Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XV characters:

Dew4D8vVAAEpMFm.jpg:large

Dew4EBlVAAEQt3g.jpg:large

Dew6hGaV4AEVEha.jpg:large

Oct 29, 2017
Someone posted some cars before, I think that can be a good contender if they count, since cars can have both modeled exteriors and interiors, even the engine.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Detailed is an interesting descriptor. I think Kratos is wonderfully detailed in GOD OF WAR. I'm not sure if it's the best model in the industry, but I'd certainly rank it in the top 10. I think the best looking model outright is probably Connor in DETROIT: BECOME HUMAN. I think Naughty Dog still has the rest of the industry beat when it comes to faces though. Their animation is the most lifelike to me. Damn good animators over there at ND.

When the lighting lines up though, Nathan Drake's model is incredible.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's gotta be Kratos, the thread is basically full of his pictures and the level of detail in-game is just absurd.

Although, Capcom's RE Engine has been putting some work since Resident Evil 7, which has gotten even better with its new releases. It's a insane amount of quality, even more considering performance with DMCV:

devil-may-cry-5-nico.jpg

Dfq1_TLV4AACNpT.jpg

leon_4.png

aj3XIjE.png

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
It's gotta be Kratos, the thread is basically full of his pictures and the level of detail in-game is just absurd.

Although, Capcom's RE Engine has been putting some work since Resident Evil 7, which has gotten even better with its new releases. It's a insane amount of quality, even more considering performance with DMCV:

devil-may-cry-5-nico.jpg

Dfq1_TLV4AACNpT.jpg

leon_4.png

aj3XIjE.png

The top picture has to be, a) real photo or b) high quality CG.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The top picture has to be, a) real photo or b) high quality CG.

Character render, not what the currently hardware is able to achieve but the actual amout of quality the RE Engine is capable of.

The picture below is far more representative of the actual game, same as the ones from REmake 2.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
The modern Yakuza games definitely are it for me, they just look more like actual real people than video game characters compared to anything else I've seen

maxresdefault.jpg

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Chloe, The Lost Legacy:

30529402318_19b3d8a935_o.png

44347836642_05aaf2ce3f_o.png

30529403858_fb7bff7c78_o.png

I personally like her hair and hair physics better than Lara's TressFX.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of just the straight up character model for me its Kratos in God of War and Senua in Hellblade. Both of those are so detailed it is absurd

In terms of animations though I gotta go with Naughty Dog. They just make their character movements and facial expressions so damn believable.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Man how has this thread made it to 70 posts without mention of DMC5?

In-engine:
efu7xfew7bgp20wgldth.png

Pre-rendered:
gszwggqaia6o7zntd9gu.png

Wow didn't know that. That validates my current low opinion of fighters like Tekken and Soul Calibur if they can't even match a similarly 60fps action game. They look last gen to me, except with lots more polys.

Feb 10, 2018
If we are talking actual gameplay, gears 4 has some of the best character models, on 1X anyway.
They dont have the most realistic skin shaders, but in poly count, detail, lighting and IQ they look very good.

Kratos looks very good , hes detailed but his head is not completely round and the the none native resolution is noticeable and in gameplay when trying to spin the camera to get a good view of the model there is some depth of field effect and it blurs him out.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow didn't know that. That validates my current low opinion of fighters like Tekken and Soul Calibur if they can't even match a similarly 60fps action game. They look last gen to me, except with lots more polys.

Yeah, that was a terrible excuse from the beginning. The character models look so dated in Tekken 7 and especially Soul Calibur 6 not because 60fps games can't do high quality polygon models, but because Bandai Namco simply didn't want to put in the time, money and effort to create high quality character models from scratch. In Soul Calibur 6 they simply reuse in part 10 year old assets for the base body models and weapons, ripped straight out of SC4 and SC5.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing how far we've come with graphics...I feel as though we are only a few years off from truly photorealistic character models. My vote goes for the dmc5 lady btw, but really everything in this thread looks mind blowing to me.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
It was hilarious to see the Insomniac character modelers responding in absolute horror to the Detroit renders, like "why the fuck would you do that? the nose topology is all fucked up"

Personally I'm kinda curious what the highest polycount in a shipped character is right now.

Metro Exodus is looking amazing.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that was a terrible excuse from the beginning. The character models look so dated in Tekken 7 and especially Soul Calibur 6 not because 60fps games can't do high quality polygon models, but because Bandai Namco simply didn't want to put in the time, money and effort to create high quality character models from scratch. In Soul Calibur 6 they simply reuse in part 10 year old assets for the base body models and weapons, ripped straight out of SC4 and SC5.

Shit yes. Those GOW shots are what I expected fighting games to look like this at this point.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Materials and lighting are still really top tier in The Order. Very few games better it even today, even if pure poly counts might.

Have yall seen the character models close up in the Order? The chainmail on his shoulders arent even 3D. It is so mamy flat low res textures, they look kinda muddy up close.

As a whole it looks great but in terms of being the most detailed, the order does not belong imo.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Running at a solid 60fps with rollback tech on the netcode is going to limit you heavily, i doubt even Naughty Dog could do that much better than Tekken 7 visually. Maybe better facial animations in the cutscenes though (Injustice has good ones, but they drop the framerate to 30fps), but gameplay not so much.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I would say Detroit overall...Hank especially, when the lighting lines up, can look realistic in a way I haven't seen in any other game. Otherwise, I am super impressed with how good character models are these days. Pretty much all the games displayed here have awesome models. DMC5 has impressed me recently, considering it is 60 fps

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
Was most impressed by how realistic the models, materials and subsurface scattering used in the fighters in injustice 2 this gen. Whoever did the modeling on Harley, especially, really put their heart and soul into it.