Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The scene with guels dad still bothers me

for 12 episodes this guy was a schemer who would never get his own hands dirty when he could do it through someone else, then we're supposed to accept that he will just blindly jump into a mobile suit in an active engagement? It just felt complelty against his characterisation to that point and was just to brute force the scene of guel killing him.

They even threw in the last second line of "this is how i climbed the ladder" to try and justify it, i think even the writers knew at that point it didnt really make sense

I don't think this is too big of an issue.

The biggest difference here from his past schemes is he is being directly attacked. He planned to get away before the attack like his previous schemes, but was betrayed. He's been cornered in a way we haven't seen before, so it's not that unreasonable that he acts differently in a new situation imo.

It would have benefited from setting up he was a skilled pilot beforehand though, I can agree to that.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I knew Prospera wasn't a good person but I wasn't expecting her to be Frank Fontaine.

That was the end of the first cour right?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The scene with guels dad still bothers me

for 12 episodes this guy was a schemer who would never get his own hands dirty when he could do it through someone else, then we're supposed to accept that he will just blindly jump into a mobile suit in an active engagement? It just felt complelty against his characterisation to that point and was just to brute force the scene of guel killing him.

They even threw in the last second line of "this is how i climbed the ladder" to try and justify it, i think even the writers knew at that point it didnt really make sense
Vim is the guy who planned to blow up Delling in the first episode and had his finger right over the remote. I don't think that's a subtle way of killing people, you'd hire someone discretly and never look back. He also didn't expect to be fucked over by Shaddiq, and he might have been the most experienced Pilot to increase their chances of survival because of that unexpected double-cross, he seemed real tilted about it. Guel being a gung-ho pilot might come from his father before he had to yield to corporate work and kneeling to his sponsors.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Vim is the guy who planned to blow up Delling in the first episode and had his finger right over the remote. I don't think that's a subtle way of killing people, you'd hire someone discretly and never look back. He also didn't expect to be fucked over by Shaddiq, and he might have been the most experienced Pilot to increase their chances of survival because of that unexpected double-cross, he seemed real tilted about it. Guel being a gung-ho pilot might come from his father before he had to yield to corporate work and kneeling to his sponsors.

I imagine Vim either knew about the plan to destroy escape ships as well, or expected it once he was double crossed.

Its not too strange to think you might have a better chance in a mobile suit at that point, especially if you think you're a target.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
suletta-eyes.gif

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Mio is surprised at the ending, but I'm not sure what else she was expecting. Suletta looks happy because she managed to save her. Her being annoyed at her smiling after she killed someone is fair game, but if Suletta hadn't have done that her dad or her would have been shot to death. Using a beam weapon at that distance probably would've killed them as well so Suletta did the only thing she could. Aeriel would have probably told her that was the only way as well.

Mio will get over it for sure, but now she's going to see just how powerful and evil Mobile Suits are which hopefully pushes her to push towards the life saving tech even more.

Warptoon

Dec 19, 2020
I think this is too much big brain theory. Suletta shows up in the series with a list of things she wants to do. She has clearly had a very sheltered life before she came to the school. She's just a huge Mama's girl that she'll listen to her even if what she says is wrong. Considering how the entire show seems to be how the parents use their kids for their own gain, it makes sense on a thematic level.

I'm not sure its that far a reach. If anything its two sides of the same coin. What you are talking about it is surface level motivation for the character, while Metroidvania is talking about the technique and motivation for Prospera. This is the 2nd or 3rd time over the course of 12 episodes where Suletta has shown signs of high anxiety and/or imposter syndrome. Prospera has been able to correct the imbalance the majority of the time either directly (by being there in person) or indirectly with the conditioning of the "gain one, gain two" motto.

Now you could write it off as being a mama's girl, but the girl in question can pilot without using the Permet levels. So it feels obvious that Prospera has conditioned Suletta over the years, intentionally, so that Aerial has a pilot that can bring the suit to its full potential.

Otherwise, it seems that the other earthian witches
Are more advanced than Elan-3, which makes you wonder on just how much data Prospera has given them.

Thanks for articulating what I was getting at. This point is what I most curious about. Is the solution something as simple as gender (men can't pilot, and women can) or is there some genetic engineering taking place? It doesn't appear to be limited to location of birth, so I'm hoping mystery pans out.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Mio is surprised at the ending, but I'm not sure what else she was expecting. Suletta looks happy because she managed to save her. Her being annoyed at her smiling after she killed someone is fair game, but if Suletta hadn't have done that her dad or her would have been shot to death. Using a beam weapon at that distance probably would've killed them as well so Suletta did the only thing she could. Aeriel would have probably told her that was the only way as well.

Mio will get over it for sure, but now she's going to see just how powerful and evil Mobile Suits are which hopefully pushes her to push towards the life saving tech even more.

Suletta's actions at the end are a very notable change from how she normally acts, and how she acted earlier in the episode. Going from being shocked at her mother killing someone to doing so unphased at the end should be shocking to anyone that knows her, and should have the audience asking questions as well.

Also, yeah, Aerial could have easily stopped the soldier without killing them, haha.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So uh, BTW, it seems like we're all ignoring something else of note

It seemed to me like Delling was pretty directly saying that Mio's mom was killed in some previous violent incident.

Also, re; the ending scene, it seems like y'all never heard of Adrenaline.

In any case, color me surprised that they basically gave the answer as to the whole deal with "Earthians vs Spacians" and basically directly confirmed the hypothesis about it being "The Elon Musk-types fucked up Earth with their Consumption and then fled to their Mars Colony/There is a 'Planet B' when you're Rich"

In any case, I find it hilarious that cased-rounds is such a big deal for "pollution" when they're blowing up and scrapping several-ton war machines. IDK about you but I'm pretty sure mangling a tank is going to leave behind significantly more Space Trash than conventional bullets.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
10/10

All I want is a happy ending for suletta and mio but it's increasingly unlikely. sulettas mom is manipulating her daughter to a tragic ending. ugh.

that episode fucking delivered my God. wow.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Nooo! What Prospera did to our Tanuki. Poor Miorine and also poor Suletta. Hope they can get a happy ending.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking this for a while but I can't help but think back to the theory that Aerial is Ericht and Suletta is an enhanced person made to look like Ericht (either a clone or they were someone else and were changed like Elan No. 4). Having a trigger phrase built in during whichever process would make a ton of sense.

Alternatively they really are Ericht and Prospera being Mom of the Year did extensive "enhancements" to her, body and mind.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So uh, BTW, it seems like we're all ignoring something else of note

It seemed to me like Delling was pretty directly saying that Mio's mom was killed in some previous violent incident.

Also, re; the ending scene, it seems like y'all never heard of Adrenaline.

In any case, color me surprised that they basically gave the answer as to the whole deal with "Earthians vs Spacians" and basically directly confirmed the hypothesis about it being "The Elon Musk-types fucked up Earth with their Consumption and then fled to their Mars Colony/There is a 'Planet B' when you're Rich"

In any case, I find it hilarious that cased-rounds is such a big deal for "pollution" when they're blowing up and scrapping several-ton war machines. IDK about you but I'm pretty sure mangling a tank is going to leave behind significantly more Space Trash than conventional bullets.
I don't think we are ignoring that detail regarding Delling's wife. It has been telegraphed pretty early that Mio's mom died in something tragic. That was kind of the reason Delling was a bit distant. But he still looked after Mio because of their promise.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for articulating what I was getting at. This point is what I most curious about. Is the solution something as simple as gender (men can't pilot, and women can) or is there some genetic engineering taking place? It doesn't appear to be limited to location of birth, so I'm hoping mystery pans out.
Or maybe its as simple as putting young kids into the cockpit because of their developing brains, the earth witches may have also started young but maybe not as young as Ericht from the prologue.The numbered Elan seem to be oprhans that can get prepared for the job but how young they were for this is not clear. I am not sure what they get implanted with but it looks like the permet stuff that's like a psycho-frame analogue. There must be something in Gundams themselves that can be done to eliminate the risk like with Aerial, and then we get the theories about ghosts in the machine and that being how it can do it. Suletta is special in some way but we'll see how that whole mystery turns out.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
It is kind of ironic that delling almost looks like dad of the year compared to everyone else by seasons end

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I think the ban of using physical bullets in space implying that there was a war between earthian and spacian (drone war?)

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Some unstructured thoughts:

When can I buy the OST? Good God the music during Aerials reintroduction and the rifle blast gave me full body chills

Aerial Rebuild looks SO GOOD and that introduction was perfect. The animation in this episode was exquisite and worth the 2 week wait. So much detail in these mobile suits, damn.

I feel so bad for Guel lmao. Dude is on a trauma train. I just want my boy to have some redemption next cour. Every single time he tries to do something good, it backfires.

Shaddiq needs to pay lol. I love him because he's such a fucking bastard. It all depends on Nika now and whether shes willing to spill the beans to everyone. ChuChu is gonna be so heartbroken man.

I hope Delling survives and we learn more about Miorine's past. This episode felt like the prologue in reverse. Just what the hell happened in the last 20 years? Theres SO MUCH story left to tell and so many mysteries.

I think Suletta is definitely a pawn like Elan 4. Prospera referred to her as "that girl", which seemed really cold. Her not breaking character after bodying those terrorists and manipulating Suletta into killing was bone chilling. WHAT IS HER DEAL. The general parent-child themes in this show has been so good.

The shot of Suletta stepping onto the blood splatter and talking about moving forward was *chefs kiss*

The pilot complaining about physical bullet causing pollution was pretty funny. Its nice these weapons of mass destruction are also eco friendly.

WHEN CAN I BUY THE OST??? CMON MANNNN

AOTY is gonna be brutal but this just might top my list (sorry Bocchi)

Holy fuck this callback I'm screaming

fuZDvIX.jpg

Also this one to a lesser extent

cCf0W7N.jpg

Damn. So good.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

View: https://twitter.com/Yuri_suKi00/status/1612114466044510209

No matter weither is brainwashing or not, Elnora/Prospera manipulates Suletta to killing to protect who she loves...Miorine.

We see in the scene before she is traumatized and shaken her own mother has taken a life and shakes at the prospect of doing it.

Propsera just uses Suletta as a means to an end, even right now with Miorine saying you killed someone she has always seems suspicious of Propsera everytime she met her.

Won't take too long till Miorine knows she has to help Suletta by removing Elorna/Prosperas influence.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhhh yesssssss, there's the brutal trauma Ive been expecting. What an incredible episode. The wait for next cour is gonna be tough.

Oct 27, 2017
It's really hard to miss how careful Prospera is with her words when referring to Suletta.
This episode she just refers to her as "the girl". I'm already sad imagining how Suletta will react when she finds out she's an expendable fake clone daughter.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I've been thinking this for a while but I can't help but think back to the theory that Aerial is Ericht and Suletta is an enhanced person made to look like Ericht (either a clone or they were someone else and were changed like Elan No. 4). Having a trigger phrase built in during whichever process would make a ton of sense.

Alternatively they really are Ericht and Prospera being Mom of the Year did extensive "enhancements" to her, body and mind.

This is one of my first theories as well. Seems possible, but they are playing the details of this story very close to their chest this time which is really fun. Usually Gundam would have shown half the plot twists in the opening by this point lol (Still pissed they showed the Throne Gundams in 00 ONE, ONE DANG EPISODE BEFORE THEY SHOW UP, JUST FCKING WAIT!)

pochi

Oct 25, 2017

My personal theory is that Aerial is Eri, Suletta is the latest clone. The gunbits are previous clones attached to Aerial.
Then Prospera has implanted trigger words to brainwash Suletta.

Daniagatha

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2018
Brazil
So....I watched the 1st episode today and loved it. Trying to be the less spoilerer possible, can someone tell me if it's queer baiting?? Or like...does it go to a good explanation?

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I watched episode 1. Really like it so far. First, please let it not be yuri bait and second, please don't end it with the usual trope that happens a lot with lgbtq+ drama shows and movies.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
So....I watched the 1st episode today and loved it. Trying to be the less spoilerer possible, can someone tell me if it's queer baiting?? Or like...does it go to a good explanation?
I watched episode 1. Really like it so far. First, please let it not be yuri bait and second, please don't end it with the usual trope that happens a lot with lgbtq+ drama shows and movies.
The Prologue is a necessary watch just in case you both skipped it.