Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefront 2 has a pretty mediocre campaign, but the visuals it packs @ 60fps is incredible. Not every studio has the budget that DICE have, but their titles show that 60 FPS does not have to mean a compromise in visuals. Large levels, quality lighting and textures, and a CG look.

I'm hopeful we'll see even more games/studios make the jump to 60 FPS next gen.

giphy.gif

Second vote goes to Doom:

giphy.gif

What 60 FPS games have impressed you?

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGSV
Nioh
Yakuza
Titanfall 2 (dynamic resolution)
Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2

If we're counting the Switch then Odyssey.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Doom and Wolfenstein even if you can tell where they cut costs to have them run at that framerate, ie almost no physics when it comes to world interaction. DICE's current gen games such as Battlefield 1, Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Battlefront are impressive as well.

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Wolfenstein II on XBox One X looks phenomenol.

Is that really 60 FPS on consoles? I normally play most multiplatform games on the PC, but today I saw battlefront two at Redbox and decided to check it out for my 1X. I was really impressed that the console was powering the visuals on display.

Had to put console in the title because on PC every game I play is around 60 FPS lol

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
MGSV for its time open world and all stable 60fps

Nier Automata too reaches 60 most of the time it does have more demanding effects on display and more things going on at once so expected

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Purely technically the Star Wars Battlefront games are the most impressive. Just outstanding visuals.

The big arena showdowns in Doom were Great and highly impressive moments.

Metal Gear Solid 5 is a good candidate for best-playing game this generation. Kinda like Nioh where it gives you an almost endless amount of game systems to get busy with.

Resident Evil 7 was beautiful in 60fps on a normal screen but also supported Virtual Reality in a fantastic way.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
You're right I was mistaken. 1080 mode on the pro offers slight frame rate boost but not 60.
Huh, never heard about that, are they using unlocked framerate on Pro? That's usually worse imo, that's what many PS4 titles did at the start of the gen before they got patched to have a 30fps-cap after some protests.

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
Is that really 60 FPS on consoles? I normally play most multiplatform games on the PC, but today I saw battlefront two at Redbox and decided to check it out for my 1X. I was really impressed that the console was powering the visuals on display.

Had to put console in the title because on PC every game I play is around 60 FPS lol

The PS4 systems struggle to maintain 60FPS, but the X1X is doing it really well. As per all the Digital Foundry videos that I've seen at least and other gameplay videos online.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Why? What holds most open world games back is the amount of simulation. There's not that much going on there. Especially in between outposts.

Metro Redux is pretty impressive.
https://youtu.be/eUT819D26uY

If MGSV's static encampment system bothered you -- and I know this is a console thread -- there are mods for PC to randomize patrols, so they actually exist outside of camps and scripted missions.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gran Turismo Sport and Forza 7 are both masterpieces, and on the Pro or X they are even more incredible.

Also gonna throw in the quirky vote for Guilty Gear Xrd and the upcoming Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Nov 1, 2017
Why? What holds most open world games back is the amount of simulation. There's not that much going on there. Especially in between outposts.

Because it's open world and I found the framerate to be impressive on the PS4. There were a lot of ways to handle the various missions in the game and I found it a fun toybox to play around in. I spent about 150 hours with the game. True that there aren't as many moving parts as something like The Witcher 3 or some other, grander open world titles but I think MGSV shines when you're taking over outposts or replaying missions to see what the game will let you get away with.

And for the time I thought the game looked really nice.

Edited the other message. Re-reading it it came off as slightly confrontational. I was in a hurry before.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'll go with..,
FAST RMX
Mario Odyssey
ARMS
...considering the hardware limitations. Shinen (FAST) are the true wizards this generation imo, same thing last generation for their WiiU work.

I'm extremely impressed by Forza 7 on the OG XB1 as well with the weather effects and amount of cars. Turn 10 are magicians.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield 1
Halo 5
Doom
MGSV

The Battlefront games are too inconsistent with their graphical effects for me to list them. It's just so jarring when you see a low res reflection or explosion compared to everything else.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
DOOM and Battlefront are stupidly good looking for being rock solid 60fps.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Doom, performance was ridiculously good even on a base PS4. A 1X version would be pretty crazy.

Infinite Warfare's campaign looked incredible on the PS4 Pro. Titanfall 2 as well aside from the terrible textures.

Forza 7 on 1X is great. GT Sport as well but I've never played it.

Battlefront 1 on base PS4 was rock solid and gorgeous.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Ah okay, I guess some will be fooled by locked 30fps being 60fps since it's unfortunately kind of uncommon today.

Even though some say they can't see the difference I think few would be fooled when doing a proper side-by-side comparison, the difference is truly night and day no matter how much they try to fool us by smearing out the visuals with motion blur etc, 60fps is such a distinct visual treat since you'll get smooth motions with all the crispness intact.

I still don't think all games need to be 60fps though, the framerate hasn't bothered me even once in Horizon and I'm playing it on the OG PS4.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4 Multiplayer looks incredible at 60fps. Better looking than most 30fps games out there.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Great thread, was going to ask this very question yesterday as I wondered what games on console are actually 60fps.

The ones I liked are diablo 3 reaper of souls and black ops 3. Probably not the "best" but they are the best I've played.

Haven't played a lot of the other ones mentioned, but now that I know they are 60fps on console I might give them a try someday.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon has a performance(locked 30@1080p) and resolution(2160 cb capped at 30, rarely drops) mode. The rock solid framerate with correct frame pacing is just great.

Anyway, my picks would be:
Doom
Wolfenstein II
Forza 7
GT Sport
Resident Evil 7
Battlefield 1
Titanfall

What's interesting is that these games don't just look good for being 60fps titles, they straight up look better than a ton of games with 30fps cap.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. This game looks smooth af.
Yeah I even saw it side by side with Driveclub in a store and came away thinking MK8 looked more impressive, the smoothness and crisp graphics with the speed combined made it look awesome even though the graphics if paused is really rough.

You should check out FAST RMX though if you have a Switch. It looks sooo good.