC release with FOV patches, but console gamers might be fucked? 🤮