SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, it doesn't take itself too seriously and the actors know what kind of film they're making.

The violence is obviously toned down, but the thing I like is that it has respect for the character designs and the overall feel of the first MK (which itself was inspired by cheesy kung fu films). Modern day game to film adaptions fail to retain their identity after they're lobotomized into a slick, big budget Hollywood blockbuster.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
he is the opposite of hot though. he's cold. ice cold.
For now! I swear I'll find a way to put him back together. Humpty Dumpty is still a pile of shards because the king's men weren't totally stoked about repairing a clumsy egg who tempts fate by hanging out in high places.

A smoking hot ninja, on the other hand...

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The first movie is not good per se, but it's still a fun ride.

Death to all movies after though.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I smell something. Bullshit.

200.gif

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It astounds me that Paul W.S. Anderson could make such a faithful video game adaptation, complete with all the cheese the source material begs for, and then does a complete 180 with Resident Evil, turning it into a series that boils down to "check out my hot wife while she does stunts alongside people dressed as characters you like, but act nothing like they do in the games".

Meanwhile, Mortal Kombat is garbage, but it's remarkably charming, weird, and fun garbage. You can tell the actors are having a blast, Christopher Lambert especially. I'll definitely give it a rewatch soon.

Nov 2, 2017
I only saw it AFTER getting into the series with MK9.

I thought it was great fun. Cheesy in a fun way. The only thing that's sort of weird is the relative unimportance of Sub-Zero and Scorpion, as well as how short the actors for the two of them are.

Everything else is pretty much gold.

Oct 30, 2017
It's an awesome pile of shit. It's bad in every way, yet super fun.
I watched it with my 12 year old and 8 year old nephews. They said, this movie is terrible.
I said yes, but it's also awesome. Get into the zone of bad casting, bad performances and storytelling. Embrace the bad.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The essence of Mortal Kombat is not about death, but life ha ha ha ha

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
So he freezes this guy, right? And then he explodes! I could see his guts and everything. I nearly lost my lunch.

Deleted member 23068

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed!! I watched both of them a few months ago. The first movie is still awesome. The second....ehhh not so much.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Best video game movie ever
Yeah it's great. I 've been in martial arts for 30+ years, and one of my black belts is in taekwondo, and my dojang at the time had a demo in the lobby of the local theater before the movie. There was a large crowd spectating, and then we watched the film. That is a great memory for me.

Last edited:

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
You have to watch the cinemasins of this! Theres a bit where goro is fighting and shang tsun calls a flawless victory despite goro getting hit! Still film is miles better than the sequel but i reckon street fighter is a more fun film

Kurogane

Jul 30, 2018
I really really really love this movie, i want all that cheese in my veins.

Liu-Kang vs Shang-Tsung was the hypest shit to watch when i was a kid.

The only video game adaptation that i truly enjoyed other than this movie, was Street Fighter Assassin's Fist.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
My step-sister got me the OST cassette and I listened to it constantly. Watched the movie in theaters with my mom and she enjoyed it a lot too, mostly for Johnny Cage moments. I can still watch the movie and have a good time with it.

I prefer to forget Annihilation exists.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Great film. I recognize that Annihilation is bad. But hell, I'll still watch that too.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
That scene with Kano eating chicken is still the best movie food I have ever seen.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
It's really fucking bad but it has its charm for anyone into the series. But seriously, it shouldn't be confused for an actually good and well acted movie, lol.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Still my favourite game movie ever. It is always fun to rewatch.
Same here.

It was the first movie that I saw without my parents(or anybody's parents for that matter).

My friends and I were so hyped during the entire movie. When we got out of the theater, we started running and jumping around, doing moves and shit, while imitating the theme song lol.

The cast was great and the film had great atmosphere. Shame about the sequel though. What a HUGE disappointment that was.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was bad when I saw it as a kid tbh. It's a terrible movie. I like the highlander, but even he couldn't save it. Plus the speakers were the loudest I've ever heard and we were right next to em while the song is yelling MORTAL KOMBAT!!! My poor godmother lol.

Last edited: