ilfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have both and nooooo way is mk8 more impressive. Sorry just my opinion and its not even close. Art style aside lets be hinest.
I have both too, and I find MK8 more impressive.

Art style aside? It's not really the art style that makes it so impressive; it's the visual art as a whole, which is the same thing that makes just about any game visually impressive. Driveclub is impressive because its depiction of cars and environments are striking--sections of the Japan course, with its cherry blossoms, and the way the paint on the beautifully modeled cars reflect the enviroment, for instance. It's just that MK8 looks even better. The art style could be ultra-realism, or cell shading, or vintage animation like Cuphead, but those styles in and of themselves are not what makes games look good or bad; it's the art as a whole; the skill, the taste, and the execution.

ilfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey considering it runs on a mobile phone chip. Other than that not much impresses me on consoles as I can run everything but the exclusives(that rarely are 60FPS, if ever) at 60FPS on my 3 year old PC.
Odyssey looks impressive regardless of what it's running on.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I know the new hotness is BF2, but my vote still goes towards Battlefield 1 on Pro. (X patch will be even better I assume)

It looks fine as hell, and has SIXTY-FOUR players at once, way more destruction, and bigger infantry maps than any other game so far.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually the other way around where the X struggles to maintain 60fps more than the Pro given the resolution bump on X.
Wow... This is why we need video settings on consoles, I hate the idea that I can have better hardware and still worse performance after upgrading because I'm forced to run at a higher setting on the faster box. On PC I never ever go further than what my system can handle at 60fps.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite Warfare. People always complained about CoD graphics last gen, this gen though they look really good if you ask me and IW is just ridiculous. Very pretty game with solid performance. Much stronger case for a 60fps console shooter than any of the idtech games with their largely static levels and generally limited scope. IW doesn't need to prerender their cutscenes like Wolf has to and they still manage to look far better at rendering characters, many more objects can be present on the screen and the dynamic lighting is just a generation ahead of idtech games... idtech6 is so overrated at this when both frostbite and CoD games are pushing so much more.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
All of them that are consistent. It really elevates games.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played DOOM on PS4 which impressed the hell out of me at the time, although there were some dips.

But that's history now, having played Halo 5, Forza 7 and Titanfall 2 on my X, all of which have blown me the fuck away. Native 4K at 60fps isn't something I expected to see on consoles for a good few years.

I should also add the Odyssey is continuing to impress too, given that I'm playing only in portable mode and yet it's locked 60fps, and still lovely to look at.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefront 2. It looks like graphics heavy 30fps console game but runs at 60fps. Battlefield 1 fits the bill too. DICE are tech wizards.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Since when was the likes of Mario a FPS ?. I have to say Call of Duty modern warfare and RE 7 for me the best looking FPS running at 60 fps

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Maybe I'm easily impressed, but I was really glad Nioh was able to keep a steady 60fps while still looking good on the Pro. After playing DkS III at 30 fps, I was glad that Nioh could hit 60.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many games are left if the requirements are "locked 60 fps at all times"? Or let's start a bit less drastic, drops of a single frame are allowed if they don't appear regularly. IIRC, that definitely eliminates DOOM, Wolfenstein 2, the Battlefront games, and SMO (just play New Donk City for that).

What's left is MK8D, GTS, Forza 7 and maybe Splatoon 2. At least the only hitching I saw playing it was in Salmon Run between waves, just as the tide changes. Any other games?

Nov 8, 2017
Doom is the game that impressed me the most in terms of its sheer stability and consistency of overall quality. Battlefront objectively looks more realistic in some ways, but all of the Frostbite games (BF1, BFront, BFront2 etc) have had their compromises visibly on display. This is less prominent on the PC versions but running on baseline Xbox One or PS4 hardware, Doom maintains better image quality on a constant basis and because it is not trying to do such large open areas, it also suffers less from visible popin and similar. Battlefront and Battlefront 2 are technically impressive but I give the nod to id on this one, especially when you compare the lowest end configurations on baseline xb1 hardware to each other.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
Splatoon 2 is really impressive IMO with all the chaos that happens in the game, Mario Kart too.

Doom on PS4/XB1 comes to mind too.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Second place is Nioh on the PRO. My base version wasn't able to hold 60 fps, drops were pretty common in certain levels, despite the resolution going down to 720p and IQ looking terrible. Upgraded to PRO just for this game (should've waited for the PC port though...).

Even on the Pro image quality is bad, the game reaches 1080p just when nothing is on screen. You will notice it immediately when playing the PC version, which looks much nicer.

Since the game also has little to nothing in terms of post-processing to mask the lowish resolution on Pro, it's even more noticeable. Looks clean and crisp as fuck.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Halo 5 on the X really is a different game. And its a real locked 60fps also. Wich isnt the case with alot of other games.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even on the Pro image quality is bad, the game reaches 1080p just when nothing is on screen. You will notice it immediately when playing the PC version, which looks much nicer.

Since the game also has little to nothing in terms of post-processing to mask the lowish resolution on Pro, it's even more noticeable. Looks clean and crisp as fuck.

Sure framerate is a lot more stable though, which is key in a game like Nioh. Was thinking about getting the PC version, but I've already finished the PS4 version... maybe at a deep discount.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield 1 is one of the most insane looking games I've ever played. Same with Battlefront. I seriously don't know how Dice pulls it off.

Nov 14, 2017
Would Dice rent its engine to other developers? We may see other 60fps titles?

Battlefield 1 by far the best looking title i have seen this gen.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Some here mentioned Nioh. While I love the game, I have to disagree. Visually, it's not in the same ballpark as other games.

Doom and the Battlefield / Battlefront games are the highlights for me. GT Sport as well as it can look stunning at times.
While Forza games look good, they are somehow flat and you can immediately see the shortcuts they took to lock it at 60.

I hope that for next gen, it's gonna be more 60fps games with dynamic resolution scaling for the different consoles and upgrades.

atmuh

Oct 25, 2017
Ew, no. Like, I appreciate the effort that went into that, but it looks bad on Switch, both compared to the same game on other platforms and other 60fps Switch games like MK8.
the amount of physics calculations it has to constantly make is very high and very cpu intensive, much more than a game like mk8

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of mario man does the game have really hefty dips at times, that is surprising for a Nintendo game lol.

Mostly around certain effects like when there is like a bump under the ground that's moving around that you have to butt stomp.