Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm I hate playing games on my phone but the graphics are better than the 3DS version (which is kinda hilarious)...I guess i'll try the demo and see how it goes. Does it support gamepads?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Hmmm I hate playing games on my phone but the graphics are better than the 3DS version (which is kinda hilarious)...I guess i'll try the demo and see how it goes. Does it support gamepads?

I found any game I've ever tried on my phone that tried to emulate dual analogs on a touchscreen to be absolute shit. I always felt like I couldn't move how I really wanted to, so far this game seems great to me for whats worth. Not like a game like this needs fast moving controls like that anyways. Also curious about gamepad support.

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
Great game. First monster catching game in ~15 years that I actually enjoyed. The monster hunter flavor is everywhere and super well done.

Can't really see a touch screen version missing out on anything too, if anything the visual improvements would be very welcome and the controls wouldn't suffer much st all. If reviews are good I might double dip.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Having just played and beaten this a month ago, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. It's one of my favorite 3DS games. Absolutely lovely world, exploration, and some epic battles. Pretty sure the 3DS aversion is still more expensive so 20 bucks is a steal.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Bought and played for awhile.

I LOVE it. I'm a big Monster fan to begin with and this is just delightful. There's waaaaay to many game to play right now though lol.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The price might seem steep, but in context of the 3DS version is rather ok-ish. I mean, that one was 40 bucks on release.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
If its comparable to the 3ds version, which I haven't played.
6m2upDO.png
This is probably accurate for solo stuff, but for anyone that even remotely knows about how Pokemon can turn into a time sink for competitive play... MH has that as well, BUT! it handles traits/stats way better. The bingo board and the way that gear and combat goes means that the concept of something like IVs or EVs isn't relevant.

What I'm trying to say is that pretty quickly you can start making some sick synergies, hybrid monsties, and ballah bingo boards.

There still is a ton of egg-hatching, but the time spent versus pokemon (circa X/Y and prior) is like 90% less.

May_Patra

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of my favourite 3DS games and I'm seriously saddened that the west never got the 1.2 and 1.3 updates.
I hope this version is successful, so that we might get a sequel someday.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The game is good, not great. Pretty serviceable monster raising JRPG that doesn't really have the same level of depth as Pokemon, at least for a casual playthrough since whenever I read about it it seems like there's several mechanics I probably completely missed. Seems great for mobile though since there's a certain level of mindlessness to it a lot of the time.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
One of last years most overlooked RPGs, and one of the best on the 3DS that's packed with them. Can't recommend it enough, hatching eggs and flying/riding/swimming around on your MH favourites is awesome. I stuck with a Zamtrios (four-legged shark) for ages just because it looks so cool in the water. Interesting take on a turn-based battle system too, an abstraction of the typical 'learn the patterns' of MH mainline games.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Impression from the demo i would say the game is way better on mobile than 3DS

OLED screen, 60FPS, 1080+ resolution
Full touchscreen control suits the game really well

I wish they had updated the textures a bit since details are rather blurry, but still clean
They could also have added some foliage to make the world seem more living.

Double dipping because the game is fucking great and plays even better now

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Man if my phone didn't get nuclear hot after playing a game for 15 minutes i would be all over this. Absolutely loved the 3DS version.
Way too expensive for a mobile game, guess I'll skip.
Considering it's still a $40 3DS game and it has upgrades on the phone i think it's a more than fair price.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Way too expensive for a mobile game, guess I'll skip.
You'd pay the same for the 3DS version? But I guess that's why prices of mobile games are in the gutter. Not specifically aimed at you, just everyone that says games like this are too expensive.

Edit: sorry for accidentally quoting you twice.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
It's a great game.
They should put that version on other platforms too as it's already single screen and localized.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd pay the same for the 3DS version? But I guess that's why prices of mobile games are in the gutter. Not specifically aimed at you, just everyone that says games like this are too expensive.

Edit: sorry for accidentally quoting you twice.

Id probably pay as much if it was on console or pc yeah, but no way I'm doing that on mobile.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Impression from the demo i would say the game is way better on mobile than 3DS

OLED screen, 60FPS, 1080+ resolution
Full touchscreen control suits the game really well

I wish they had updated the textures a bit since details are rather blurry, but still clean
They could also have added some foliage to make the world seem more living.

Double dipping because the game is fucking great and plays even better now

That's amazing! Will download the demo when I get home.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
First game I launched on the iPhone Xs Max and it's really a good looking game. I just wish they'd at least updated the textures for the character's faces so it's nice and crisp.

Oct 28, 2017
God I really want it but it's 3.2 gb... Ugh :(
Why do devs force us to download these massive games to our internal memory? Why couldn't they do a simple installer that downloads and installs the game to our sd cards?

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
found the demo under mhst the adventure begins

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's support history for mobile is rather poor (MHFU for iOS was similary priced and - while the best version of the game available and a superb port with added QoL enhancements - hasn't been updated for iPhone X (Max) or the 10,5" iPad Pro) so I'll wait for a sale.
No cloud saves (same with MHFU) is sort of a dealbreaker too.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question. How does the game play via Android emulation (Blue Stacks and the like)? Thinking of buying it and playing it via that, due to my phone not being strong enough to handle it.

EDIT: Never mind, see there's a demo mentioned. I'll grab it and see how it runs.

EDIT 2: Messed around a bit with it. Seems to run pretty well under Blue Stacks, all things considered. The only thing is I'm wondering if the game has controller support. I'll plug in my controller later and see if the game responds to it, but doesn't look like it, judging from the demo text...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed it on iOS to play on my iPad and enjoying it so far. Haven't had any issues with the touch controls yet. There is a backup option for save data on the main menu that mentioned being useful for switching devices. Has anyone tried it yet?

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm perplexed by business decisions sometimes. Now before someone gets his pitchfork out, while I would have prefered a switch version, it doesn't make a world of difference at the end of the day for I also have an ipad and don't hate touch gaming.
Buuuut...
You have an hd version of an underperforming (?) handheld game, that you admittedly ported in the specific goal of doing a mobile version. As far as I know it didn't put Japan on fire either. Now for a western localization you choose not to port this hd version on a platform where people buy games (there are several) and instead put it on a market where (very unfortunately) people would prefer be caught dead than pay 10$ for a game.
And cherry on top, you put a 20 bucks entry fee.

Maybe the other options were deemed costly, but if you think this will earn money Capcom, I have the world largest bridge to sell you.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The touchscreen controls work okay enough in my experience, but for everything else that needs precise control and quick reaction, they'd be pretty useless.
Even here in this case I find them to be uncomfortable in certain scenarios. Running around the map exploring and tilting the camera isn't all that great.

I'd really need a compatible game pad to be completely fine playing on the Smartphone.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I'm perplexed by business decisions sometimes. Now before someone gets his pitchfork out, while I would have prefered a switch version, it doesn't make a world of difference at the end of the day for I also have an ipad and don't hate touch gaming.
Buuuut...
You have an hd version of an underperforming (?) handheld game, that you admittedly ported in the specific goal of doing a mobile version. As far as I know it didn't put Japan on fire either. Now for a western localization you choose not to port this hd version on a platform where people buy games (there are several) and instead put it on a market where (very unfortunately) people would prefer be caught dead than pay 10$ for a game.
And cherry on top, you put a 20 bucks entry fee.

Maybe the other options were deemed costly, but if you think this will earn money Capcom, I have the world largest bridge to sell you.
It's Capcom.
Don't try to understand their logic.

Oilvomer

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When does the demo end as been playing for a couple of hours now

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Will give this a download and see how it plays. I never did end up playing it on 3DS.
I literally have no idea what this means, lol. Care to explain?
Very few people will buy games on mobile, so everyone turned to Gacha because that way, those that do can fund the entire game (especially the whales, they can keep the entire game afloat alone).

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Looks interesting but I don't want to play games on my iPad/iPhone. I really prefer physical controls and only used them when I didn't have any modern game devices (I have several now). Now I'm hoping it comes to switch (no 3ds). Though I suppose if it doesn't and I remember I might cave and get it on my phone/tablet.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'll get this on phone. Dropped my 3DS hard when this came out (Didn't even play FE2), but maybe, just maybe, this will be the first phone game I'll enjoy.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Insta-bought it even though I'm not into traditional Monster Hunter. I'll post impressions later. Getting ready for work and will play on my commute. Perfect timing with this XS Max release.

It's funny how people always complain about F2P P2W games, but when premium mobile games are released they don't want to pay up.

Creamie

Avenger
Nov 14, 2017
Going to try the demo, if I like it I have no problem paying for the full (thanks google rewards).

I don't mind supporting it because smartphone gaming is in a catch-22. Companies don't want to release higher priced fully fleshed out games because people have trouble paying that much for an app but much of the smartphone gaming landscape is just a sea of IAP trash that people love to complain about.

A game like this won't cost $4.99, which is the max I can see people reasonably buying.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Going to try the demo, if I like it I have no problem paying for the full (thanks google rewards).

I don't mind supporting it because smartphone gaming is in a catch-22. Companies don't want to release higher priced fully fleshed out games because people have trouble paying that much for an app but much of the smartphone gaming landscape is just a sea of IAP trash that people love to complain about.

A game like this won't cost $4.99, which is the max I can see people reasonably buying.
Race to the bottom mentality kind of ruined the mobile market in that sense really. It conditioned people to not want to pay that much for games.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Has anyone bought the game? If so, do you mind checking if Hakum Village (the starting area) has the first 12 armors on this page (under Rare 1)? Talk to the Smith, and buy from him. If you can buy those armors from him, that means the v1.3 update has been localized! If not, then it's a shame. I've been looking for mobile walkthroughs to check, but people absolutely refuse to talk to the Smith!!

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

To be fair, there have also been a bunch of incidents in the past with mobile games being rendered unplayable by OS updates and not being fixed for extended periods (Capcom games among them), if at all. There's also cases like all the iOS Cave shooters and the only official English release of Shin Megami Tensei just plain not being updated at all and only playable if you keep your OS outdated, or the iOS Bioshock which was broken a year after it was released and removed from the App Store entirely so no one could even redownload it. So while I don't have an issue with a $20 mobile game I can't really blame people not wanting to spend much money on premium mobile ports when it's been such a crapshoot about them even working down the line.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, there have also been a bunch of incidents in the past with mobile games being rendered unplayable by OS updates and not being fixed for extended periods (Capcom games among them), if at all. There's also cases like all the iOS Cave shooters and the only official English release of Shin Megami Tensei just plain not being updated at all and only playable if you keep your OS outdated, or the iOS Bioshock which was broken a year after it was released and removed from the App Store entirely so no one could even redownload it. So while I don't have an issue with a $20 mobile game I can't really blame people not wanting to spend much money on premium mobile ports when it's been such a crapshoot about them even working down the line.
Is that more of an iOS issue then? (I haven't owned an apple device in a long long time, ipod touch being a thing time)

I haven't really had the same issue on Android. There's a few games which I can't download via google play due to it not having been flagged to work, but that wasn't even a straight up incompatibility problem as I owned some of them on humble bundle too which doesn't have the check and the games did still work. Even those games are ones from like 7 years ago though.

Creamie

Avenger
Nov 14, 2017

Ah, that's true as well. Some of the Final Fantasy games I got on the Play Store are obsolete and don't work well or if at all.