• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
AT&T merged with Time Warner, which owns HBO. They want to give HBO/Go/Now and HBO MAX separate identities and keep HBO separate from MAX*, so you will still be able to sub to HBO Now by itself if you wish.

*HBO content will be available on HBO MAX though. Also, if they wanted to keep the HBO brand separate and distinct from HBO MAX then they should have given HBO MAX a different name like what the fuck lmao

So, just to clarify a few things:

Once Max launches, there will be a yet-to-be-announced plan to encourage current NOW users to migrate over to Max. You can continue to sub to HBO NOW, but the primary focus will be HBO Max once it launches. WM will continue to support HBO NOW, HBO Go, and MAX Go for the forseeable future due to existing provider and contractual agreements. I'm not privvy to plans regarding Go subscribers, as that's now a different org than the one I was in.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
There's not a single person on earth that doesn't already have internet service and only gets it to subscribe to streaming services. So including that cost is more than ridiculous, especially since cable tv is only used for watching cable tv.

What? There are plenty of people who do that. They get internet only and just stream the stuff they want to watch mainly because they think it will be cheaper when it really isn't that much cheaper and the costs keep rising and content keeps getting fragmented requiring you to sub to more streaming providers. The only upside is you can cancel at any time and no hidden fees, install fees, etc. so its more convienent but not less costly.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? There are plenty of people who do that. They get internet only and just stream the stuff they want to watch mainly because they think it will be cheaper when it really isn't that much cheaper and the costs keep rising and content keeps getting fragmented requiring you to sub to more streaming providers. The only upside is you can cancel at any time and no hidden fees, install fees, etc. so its more convienent but not less costly.

The amount of people that only have internet service to stream television has gotta be low as hell.

Internet service is pretty much a necessity to live these days.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
So, just to clarify a few things:

Once Max launches, there will be a yet-to-be-announced plan to encourage current NOW users to migrate over to Max. You can continue to sub to HBO NOW, but the primary focus will be HBO Max once it launches. WM will continue to support HBO NOW, HBO Go, and MAX Go for the forseeable future due to existing provider and contractual agreements. I'm not privvy to plans regarding Go subscribers, as that's now a different org than the one I was in.
Like Game Pass Ultimate? How many years imma get free this time?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'll grant the cancel anytime and no hidden fees. But when you consider the cost of the internet and you will at least need to sub to a couple of services to get want you want. They aren't really saving much and the prices will go up. Look at netflix. I remember when it was $8.99 for hd streaming, now its $12.99 so they aren't getting the savings they think they are getting which is the whole point of going to streaming.

Well they should. With streaming becoming more of a thing, isps are just gonna jack up their rates and there's nothing you can do about it since you need the internet to stream.

This is a laughable reason. The number of people who are only getting Internet because of streaming services has to be such an edge case that it's not really something we should be arguing. You're going to have to show me some data about the number of people that are doing this to prove otherwise. The cost when you add multiple services is still going to be cheaper than what cable is costing these days. There's no question about it right now.

Nov 1, 2017
Lol outside of promotional periods, cable/satellite is like $60-80 per month. So no, having a couple streaming services isn't more expensive. And trying to loop internet into the cost is pretty funny.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
At this point it's cheaper to pay for Comcast.

Way to fuck that up guys

Netflix, Hulu, NBC, HBO, Disney,

VS.

My basic cable with DVr and live local sports

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This bullshit with every company and channel having their own streaming service is just the latest profit-driven evolution of cable. No thanks.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they haven't gone all the way and just pirate everything. Is it some sort of moral code? See? I'm not a bad person, im still paying for something!
I dunno. But one of my friend has Netflix + a Plex server; and another has one of those Fire Sticks loaded with apps. But Fire Sticks are trash ,so I don't know why they do it.