• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
The California woman dubbed "Soho Karen" for falsely accusing a black teen of stealing her iPhone and allegedly attacking him at a Big Apple hotel says she can't be racist because she's a "woman of color."

Miya Ponsetto, 22, made the remarks during a previously filmed interview with "CBS This Morning" anchor Gayle King that was teased on Twitter Monday.

Over the weekend, Ponsetto was charged with attempted robbery, grand larceny, acting in a manner injurious to a child and two counts of attempted assault over the alleged Dec. 26 caught-on-camera attack on 14-year-old Keyon Harrold Jr. at Manhattan's Arlo Hotel.

The teen victim is the son of jazz trumpet player

"In my opinion, I was, like, 'OK, any person walking down could possibly be the person that might've had my phone.' And I, I really didn't, I wasn't racial profiling whatsoever. I'm a woman. I'm Puerto Rican. I'm, like, a woman of color. I'm Italian, Greek, Puerto Rican."

King then asked, "You keep saying you're Puerto Rican. Does that mean that you can't be racist because you're saying you're a woman of color? Is that what you mean?"

"Exactly," Ponsetto replied, prompting King to add, "I would disagree with that."

nypost.com

Miya Ponsetto says she can’t be racist because she’s a ‘woman of color’

The California woman dubbed “Soho Karen” for falsely accusing a black teen of stealing her iPhone and allegedly attacking him at a Big Apple hotel says she can’t be racist because she’s a “woman of…

She also still claims he stole her phone.

edit rest of CBS interview where she doubles down on her behaviour

Last edited:

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
qGhiEIe.gif

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Doubling down on alleging theft after getting her phone back is a bold move.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
This is my personal opinion, but I wouldn't analyze much of what this woman says. It's by no means an excuse and she'll be forever dealing with the repercussions, but she clearly has serious mental health issues right now and probably more going on behind the scenes, but to speculate would be reckless. Stop giving her a platform for everyone's sake, mostly her own.

Edit: welp, see dallow_bg 's post

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
My brother's Filipino, that doesn't stop him from calling black folks the n-word behind their backs.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
In college, I knew one girl who claimed to be half hispanic, had experienced racism herself, and claimed she couldn't be racist because she experienced it.....after her boyfriend admitted to witnessing her acting racist towards blacks.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Uh huh. I would be willing to stake my life on the idea that if it had been a white father and son in the lobby, none of this would have happened.

Oct 27, 2017
This is my personal opinion, but I wouldn't analyze much of what this woman says. It's by no means an excuse and she'll be forever dealing with the repercussions, but she clearly has serious mental health issues right now and probably more going on behind the scenes, but to speculate would be reckless. Stop giving her a platform for everyone's sake, mostly her own.

Edit: welp, see dallow_bg 's post

Or she clearly has been spoilt. Just look at the hat she is wearing. Typical Daddies spoilt little girl who thinks she has no consequences for her actions.

It happens with a lot of rich kids. They think they can get away with anything. It's not a mental health issue. It's a ego issue.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017

according to this anyway

Amazingly, she still clung to the claim that the 14-year-old son of jazz trumpeter Keyon Harrold stole her phone at a Manhattan hotel last month — even though it later emerged to have just been left in an Uber.
As she walked to her car, Ponsetto was asked by a Daily Mail videographer, "Why did you think that kid took your phone? Because he was black?"
"No, because he did," Ponsetto insisted with a chuckle. She remained mum, however, when asked if she was racist or had a drinking problem.

nypost.com

‘Soho Karen’ arrives in LA, still claims Keyon Harrold Jr. stole her iPhone

“Soho Karen” Miya Ponsetto arrived back home in California with a drink in hand — and still blaming a black teen for stealing her misplaced iPhone. The 22-year-old with a history …

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
This racist adult has issues that should be nobody's, and certainly not young Keyon Harrold's, problem.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"In my opinion, I was, like, 'OK, any person walking down could possibly be the person tha--"

ENOUGH.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Btw. Video of her prior DUI arrest was released.

My god. ESPECIALLY as a privileged white woman, why not just offer your hands for the cuffs, take the L, then get a lawyer. I will never get people who could easily get off with a slap on the wrist, fighting and wrestling law enforcement.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Or she clearly has been spoilt. Just look at the hat she is wearing. Typical Daddies spoilt little girl who thinks she has no consequences for her actions.

It happens with a lot of rich kids. They think they can get away with anything. It's not a mental health issue. It's a ego issue.
Yeah this def seems like she's been coddled and has never had any real consequences

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

It's a sixteen dollar hat.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
nypost.com

Miya Ponsetto says she can’t be racist because she’s a ‘woman of color’

The California woman dubbed “Soho Karen” for falsely accusing a black teen of stealing her iPhone and allegedly attacking him at a Big Apple hotel says she can’t be racist because she’s a “woman of…

She also still claims he stole her phone.
I mean it's quite possible that he stole her phone one night, called that same Uber driver to drive him to the hotel, then accidentally left the phone he stole in the car. Then the kind Uber driver returned it to her because he couldn't let such injustice slide. /s

Dumbass was probably drunk as fuck when she lost it based on that DUI video. What a supremely stupid person.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a sixteen dollar hat.

And? Where did I say it was expensive? Price isn't why she's wearing it. She's wearing it to taunt her victims and thinking she's above the law. Her lawyer even told repeatedly to take it off and she refused.

She's clearly thinking straight to try and get under her victims skin. She deserves no sympathy or mental health excuse. She was brought up badly.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, 'cause every other race except white people gets along perfectly with black people.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
By her 'im Italian, Greek, Puerto Rican, footnote to the statement I don't even think she considers herself a person of color full time. She's going to have quite a wake-up call when she gets sent into NYPD's hands and the criminal courts of NYC.

www.nytimes.com

‘I Got Tired of Hunting Black and Hispanic People’ (Published 2019)

Multiple police officers in Brooklyn say they were told by a commander that white and Asian people should be left alone.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Wait she's Italian and Greek too? Every time she shows up in the news she gains a new nationality

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I came into this thread expecting to see a discussion about systematic racism vs bigotry, but turns out this woman is just unhinged.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By her 'im Italian, Greek, Puerto Rican, footnote to the statement I don't even think she considers herself a person of color full time. She's going to have quite a wake-up call when she gets sent into NYPD's hands and the criminal courts of NYC.

www.nytimes.com

‘I Got Tired of Hunting Black and Hispanic People’ (Published 2019)

Multiple police officers in Brooklyn say they were told by a commander that white and Asian people should be left alone.
If this person wasn't so shit, I'd be more generous about leveraging your mix that way. But not her.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Man what kinda fucking fairy tail she living in to think being a PoC means you can't be racist? There are some racist ass Puerto Ricans out there that'll say the nastiest shit about black people and be almost exactly the same skin complexion. It's fuckin wild!