AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Wow, now this is the kind of port I can get behind. Can't wait to finally play this in English

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Good eye! It's the same person, Akira Ueda, who did Contact and Sakura Note and then the background art for Moon and U.F.O. http://audiogames.blog115.fc2.com/blog-entry-22.html

Oh wow. It's actually the same artist? That's amazing. Day 0 for sure then. It's unfortunate we haven't gotten anything new from him. I really love that style. It's such a shame the rest wasn't localized and we haven't gotten more games from Akira Ueda.

The ship scenery...

moon_40_denpasaru.png

That's the one that reminded me of Contact the most. Can't find many good screenshots, but it's such a great style. The impressionist-like work with colors, the vibrancy, very striking.

20140416150428_9dd2943a.jpg
C1.jpg
C2.jpg

To this day, Contact is one of my favorite games on DS because of how incredible it looks and unique it is. It's not the "best" game out there, but it has a very strong identity. It was also the first game I bought when I got my first job, so I'll always remember it. I played it at a time where I was kinda tired of videogames in general, but its quirkiness really spoke to me. A wonderful game. Thinking about it brings back a lot of good memories.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019
Oh wow. It's actually the same artist? That's amazing. Day 0 for sure then. It's unfortunate we haven't gotten anything new from him. I really love that style. It's such a shame the rest wasn't localized and we haven't gotten more games from Akira Ueda.

That's the one that reminded me of Contact the most. Can't find many good screenshots, but it's such a great style. The impressionist-like work with colors, the vibrancy, very striking.

C1.jpg
C2.jpg

To this day, Contact is one of my favorite games on DS because of how incredible it looks and unique it is. It's not the "best" game out there, but it has a very strong identity. It was also the first game I bought when I got my first job, so I'll always remember it. I played it at a time where I was kinda tired of videogames in general, but its quirkiness really spoke to me. A wonderful game. Thinking about it brings back a lot of good memories.
Holy crapscake, someone else knows and played Contact!

It's probably the most obscure DS game I've played and it's the first time that someone has mentioned it since I started lurking in NeoGAF back in 2015 and then jumped here.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Holy crapscake, someone else knows and played Contact!

It's probably the most obscure DS game I've played and it's the first time that someone has mentioned it since I started lurking in NeoGAF back in 2015 and then jumped here.

It's also one of my favorite games. Really unique experience, charming and enjoyable. It really breaks the fourth wall in many unexpected ways.

Also, just out of curiosity, the game had sold quite well in Italy, around 3,000 units (quite a big success for such a niche game back then), perhaps because it was heavily features on the Nintendo Official Magazine.

May 13, 2019
It's also one of my favorite games. Really unique experience, charming and enjoyable. It really breaks the fourth wall in many unexpected ways.

Also, just out of curiosity, the game had sold quite well in Italy, around 3,000 units (quite a big success for such a niche game back then), perhaps because it was heavily features on the Nintendo Official Magazine.
It's a shame that both Contact and Sakura Note sold poorly. I also remember a trailer from Audio Games of a DS game about an agent from a Space Organization that was shapen to be like a 2D Mass Effect. Turns out the game was canned becasue they failed to find a publisher due to their previous games selling so badly.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that both Contact and Sakura Note sold poorly. I also remember a trailer from Audio Games of a DS game about an agent from a Space Organization that was shapen to be like a 2D Mass Effect. Turns out the game was canned becasue they failed to find a publisher due to their previous games selling so badly.

Yeah, Space Agency. There's even a trailer out there for it. Same signature style. I bet it could've done okay nowadays with self-publishing or through a Kickstarter. I would've funded that for sure.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017

C1.jpg
C2.jpg

Contact was one of my favourite DS games, I'm still bummed we never got a sequel. I also ended up buying the soundtrack for Sakura Note off eBay

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Heeeey, other people played Contact!

That game I recommend to anyone who wants a hidden gem for the DS. It's beautiful, and the end stuck with me for a long time.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
Another good interview on Gematsu.

there is tons and tons of good stuff here (kimura always gives great copy!) but we also get further confirmation that tim rogers is handling the localization

—Who will localize the game? Someone inside your company?
Kimura:
"No, my company is very small, just five or six people. A friend of the company from the United States and the best translator I know will do it. The same guy who translated Dandy Dungeon."

Oct 26, 2017
Another good interview on Gematsu.

Very interesting at how anti-sequel he is. Obviously this means no Little King's Story 2 (at least with him, but even he might object to it if Marvelous tried). I like that he wants to only do new things. A lot can learn from him on that. I want to see the Love-De-Lic crew back together again and make a new fascinating creation. There's so much fun and creativity in both LDL and their spin-off devs' games.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Folks, this is the best game ever made. It's not the most fun game ever made or the tightest game ever made. It is the game that best unites gameplay, aesthetics, and theme.

It was so far ahead of its time that they already re-released it as Undertale haha. It is so good that it can pull me into commenting on ResetEra.

I guarantee that you'll cite it as something truly memorable and moving, speaking of it in the same way people do of Mother. Lovedelic's games are just beyond what games normally are. Publishers, please bring this to the wider world. We deserve to be shown another way of gaming. *happy sigh*
Reading your thread on GAF about this game back in the day made it a life goal of mine to play this game, so that this is actually happening and I'm really going to get to play it (and I don't have to learn Japanese to do so) is so completely ridiculous I can hardly believe it's real.

So thanks man, that thread was amazing, it really affected me.

Oct 26, 2017
Very interesting at how anti-sequel he is. Obviously this means no Little King's Story 2 (at least with him, but even he might object to it if Marvelous tried). I like that he wants to only do new things. A lot can learn from him on that. I want to see the Love-De-Lic crew back together again and make a new fascinating creation. There's so much fun and creativity in both LDL and their spin-off devs' games.
At least port LKS to Switch

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
This must had been the "passion project" he's been talking about on Twitter

As a new Switch owner and as someone who's been wanting to try out these games for a LONG TIME (I finally found a complete copy of Chulip for forty bucks.....which appears to be cheap for it nowadays lol), I'm stoked for MOON to finally have a North American release

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the PC version the same as the Wii version?

Yes, and it's one of those ports where the original game was so specifically hard-coded for the Wii that they had to do a lot of hacky nonsense to make it run correctly, and it took some big post-release patches to get it where it had to be.

It'd be cool to see it show up on Switch, but I wouldn't be surprised if the PC port turned them off touching it again in the short term.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
WHAT IS HAPPENING! There must be a rift in time! This is unbelievable! Sakura Wars, Yu-No, a new Brigandine, now this!
tumblr_inline_o4ifyiLVHV1tbsl8q_540.gif

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
You've not seen the konami port on the vita that Kimura had nothing to do with lol

youtube it for laughs

I have played neither version so I had to look up footage for both but getting good looking footage that isn't from some lackluster let's player's channel was hard.
So the only difference I could notice in potato vision was the Vita version has some really, like wow, generic anime art. I swear it looks like they hired the same artist who does all the art for those bad kemco mobile rpgs.

Yeah give me the wii original please.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
What is an "anti-rpg?"

As I understand it - as someone who's read a bit but hasn't actually played it: It's not really calling it that as a genre - more in that it's a bit of a deconstruction of some of the ideas and tropes that form the usual classical fantasy RPG. In gameplay terms think of it more as an adventure.