pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe im alone on this, and i cant deny the visual quality of keeping the UC stuff as movies/ovas, but i could really go for another 50ish episode tv run for a UC series.

Oct 8, 2019
Sure, you could say that too. The OG characters like Amuro and Char continue to get ton of material and references and they keep going back to their stories too regardless of how many Char clones they make, but I was more talking about the timeline as a whole.

Tomino himself was confused about where the Regild Century stand even back when that show was being made (I.e. before or after Turn A?), and most official sources don't consider G-Reco part of the UC timeline. It might as well be G-Saviour.

My reference to Turn A is more it was an attempt to bring all the disparate timelines together outside of UC through the Black History, so similar to how Marvel is (at least according to rumors) using the multiverse to make things like the Raimi Spider films relevant to the MCU. People generally don't care, and UC is still the core timeline for many.

Reconguista in G is set 500 years after Turn A Gundam, and Turn A Gundam is set 500 years after the end of the UC era.

nekketsunikki.com

Tomino said G Reco takes place 500 years AFTER Turn A

The G Reco cap that Tomino worn during the event won’t be commercialized. I edited the post as I added more tweets and found a partial transcription here. It’s by Inuyou, a nice person …

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
If I remember correctly, this follows an alternate version of CCA (same end results but Hathaway's piece in it is slightly altered). I'm down to check it out.
The novel did, but there's no indication that the movie does too. It's just a small change in who Hathaway actually kills in CCA.

Reconguista in G is set 500 years after Turn A Gundam, and Turn A Gundam is set 500 years after the end of the UC era.

nekketsunikki.com

Tomino said G Reco takes place 500 years AFTER Turn A

The G Reco cap that Tomino worn during the event won’t be commercialized. I edited the post as I added more tweets and found a partial transcription here. It’s by Inuyou, a nice person …
Which in and of itself was a gigantic retcon and makes no sense. My whole point is there's no need to treat the background story of G-Reco seriously because Tomino himself was just trolling at that point.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If I remember correctly, this follows an alternate version of CCA (same end results but Hathaway's piece in it is slightly altered). I'm down to check it out.
We don't know yet if it follows CCA or the Beltorchika's Children version. Which the slight difference being how Hathaway
Was the one to kill Quess or if it was still Chan that did.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty confused by this movie's plot, even though I've read/watch most of the major UC stuff. Plot aside, this movie was pretty fucking good. The visuals were jaw droppingly beautiful, everything from the fantastic 2D animation to the 3D, to the way scenes were directed in the 3D spaces. It perfectly blended 2D and 3D to get the best of both worlds.

There's a scene that really stands out to me where a Gundam is flying and watches a bunch of explosions out in the horizon and then the camera pans to a building getting attack. Normally there wouldn't be much here but because of the 3D they were able to pan the camera to really make you feel the distances between the locations which in turn gave you a great sense of scale.

Speaking of scale, the action scenes also nailed that aspect. Gundam isn't a stranger to having scenes where people are running around while Gundams are fighting around them but I think this movie does that better than any other. Seeing plasma falling around people and burning things, or seeing buildings crack under the weight of Gundams was really cool. The action scenes had tons of little details like that that made those scenes really accelerating.

The more I think about it the more I think this might be my favorite Gundam movie.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
The more I think about it the more I think this might be my favorite Gundam movie.
Yeah I agree with this. Definitely from a production value perspective this is probably the best in the franchise and way better than the last couple that came out (I rewatched NT after I watched this and the difference in animation quality is staggering), and I don't think the plot is that much harder to follow than your standard Tomino fare.

Oct 8, 2019
The novel did, but there's no indication that the movie does too. It's just a small change in who Hathaway actually kills in CCA.

Which in and of itself was a gigantic retcon and makes no sense. My whole point is there's no need to treat the background story of G-Reco seriously because Tomino himself was just trolling at that point.

I dont think Tomino was trolling, with stuff like Kuntala the guy was clearly serious. Its more that Tomino just doesnt care about the specifics. An example is Operation British, he cares about the the general idea which is that Zeon dropped a colony onto the Earth and killed billions of people, but he doesnt care where it dropped, which is why he never bothered to explain that.

The general idea is that some time has past since the Universal Century, and that Reconguista in G comes after Turn A Gundam, how many years doesnt really matter as long as it over a couple hundred.

SunBro

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Well i only follow UC so can't speak for animations from other timelines but god....damn this was absolutely amazing. VERY MUCH looking forward to the next two installments. Any word on a release date for them? 2022 and 2023 i assume?

Oct 27, 2017
Well i only follow UC so can't speak for animations from other timelines but god....damn this was absolutely amazing. VERY MUCH looking forward to the next two installments. Any word on a release date for them? 2022 and 2023 i assume?
Between 0083, Unicorn, and this movie, UC definitely has the best animation of it's OVAs/movies, granted they probably get the biggest budgets, but still

SunBro

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Between 0083, Unicorn, and this movie, UC definitely has the best animation of it's OVAs/movies, granted they probably get the biggest budgets, but still
After finishing unicorn, all i could think was: "well, this is it, the last great UC storyline animation" oh boy did this movie prove me wrong...

If they can keep up this quality with the remaining movies, we're in for an amazing ride.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
That's part of the problem though isn't it? The stories will never come to a satisfying conclusion, and we can't even pretend when something starts that it might because we literally have canon series set far far far into the future that states anything in between is going to be a shit show and there will never be a real happy ending for anyone.

I get to a degree, that's the point and it's not like I don't still enjoy "wow cool robot"... it just means there's no point in investing too much in the world. Just the characters.
One wonders if post-CCA events in UC would have been plotted differently if Sunrise had decided on doing AUs (well, beyond "soft-AUs" like Dragonar) around 1990 instead of thinking that Tomino, Gundam, and UC are all inseparable, thus consistently luring him back for the F91 series-turned-movie and Victory. I mean, isn't this whole UC Next thing basically a means decades after the fact of connecting the familiar events with the disparate late UC stuff (where basically similar things recur)?

Though with Tomino, perhaps it would be just as cyclical even without Bandai pressure (assuming he would even return to Gundam at all.)

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC the producer said they had only recently started production on 2, so it might be more than another year. The location scouting had been delayed by covid.

Oct 27, 2017
One wonders if post-CCA events in UC would have been plotted differently if Sunrise had decided on doing AUs (well, beyond "soft-AUs" like Dragonar) around 1990 instead of thinking that Tomino, Gundam, and UC are all inseparable, thus consistently luring him back for the F91 series-turned-movie and Victory. I mean, isn't this whole UC Next thing basically a means decades after the fact of connecting the familiar events with the disparate late UC stuff (where basically similar things recur)?

Though with Tomino, perhaps it would be just as cyclical even without Bandai pressure (assuming he would even return to Gundam at all.)

I hope whatever comes from UC Next they manage to tone down the newtype magic. It honestly didn't need to go much further than Axis shock. Unicorn got ridiculous by the end and NT was just...wtf

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't think Newtype stuff was that crazy in Unicorn. Since 0079 it allowed them to communicate in some way with the dead, have premonitions, enhance their senses, etc. I guess the craziest thing that happened in Unicorn was
Banagher basically using some kind of light time travel shockwave that stopped the Federation mobile suits by reverting their components back to, like, before they were built or some shit. There's the whole blocking a colony laser thing but that took two Newtypes and two Unicorns. The Full Frontal and Banagher psychedelic trip seemed to be more like they were looking at visions of the past. They weren't actually time traveling right? In NT the Phenex basically did the same thing the Unicorn did but to those bombs. With experimentation and I'm guessing innate ability, Rita basically became a completed Newtype. My hope is that most characters are very far from achieving that and she was just a special case. I definitely don't wanna see any more of those OP abilities. I think Banagher was on his way to becoming that before Riddhe snapped him out of it by telling him he was gonna steal his girl.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Though the mech designs have been known for almost 30 years I can't like them. Most overdesigned Gundams ever. How do you go from simple and elegant designs like the Nu and the F91 to those things?

Oct 25, 2017
So the timeline here is Original Gundam -> 2 other series -> Chars Counterattack -> Unicorn -> Hathaway? Am I getting that right? Didn't Unicorn end with some kind of big event that changed the nature of the universe?

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
So the timeline here is Original Gundam -> 2 other series -> Chars Counterattack -> Unicorn -> Hathaway? Am I getting that right? Didn't Unicorn end with some kind of big event that changed the nature of the universe?

Eh, kind of. It ended with proof that the Federation intentionally hid one of the provisions of the Universal Century charter that promised spacenoids, or more specifically Newtypes, a bigger say in the government. This is part of the reason that the Federation consistently downplays Newtypes, as evidenced by Hathaway saying that they teach that Newtypes don't exist.

You can see with the advance of time to F-91 and Victory that the Federation was losing influence/control but it didn't have an immediate large impact.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
There is supposedly a Unicorn sequel in the works that is rumored to depict the final fall of Neo Zeon since they're in NT but not in Hathaway.
The Federation also seems to be prohibit the research, development, and use of Psychoframes after NT which would explain why they're not really a thing in F91 and beyond
In Hathaway, is is also revealed that
the Federation is suppressing knowledge about Newtypes. Hathaway and Gigi mention that they were taught in school that Newtypes don't exist.

Oct 27, 2017
Did I miss something where the federation started pulling Titans-esqu war crimes again? Is Hathaway being a terrorist supposed to be sympathetic? (except I guess so far he's only strongly suggesting everyone leave earth instead of dropping an asteroid)

But I got the feeling that interacting with regular people on the ground he was starting to have doubts, so maybe that goes somewhere in the next two movies.

Oct 27, 2017
Did I miss something where the federation started pulling Titans-esqu war crimes again? Is Hathaway being a terrorist supposed to be sympathetic? (except I guess so far he's only strongly suggesting everyone leave earth instead of dropping an asteroid)
Well he was a kid during Char's rebellion and a newtype so he probably saw how all the conflicts revolved around Federation vs Colonists, how shit kept getting dropped on Earth and was slowly destroying it, and figured all this conflict would "go away" if everyone just moved into space

Yep, need it badly too.

I just finished Reconguista and it was terrible.
How??

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017

But I got the feeling that interacting with regular people on the ground he was starting to have doubts, so maybe that goes somewhere in the next two movies.
I had to read the Wiki entry for the novelization to find out what the hell was going on. The Federation started up the Man Hunter unit to forcibly relocate the poor and underprivelaged back to space to make room for the wealthy. From that viewpoint, I am 100% on board with Hathaway. Shame they did such a poor job explaining that in the movie (it was alluded to in a brief line when Hathaway was buying souveniers).

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Though the mech designs have been known for almost 30 years I can't like them. Most overdesigned Gundams ever. How do you go from simple and elegant designs like the Nu and the F91 to those things?
Though I agree somewhat especially about the Nu Gundam which IMO is the pinnacle of Gundam design, I still love the bulkiness of Xi and Penelope. But I have always been a sucker for the more bulkier Gundam's like the Double Zeta.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017

In CCA and Hathaway, you see that the Federation is forcibly deporting people to space using the Manhunter units in order to combat the environmental crisis.
However, the elite class of Federation officials and those who are connected with them exempt themselves from this
Hathaway wants EVERYONE regardless of their social standing to leave earth

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Just recently I finished Unicorn which was my first exposure to the UC timeline. I liked it a lot, so I watched the first 10 mins of Hathaway and can already see that it has the potential of being amazing.
Also, the german dub is pretty good?
Anyways, I stopped since this gave me the final push to watch the original movie trilogy first, followed by Chars Counterattack. Helps that those are all on Netflix. Not sure if I'll also go through Zeta since it's recommended to avoid the movie and to watch the full tv series and I don't know if I'm up to that.
As for the first Gundam movie that I just watched, it didn't age that well, haha. Especially the way some of the male characters talk around women, e.g. Amuro.

Oct 25, 2017
I had to read the Wiki entry for the novelization to find out what the hell was going on. The Federation started up the Man Hunter unit to forcibly relocate the poor and underprivelaged back to space to make room for the wealthy. From that viewpoint, I am 100% on board with Hathaway. Shame they did such a poor job explaining that in the movie (it was alluded to in a brief line when Hathaway was buying souveniers).

Honestly, I wasn't bothered by that detail being left out, and knowing its a trilogy I'd assume it would come up in a later movie. I feel like the explanation being
Hathaway has become a terrorist that's rooting out corrupt government officials that are obviously abusing their power
was more than acceptable. Honestly, I felt like this movie had a fairly simple plot, they just don't make it obvious exactly whats going on so that they can play up the reveals. Which is fine, because like I said otherwise it would be pretty straightforward.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
See, I didn't get any of that.

Really wish they had spent more time fleshing that out.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
See, I didn't get any of that.

Really wish they had spent more time fleshing that out.
It definitely should have been more spelt out. Especially since the movie stretched a 1 hr plot into a 1 hr 35 min movie.

Honestly, I wasn't bothered by that detail being left out, and knowing its a trilogy I'd assume it would come up in a later movie. I feel like the explanation being
Hathaway has become a terrorist that's rooting out corrupt government officials that are obviously abusing their power
was more than acceptable. Honestly, I felt like this movie had a fairly simple plot, they just don't make it obvious exactly whats going on so that they can play up the reveals. Which is fine, because like I said otherwise it would be pretty straightforward.
I think it would be fine for a TV series or an OVA series where you have the implicit understanding that this would be episodic and not every episode would necessarily have a proper story arc. But for a movie trilogy, it just doesn't work. Maybe they should have made it an OVA like Unicorn instead.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Well he was a kid during Char's rebellion and a newtype so he probably saw how all the conflicts revolved around Federation vs Colonists, how shit kept getting dropped on Earth and was slowly destroying it, and figured all this conflict would "go away" if everyone just moved into space

How??

What do you mean how?

It was from 2014

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think they might be intentionally toning down how oppressive the Federation is about forcing people into space compared to the novels since it's not something that's mentioned in other animated works, but it does make Hathaway's actions more questionable.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot within the hour. I don't think Narrative was ever intended to leave any lasting impact or even be important to the overall story. It's still incredible how forgettable it is though.

Not important? I thought it was supposed to show why psychoframe tech was never researched again, and why you never hear of it post CCA/Unicorn (well, until Angel Halo in Victory).

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Not important? I thought it was supposed to show why psychoframe tech was never researched again, and why you never hear of it post CCA/Unicorn (well, until Angel Halo in Victory).
I do vaguely remember saying it's too dangerous or something but nothing about them saying they'll stop. I think they said they wanted to keep the Unicorns locked away? We'll probably get a more definitive answer in Unicorn 2. NT's just bad. I never wanna see Jona again.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Is Unicorn 2 actually confirmed?
Also, do we have a release date planned for Hathaway 2 yet?
It's on a timeline of future works that they posted:
20180420184530077.jpg

www.animenewsnetwork.com

Gundam: Hathaway Film Trilogy, Overseas Gundam UC2 Drama Teased

Briefly shown in timeline during event that announced Gundam NT anime

There is no set release date for Hathaway 2 due to the COVID-19 Pandemic making location scouting in Australia difficult.

The reason Hathaway 1 looks so good is because they did extensive location scouting and material gathering in the Philippines for the background art:
pclhp19kfxx61.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be fine for a TV series or an OVA series where you have the implicit understanding that this would be episodic and not every episode would necessarily have a proper story arc. But for a movie trilogy, it just doesn't work. Maybe they should have made it an OVA like Unicorn instead.

A trilogy series isn't super functionally different from a theatrically released OVA series. By the end, it was pretty obvious that Hathaway wasn't going to be a one off.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think F91 would be worth remaking since it was so heavily compromised as a movie, and its follow up is a manga only series that relatively few have actually read. A reboot that combines the original series plans of F91 (or at least redoes the movie's events over a longer period of time) with Crossbones would be worth it imo.