Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I think I'm done with this game sadly. Can't even be bothered to put the disc in to try out Homelander.
Wish I'd never bought the season pass. I won't ever buy another MK game full price/day one again.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
So is the "play the same tower 60 times" choice an attempt to keep engagement up once people got burnt out on the Invasions grind after like Season 2? Because damn, it's so deflating to login to the game and be faced with the choice of a new Invasions season (in name only) or another Seasonal Tower grind.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm done with this game sadly. Can't even be bothered to put the disc in to try out Homelander.
Wish I'd never bought the season pass. I won't ever buy another MK game full price/day one again.
Sadly the main thing that kept me coming back, invasions, (especially since it's been improving) seems to be dwindling and losing budget based on this one... the one I've been looking forward to.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, anything that takes precise inputs with instafails, I might as well not even bother. This game and controller and maybe my reflexes are just not reliable.

And they REALLY dropped the ball this season with skins. There's a Sub-Zero with lizard skin in invasions (as a Sub and Reptile combo) but not as an unlock for Sub-Zero proper. And most of the female cast straight up missing out. Figured Ashrah would have one and look badass at that... nope. Yeesh. Since this is the one I was hoping for and looking forward to, it's middling and probably marks the beginning of my hiatus unless movie Reptile is indeed added soon.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I am so garbo. Attempting KL and suck so bad.

Omg I want to vomit. Annihilated by a Honelander, couldn't do shit... second match of KL, only like the 12th online match I've ever played. Fuck this game lol. Keep your tryhard only rewards.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm taking a break this season until Titan Havik but I did build a titan killer talisman for when he comes around. Also wtf whose idea was it to put the DLC characters second fatality at level 19 that Quan Chi second fatality is by far the best in the game and getting it was a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Basic question from an idiot: I haven't picked this game up in a good while and just reinstalled for the first time since the first month. My "Invasion" progress seems to be gone - I assume this is a normal seasonal wipe thing? I could have sworn I read that progress would be kept.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Thanks. It seems really unfriendly and lame that you can't retain progress. I can't see myself going back to this, especially with Invasions mode being kinda tedious to begin with. It's a shame.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. It seems really unfriendly and lame that you can't retain progress. I can't see myself going back to this, especially with Invasions mode being kinda tedious to begin with. It's a shame.
Enemies always start at really low levels and you're meant to level up as you progress and gain new items. Not meant to be super meaty with permanent items.

And wow, it felt so refreshing doing a quick match vs the cpu in VS. Can really do without all the stats and buffs and armors in invasions.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the seasonal tower shit sucked I should have just done KL but now that I'm done Quan Chi and that relic that give 50% resistances can pretty much do it just press o and do a short combo while you use a multi projectile talisman to kill them.

Havik and Raiden have an into where Raiden says he was wrong to doubt him about Sedio I wonder what that means.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say (again) I still really love the way this game looks. I wish I could manage to keep up with everything the game asks from me to make it look as good when I play but alas.

I'm lucky if a move comes out consistently, let alone if it hits the same and the opponent pops up the same.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Fera got delayed till July 27th that sucks I was excited to use her. Final Kombat was okay lots of Johnnies but your playing for cash you do what you gotta do to win.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
New small patch is out, PC players now can enable 60 FPS for some situations previously locked at 30 FPS, i'm assuming fatal blows. Only offline for now though.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
New small patch is out, PC players now can enable 60 FPS for some situations previously locked at 30 FPS, i'm assuming fatal blows. Only offline for now though.
image.png

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I tried out the new 60 fps cap and yeah, it works great but it does really highlight some of the small stutters that were already in the game. Like when the kameo section of the fatal blow ends and the characters' begins, or when the intros are starting.

I will say though, just like MK11, it makes all the fatalities way less gory and fucked up because the 60 fps makes it less cinematic and more gamey.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Would have bought at launch if this was in. Kinda dodged a bullet though since I don't like Kameos.

NRS really needs to build their next game to be more scaleable. There should be a console performance mode and not only what amounts to an official hack on PC by a port studio.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
To me it's night and day, everything is so fluid now, menus, invasions, finishers and fatals. There some stutters indeed, but, the uplift is so worth it. They need to give an option for console players to enable 60 FPS as well even at the cost of some visual fidelity.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
I'm so appreciative of the 60fps update, hopefully it can just be enabled by default in the future. You can now also spend multiples at the shrine, instead of 1k at a time.

I think they still have a lot of optimizing to do, the game runs great on my PC - but in no way is it playable on my Steam Deck OLED - and that shouldn't be the case.

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking ahead with this game as I tackle the tower for a second time, if I'm going to invest in some movie skins and such, I'm gonna need more incentive to play regular modes outside of invasions. Relying on stats, buffs, nerfs, talismans, relics, modifiers etc is agonizingly unfun as is. Dealing with electric totems and falling electric skulls is just pure shit. Give me the weather changing to stormy and clouding up the screen with (visual) flashes of lightning. THAT was cool. Not shit that makes me pause and stagger.

Plus the game just feels so much smoother as you're not bound by whatever your stats are. I don't need much to keep me engaged, just so long as it's fun and fair.

And I swear I'm being trolled with some of these talismans. I pose and NOTHING happens. What gives? Doing the UMK3 Reptile (co-opted by Rain) pose to summon a Toxic Atmosphere (as Reptile) looks and sounds so badass... but nada.

Edit: customization is bugged where it won't load another character on the character select scree and can't go into photomode. Not sure if it's a persistent thing, I'll have to check when I boot it back up.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Played MKJavierMK yesterday in KL. Never played against a top tier player i knew before, was a cool experience. I managed to deal some hits, but got absolutely destroyed with style by his Scorpion. The difference between a world class player and a normal one like me is staggering.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, I don't even know what I did to beat the final stage of the Havik battle. I thought I just had to dodge and wait it out until he came back, and even then, my character was going in the wrong direction many times (oh, was I hit with chaos during the attacks?). Eventually summoned Goro and maybe he hit him and that's all it took? Could I have just landed one attack on my own to end it?

Oct 27, 2017
As I listen to the soundtrack, I'm thinking how much this game kills fun. The fact that going into Invasions is pointless outside of one run through is kind of shit. They give you the BS towers to move onto but they need more meat in invasions. Though seeing as how the unlocks were drastically lowered this season, they probably just don't care as much as I do about beefing it up.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Okay, so apparently the second season of kharacters has been datamined (no, I haven't seen it and I don't intend to post it here). Think I'll probably be more fussed with it than I am with Street Fighter 6's second season.

Last edited:

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Balance patch tomorrow are they finally gonna nerf Johnny? I actually don't have much trouble with him but he does feel like he's playing an entirely different game compared to everyone else I don't have much trouble with Peacemaker either it's just their the most flow chart characters to ever exist.

I don't really play anymore cause the character variety online really sucks and Peacemaker has gotta be the most boring character in any game to fight anti gravity for 5% chip everytime Eeagly jump every 3 seconds on the dot ex gunshots with that stagger back into Eagly every 3 seconds Peacemaker feels like he was made to be hard countered by Enchantress except she's in Injustice 2 and he's in Mortal Kombat 1.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I don't even mind Johnny at this point, Peacemaker though, you could delete him and the game would improve.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, so apparently the second season of kharacters has been datamined (no, I haven't seen it and I don't intend to post it here). Though I'll probably be more fussed with it than I am with Street Fighter 6's second season.
Just saw it, started chuckling immediately. The balance / choices definitely seem skewed, but maybe their analytics show this is what people want.

Oct 26, 2017
After Final Kombat being the Johnny & Peacemaker show, I can't blame NRS for nerfing them both, but between the two, Peacemaker definitely got it worse. Johnny's still good, he can just be meatied now. NRS definitely wants this game to have a diverse showing at EVO. We'll see if the players agree.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if I want to attempt KL with the double xp weekend. If I could turn off kameos and the various block mechanics (and the game was balanced for such a change), maybe. The game is just not my jam competitively but I do want the Reptile themed rewards...

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
See here, here, and here for the first three parts.

Hi, several months late. Not even going to force an excuse here, just read the stuff.

Li Mei...
render21tj6g.png
rikp7.jpg

Li Mei has been reinvented as head of Sun Do's police force. Her civilian appearance from MKX seems to be the template design, its mixture of purples and black being reinterpreted for this new design. Her pants are more monochromatic and have an almost plum-like coloration to them, befitting her name. In spite of the inherent stupidity of an officer performing her duties in open-toed heels, Li Mei does seem to take some precautions on the job, wearing a protective vest and shinguards over her garments. The heavier amount of black helps her stick out next to her fellow violent violet-lovers.

Nitara...
mkda-render35sqkey.jpg
v5j8g.png

After being one of the few Deadly Alliance newcomers to make no appearance whatsoever in the last three games or the MKX comics, the vampire warrior of Vaeternus comes back with a vengeance. As she never even had the chance to be redesigned by the game devs until 2023, we see a massive overhaul of design sensibilities with a gap of over 20 years. Gone are the studded bra and thong and in their place is a type of armored dress, purple taking the place of black. Nitara lacks the headband/blindfold and hair sticks of old as well, adorning a crown on her slicked-back hair which is now red. I don't think I can quite parse how I feel about new Nitara yet. I'm glad to see her back, but I feel as if she's a victim of each respective era's design decisions making her blend into the crowd -- and yes, I'm saying that about a woman with giant bat wings. Also, why are they so fleshy in Mortal Kombat 1?

Her old design isn't great, but there were some elements I would've liked to see have seen built upon. The headband and hair sticks paired with the jacket did contribute to a slightly stronger silhouette and because of her general lack of clothing she wasn't weighed down by metal adornments (even acknowledging that 2023's Nitara is nowhere near as hyperdetailed as her peers). Nitara definitely looks more like a dark countess than a pirate this time around and I'm fine with that, but I think the redesign needed a little something extra. Ask me in five months if I ever find out what that "extra" is supposed to be.

Ashrah...
image84ck6.png
versuszdk1r.png

Resurfacing to give Deception's debutants a playable role for the first time in nearly 20 years, Ashrah reprises her role as a renegade demon attempting to purify herself by killing other demons. I mentioned that her original design had a simple elegance to it, a decent change of pace in the sea of armored designs that permeated the Dragon King trilogy. Now, Ashrah almost leans into the design ethos she stood in contrast to. The basic robes of 2004 are replaced with a white battlesuit with layered shoulder pads evoking feathers to lean into the angelic avenger theme Ashrah's got going on. Her gold sash has evolved into a far more complex design again evoking layered feathers and sporting a maroon interior. She's working with only a handful of colors once more, adding maroon just to provide one more "regal" color. She too wears heeled boots, because NRS applies the Earthrealm/not-Earthrealm female footwear dichotomy hard.

Most notably, Ashrah is lacking her giant hat, at least on her default outfit. Several alts do give a sized-down version to her, so I can only imagine NRS wanted to avoid obscuring her more demonic facial features as much as possible. A reasonable course of action if that was the case, though her silhouette is again lessened. Perhaps that's why her loincloth and breechcloth were extended.

Havik...
render2a5jqw.png
havikmk96ikh9.jpg
whjxq.png
The Cleric of Chaos returns, mostly adhering to the same layout he had in 2004. Havik is a hard kharacter to design; he's supposed to look like a mess but still come off as surprisingly readable from a distance. I would say his rendition in Mortal Kombat 1 accomplishes that well enough. He's got more pronounced asymmetry for his armwear, the detached sleeve of old being compressed and armed to the teeth with silver blades. By contrast, his bottom half is pretty spartan, if also asymmetrical. The battle helmet is gone and replaced with a simpler headband, making for an amusing reversal of fortunes with Nitara. I could raise the point that much like Nitara, Havik lost a handful of his key defining visual signifiers. Though unlike Nitara, this Havik is not meant to be a straightforward reboot of the original, but someone else entirely. Based on Tower endings, MK12's Havik is in fact Dairou.

Geras...
tower_tnuqkd1.png
tanyamileena5kjqb.png

Mortal Kombat 11's final boss Kronika was a Titan, a class of beings that could rival the Elder Gods. Kronika possessed the Hourglass, an artifact of her own design that was capable of reshaping time. Another creation of Kronika's was the nigh-immortal being known as Geras. This sand-manipulating tank of an enforcer was the first revealed newcomer of the last game and the only newcomer from that game to return to MK12's roster. As an artificial construct of a seemingly clinical higher being, Geras was clad in black, white, and gold to match his creator, a visual signifier of allegiance to Kronika (see Frost in the last game). Upon Liu Kang's usurping of the Hourglass, Geras was either rescued from whatever predicament he was left in during the last continuity or reforged entirely. Given far more independence, Geras voluntarily chooses to protect the Hourglass and assists Liu Kang in forging a better timeline. As such, he's changed his kostume accordingly. He's retired the darker tones (and almost ashen complexion) for a brighter red to mirror his friend. The curved lines denoting his artificial nature have also been downplayed and his physique has been slimmed, giving the appearance of a more human Geras. As he is (probably) one of the few direct remnants of the last timeline, his design is a more A-to-B evolution compared to the reinventions most of his peers received.

Shang Tsung...
nekropolisvsj5d.png
fixed_default_shang_bafjj3.jpg

Alright, last one for now. Shang Tsung, having the oh-so-lovely honor of being the first kharacter in this franchise to be downloadable kontent in two consecutive entries, is doing what he does best. Liu Kang relegates him to a squalid existence in the hopes that he won't become a realm-ending sorcerer. You can guess how long that lasts. After several flirtations with other palettes, it seems Shang has settled on black and yellow as his color template of choice. He dons sleeves on a default outfit for the first time since Armaggedon and looks to be wearing a humbler redux of his garb from MK11: Aftermath's bad ending. I don't have much to say, it's just nice and it feels like we finally got a Shang design with the MKII palette that I really like.

And let's just quickly compare his older designs:
bpwwlly4.jpg
7c4c6yu5.webp

The color palette of old and young Shang has been standardized again, giving the elder version (a disguise for Shang in this continuity) less clashing tones. Old man Shang is a snake oil salesman of the highest order, so the relative flashiness seems apropos. And he actually wears close-toed shoes, unlike his younger self who keeps his toes exposed while walking about in his gross-ass underground laboratory.

Next time, we'll look at the Kameo Fighters.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Omfg, I somehow won 2-0 against a Kung Lao who was overwhelming me. Fuck, I can't play this game though. Too much anxiety and I don't feel in control and feel helpless most times. Don't think I earned anything....

Put the rewards in dailies or some shit ffs. I'm not attempting to play again. If Reptile stuff can't get me, nothing will. (Fuck, they're gonna be cruel and lock his movie skin there aren't they... I'd be demanding a refund lol)