Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Ya that's what I'm thinking!

Honest question tho, We're there poeple of color and woman that fought in medieval Europe? I have no historical background of how medieval times were besides GoT haha

It's part of a historical intertwining of race thought in the 18th century and the rising of medieval studies that drew from that racial framework and white washed historical studies, for instance the idea that the Roman military was a european/white force in the British isles, when their own barracks show caverly barracks set up in circular layouts as in North africa/"Nubian" units as opposed to the "italic" grids for the "Italian" heavy infantry.

Helen Young writes of this Nazifying of history and fantasy works quite extensively.

Helen Young says that the links between racism and the study of the Middle Ages date at least back to the 18th century. In that period, modern concepts of race began to have widespread currency, just as the notion of "medieval culture" as a field of study took hold. Medieval studies has not yet recovered from this unfortunate intertwining.

Her Book Race and Popular Fantasy Literature: Habits of Whiteness

I think it's about $50 USD on kindle.

I think her work is more appropriate as Mordaou is a fantasy game not a historical text/work, it's what a bunch of racist want European history to be not what it actually was.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Wow not even Wardell was deep enough to tell women and pocs: we dont need or want you in our game

Absolute silence on the issue would have been better

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely laughed when I saw the title because I thought someone had fallen for a Hard Drive joke.

And then it turned out to be real. What the fuck.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
If Valve has some balls they remove the game from Steam over this. Giving in to racists and sexists simply isn't acceptable.
Valve usually refuses removing games for this kind of reason. The Brazilian game (released last year, I believe) that was considered extremely bigoted, was only removed from the store after the government forced Valve.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's something about this shitty Eurojanky medieval combat PC games that seems to attract the shittiest kind of developers huh

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Yep - much of Europe would not have been particularly tolerant of varying ethnicity, but the idea of any particular skin colour denoting inferiority or superiority was not a common concept. Non-white people would still have experienced various levels of discrimination, but for actual collective hatred and organised discrimination, the focus was primarily on religion.

Yes, it's always a telling sign when complaints about realism bypass hundreds of blatantly unrealistic choices and zero in unerringly on "unrealistic" inclusiveness.

Cowards or intentionally pandering to racists in the hope that their game audience loses some sensible people but gains more fuckheads.

I'm not sure which is worse.
yeah you look at how unremarkable it was to not have a 'sheriff is a N***' moment in Othello, a play in the 17century based on a story first published in 15/16 century.

Othello (The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice) is a tragedy by William Shakespeare, believed to have been written in 1603. It is based on the story Un Capitano Moro ("A Moorish Captain") by Cinthio, a disciple of Boccaccio, first published in 1565.[2] The story revolves around its two central characters: Othello, a Moorish general in the Venetian army and his treacherous ensign, Iago.

The Black man is a general! Playhouse is burnt down, otello was never shown again I'm sure.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
pretty great how they see this as not taking a side when the obvious end result will be a more white supremacist player base and people like me skipping the game

you took a side guys

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even here, it's very obvious most care more about accessibility to their luxury products than about how minorities are treated.
Yep. Reason why I dont go up in arms over things like exclusivity deals, micro-transactions, localization nonsense, online shenanigans and all that stuff. These are the real issues worth being mad about but, its no big deal so whatever. I wish someone would get mad at me for something trivial again.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
They're not saying much about sexism and racism by catering to this crowd. Poor little precious children need coddling from the world. Seriously, do these people have mental breakdowns just being around different races and women? I am trying to wrap my head around it

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Did anyone read the comment section of that PC gamer article? Holy shit.

Jesus.

Fuck.

My curiousity got the better of me.

tenor.gif

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Okay, if this is true, PC Gamer needs to apologize for the claims it made and I'm sorry for the statements I made about Triterion.

But I'll wait for their statement.
Yeah but like what are the chances they used quote marks over something that was never even hinted at lol

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Now the really funny thing is the racists are gonna get upset over SJWs wanting censorship and making a dev change their artistic vision.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Hopefully the outcome is that Triterion realize they are fucking assholes and course correct. I loved my ~2 hours of Mordhau and would gladly brave the community again

But I'm also going to need some actual actions taken to make it clear that they are channeling their inner Pete Hines and willing to say "fuck nazis". I'm not naive. I get that these are companies and that folk are more likely to boycott you than support you. I'm willing to give folk benefit of the doubt if they don't want to pick that fight.
But once you make it clear you are supporting the nazis, you need to make it clear you are against them.

On a tangential note: I find that I really like many aspects of Kotaku. I just wish they didn't have so much content that annoyed me to the point I don't want to subscribe to their rss feed.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now the really funny thing is the racists are gonna get upset over SJWs wanting censorship and making a dev change their artistic vision.
Anything to portray themselves as rational victims when they are neither rational nor victims, but the opposite in both regards.

Their predictabiity would be funny if it weren't so goddamn depressing.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ.

I'm guessing there's no way for me to get a refund since I got it in the launch window, right?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Could be that that dude spoke out of line.

In which case, I'd hope to see someone packing up their stuff and getting out. Not getting my hopes up though
My guess is that they planned for a lot of features to be enabled/disenabled on the user end - and they bundled the addition of different character models in with that.

Wether that statement is in line with what the team actually planned, we may never know.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another reason I love For Honor. "History" buffs constantly blown out by the fact the game has diversity and they gotta deal with it.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Has a grand total of one POC who was in DLC lol

It's not as bad as this is but I mean it's still pretty absurd.
Had me scared.

I agree, it's ridiculous in a modern game but that pc gamer article has a named team member just oblivious to normal things. Hell, only able to make white male characters would have been my big flag.

I will say I've come around to making my characters look like me or my wife. Bloodstained has my wife kicking ass in 30fps.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that they planned for a lot of features to be enabled/disenabled on the user end - and they bundled the addition of different character models in with that.

Wether that statement is in line with what the team actually planned, we may never know.
Yeah but there's a clear difference in messaging between "You can disable anything but the default models" and "You can specifically disable PoCs and Women" even if in practice they end up being the same thing (which I'd argue is still bullshit but whatever).

If the dev response is honest, then it sounds like they wanted to frame it like the first version. But who knows.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting how the tweets neglect to even allude to the racist forum thread or Geach's comments from the article.

And no, I ain't giving them the benefit of the doubt, even though I still wanna hear what they say. The shit listed in that article is genuinely malicious. The only way this makes sense to me is if either PC Gamer or Triternion is lying, and I don't exactly have reason to doubt the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.