Oct 27, 2017
NRS/WB are smart knowing more sites are pumping out this news thanks to SDCC and the guests. EVO was for the FGC, SDCC is for the mainstream.

Our disappointment probably doesn't mean much lol

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Conan is cool but what a shame we didn't get the T-800 + proper likeness here. On the other hand, we got the Robocop matchup in the last game, so that evens out a bit.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My first thought on the cyborgs is that the animations are really disappointing.

Frost in MK11 looked great because she had moves that broke her anatomy: Rotating her torso like a propeller, tossing her head, you get the idea. They really leaned into her no longer being human.

Cyrax and Sektor just fight like they're wearing costumes. I imagine there are non-cyborg costumes like in MK9, but I would rather have cool ass robot animations.

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, Sektor and Cyrax look awesome!

With how incredibly obscenely expensive the micro transactions are in this game, though, I'm considering just waiting until there's a complete edition that includes all the announcer voices and skins.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
they want 50€?! and continue to rip us off with overpriced mtx? and no alternate outfits for all dlc characters? get the fuck outta here.
mk1 kinda bombed in europe (premium was 50% off after a few weeks), so i guess the dlc will be below 30,- before november.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, whereas 9 went up through 3/u3 and then in 10 we dove into what then became 4 with that new timeline, they just went stupid with some of the things in 11, leading us here. So we start over, again, get up through I guess what should have been 4 and then teases for the PS2 era and... eh?

I know a lot of the PS2 characters weren't the most liked, and that's fine because some of them were terribly boring and the gameplay system was definitely an experiment to say the least, but going this far in and then just... wet fart.

Aside from the guest characters this has probably been the worst part of modern MK for me, they seem to have no interest in going beyond 4 and just rebooting the timeline over and over, it's so boring.

I was really excited for the sequel to X possibly retelling the Onaga stuff but they just... didn't bother

I get that a lot of people don't like a lot of the post-4, pre-9 characters but they can just, y'know, make them more interesting. They already had the first reboot as a way to handwave away any major changes to improve the characters but they just don't want to go that route.

Even the brand new MK1 timeline that was supposed to be completely different felt mostly uninteresting again.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Bringing back animalities is very fun.

But my god, this is one of the most boring fighter DLC packs I've ever seen. Yet again, an overreliance on guest characters while female characters get the shaft.

I'm sorry, but gender swapping the two cyborg characters doesn't count in my book. It actually comes off as very cynical, as if to say, "See? Here's some women. You happy now?"

There are 30 years of established female characters that they could bring back and they are actively choosing not to.

Last edited:

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018

But my god, this is one of the most boring fighter DLC packs I've ever seen. Yet again, an overreliance on guest characters while female characters get the shaft.

I'm sorry, but gender swapping the two cyborg characters doesn't count in my book. It actually comes off aa very cynical, as if to say, "See? Here's some women. You happy now?"

There are 30 years of established female characters that they could bring back and they are actively choosing not to.
I really hope the other leak is true and we get

Cassie and Jade soon.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
They'd have to pay me $50 to play this shit. I paid that for 18 characters and a full story mode and still felt ripped off.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe my favourite character Noob is an important character in a story and is kicking fucking ass, I'm very happy.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Well as an outside looking in, Animalities being back is cool.

But otherwise, Ghostface still seems really lame. Sektor and Cyrax do kind of look like they wanted to have Iron Man or something. Particularly Sektor. Not sure if its a repurposed Injustice 3 concept or not.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I'm sorry, but gender swapping the two cyborg characters doesn't count in my book. It actually comes off as very cynical, as if to say, "See? Here's some women. You happy now?"

They didn't even really do Cyrax and Sektor, they just made them into Iron Man.

I swear Ed Boon just sees whatever movie is popular and goes "let's do that!"

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
The robots don't look robots, look more like power rangers

Loved the animalities

My first thought on the cyborgs is that the animations are really disappointing.

Frost in MK11 looked great because she had moves that broke her anatomy: Rotating her torso like a propeller, tossing her head, you get the idea. They really leaned into her no longer being human.

Cyrax and Sektor just fight like they're wearing costumes. I imagine there are non-cyborg costumes like in MK9, but I would rather have cool ass robot animations.

According to the leaks they might not be robots/cyborgs. They're just wearing suits like Iron Man.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Hahahah what a god awful story trailer, NRS creativity is officially dead with that Havik crown and having 6 realms as stones like Thanos did. Just come out and say it already Boon, you want your own MK Marvel universe. Glad I am not even mad, this is not Mortal Kombat anymore, all bets are off. They are just doing whatever at this point. Animalities is the only good thing about this. Maybe a stage variant here and there. The rest is just not for me and it's time to move on. Glad I still have Street Fighter that actually feels like Street Fighter.

The Kamidogu, i.e the 6 stones you are referencing have already existed in MK Deception back in 2004 predating the entire MCU by 4 years.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what the word means, writer/editor!
But it is, though. The political theory of cooperation and lack of hierarchical government is a reappropriation of a term that was already being used to refer to a state of chaos and disorder as caused by a lack of government authority for like 200 years.

It would be a misuse of the word "Anarchism," but it's a perfectly accurate use of the word "anarchy."

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
wait they're charging 50 for this? lol
Not bad considering kp1 was only characters for $40. If it's anything like mk11s expansion the story was pretty meaty

I love animalities coming back but sad to see no new single player mode or revised invasions as it stinks in its current iteration.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I like that Animalities are back...I guess. Its free with the update so at least theres that..the movie guest characters do absolutely nothing for me. Noob looks cool but thats all that interests me in this so doubt Ill pay that price just for him.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

That's because they're wearing power armor, they're not cyborgs.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
But it is, though. The political theory of cooperation and lack of hierarchical government is a reappropriation of a term that was already being used to refer to a state of chaos and disorder as caused by a lack of government authority for like 200 years.

It would be a misuse of the word "Anarchism," but it's a perfectly accurate use of the word "anarchy."
I mean if we want to get into etymologies, "anarchy" has been treated as an extreme form of direct democracy since ancient Greece

"Anarchy" when used by a political fighter like Havik shouldn't be understood the same way as "chaos" would be, even if he comes from the realm of Chaos. he could just say chaos

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, but Dom (the writer now) has basically retconned the One Being out of existence

Do you remember the story leak for this expansion that happened a few months(?) ago? I'll leave the remainder in spoilers.

Havik kidnaps Geras. He intends to use his reality shaping relics, the Kamidogu and infuse them with Geras' time-crystals, allowing them to affect other timelines. Geras is the only being who has lived through all previous timelines so he has the building block of every timeline. The One Being may no longer be a thing but the Kamidogu still very much exist.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, already heard from the leaks about new Cyrax being a woman but didn't expect the same for Sektor as well.

Me toward the end of the trailer: "Oh, there's more? What's with those animal noises, are they bringing Animalities back? Oh, they are."

yallasama

Dec 7, 2022
The Kamidogu, i.e the 6 stones you are referencing have already existed in MK Deception back in 2004 predating the entire MCU by 4 years.

Not what I said, it's the way Havik has them like Thanos did on his body. That's 100% copying what Marvel did and it's not the first and be won't be the last. MK has lost all it's creativity and unique tone, designs etc. It's like they don't believe in their own product. They need to chase gimmicks to stay relevant instead of staying through to the core. They sold out.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if we want to get into etymologies, "anarchy" has been treated as an extreme form of direct democracy since ancient Greece
If we're going back to root words instead of discussing whether or not the English use of an English word is correct, the Greek negative use of "anarchy" also predates the positive use. 404 BC was literally referred to as "the year of anarchy" and that had nothing to do with a lack of hierarchical authority, the Oligarchs had simply taken power from the Archon and placed it in themselves.

"Anarchy" when used by a political fighter like Havik shouldn't be understood the same way as "chaos" would be, even if he comes from the realm of Chaos. he could just say chaos
1. Not MK1 Havik. Darrius is political. Pre-MK1 Havik isn't.

2. "I don't like it" is not justification for ahistorical linguistic prescriptivism.

MK has lost all it's creativity and unique tone, designs etc.
As someone who does not like MK1's art choices: MK has always been a mishmash of stolen ideas from pop culture, let's not kid ourselves here.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
I hope people who like the game have fun with it, but holy shit this game was a mess. No shot I can buy this until it comes out and I hear it's actually good.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do you remember the story leak for this expansion that happened a few months(?) ago? I'll leave the remainder in spoilers.

Havik kidnaps Geras. He intends to use his reality shaping relics, the Kamidogu and infuse them with Geras' time-crystals, allowing them to affect other timelines. Geras is the only being who has lived through all previous timelines so he has the building block of every timeline. The One Being may no longer be a thing but the Kamidogu still very much exist.
Good old Dom. Rewriting the lore to his whims.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
The animalities look amazing, so glad they're free as there's zero chance I'm buying the DLC full price when I was so disappointed by KP1 and regret buying the complete edition.

I'm so, so sick of the guest characters now. Especially when they have no theme, they look so jarring - a future cop, a barbarian and a regular guy in a fucking Halloween mask, so silly.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
WDgIgX3.png

I don't know who this is, but it sure ain't Robert Patrick.
Looks more like Tom Holland.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
If we're going back to root words instead of discussing whether or not the English use of an English word is correct, the Greek negative use of "anarchy" also predates the positive use. 404 BC was literally referred to as "the year of anarchy" and that had nothing to do with a lack of hierarchical authority, the Oligarchs had simply taken power from the Archon and placed it in themselves.

1. Not MK1 Havik. Darrius is political. Pre-MK1 Havik isn't.

2. "I don't like it" is not justification for ahistorical linguistic prescriptivism.
I was under the impression that the Greek use was never positive; if I recall, it was basically the same as Aristotle's disdain for democracy, rooted in the idea that commonly-abled people weren't spiritually capable of governing themselves. I think the need for some kind of ruling class was considered necessary by nearly all of the immediate post-Socratic philosophers, though I might be forgetting a couple

There's nothing ahistorical about this conversation! Maybe I'm being prescriptive, but I'm not talking about a two-hundred-year-old usage of the word, I'm talking about the current usage of it, when "anarchy" as a perjorative is best understood as either a thoughtless imprecision or as an authoritarian dogwhistle

E-bite

Oct 24, 2018
Not looking forward to more of Dominic's story telling and it saddens me to see Ed not caring enough for the future of MK's story. But, all the new characters look very cool and finally, we have Sektor and Cyrax as separate characters on the main roster, after more than 13 years.