Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone loves a nice explosion. But which is the most impressive on screen explosion?

And why is it Deepwater Horizon?

ThirdDisloyalBlackandtancoonhound-small.gif

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Deepwater's was awe-inspiring. Some that came to mind as I read the title were Blown Away, Demolition Man and Die Hard 3.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure, but it's interesting that despite the ubiquity of huge explosions, none have anything close to the impact of that one in Tianjin a few years back. Even film of hydrogen bomb test detonations don't feel so impactful.

Edit: not from a movie, but the one from Blackwater Bay in Game of Thrones was impressive.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
The Death Star, A New Hope.

The White House in Independence Day. Never have I witnessed so much cheering for an explosion.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
It's Daylight

It's like this part was done by a totally different director because the rest of the film is a boring drama.

Dec 16, 2017
The Death Star, A New Hope.

The White House in Independence Day. Never have I witnessed so much cheering for an explosion.
I think the Death Star explosion is pretty blah, technically speaking. It's the story that makes it special.

Independence Day was pretty impressive.

I was really impressed by the helicopter explosion in the first Matrix when the building's glass rippled.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Children of Men - I just got done watching this movie for the 4th time last night.

Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time, and is quite surreal how the movie has lined up with the trajectory of the current political events is scary.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Apocalypse Now's opening napalm strike is GOAT. Practical trumps CGI every time because fire is so hard to render convincingly. I see something like Deepwater and I'm just distracted by how phoney it looks.

Also the huge explosion in Mad Max Fury Road was amazing even though it was digitally assisted IIRC.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it's the best, but I have a special place for the nuke in Terminator 2.

Rickelodeon

Oct 25, 2017
Here's some kino-splosion for yall from my guy Seagal

EASY

I finally had an excuse to post that great clip, my real answer though would probably be this

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018

I always thought this implied explosion from Sum of All Fears was REALLY well done. Especially the hospital shot.

Nov 7, 2017
The nuke at the end of Aliens is pretty epic. I always loved the drop ship crash though. Crunchy, loud and a piece of metal clanks out at the end past the camera.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I think the Death Star explosion is pretty blah, technically speaking. It's the story that makes it special.

Independence Day was pretty impressive.

I was really impressed by the helicopter explosion in the first Matrix when the building's glass rippled.

I imagine it was impressive for its time, but nowadays, not so much, it's true.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I like the Independence Day one but I still wonder why that one guy was filing papers and why all traffic was headed towards the explosion.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The one that comes to mind:

madmax3lcwf.gif

EDIT: God f*cking dammit, beaten in the time it took to reupload the bloody thing.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some good entries already, here are a couple that always stuck with me.

Fifth element - was the record for largest indoor explosion at the time.

Demolition man - the music and sheer scale makes this one really memorable for me.