Oct 27, 2017
Curious as to who everyone thinks may be best here? And I'm not saying just pick from this list. I'm just showing some of my favorites. And I didn't want to clog the thread with too many pics at once, so that's why it's missing God of War, Horizon, ect. Here are my top.

Hellblade (Credit to jit on Flickr)
36317912233_61ed7a56aa_o_d.png

Until Dawn (Credit to Press Play on Flickr)
17939936500_925b948ce4_o_d.png

The Order 1886 (Credit to gwiilym on Flickr)
36115991241_18967bfb3a_o_d.jpg

Uncharted 4 (Credit to Allie on Flickr)
41283550665_761d0b86ec_o_d.jpg

Detroit: Become Human (Credit to Yagami Light on Flickr)
41981958084_4b1e9ba6a4_k_d.jpg

For me, it's really hard to pick one character above anything else. And this is leaving out a lot of games like Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man, Ryse, Assassins Creed Origins, ect that also look just as good.

I think best singular character model I might have to go with Senua, from Hellblade. She's the only real character on screen for most of the game, so you get in real close for a long time compared to most games. So, I think the more narrow focus allowed for some more detail to be there, considering your not modeling 200 characters for a game. Of course, Ninja Theory had to model the enemies, but I'm talking in general terms here.

Your top pick?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leon and Clare in Resident Evil 2, they're near photorealistic

Although Senua is far and away the best looking to me up until the re2 reveal.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kirby in smash ultimate

I don't thin you can do better kirby than that one.

I mean even the change from meele to brawl was almost invisible

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to decide between Detroit and Hellblade.

detroit_becomehuman_27jc0m.png

hellblade_senuassacrimkiyx.png

Detroit looks like it might be technically the more elaborate render but in some way does Sennua looks closer to a real person to me. All the dirt, bloodshot eyes and other blemishes probably help selling it.

OP
OP
TheCrackedJack
Oct 27, 2017
Here's one from Horizon that showcases why I think it has the best NPC models in an open world game. Credit to Rob Roy on Flickr. The materials in the game are just amazingly well done and combined with the character modeling...it almost can't be beat.
34675257316_8121e27589_o_d.jpg

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
It's basically just Sony first party vs. Hellblade here, right? If we're talking faces, it's probably Detroit or Hellblade. If we're looking at the whole model, head-to-toe, it's Kratos. HZD models come close.
kratos.png

Here's one from Horizon that showcases why I think it has the best NPC models in an open world game. Credit to Rob Roy on Flickr. The materials in the game are just amazingly well done and combined with the character modeling...it almost can't be beat.
34675257316_8121e27589_o_d.jpg
Yeah, Kratos looks better than any single model in Horizon, but Horizon is bursting with extremely high quality characters. Your screen is just a random nobody NPC, for example.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Nathan Drake. No contest. He's on another level when it comes to details. There's Drake, and then there's everyone else.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
A24E2619C3A3F0487A1C203808726450152F50C4

Do we think Red Dead 2 is gonna be a future contender? The environments look crazy good but I wasn't really paying attention to the character models I'll admit.

OP
OP
TheCrackedJack
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Kratos looks better than any single model in Horizon, but Horizon is bursting with extremely high quality characters. Your screen is just a random nobody NPC, for example.
I was referring to random NPC's in that post however not main characters, unlike the topic. Just saying that random characters in AAA open world games rarely look that great compared to the main. But Horizon really went the extra mile to insure they look amazing as well.

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
I was referring to random NPC's in that post however not main characters, unlike the topic. Just saying that random characters in AAA open world games rarely look that great compared to the main. But Horizon really went the extra mile to insure they look amazing as well.
Oh yeah, I was agreeing with you. It's impressive that Horizon made nobody NPCs look better than the lead characters in all but 5 or 10 other games.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found drake model to be really inconsistent, in some cutscenes he looks basically perfect, but in gameplay he often looks like a dork with bad facial anmation and terible shadows.

Yep I disagree it's the same model. The poly count clearly drops imo, visible in the photo mode.

In fact I think there are three or four different Drake models depending on the scene. Having taken hundreds of photo mode shots I'm sure of this.