Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was originally going to wait for a sale but I have to reward devs who release games on Switch that are native res + 60 fps.

Deserved.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely already got my money's worth, about 75% through. Very good game, lots of cool hidden stuff.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Well deserved. Monster Boy is a contender for my GOTY easily...it really is that good. Well worth the price considering how big this game is and the amount of effort that went into its production.

Any Wonder Boy (or indeed platformer) fan should not miss this game. It is one of the best

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Just let my wife know that IF she's looking for another gift idea for me, this is it. Saw the twitter posts yesterday about the music, and that was enough for me.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Always buy physical. You'll finish more games that way, and you'll buy games that you're actually interested in.
I'm not sure how having the same games but physically would make any difference XD

I never buy physical though for both added space and my hatred of plastic and wasting the planets resources. I gave all my books to charity and bought a kindle for e reading for the same reason :)

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Is this supposed to be a bad week one result for an indie game, especially at that price?

I would have thought this was some great performance, but maybe this one was more expensive to develop.

Edit: devs seem happy. The tone of some posts gave me wrong idea.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Wether or not you think the game is worth the price I think the devs made a huge mistake pricing it at 40. I have no doubt that it would've sold more than tripple if it was priced at 20.

Personally 40 dollars for a 10-15 hr long game is pushing it I will wait until it's 20 or less.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
I am sad that 2D is considered cheap and budget these days.

I am also frustrated that even self professed old school nintendo gamers (who just a little while ago were begging for third party support), now have a hard time justifying a barely premium price.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Well worth it. Second best game of the year behind smash IMO. The wonderboy games are some of my all time favourites and I'm so happy to see it getting a lot of love. Never thought it would happen.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Wether or not you think the game is worth the price I think the devs made a huge mistake pricing it at 40. I have no doubt that it would've sold more than tripple if it was priced at 20.

Personally 40 dollars for a 10-15 hr long game is pushing it I will wait until it's 20 or less.
Be that as it may, I don't think anything below $40 was a choice for them considering all of the licensing costs and how long the game was in development. It's a sad story, for sure, but I also strongly disagree with any sort of notion that a 2D game is somehow not worth a price that is already $20 less than a full priced console game.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017

It's more 20+ hour though I suppose it could be that long if you rushed through it.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and the definition of this as an indy game even though it has the original wonder boy developer, and musical contributions from top japanese video game musicians.

I guess treasure was actually an indy studio all along.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
yeah wish i could've joined the day 1 crowd - i adore the classic wonder boy series (and last year's remake) and if i wasn't broke & moving I'd be all over this. what I'm not gonna do is say it's not worth the asking price.

haven't even finished RDR2 yet but ill jump on this soon! do hope i can find a deal by then though haha

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

This notion of hours per dollar is really destroying games for me. This is why we have open world games with a billion pointless busywork quests. It's why there is grinding and unlocks. It sucks.

This is a 20+ hour game already. It's a huge game packed with variety. It's a great length too.

We don't need more 100+ hour games that most people won't finish.

Spider-Man is shorter even and I actually finished it. We need more games with reasonable run-times that aren't pull of useless busywork.

strideramc

Oct 31, 2017
I balked a bit at the price when I saw it was $40 when this dropped, but after playing, it was well well worth the money. I went digital on launch, but I'm going to double dip and grab a physical copy too.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure how having the same games but physically would make any difference XD

I never buy physical though for both added space and my hatred of plastic and wasting the planets resources. I gave all my books to charity and bought a kindle for e reading for the same reason :)

You know, that's not how it works... that Kindle and the e-books used a lot more of new resources than your existing books sitting on the shelf did.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017

The Switch version sold more. This is pretty awesome. Great to see developers are seeing such great success on Switch.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Is this game an evolution of the wonder boy/monster world formula in some ways or pretty much the same thing?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Let's say the physical version costs $10 to manufacture/distribute. That would mean that the developers would get the same amount of money selling it for $30+manufacturing costs, compared to $10+manufacturing costs to 3 times as many people.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a great game, I'm glad it is relatively successful for its price/release date. I was disappointed that it wasn't being talked about much on Era, although this thread seems to be helping to spread some awareness. It is also not a short game, somewhere in the 20-30 hour range I believe. I've gotten 3 orbs and feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the game.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
It's a major evolution. It's what you'd expect from a modern sequel.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Now I have to get a second mortgage.

Seriously though this will motivate me to pick up The Dragon's Trap again and finish it this time (I liked it well enough but other games got in the way). Then I can move on to Monster Boy.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
What exactly makes this game a "Premium Quality" game over all the direct competitors coming in at $20 like Steamworld Dig 2 and Hollow Knight? This game looks identical in quality in every single way to those 2 games and at launch they were $20. Wheres the $20 tax coming from? Big time publisher? I've never heard of FDG until now. I'm scratching my head here.

i0gtrbxgvzui3jz2cf0b.jpg
$20

large.jpg
$20

monster-boy-screenshot-12-mins-gameplay-footage-820x461.jpg
$40

???? Premium Quality??? Ok...

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
You know, that's not how it works... that Kindle and the e-books used a lot more of new resources than your existing books sitting on the shelf did.
Because i'd never buy new books I haven't read before obviously :/

What exactly makes this game a "Premium Quality" game over all the direct competitors coming in at $20 like Steamworld Dig 2 and Hollow Knight? This game looks identical in quality in every single way to those 2 games and at launch they were $20. Wheres the $20 tax coming from? Big time publisher? I've never heard of FDG until now. I'm scratching my head here.

i0gtrbxgvzui3jz2cf0b.jpg
$20

large.jpg
$20

$40

Not sure if this was intentional or not but that MonsterBoy pic is from a super early version of the game, not the full version, they completely overhauled the artstyle and graphics. It literally looks nothing like that.

Last edited:

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that is a super dishonest post. Also, part of the answer is: the composers, the animators, and the (I assume) the license itself.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017

i0gtrbxgvzui3jz2cf0b.jpg
$20

large.jpg
$20

$40

The answer is level design, level design, and level design. Monster Boy beats them to a pulp at it and I love both Steamworld Dig 2 and Hollow Knight

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The answer is level design, level design, and level design. Monster Boy beats them to a pulp at it and I love both Steamworld Dig 2 and Hollow Knight
Yep. More variety, more art, more music and an insanely high quality.

I adore Steamworld 2 and HK, but this is significantly better from a design standpoint.

That post above really irks me, to be honest. If a game this good isn't worth $40 then what is?

I really hate this race to the bottom.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

Yeh and why does it even matter? If you were only happy to pay $20 then wait for it to go on sale instead of whining about it now.

If you can sell 50'000 in week one at $40 then you made the right choice in terms of pricing. They'll mop up the sales from lower hanging fruit when they inevitably put it on sale a few months down the line

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. More variety, more art, more music and an insanely high quality.

I adore Steamworld 2 and HK, but this is significantly better from a design standpoint.

That post above really irks me, to be honest. If a game this good isn't worth $40 then what is?

I really hate this race to the bottom.

It is because this audience has been educated in a certain way. The race toward graphics is pushing the narrative that value is in big scale 3D games.

The fact that indie games are selling way more on Switch is one of the consequence of that. Nintendo publishes a lot of 2D games alongside smaller titles and don't devaluate their games. They showcase their games with a focus on gameplay ideas rather than graphics (which are improved closer to launch).

We can blame random users on Era but the problem has deeper roots than that.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Please explain further. Why exactly? I don't see anything special in the footage I've seen. I thought the level design was good in those other games too. Also, how is the average gamer supposed to know that and differentiate? I suppose Monster Boy does have a long standing name going back decades so maybe thats what you're paying for.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight being $20 is an absolute steal and they probably should have charged more for it. It was worth more.
It also has totally different circumstances from Monster Boy, which was in development for a long time, is a part of a series with an attached licensing cost and ties to Sega, and also the licensing for all of the big name composers who contributed to the game.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Because i'd never buy new books I haven't read before obviously :/

Not sure if this was intentional or not but that MonsterBoy pic is from a super early version of the game, not the full version, they completely overhauled the artstyle and graphics. It literally looks nothing like that.

Not intentional, just a quick google search. I didn't know there was an uglier earlier version.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight being $20 is an absolute steal and they probably should have charged more for it. It was worth more.
It also has totally different circumstances from Monster Boy, which was in development for a long time, is a part of a series with an attached licensing cost and ties to Sega, and also the licensing for all of the big name composers who contributed to the game.
Hollow knight is $15 which is even crazier.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sad seeing a lot of skepticism about the game in here. But, a great outcome for the developers so far!

I'm still deciding which platform I'm going to pick it up on, but 100% I'll be buying this.