• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not a movie, but most of the Black Mirror episodes are like that.

Although some of the best episodes are the "feel-good" ones.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a tie between Grave of The Fireflies, Interiors and Melancholia..

Dec 16, 2017
Wait, fourth page and no Manchester By the Sea? Does that not count or just not bleak enough? Fantastic performances in that too, Casey Affleck can be top tier when cast in the right role.
That's the first movie I thought of when I read the thread title. It's been a few years but I remember this film being super depressing.

Out of curiosity, I just watched one of the trailers on YouTube and this one makes the film look like a typical "indie, feel-good movie" lol

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Manchester By The Sea has a moderately hopeful ending, so I'm not sure I'd characterise it as bleak, but at points it does feel like a study in how deep abject misery can go.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen a lot of the ones mentioned. For me it would be:

5e8d77f6dc6d1e80a0b7614d1d0bc51f.jpg

What a bleak movie.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I always found The Sweet Hereafter a movie that fits this description. The atmosphere is just cold and bleak, and the story is just full of sadness and some awful things. A good movie though.