• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the game a bit and I don't feel it's really for me. Everything is so slow and tedious. You need to sharpen weapon all the time, monsters runs away often, you can't run very far without running out of stamina and you need to grind a lot to make any progress. It doesn't help that the online seems to be broken and your character's armor really look hideous and low res in cutscenes even on max setting.
Shame. It's a great game once it clicks. It's a long grind tho.
Monster Hunter is like a fighting game it's very good to have someone already familiar with it on your side.
Like these issues you have arent that big of a deal and have even been way worse in the past.
Let me try to cover this alittle.

Pick different weapons for speed. It's a game about grinding so ofc things will be slow and you'll fight the same monsters over and over again
Weapon sharpening isn't bad and before you had limited whetstones even. Later on you get weapons with better and better sharpness lvls
There's ways to stop monsters from fleeing. traps and slingshot ammos. The ammos is all over the ground and stops em from running. If they fly you can flash them and they'll fall for a free beatdown
You play videogames so stamina management isn't something new
Online seems worse for me compared to console so i get it.
They've been using PS2 assets for over a decade things do indeed look like doodoo

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Got 2 tails from my first Xeno kill, now I just need another 3 Black Spiral Horns for my Axe of Demons..God this game is addictive.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I used the longsword since it's the most popular weapon but I don't understand the hype. Just seems a bit too slow for the damage it does and it can be awkward to keep hitting a beast, especially if you are trying to build up the attack buff.

Having much more fun with the dual blades and demon buff.

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I used the longsword since it's the most popular weapon but I don't understand the hype. Just seems a bit too slow for the damage it does and it can be awkward to keep hitting a beast, especially if you are trying to build up the attack buff.

DB best weapons ofc !

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I'm using DB too since I figured it'd be a good weapon to learn the game with. It's very simplistic though, so gets a bit boring, I'll most likely finish the story with it then start playing other stuff.

One thing on weapon choice, if you play a non bladed weapon, does that mean you basically can't cut tails and have to rely on investigation cards for your loot?

stalfos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using DB too since I figured it'd be a good weapon to learn the game with. It's very simplistic though, so gets a bit boring, I'll most likely finish the story with it then start playing other stuff.

One thing on weapon choice, if you play a non bladed weapon, does that mean you basically can't cut tails and have to rely on investigation cards for your loot?
Yeah, you can only sever tails with cutting damage. The ranged weapons have options: Dragon Piercer on bow does cutting damage, and bowguns have Slicing Ammo, but hammer and hunting horn are mostly SOL on that front.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Using the Hunting Horn this time around, feels fun to actually have to dodge attacks for a change after the GL/L life. Does the number of songs stocked affect Encore damage?

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah dual blades are really fun. I say it's a three way between that, glavie and light bowgun as my favorite weapons to use.

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
A little advice:

Step 1: Turn off Volume Redenring Quality ( this will make dissappear that fog/white bloom that you see during the day making the game look much better and with much more vibrant colors )

Step 2: Go to camera settings and set the camera to "FAR".

Enjoy

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a Longsword user since I first started playing MH, and I really like this game's iteration of it. The Foresight Slash is really good and lets you scam a lot of stuff that other weapons might not get away with thanks to having actual i-frames.

I do think it could stand to be a bit stronger given its speed but other than that it's a lot of fun.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I still wish they'd kept the double note system from Generations. Obviously being able to load multiple songs is a game changer but I liked how Generations forced you to land your attacks to play most efficiently.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a really bad problem with multiplayer. I keep randomly disconnecting from my friend's sessions in the middle of fighting a monster. The game works 100% fine while we're fighting and then it just randomly kicks me out and I can't rejoin my friend's session. It acts like they're not online at all when really they're still fighting the monster. It's like the game is just randomly pulling the plug.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017

If you aren't using Longsword's foresight slash then you aren't understanding the hype and its full potential.

A real decent LS user can get to max damage level within 3 foresight slash fast without the constant hitting the beast.

A successful forsight slash will instantly gives you a full red bar and allows you to bypass all the spirit attack combos to
perform roundabout slash for the damage buff.

Learn to foresight slash.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I think they did that so people wouldn't join a quest and murder the monster while people were still watching the cutscene.

I remember that happening in FF14 during Praetorium. Someone watches a cutscene, rest of the group goes ahead and kills everything.

I guess they didn't want to design the game like a mmo where you see people standing there with a video icon over their head while a massive monster is flaying about and hitting them but they're invulnerable. And then the cutscene ends and you get hit instantly. They could have designed encounters differently I guess though by forcing every monster to appear from a set spot only at the end of the last person viewing the cutscene.

Still you see people complain every now and then about it in XIV when people watch some cutscene before a boss fight while everyone else just starts the fight. At least they made it so you can enter the boss room even if you're late, before you were just locked out the fight.

On the positive side, on PC the loadings are so fast that logging off to relog in someone's game after checking the cutscene is like 10secs. On console it's probably like 1+minute.

Well just make everyone watch the cutscene. It can not be that hard.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Ugh disconnects seems to have come in full force, so I get back on later and see.

Reached the Rotten Vale (which has a really good battle theme), and at this point, I could get more armor, though I am not sure what to tackle on.

AdvancedWind

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Controller stopped working after I apparently screwed up setting a PS4 prompts mod.
Any ideas how can I make it work again without reinstalling the game?
And how can I keep my save if I do have to reinstall?

Edit: Ehh I messed some more, restarting everything and controller is working again. No idea what happened, but it's no longer happening.

Also apparently denuvo or the anti cheat plays the MGS spotted sound if there's any weird file when starting the game, heh

Oct 29, 2017
LOVING the charge blade. I'm so glad I ended up choosing that weapon. It took a while to figure out the combat loop/systems but once I did it became really fun.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up the Switch Axe, and it feels like a reimagined long sword? it's not a very interesting weapon, unless I'm missing something

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up the Switch Axe, and it feels like a reimagined long sword? it's not a very interesting weapon, unless I'm missing something
Build up meter in Axe mode, main damage dealing is through your sword mode. You're suppose to deal damage with sword mode until your sword glows which can deal even more damage or you can do a zero sum discharge mount.

Your BnB is to do the Axe Wild swing chop which you will then press the transform button which will transform attack into sword, the motion attack values is huge. From there you continue to attack in sword mode until the meter nearly runs out which you will need to transform attack back it into axe mode.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing the game and I figured that the OT title was a reference to Jaggi monsters, but is it also a sarcastic take to PC's capabilities to clean up jaggies? Because the game is extremely prone to jaggies even at high resolutions. I can only go up to 3440x1440 with black bars, or basically 2560x1440 and I still see jaggies everywhere

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the game a bit and I don't feel it's really for me. Everything is so slow and tedious. You need to sharpen weapon all the time, monsters runs away often, you can't run very far without running out of stamina and you need to grind a lot to make any progress. It doesn't help that the online seems to be broken and your character's armor really look hideous and low res in cutscenes even on max setting.

I hit high rank after ~22 hours of playtime. Any grinding I did to get there was unnecessary.

edit - another day of multiplayer with friends and I still have yet to disconnect from a mission mid-game. Had one session disconnect, but that was in the lobby.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've used the gunlance, hammer HBG and switch axe and switch feels best to me. Gun lance just seems like a weaker switch axe with a shield. If you don't invest in the shield then there doesn't seem to be much of a point in using it. And the burst were you unload all your ammo absolutely destroys your sharpness, super annoying. Only like the hammer for the jumping spin attack. HBG is clunky as hell but goddamn does it dish out the damage.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I've used the gunlance, hammer HBG and switch axe and switch feels best to me. Gun lance just seems like a weaker switch axe with a shield. If you don't invest in the shield then there doesn't seem to be much of a point in using it. And the burst were you unload all your ammo absolutely destroys your sharpness, super annoying. Only like the hammer for the jumping spin attack. HBG is clunky as hell but goddamn does it dish out the damage.
Gunlance has 4 styles of playing depending on shot type. Burst is just 1 of 4 playstyles and so happens to consume the most sharpness whereas the other 3 not as much but they still output similar kill times when compared to burst. It has the same kill times to a Switchaxe.

Like example :
The Melee playstyle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=520JtQxhIlU

The Charged Shell Playstyle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lO-4QtiJ3A

The Poke & Shell Playstyle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_y51_Y8lv8

None of them uses the shield because the shield isn't the main feature of a gunlance, its the shellings.

rockx4

Dec 8, 2017
Been playing solo for like 15 hours, I feel like I'm really bad lol. I've been trying every weapon type and can't really seem to get into them.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
LOVING the charge blade. I'm so glad I ended up choosing that weapon. It took a while to figure out the combat loop/systems but once I did it became really fun.

CB is hands down my favorite weapon. Super varied moveset, good mobility and defense options, and also gives you the opportunity to unleash massively satisfying attacks. Best of all worlds.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of stuff is part of the endgame in this? Just wondering because most of the monsters in the 3 first zones that I've found so far seem to be doable with the gear I've created from killing monsters in the ancient forest. Is there a bunch of hidden monsters to come back for later, or is all the endgame stuff from something that appears in later zones? And would the beta/alpha gear a friend told me about be part of that?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of stuff is part of the endgame in this? Just wondering because most of the monsters in the 3 first zones that I've found so far seem to be doable with the gear I've created from killing monsters in the ancient forest. Is there a bunch of hidden monsters to come back for later, or is all the endgame stuff from something that appears in later zones? And would the beta/alpha gear a friend told me about be part of that?

You're currently in what's called "low rank." Once you progress a bit in the story you'll enter "high rank" which is where the game opens up more and a variety of gear (alpha/beta), weapons, and other customization options and full game features are available to you. Low rank is essentially a very long tutorial for high rank, which is the actual game. In high rank you'll fight harder versions of the monsters you've fought in low rank, as well as a variety of new monsters. The endgame also features even higher tiers of difficulty for monsters.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're currently in what's called "low rank." Once you progress a bit in the story you'll enter "high rank" which is where the game opens up more and a variety of gear (alpha/beta), weapons, and other customization options and full game features are available to you. Low rank is essentially a very long tutorial for high rank, which is the actual game. In high rank you'll fight harder versions of the monsters you've fought in low rank, as well as a variety of new monsters. The endgame also features even higher tiers of difficulty for monsters.

Alright thanks, sounds like what I hoped for, looking forward to it

accx

Oct 28, 2017
I watched that PC bindings video from that MHW veteran but didn't like his kb/m setup at all. I feel like mine works better (but i'm obviously biased).
Menu navigation:
Select Menu Item / Increase Value: Scroll Up
Select Menu Item / Decrease Value: Scroll Down.
Select Menu Item (Left): MB5 (i think. Back Side Button)
Select Menu Item (Right): MB4 (I think. Forward Side Button)
Confirm: LMB
Back: RMB (not liking this but it's fine)
Change Page Left: Q
Change Page Right: E
Change Tab Left: 1
Change Tab Right: 2
Ascend: W
Descend: S
Rotate Left: A
Rotate Right: D
--
Lower level: Shift
Upper level: Space
Cursor: ctrl
auto: C
Skill info: Tab
Close: Esc
------------------
Melee Weapons:
WASD
Focus: V
Map: M
Display Chat: T
Hide Chat: T
Start menu: ESC
Display Items (Hold): Tab
Browse Item Left: MB5 (Back side button)
Browse Item Right: MB4 (Forward Side button)
Coatings Up: Scroll Up
Coatings Down: Scroll Down.
Browse Item Left: MB5
Browse Item RIght: MB4
Ammo Coatings Up: Scroll Up // Z
Ammo Coatings Down: Scroll Down // X
Use Item: Q
Dash Once: B
Dash Hold: Shift
Normal atk: LMB
Interact: RMB // F
Crouch / Dodge: Space
Display Slinger Once: C
Display Slinger Hold: Ctrl
Use Slinger: LMB
Draw Weapon / Guard: E // MB3 (mouse button 3, scroll button)
------------------
Ranged Weapons:
WASD
Focus: V
Map: M
Display Chat: T
Hide Chat: T
Start menu: Esc
Display Items: Tab
Item Left: MB5 (Back Side button)
Item Right: MB4 (Forward Side button)
Coatings up: Scroll Up
Coatings Down: Scroll Down
Item Left: MB5 (Back Side button)
Item Right: MB4 (Forward Side button)
Ammo Up: Scroll Up // Z
Ammo Down: Scroll Down // X
Fire: LMB
Use Item: Q
Dash Once: B
Dash Hold: Shift
Interact: F
Crouch: Space
Aiming Reticle Once: C
Aiming Reticle Hold: RMB
Draw Weapon E // MB3 (mouse button 3, scroll button)
Reload: R
I shortened it down a bit but it follows the in game settings from up to down. You can obviously change up whether you want Left items on back or forward, Whatever suits you.
This scheme follows standard PC bindings i feel like, sans going backwards with RMB in some menus.
That video posted earlier removed Dash (run/sprint) from Shift which is just not okay at all.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just downed anjanath. I try to solo bosses first then just farm with others after downing a boss, he was the first boss that I mostly just kept poking him to death as a gunlance user.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
High Rank has the same monsters just harder and more aggressive, but they drop better loot. also, some new monsters appear in HR that make hunts harder, even if you're not hunting those monsters.

End game is:
- Farming tier 2 tempered monsters for decorations
- Farming tier 3 tempered monsters for weapons augments
Doing timed special event quest and permanent free dlc stuff which include:
- Special event quests that introduces new gear/armor
- Permanent DLC monsters(3 so far on console, at least 5 over all going by leaks)
- Farming a timed special event monster that's available for one week every month and drops weapons as loot
- Timed events for especially hard versions of existing monsters(hardest challenge in the game), some with new gear

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Should I be hoarding these armor upgrade things? I'm still very early on, 2nd location with the mud. Got a full set of bone armor I've had for a while but haven't upgraded anything (besides weapon)

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Man, I'm having such a hard time with the insect glaive. I waste so much time just trying to land the dumb kinsect on the right spots for the buffs. Think I'd like switch to something with less micro-management like that..

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Stopped playing on my Pro when I had to send it in, had 120+ hours and decided to wait for the PC. Liking the lot so far, haven't had any problems on my 1060 laptop.

Did forget how slow the start is. Really want to get back to taking on the later monsters and having to fight Great Jagras and such so much at the beginning.
Should I be hoarding these armor upgrade things? I'm still very early on, 2nd location with the mud. Got a full set of bone armor I've had for a while but haven't upgraded anything (besides weapon)
You shouldn't have to hoard them if you're always completing bounties. There are more you get as the game progresses that are better. When you get armor you will wear for awhile, I would max it out. Make sure you're always assigning bounties though so you can keep getting them.

Man, I'm having such a hard time with the insect glaive. I waste so much time just trying to land the dumb kinsect on the right spots for the buffs. Think I'd like switch to something with less micro-management like that..
If you're still in the beginning a lot of the early monsters can be hard to hit for all three. To start just focus on aiming for the head to get the attack boost and the tail for health when you need it. Then just fire it at the tail (if using a sever damage type) while attacking to increase DPS. As you play it becomes much easier to aim it and when you nurture faster kinsects it goes a lot quicker to get the juices.

Insect Glaive is the best weapon. Well worth getting used to.

Last edited:

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
To add to BDS's explanation that "Low Rank is Tutorial, High Rank is the real game" (like Diablo 3, in its own way), the raw numbers of your gear will last a fairly long while, because, for example, your Attack values will at most grow 3x-5x over the course of the whole game. The skills on your gear will make the bigger difference later.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You can still get tails from regular carves, although it's pretty rare. So if someone is playing hammer or hunting horn, investigations or multiplayer are what they need.
(I played HH through my PS4 run, so this was basically me.)

HH does have a single cutting move that could in theory be used for tails, but it's so awkward and does so little damage that it's really not worth it.

Use them as you get them and don't be afraid to upgrade armour that you're just going to discard in a couple of quests. The armour spheres you get later on are vastly better and once you have those, the early spheres will be essentially useless.

Make sure you keep easy bounties going (small monsters, gathering, "hunt one monster") so that you're regularly raking in the spheres. The more specific bounties, like "capture a fanged wyvern", give you more spheres but you're also less likely to just be casually completing them as you play through the game.