• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus Christ, what is wrong with the gamer community.

We dealt with this issue ages ago when Grant Hill put out that ad telling people to stop using "gay" and "faggot" as a trash talk staple in 2011. That's 7 years ago and we're still having an esports commentator being smug as fuck by talking about it's etymology.

Just don't fucking use it, how hard is it.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Bumping this because lost in all this is that esports people came to his actual defense

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/07/e...hobic-slur-sets-off-unexpectedly-long-debate/

Glad to see Day9 commenting on this, although he goes easy on that guy, giving him too much leeway. I mean, the entire reason why the streamer uses "faggot" to mean "weak willed man" is because that's how many people see homossexual men. We are a lesser being, for them.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Thorin has chose a good amount of "interesting" hills to die on since Overwatch League began, most notably:
  • Defended using Twitch emotes from popular black streamers (Trihex in particular) to harass and belittle black Overwatch League presenter Malik after the former Dallas Fuel tank player "xQc" posted a :trihard: meme directed at Malik while he was on stream. Thorin made a Twitter rant stating that "If you think Twitch emotes are racist or sexist you desperately need help from a mental health professional."
  • Defended pedophilia from former Boston Uprising DPS player "Dreamkazper" who preyed upon his teenage fans and actively sent and received nude pictures with multiple teenage girls.
Overwatch League caster "Montecristo" is his ever admirable, pretentious sidekick who should probably distance himself from him if wants to keep his job. He defends him no matter what, it doesn't paint him in a good light whatsoever.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
People still use that word?
After college and entering into the work force, I haven't hear anyone using that word at all for almost a decade. Or it is so rarely used that I am just forgetting it.
So uncultured tbh.

Then again, I am not part of the audience that watches Twitch and listening to kids yelling all day long in chat.
Twitch has always failed in everything imo.
Like almost every Twitch topic is about a racist, homophobic, or a sexist making the news.
Twitch needs to step up their game and commits to a perma-ban after 3 strikes or something.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Why would you think it's a joke post? He's not wrong.

He is totally wrong.
Even when I was a kid, I didn't throw out slurs.
I might cussed, but only out of frustration due to my mistake or unexpected situation.

My parents taught me better...but whatever, I guess he isn't wrong then if his parents didn't teach him manners, and his view of the world during that time didn't "mature" fast enough like other kids.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Flightly woman who is fast to anger...? Genuinely never heard of that one.

But yeah "do your research" bit is funny. Is he implying that guy was calling people an English dish? Funny they never get to the core of the problem which is just they were desensitized to the word because of people around them and feel like they're not guilty for being in that environment or maybe genuinely don't see the harm in it because they're still around those people who reinforce the bad habits.

I think they just need an authoritative figure in real life to tell them "don't say that word", somebody they respect, someone in a uniform or just someone who has way more money than them, something they can understand. Then the process of cringe-realizing you were being dumb can begin.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kids say stupid shit all the time but how can anyone use the word as an adult in any meaningful way? It was never meant as telling someone they were stupid, that's a simple cop-out. It was always a derogatory gay slur. Fag is an English term I think for cigarette, not sure if anyone says that now.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I said a lot of dumb shit when I was a kid, too - that's kind of how growing up works.
When I was a kid, other kids using that word made me hate and despise myself. Young age is not an excuse. Kids can have empathy if they're taught it. And this man is not a child.

I was a kid once too, and you know what I never did? I never yelled racial slurs on the playground. Because I was taught that was wrong.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kids say stupid shit all the time but how can anyone use the word as an adult in any meaningful way? It was never meant as telling someone they were stupid, that's a simple cop-out. It was always a derogatory gay slur. Fag is an English term I think for cigarette, not sure if anyone says that now.
No one has used that word for its intended purpose in decades. And yet there's a constant sea of shitty dudes online that pull out the dictionary whenever they can, ignorant that words change meaning over time.

Hell, even dudes in more popular non-streamer circles use the slur like plagueofgripes, and he's a goddamn southern american(as in southern states, not south america), in one of the homophobic places in the country. lol

but no one bats an eye at him, and everyone continues to support him

Oct 27, 2017
Thorin has chose a good amount of "interesting" hills to die on since Overwatch League began, most notably:
  • Defended using Twitch emotes from popular black streamers (Trihex in particular) to harass and belittle black Overwatch League presenter Malik after the former Dallas Fuel tank player "xQc" posted a :trihard: meme directed at Malik while he was on stream. Thorin made a Twitter rant stating that "If you think Twitch emotes are racist or sexist you desperately need help from a mental health professional."
  • Defended pedophilia from former Boston Uprising DPS player "Dreamkazper" who preyed upon his teenage fans and actively sent and received nude pictures with multiple teenage girls.
Overwatch League caster "Montecristo" is his ever admirable, pretentious sidekick who should probably distance himself from him if wants to keep his job. He defends him no matter what, it doesn't paint him in a good light whatsoever.

Thooorin was so much more mellow when he had to cover League of Legends because nobody gave a shit about his CSGO content. When he stopped having to cover League of Legends, he stopped having to be as "nice" as he was.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Streamers have gotten away with saying some pretty stupid shit for some time, and I probably would care a lot less if young people weren't most of their viewership. I don't need another generation making the same shitty mistakes I made as a teen.

C8Al_BWUwAAEmaQ.jpg

I used "gay" as a pejorative as a younger teen, and a girl gave me the business, and she had every right to. She made me think about how I used my words, and I changed because of what she told me.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Well those overwatch commentators need to get fired and banned from the community. Like wtf, who cares what the word has meant in the past, it currently is a slur towards gay men. That's like saying the n-word to someone and going "naw to me it means something else, not a slur towards black people". That excuse doesn't absolve you

Oct 28, 2017
The most stupid thing about Thoron's etymological argument is that Merriam-Webster, a US English dictionary, clearly states that its used as an insulting and contemptuous term for a male homosexual. Considering mOE_TV is not British and is instead for all extents and purposes an American, its goddamn clear what he means when he says "faggot".

Roto64

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agreed. When and where I grew up a base level of general homophobia, racism and sexism was just the norm. If he grew up in a similar sort of situation I can understand, we don't choose where or when we're born.

But that's no excuse for a grown-ass man, who lives his life on the internet no less, to still be behaving that way decades later.

That's not to say it's okay to be that way as a kid and if I heard any young person speak that way, I'd call them out. It always shitty, but when you're a kid you can at least say you didn't know better. His fucking excuse is dumb.

I agree. Polygon wrote a good article about how the word, despite what he claims, is still hurtful and has a historical and present meaning of attacking a certain group of people. I hope someone sends that fool that article, in the hopes that somehow, maybe, just maybe, he'll learn something. He's 31 years old for goodness sake. His excuse is pathetic and it speaks about his character (or lack thereof) as a human being.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The most stupid thing about Thoron's etymological argument is that Merriam-Webster, a US English dictionary, clearly states that its used as an insulting and contemptuous term for a male homosexual. Considering mOE_TV is not British and is instead for all extents and purposes an American, its goddamn clear what he means when he says "faggot".
Even if he was British, context makes it clear. 'Faggot' as food item isn't widespread, it's West Midlands/Wales and even then the use of the word as a slur has reduced mention of a relatively unfashionable dish even further. 'Fag' as in cigarette is still used as in 'fag break' but it's pretty bloody obvious in context, if a British chap is talking specifically about another person in a derogatory way and calls them a 'fag' they aren't calling them a tobacco product, any defence of 'I was just calling him a silly cigarette!' is obviously ridiculous given the context and history of how the word is used. If someone is in the office, a known smoker and pointing the door while offering 'fag break?' then it's different. Even then I've noticed that some younger smokers avoid it and are more likely to say 'ciggie?', probably out of not wanting to cause offence through misunderstanding.

Colloquial uses of fag/faggot in the uk in other meanings isn't a defence for using it as a homophobic slur here either.

Last edited:

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
They all know god damn well what the term fag/faggot means and what it has meant in these years of our lives, they are just trying to be sly. It's pathetic to suggest otherwise. Ok guy, when you hear/say the word faggot the default definition of that to you is a "bundle of sticks". Yeah, sure, gotcha. Only do certain cultures say the word "fag" as meaning a cigarette, but do you think they are just randomly calling people cigarettes? lol no.

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
That Thorin tweet is embarrassing. The difference between the old uses of the word and the new use "weak-willed man" is that THAT one was made AFTER the word already became a homophobic slur and is clearly being used as a derogatory reference to the stereotype of gay men.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thorin doesn't work for Blizzard, I'm not even sure what he does other than host a Twitch podcast and write articles.
He's a CSGO analyst if that means anything. I've actively stopped watching majors because tournament orgs kept giving him a mic and camera time, but I'm not sure if he's still making appearances anymore. He's needlessly angsty and edgy as a brand. It's pretty tiring. Now we can see he wants to disregard the context of homophobic slurs too, so add that onto the pile.