• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I put 200+ wonderful hours of co-op action in MHW and Iceborne on PS4, and am naturally EXTREMELY excited for Rise and want to play it with the same group I played World with so much. However, we used the PS4 Party chat function of course, and the Switch has no alternative and Rise itself also won't have a voice chat option. What are the solutions to playing this game while ALSO being able to chat? I want to effectively hear the game audio well enough and of course the friends I'm playing with, and naturally without anything that results in annoying echoes or feedback. Discord is an option, but it seems highly imperfect.

Apparently a PC version of Rise was leaked to come out six months after the Switch launch, and I truly wouldn't mind playing a worse looking/performing/playing version on Switch to play it sooner if it had a clean voice chat solution, but the lack of it is a real sticking point. Without that, I think I will just try to convince my squad to wait for the PC version.

Anyone else who's excited for Rise who have ideas or plans on how to handle voice chat and game audio equally well?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Install Discord on your PC I guess

for real though sounds like a bit of a difficult problem to solve unless you already own the prerequisite stuff

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Whenever I played Animal Crossing with my friends I used Discord on my phone. I used the Transparency mode on my AirPod Pros so I heard the game audio from my sound system fine + voice chat with my AirPods. Nobody could hear my tv sound or anything. I've done the same with with cross-platform games I have on console with friends on PC. I was surprised at how well it worked tbh.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I was contemplating this as well and decided to just wait for the PC version. There are just too many compromises I have to make with the Switch version.

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
I just use discord on my phone when playing switch games with friends. Honestly I prefer it to using even the built in voice chat on PlayStation.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
For me I guess Ill just be using discord with 1 ear out of my headphones. Still don't get why they are forgoing voice chat. 3U had fuckin' voice chat like damn. Just kinda seems like a "well its not a problem in Japan" kinda thing like so many other Japanese games.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
For me I guess Ill just be using discord with 1 ear out of my headphones. Still don't get why they are forgoing voice chat. 3U had fuckin' voice chat like damn. Just kinda seems like a "well its not a problem in Japan" kinda thing like so many other Japanese games.

Especially since MHW had native voice chat even though system-wide solutions existed

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
You can run an aux cable from your switch to your PC as a line in, then run discord on your PC and connect your headset to PC and you'll then get game audio and chat through the headset. Not exactly elegant but it's the best I've found.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tested it, but I picked up an Arctis 9X for my XSX not long ago. I read that it offers simultaneous bluetooth and XBox Wireless audio. I'm going to see if I can connect the Arctis via 3.5mm cable to the Switch, and then connect to my iPhone via Bluetooth and chat using something like Skype/Discord.

If this works it's really only suitable for handheld mode tho

Mar 27, 2018
Amazon.com: HomeSpot Bluetooth Adapter Pro, 2-in-1 USB-C Audio Mixer for Nintendo Switch/Lite, Mixing Audio + Voice Chat from Switch and Smartphone, for Bluetooth Headsets AirPods Pro, Bose, Sony, Jabra and More: Home Audio & Theater

This little thing will let you mix your Switch audio with your phone's audio, on any set of bluetooth headphones. Using it with discord, whatsapp, skype, it all works just fine. Also works better than any homebrew applet for background music (although hats off to them for engineering that)

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll use discord if They've not bothered to enable the native voip chat. Is Fortnite literally the only game that uses it?

Jun 20, 2019
Amazon.com: HomeSpot Bluetooth Adapter Pro, 2-in-1 USB-C Audio Mixer for Nintendo Switch/Lite, Mixing Audio + Voice Chat from Switch and Smartphone, for Bluetooth Headsets AirPods Pro, Bose, Sony, Jabra and More: Home Audio & Theater

This little thing will let you mix your Switch audio with your phone's audio, on any set of bluetooth headphones. Using it with discord, whatsapp, skype, it all works just fine. Also works better than any homebrew applet for background music (although hats off to them for engineering that)
If you're going this direction make sure that your headphones or earbuds include aptx LL support. AirPods don't for example.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I have a playstation gold head set. I use that on my switch with discord on my phones and earbuds. I can hear the game and I get voice chat. Not the greatest but worked way better than I was expecting as a last ditch effort.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Discord on your phone bro, me and my friends use it so we can talk across all the systems/whatever we're doing. Like we're on switch/PlayStation/Xbox/pc and all talking at once.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Unacceptable in 2021. If a game doesn't have voice chat in 2021, I wont buy it. Never. In today's landscape of multiplayer games, voice chat and being social is engrained in today's society. Heck, even my little nephew is using voice chat with his school friends.

Trim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Discord on another device is not an acceptable answer. Especially when we are talking about a handheld, so supposedly made to play anywhere easily.

No wonder Nintendo does not put any effort on that front if people are so quick to make excuses like that for them.

Jun 20, 2019
Discord on another device is not an acceptable answer. Especially when we are talking about a handheld, so supposedly made to play anywhere easily.

No wonder Nintendo does not put any effort on that front if people are so quick to make excuses like that for them.
Don't know how you're going to play a multiplayer coop game online anywhere without your phone.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC

To get this straight, the OP is asking for solutions to a problem and you're saying that anyone posting solutions/workarounds to the problem being posted are in the wrong because those are "excuses"...?

You're also saying this is because your primary use case for Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch, a console without mobile network connectivity, is to play multiplayer on the go with friends online using WiFi?

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll use discord if They've not bothered to enable the native voip chat. Is Fortnite literally the only game that uses it?
Paladins (even cross platform), Wolfenstein: Youngblood as far as I know. I'm sure there are others. Honestly it's baffling how Capcom didn't put voice chat in Rise. I want to be able to chat and hear game sounds without needing a fancy setup.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

It's not about whether it is "acceptable". No one here can do anything about this besides offer solutions to openings problem. Saying discord is not an acceptable answer means nothing.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
i rarely play internet multiplayer for MH games , in the past with my friends local wireless is the most fun

not a fan of MHWorld i prefer Rise as its simlar to MHP3rd in many ways and especially i love the monster designs

if i were to play internet multiplayer with friends i know in real life , its either facebook messenger or discord

Last edited:

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
SINCGARS-RT-1702F.jpg

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So is this Nintendo's fault or could Capcom easily just implement something in game without even having to use the app?

i never even really thought about this.

Still buying the fuck out of it, but if I can convince my MHW buddy to get a switch for this we'll have to figure something out as well.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
So is this Nintendo's fault or could Capcom easily just implement something in game without even having to use the app?

Still buying the fuck out of it, but if I can convince my MHW buddy to get a switch for this we'll have to figure something out as well.
Capcom could do it. Other games like Fortnite already support in-game voice chat on Switch without the app.

Anyway, for the demo my friend and I have been using the PSN app and having one earbud in to voice chat with the game audio playing on our TVs. But it's a shitty fucking solution and I hate that Capcom didn't bother to implement such a basic feature in a game where online is such a big part of it.

Trim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo fault of course.

It's 2021 and the Switch still have no implemented voice chat system, while having to pay to play online. We are talking about a basic feature you can find elsewhere since decades.

Capcom should not fix Nintendo absurd choices.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019

Both. Nintendo should have a party chat feature akin to that on PlayStation (can't speak for Xbox as I don't own one), because that would solve the issue for every game.

On the other hand, we've seen software provide voice chat in-game like Fortnite, Smite, and Paladins. Capcom totally could implement their own system, but have seemingly chosen not to.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Both. Nintendo should have a party chat feature akin to that on PlayStation (can't speak for Xbox as I don't own one), because that would solve the issue for every game.

On the other hand, we've seen software provide voice chat in-game like Fortnite, Smite, and Paladins. Capcom totally could implement their own system, but have seemingly chosen not to.

I personally put the blame on Nintendo. It's not like they aren't aware of a need for party chat of some kind - they just decided to implement it to where
1. you need second device on hand
2. it doesn't even try to consider having game audio and voice at the same time
3. it only supports a small number of first party games
4. perhaps anecdotal - but the one and only time I used it, the audio quality was garbage

It's really indefensible, and frankly feels indifferent to the needs of other developers and games. I assume it's hard enough that Nintendo hangs so far behind the technology curve, third parties porting titles to the platform also now needs to come up with their own built in voice solution in order to cater for Nintendo's indifference.

Dalamar86

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I never thought of doing this. Is there any audio lag when doing this?

Since my computer desk and TV are right next to each other I've always done this except as audio out from my TV not directly from the switch. I can be on discord and playing any console with mixed audio this way. I never notice audio lag. It's a godsend for playing Mario kart and smash with buddies.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
I personally put the blame on Nintendo. It's not like they aren't aware of a need for party chat of some kind - they just decided to implement it to where
1. you need second device on hand
2. it doesn't even try to consider having game audio and voice at the same time
3. it only supports a small number of first party games
4. perhaps anecdotal - but the one and only time I used it, the audio quality was garbage

It's really indefensible, and frankly feels indifferent to the needs of other developers and games. I assume it's hard enough that Nintendo hangs so far behind the technology curve, third parties porting titles to the platform also now needs to come up with their own built in voice solution in order to cater for Nintendo's indifference.
Nintendo is definitely to blame for there not being system-wide voice chat, but I think the complete lack of voice chat has to be at least partially attributed to Capcom since we've seen that software can implement it natively.